Ohio St needs $13M to keep team together

crash_davis

this should be a fun thread.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2022/06/ohio-state-believes-it-needs-13-million-in-nil-money-to-keep-its-football-roster-together-doug-lesmerises.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Speaking to about 100 members of the Columbus business community on Thursday morning, Ohio State football coach Ryan Day put a Name, Image and Likeness price tag on what he believes it will take to keep the Ohio State football roster together.

That rate? $13 million.

To some schools engaged in NIL payments at the highest level right now, that number might sound small and quaint. To many other schools in the Big Ten, it may sound gigantic and impossible. As usual, it’s a number that puts Ohio State in the thick of the latest changes to college sports, as the Buckeyes always say they seek to straddle the line of keeping up without going too far.

And while it might be tempting to look at $13 million for an 85-man scholarship football team as $150,000 per player, I think the better calculation is something closer to $500,000 each for the 26 guys you can’t live without.

Ohio State hosted the event at the Covelli Center on campus to unveil an NIL Corporate Ambassador Program to encourage businesses to hire OSU athletes through the athletic department. Businesses get the athletes as endorsers and can provide internship and educational opportunities. And the athletes get paid.

But the event was also a clear signal that Ohio State is making the moves it believes it needs to make to keep up in an unregulated NIL world, where the NCAA is sitting on the sidelines as states and athletic departments implement different rules and hand out millions of dollars in different ways to keep players on their teams, or get players to their teams.

Ohio State, as it often does, is trying to occupy a middle ground. On a 30-minute panel featuring Day, athletic director Gene Smith, and Carey Hoyt, the senior associate AD overseeing the NIL efforts, Smith referenced schools that are basically directly paying recruits through NIL right now, which isn’t technically allowed by NCAA rules but isn’t currently being enforced at all.

“Unscrupulous characters are good at what they do, and it’s always been that way,” Smith said.

So Smith said the Buckeyes won’t get into the world of encouraging straight payments for recruits. Ohio State, both with its new internal program and with its outside collectives, continues to try to tie player payments to actions. On video screens at the event, possible player activities highlighted were brand endorsements, autograph signings, establishing camps, making appearances and promoting businesses.

But the reality is that Ohio State can’t fall behind. Smith and Day said they believe NIL and the transfer portal will sort itself out in the next two to three years. They didn’t offer specifics, but maybe that leads to a structure of the largest and richest athletic departments breaking off to make and follow and new set of rules. In the meantime, Day compared the situation to the speed limit.

“If the speed limit’s 45 miles per hour, and you drive 45 miles per hour, a lot of people are going to pass you by,” Day said. “If you go too fast, you’re going to get pulled over.”

So that’s the middle ground Ohio State said it wants. What is that? Maybe 53 miles per hour? Maybe 57 if the weather is good and the roads are empty?

Day said the Buckeyes have been gathering information by talking to recruits and their families and getting a sense of what other schools might be discussing with NIL deals. He said he believes right now top-shelf quarterbacks require $2 million in NIL money. Major offensive tackles and edge rushers he said are about $1 million.

If you can’t match that, other teams might have a chance to pluck key players from your roster. Day told the assembled potential NIL donors that every player on the team could go in the transfer portal when this season ends, and then field calls from other schools who might be offering NIL deals. Players may feel they have to take that money to help their families.

Unless Ohio State can offer enough to keep them here.

“One phone call, and they’re out the door,” Day said. “We cannot let that happen at Ohio State. I’m not trying to sound the alarm, I’m just trying to be transparent about what we’re dealing with.”

To deal with it, Day set the bar at $13 million. That would include money offered to players by the outside collectives that have already formed to pay Ohio State players. And it would include this new brand ambassador program. As outlined in the 10-page color brochure, no NIL deal can demand that the player stay at Ohio State in order to be paid. And the NIL deals can’t be directly tied for performance -- no touchdown bonuses.

But Ohio State feels it has to do something more. Thursday morning, they made their case to people who can give them money -- a $13 million case.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just spit ballin here, but enrollment at Ohio State is 66k and assume that equates to ~44k couches because some folks live alone. That $13m represents about 1/3 of the couch count for those shit bags (assuming a $500-750 avg purchase price).

image.gif.377f98bc3c601afa48f83ffe69b12016.gif

Edited by tx ind
Forgot the obligatory gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Purchasing players isn’t NIL even if you call it NIL. 

