Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe

oSuJeff97

Me before clicking onto the new Jackass and Beavis and Butt-Head movies: "Ya know, I'm older and more mature. I have kids now. This kind of humor really doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'll probably turn it off after 5 minutes."

Me two minutes in:

Monday Night Raw Reaction GIF by WWE

• Haha 4

On 6/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Pretty funny. Judge took one joke and built a 85 minute movie around it. 

He’s made two full length hilarious movies on the same premise, they misinterpret something and think their getting laid and a bunch of hilarious stuff happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh I know where it is, it’s Houston. 

Yeah, this is Houston.

’Cause he has that Houston accent you can’t understand Butthead

Damn it Beavis, it’s not Houston.

Butthead I’m tired of you embarrassing yourself ‘cause you’ve never been to Houston and I have.

Damnit Beavis, why are you so hell-bent on his being Houston?

You know another thing about Houston, it’s not the capitol, a lot of people think it is. 

It’s the second-biggest city in Texas.

Yeah they call it the “Longhorn state”

Thats one of those, like big oil drill things, yeah.

That’s like for the Houston Oilers, you know?

beautiful happy endings GIF

Remember that time we went into your mom’s bedroom and that roofer dude was bouncing around like this on your mom?

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Did the prior series or movie ever confirm Highland was in Texas? I know we all figured it but don’t recall them ever saying it was Texas. I dont think it ever came up in Daria either, just said that they moved from Highland.

I think it was finally openly established in the recent Do the Universe movie, but there's been references going back years.

Judge recently talked to Texas Monthly about it.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/mike-judge-beavis-and-butt-head-return/

"I definitely had a chip on my shoulder about the mainstream entertainment world not understanding Texas,” Mike Judge says. His voice over the phone is thoughtful and unhurried, the opposite of his cartoon alter ids Beavis and Butt-head, although there’s no mistaking Butt-head’s zonked-out baritone lurking under Judge’s own. There’s even a hint of that laugh—the needling huh-huh-huh that once drove so many parents and teachers crazy—which creeps in as the Austin writer and animator explains how he channeled his resentments into two of his most famous characters: a couple of teenage dirtbags who spend their days passing snickering judgment on pop culture from the pulpit of their couch. “You just feel like you’re not connected to show business, so why not make fun of it?” Judge says. “They’re not going to welcome you in, anyway, so just sit there and take shots at it.”

"For one thing, he still prefers to work from Austin, where he settled sometime after Beavis and Butt-head’s fourth season. It allows him to maintain a comfortable distance from coastal media bubbles, which feeds into his distinctive point of view on so-called flyover country. And when Beavis and Butt-head return, Judge promises, their outlier perspective will be made even more specific: “There’s all kinds of Texas references,” he says. “They even say their address—which, you know, doesn’t exist. But Texas looms large in this new stuff.”

Beavis and Butt-head is rarely discussed as a Texas show, but it’s always been rooted here. Judge first developed its main characters while living on the outskirts of Richardson, about fifteen miles north of Dallas, in the early nineties. He was playing bass guitar for local bands at the time, including several years with blues legend Doyle Bramhall. But he was also taking graduate school classes in mathematics and contemplating a future as an actuary or community-college teacher. Judge’s showbiz aspirations seemed about as distant as North Texas is from Hollywood. Things changed when he attended a festival in Dallas and caught an animated short that had been created by a fellow local (though Judge is a little foggy on the details). He was inspired to buy a camera and try making his own cartoons, drawing everything by hand and doing all the voices himself. "

"Judge never meant for Beavis and Butt-head to be Texans, exactly. In the beginning, he says, he envisioned their fictional hometown of Highland as an unspecified void somewhere “between Lubbock and Clovis,” vaguely nestled inside the overlapping plains of West Texas and eastern New Mexico. But during the production of Beavis and Butt-head Do America, Judge explains, “some background artist, without me seeing it, started putting Texas plates on the cars. So then I just gave in to saying, ‘Okay, it’s Texas.’ ”"

"For example, the boys twice hire the ambulance-chasing lawyer Joe Adler, a thinly veiled parody of Houston’s own Jim Adler. They torment a cowboy hat–wearing redneck named Billy Bob, and they repeatedly fail to “score” with Lolita and Tanqueray, two trailer park vixens with flat Texas twangs. Beavis and Butt-head also showed an obvious taste for Texas music, endorsing artists such as Butthole Surfers, MC 900 Ft. Jesus, Pantera, and the Reverend Horton Heat, which gave some of them their widest national exposure. "

And Hank Hill was almost Tom Anderson's son:

But Hank also had an early prototype in Beavis and Butt-head’s Tom Anderson, another beer-drinking good ol’ boy who believes in honesty, hard work, and a well-kept lawn, I tell you what—all of which Beavis and Butt-head gleefully, repeatedly trash. At one point, Judge says, he even considered having Hill be Anderson’s son, but Fox shot him down. Still, the two characters clearly share a philosophy and significance—along with an unmistakable drawl.

Butthead fantasizing about Joanna Gaines, that was funny.

“Lots of dudes are thankful for your mom Beavis.

I mean a lot of dudes.

I mean like hundreds of dudes.”

”On the first Thanksgiving, the pilgrims and Squanto pulled a train on your mom.”

Edited by atomheartbevo

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I promise I’m not being snarky. But I seriously think that was one of the first images I ever saw on the internet.

I suppose that’s better than a friend whose first image on the internet back around 2000 was goatse.   He was in his late thirties and had somehow avoided the internet in the late 90s (he owned/ran a restaurant), but his kids wanted it or needed it for something, so he signed up with Time Warner because there was some discount (it was still their “early bird” days I think) .   I sent him an email to test that his austin.rr.com email was working, and I didn’t think he’d open the fucking link in front of his wife.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 12:33 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Oh I know where it is, it’s Houston. 

Yeah, this is Houston.

’Cause he has that Houston accent you can’t understand Butthead

Damn it Beavis, it’s not Houston.

Butthead I’m tired of you embarrassing yourself ‘cause you’ve never been to Houston and I have.

Damnit Beavis, why are you so hell-bent on his being Houston?

You know another thing about Houston, it’s not the capitol, a lot of people think it is. 

It’s the second-biggest city in Texas.

Yeah they call it the “Longhorn state”

Thats one of those, like big oil drill things, yeah.

That’s like for the Houston Oilers, you know?

beautiful happy endings GIF

Remember that time we went into your mom’s bedroom and that roofer dude was bouncing around like this on your mom?

Somebody posted the Houston segment

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Wish they would add all the old Beavis and butthead to paramount.

They are working on it.  They are restoring the originals (cleaning them up, upsxaling them) and also adding back in music videos, etc. - they finally got the rights to air the original music videos for most of the shows.  The lack of rights to use the music videos was the biggest hold up.

Some people are pleased with being featured on the show

When a producer from Beavis and Butt-head contacted me about using my video I said yes without hesitation! I used to watch the original show on MTV with my son. So to have these two mocking me now is surreal. I gathered some friends, poured some cocktails, and documented the watch party. Like I always say – singing is too important to take seriously!