Chelsea 2022-2023: America... fuck yeah?

ztejas

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

what a shitshowing. how the fuck is kai still starting?

puli doesn't even sniff the field. he needs to gtfo of there immediately. potter is playing mount, gallagher, sterling to prep them for England in the WC. puli aint starting and may get the occasional 10-20 mins. what a shitty situation.

He's been playing well, too. I don't get it. He's straight up better than Kai and Mount has dipped in form since last season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

As easy as it is to blame the manager every time, the players also have to execute. Both Puli and Hall missed gimmies that would have put us up by 2 on city.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The finishing is annoying but it's club wide and has been for awhile. I'm not sure what the solution is. Didn't watch the first half but Pulisic and Hall are both getting a lot of praise in general. 

22 hours ago, ztejas said:

The finishing is annoying but it's club wide and has been for awhile. I'm not sure what the solution is. Didn't watch the first half but Pulisic and Hall are both getting a lot of praise in general. 

someone on Reddit said it best.

"I don't understand how Pulisic can be so awesome and horrible at the same time."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how much our midfield has regressed with Kante being out. I felt like Zakaria did a fair job but as soon as he left and you had the trio of Jorg, Kova and Mount it went to shit. Past that Dave is no longer a good option. We are such a different team with James out there. I think Silva is hanging on, Kouli is fair and Cucu is average so far. It appears plenty of changes are on the horizon, but it's past time to consider a turn over in the MF and move on from Kante.

Thus far we are bringing in or are in the team but not yet featured..

Wes Fofana - potentially a upgrade at the CB position pending injuries.

David Fofana - Young striker, seems a reach/depth but we will see.

Andrey Santos - 18 yo Brazilian that could be an answer at Def MF, but not for a couple years.

Chris Nkunku - Big get, but at a position where we don't lack in depth.

Benoît Badiashile - Apparently a FM target. Young tall French CB. Could be the future with Fofana, hasn't signed as of yet.

Targets

Enzo Fernandez - I feel like this is this World Cups' James Rodriguez. Maybe he can be the Jorg replacement that unlocks defenses, but I didn't see that from him at all in the WC. He played hard and had an impact, but I didn't feel he was all that creative. I sorta see him as an Argentinian Mount. Would having two Mason Mounts running around in the MF help?

Declan Rice - Maybe this is the piece Chelsea is waiting for. "Rice’s contract expires in summer of 2024, with option for another year. He will not be sold in January but #WHUFC have conceded they will have to sell him this summer #CFC, #MCFC and #MUFC all keen. Chelsea have the edge despite previous misgivings over Rice."

Joško Gvardio - I think this shipped sailed with his WC effort hence Badi getting signed. Shame too with how good he is going to be.

Bellingham - Unless Boehly has looser pockets than I think, I don't see this one happening. 

Thoughts?

On 1/3/2023 at 4:38 PM, MoJames said:

It's amazing how much our midfield has regressed with Kante being out. I felt like Zakaria did a fair job but as soon as he left and you had the trio of Jorg, Kova and Mount it went to shit. Past that Dave is no longer a good option. We are such a different team with James out there. I think Silva is hanging on, Kouli is fair and Cucu is average so far. It appears plenty of changes are on the horizon, but it's past time to consider a turn over in the MF and move on from Kante.

Thus far we are bringing in or are in the team but not yet featured..

Wes Fofana - potentially a upgrade at the CB position pending injuries.

David Fofana - Young striker, seems a reach/depth but we will see.

Andrey Santos - 18 yo Brazilian that could be an answer at Def MF, but not for a couple years.

Chris Nkunku - Big get, but at a position where we don't lack in depth.

Benoît Badiashile - Apparently a FM target. Young tall French CB. Could be the future with Fofana, hasn't signed as of yet.

Targets

Enzo Fernandez - I feel like this is this World Cups' James Rodriguez. Maybe he can be the Jorg replacement that unlocks defenses, but I didn't see that from him at all in the WC. He played hard and had an impact, but I didn't feel he was all that creative. I sorta see him as an Argentinian Mount. Would having two Mason Mounts running around in the MF help?

Declan Rice - Maybe this is the piece Chelsea is waiting for. "Rice’s contract expires in summer of 2024, with option for another year. He will not be sold in January but #WHUFC have conceded they will have to sell him this summer #CFC, #MCFC and #MUFC all keen. Chelsea have the edge despite previous misgivings over Rice."

Joško Gvardio - I think this shipped sailed with his WC effort hence Badi getting signed. Shame too with how good he is going to be.

Bellingham - Unless Boehly has looser pockets than I think, I don't see this one happening. 

Thoughts?

I haven't been able to watch a bunch this season but there hasn't been much worth watching. We have the same problems in attack. i.e. not scoring goals. I don't need to watch at all to know that. And the D gives up stupid goal after stupid goal.

There is something to the injury bug. Hilariously the injured XI is better than the available pool now they're just missing a CB. 

We can talk players all we want. Ultimately it seems like a tone at the top problem. Whether that's direct management or FO management. It was turning into a problem under Tuchel - granted I think he could/should have been afforded more patience to turn it back around - and it is under Potter. 

We just had a WC to have it evidenced that some of these guys can be brilliant pieces despite not shining for Chelsea. 

Say what you want about him Roman was a great owner when it came to winning trophies. There's nothing to suggest Boehly will follow in-step and there sure as shit isn't anything to suggest Potter will. 

I'm not convinced any lineup is going to solve a bunch of issues at once for the brass at charge. But I wouldn't write it off as a possibility. 

Edited by ztejas

Also - while Tuchel was still here I had been advocating for a total top down rebuild. Instead of doing that they just keep piling on more transfers. I don't see the sense in not shipping a bunch of these guys out and rebuilding a bit more organically to try and let something with real chemistry take hold. 

Completely disagree. We have some players who can finish, but we have no one to unlock the defense. We are 16 in shots in the EPL. Not shots on goal, but shots. We no longer have a Fabergas, Willian, Hazard or Lampard. Right now our leader in assists is Sterling with 3. We have played 17 games and our top assist is 3. 

I'm really not sure what our offensive identity is and I don't know that our players know either.  Whenever I see one of our players actually break the lines and push the ball forward they spend way too much time looking around to try to find a teammate instead of knowing where their teammate should be.  We don't even seem to know how to execute a counter attack when given the opportunity.  We don't work the ball with any purpose, we seem scared to shoot, and the only way we can seem to get a goal is to get lucky and pick up a trash goal when the ball is in contention in our opponent's box.