Anyone ever had a string of shitty luck??

Jameslaw121

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Not like cancer or a child dying or something serious. Just a bunch of little things right in a row.

In the last two weeks:

My wife totaled her car (that wasn't trivial, but it seemed to be the starting point)

2 Days later, she rear-ended a truck. Minor damage, just a radiator and new bumpers.

2 days after getting it back, one of the hose clamps to the radiator broke. So I spent an hour driving like a quarter mile at a time taking back to the shop. Then walked home in like 90 degree heat while carrying my 3 year old on my shoulder

Got home and preheated the oven. When I went to open it, the fucking glass on the door fell off. I'm not even sure how that happens.

Not more than an hour later, the toilet got clogged.

I mean Jesus. It was also Sunday, so I couldn't even get liquor. Wound up walking to Walgreens and buying a box of wine. 

You’ll be getting your non-renewal notice from your insurance company in about a week.

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Not like cancer or a child dying or something serious. Just a bunch of little things right in a row.

In the last two weeks:

My wife totaled her car (that wasn't trivial, but it seemed to be the starting point)

2 Days later, she rear-ended a truck. Minor damage, just a radiator and new bumpers.

2 days after getting it back, one of the hose clamps to the radiator broke. So I spent an hour driving like a quarter mile at a time taking back to the shop. Then walked home in like 90 degree heat while carrying my 3 year old on my shoulder

Got home and preheated the oven. When I went to open it, the fucking glass on the door fell off. I'm not even sure how that happens.

I mean Jesus. It was also Sunday, so I couldn't even get liquor. Wound up walking to Walgreens and buying a box of wine. 

I was going to get on to you about not calling me for a ride, but I guess we were out of town that day.  

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was going to get on to you about not calling me for a ride, but I guess we were out of town that day.  

The place I dropped it off at was only about a mile from our house. It was faster to walk anyway

• Hook 'Em 1

Living in a west campus apartment while at UT:

Wednesday night: Someone busts out my drivers side glass and steals the stereo in my car
Thursday afternoon: Someone steals the parking permit from my car before I replace the window
Thursday night: Car gets towed for not having a parking permit
Friday night: Front tooth knocked out during drunken shenanigans 
Following week: Car gets stolen while parked on the street since I no longer have a parking pass

• Hook 'Em 7

9 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Wednesday night: Someone busts out my drivers side glass and steals the stereo in my car
Thursday afternoon: Someone steals the parking permit from my car before I replace the window
Following week: Car gets stolen while parked on the street since I no longer have a parking pass

Ok. That might be a winner

15 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Talk about weird!

I’ve been banging this married chick lately, she was saying she had been in several car crashes recently, and then was having problems at home too.

Man, sorry to hear you are going through something similar. At least it’s nothing worse, right?

Did you clog that man's toilet you son of a bitch?? Did you?!?! 

• Haha 4

in 5 days.

battery died in my car. it's a newer tahoe so you have to take apart the whole left side of the engine compartment to change a fucking battery. spent 2 hours doing that.

next day, my boat motor decides it doesn't want to go faster than idle. haven't begun to assess that shitshow.

3 days later, there's a power surge. my fancy new AC unit stops working because the new thermostat fried. spent a sweltering afternoon, night, and morning before they could fix it.

• Hook 'Em 1

In 2014 I was going through a divorce while the SEC and FBI were investigating a 40mil fraud by the owner of our firm and then I rear ended someone who didn't indicate and slammed on their brakes to make a turn.   Good times

• Hook 'Em 1

Columbus Day 2015:

1. Astros playing the Royals in the ALDS, end up blowing a 6-2 lead in the top of 8th in Houston, eventually lose series. 

2. Come home after watching the game, my house has been broken into and robbed of all my wife's jewelery and assorted smaller items they can steal (my college ring also stolen).

3. Find out when the police come over that one of our dogs got out, likely during the robbery and ran away. 

What a shitty fucking day. 

Eventually, filed insurance claim replaced some items but wife didn't want to get much of her jewelry replaced.  A good Samaritan found and rescued our dog and we got him back through random Facebook posts, an internet sleuth whose hobbies include trying to find missing dogs for owners trying to locate them helped us out. 

And the Astros won the WS in 2017. 

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

in 5 days.

battery died in my car. it's a newer tahoe so you have to take apart the whole left side of the engine compartment to change a fucking battery. spent 2 hours doing that.

next day, my boat motor decides it doesn't want to go faster than idle. haven't begun to assess that shitshow.

3 days later, there's a power surge. my fancy new AC unit stops working because the new thermostat fried. spent a sweltering afternoon, night, and morning before they could fix it.

Ok, you have a new Tahoe, a boat, and fancy air conditioning. You don’t sound all that distressed. 

3 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Columbus Day 2015:

1. Astros playing the Royals in the ALDS, end up blowing a 6-2 lead in the top of 8th in Houston, eventually lose series. 

2. Come home after watching the game, my house has been broken into and robbed of all my wife's jewelery and assorted smaller items they can steal (my college ring also stolen).

3. Find out when the police come over that one of our dogs got out, likely during the robbery and ran away. 

Eventually, filed insurance claim replaced some items but wife didn't want to get much of her jewelry replaced.  A good Samaritan found and rescued our dog and we got him back through random Facebook posts, an internet sleuth whose hobbies include trying to find missing dogs for owners trying to locate them helped us out. 

And the Astros won the WS in 2017. 

God damnit, was at that game and the ball that went off Correa's glove still stings.

• Rage+1 3

Mine is still possibly ongoing

12/2021 - Timing belt shreds on a car with less than 40,000 miles on it, while on a work trip. Repair guy says he has never seen anything like it.

12/2021 - Woman falls asleep at the wheel and t-bones/sideswipes me in my car. Car totaled, hand broken requiring surgery.

1/2022 - Purchase new truck- 2 weeks after purchase, golf ball size rock smacks front windshield.

4/2022 - Air conditioner freezes up in new truck on a work trip.

5/2022 - Slice tip of middle finger off with a mandolin slicer while cutting carrots.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Yes!  Always wanted to do this.

Username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2003.  TX v Arky.  Good friend (Vol) plans his wedding for that day since TN isn't playing.

Damn.  Guess I'll miss part of the 1st half, then watch the rest at the hotel bar.

I get a score update on the way to the reception.  21-7 Arky.  MotherF!

Get to hotel, bar is closed.  Wtf?

Friend's father tells me TX is down 35-7 at the half.  F it.  Loss.  Guess I'll drink a lot and try to enjoy myself.

Get home in a drunken stupor late that night.  May as well check out what happened to TX.  See it's 21-14 at half.  Wait a min!  We may have actually won this game!  I'll get back at my friend's father another time.  

Press play.  We lose 38-28.  So, I got to experience Texas lose "twice" to Arky.  Boo.

21 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Talk about weird!

I’ve been banging this married chick lately, she was saying she had been in several car crashes recently, and then was having problems at home too.

Man, sorry to hear you are going through something similar. At least it’s nothing worse, right?

did she also mention she was extremely constipated?

22 hours ago, brakeman said:

There was/is a global pandemic.

I'm in healthcare.

I have a four-year-old until November.

No travel work? But Got a little cousin who has parlayed that into a 2 month plus off of euro non work-traveling. Guess the child inhibits that a bit but the money was (is?) good for travel work. Either way, thank you for your service! 

edit: in spirit of the thread, my life has shit foibles left and right. But after I leave this bar I’ll post something more apropos

Edited by achooloco

59 minutes ago, achooloco said:

No travel work? But Got a little cousin who has parlayed that into a 2 month plus off of euro non work-traveling. Guess the child inhibits that a bit but the money was (is?) good for travel work. Either way, thank you for your service! 

edit: in spirit of the thread, my life has shit foibles left and right. But after I leave this bar I’ll post something more apropos

I traveled from 99 to 03 and that rocked. Now, happily married with a kiddo. I am half-a-way through a 30-year mortgage. Running healthcare procedures in a non-ventilated building, we are always masking at work [Cardiac]. If I get sick, I will take it home to my family.
Meanwhile, the CDC continues to dick around with VAX for kids, all the while letting society open up. 
On the other hand, my LLC is operating at about 15% above pre-covid business profits.
Yea! 
COVID-19!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2022 at 5:39 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was going to get on to you about not calling for a tow truck and then Ubering, but nothing...seriously, fucking call a tow truck and Uber home.

Fixed for your brother.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:29 AM, Mez2 said:

Columbus Day 2015:

And the Astros cheated their way to a win in the WS in 2017. 

Fify

On 6/3/2022 at 9:29 AM, Mez2 said:

Columbus Day 2015:

That was the worst day in the history of Texas professional baseball.  I had tickets to the Rangers' game that afternoon (they were leading TOR 2-1 in games), but couldn't go because I had to teach class.  The Astros were leading 6-2 when I left class a little early to get home to watch the Rangers game on TV.  When I got home, KC was still batting, ended up winning 9-6.  By the time that game was over and TV joined the Ranger game, Toronto was up 7-0.  

And two days later, bot HOU and TEX lost to get eliminated.

Edited by Beau Vine

On 6/2/2022 at 4:44 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

In the last two weeks:

If I happen to experience a string of shitty luck now, I’m going to blame it on you. 

In the last two weeks:

https://vlipsy.com/vlip/vegas-vacation-has-anyone-ever-told-you-youre-bad-luck-y7itWS4l

I've got a pretty decent run going. Alternator went out on my car, now there's a battery drain that I can't find. Then woke up this evening and it was 80 in the house. A/C took a shit. No time to investigate before work. Had to take my spare car because my main car had a dead battery.

2003.  TX v Arky.  Good friend (Vol) plans his wedding for that day since TN isn't playing.
Damn.  Guess I'll miss part of the 1st half, then watch the rest at the hotel bar.
I get a score update on the way to the reception.  21-7 Arky.  MotherF!
Get to hotel, bar is closed.  Wtf?
Friend's father tells me TX is down 35-7 at the half.  F it.  Loss.  Guess I'll drink a lot and try to enjoy myself.
Get home in a drunken stupor late that night.  May as well check out what happened to TX.  See it's 21-14 at half.  Wait a min!  We may have actually won this game!  I'll get back at my friend's father another time.  
Press play.  We lose 38-28.  So, I got to experience Texas lose "twice" to Arky.  Boo.

This was the most hungover I’ve ever been at a game. And seeing that tall ass QB Matt Jones run though us like Taysom Hill made me puke during bathroom breaks.
  • Like 1

This past Thursday I returned from a 2 week road trip traveling through the Dakotas.  My orgin was NE Texas.  I left on a Saturday and stopped in Hatings, NE.  On Sunday, June 5th,  I had made my way into southern North Dakota.  I was traveling on a FM road and was passing an 18-wheeler.  As I am passing the 18-wheeler it sounds like it was engaging the engine brakes.  I think to myself, "Great, he is slowing down to let me pass".  After I passed him I continued to hear the sound.  Odd.  Now I am thinking that something is wrong with my truck.  Quickly check all of the gauges, I do not feel an vibration nor loss of power.  The sound is coming from the right front of my truck.  All of a sudden I see my bug deflector on the front of my hood flapping around.  About 18" of it had worked itself loose from the double-sided tape.  So I pull over and have to pry the bug deflector off of my truck in the rain and in the middle of BFE.

On June 7th, while still on the trip, someone opens their door and puts a 2" deep, dark scratch, on my passenger side door.  My truck is white so it is really noticeable.

On June 14th, while still on the trip, I pull over on the side of the road to take a business call.  WHile on the shoulder a series of vehicles pass by.  One of them throws up a rock and takes out my rear window.

On a positive note; Theodore Roosevelt NP is awesome.  As is the Badlands NP, the Black Hills and Custer State Park.

I managed to avoid softball sized hail while I was up there too.

• Like 1