I think this is the problem. Talk to 10 people and you prob get 10 diff answers on what is NIL and what is legal. Sounds like it's all up to the states and schools to define. 

NCAA seems to be like, not my problem. Supreme court made this mess.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m representing five high volume surly posters and they would like it to be known that if this board doesn’t pony up some Best Buy coupons and Mexican Pizzas asap, they will take their talents elsewhere. I look forward to your response. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m representing five high volume surly posters and they would like it to be known that if this board doesn’t pony up some Best Buy coupons and Mexican Pizzas asap, they will take their talents elsewhere. I look forward to your response. 

best i can do is ameros

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

They'll get CFS and McRib and like it.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I think this is the problem. Talk to 10 people and you prob get 10 diff answers on what is NIL and what is legal. Sounds like it's all up to the states and schools to define. 

Adults being paid what the market will pay for their services doesn't really seem like a mess to me. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm all for overzealous boosters writing 6 digit checks for 4 star lineman who end up transferring after one season. It's about fucking time the players had the power.

Eventually the market will regulate itself.

We fully understand you are ok with purchasing players. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

image.jpeg.8b76112fe6b65b1fe06c73e6bdf5f7c0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

So who made the call to set fire to the tOSU DB Room, Day or Knowles? 

Most likely Day because so many transfers came before Knowles coached them in spring ball.

My point is, it cuts both ways. This reads like many players want to leave Columbus and they need some cash to squash it. Regardless, it’s not good. Hopefully the expected Day Regression is here. He has done an admirable job of fending off the inevitable. 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The price for players right now is ridiculously inflated and not sustainable. Give it 2-3 years when these NIL investors are unhappy with their ROI and those prices will go down. Right now, it's a good time to be a talented college football player.

What return do you think they're currently expecting?  This is a dick measuring contest, these boosters want bragging rights, not profit margin.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Adults being paid what the market will pay for their services doesn't really seem like a mess to me. 

Yeah, that's why the pro sports leagues around the world don't have contracts and none have salary caps. Free ass wide open anything goes payment to players in team sports is the best thing for the sport and consumers of the sporting product. 

10 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Yeah, that's why the pro sports leagues around the world don't have contracts and none have salary caps. Free ass wide open anything goes payment to players in team sports is the best thing for the sport and consumers of the sporting product. 

I think his point is that professional sports teams actually have an ownership that ideally would like to make money. If a donor/NIL collective sponsors a player, they are not the “ownership” in this scenario (the school). In fact, the school’s profit is not influenced by the player “payroll”. If you wanna argue that NIL funds not driving on-field success could impact donations, that’s another argument altogether.

If you wanna argue a bigger market team having more money is a bad thing for a sport being competitive/“fair”, that’s a pretty subjective issue. But, it is an objective fact that this is an advantage for Texas right now and I am all for it.

7 hours ago, Octavian said:

I think his point is that professional sports teams actually have an ownership that ideally would like to make money. If a donor/NIL collective sponsors a player, they are not the “ownership” in this scenario (the school). In fact, the school’s profit is not influenced by the player “payroll”. If you wanna argue that NIL funds not driving on-field success could impact donations, that’s another argument altogether.

If you wanna argue a bigger market team having more money is a bad thing for a sport being competitive/“fair”, that’s a pretty subjective issue. But, it is an objective fact that this is an advantage for Texas right now and I am all for it.

If it was just NIL deals then yes buy its quickly become schools just paying players and that would make the players employees yet they have no contracts or rules in place. So we have a system where a player takes money to go to a school and after one year says you gotta pay up more now or I'll leave. There's nothing to stop it from going further and players demanding additional payments half way through a season or else they're sitting and transferring. Or the playoff team's players demanding money or else they sit the playoff game. 

That's not good for the game and will cause chaos. Pro teams have structure and contracts to keep that kind of stuff from happening and this situation needs regulation too or it'll turn into a giant shit show. The NCAA knows this and will let it all happen then say "we told you so". Or at least that's what they're banking on. 

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

What Day is talking about is illegal, though the NCAA will never do anything about it.

Not it is not.  He is discussing keeping a current roster intact and preventing poaching by others.  He isn't saying to put the numbers in front of a recruit to sign.

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The mess is not with the players being paid. The mess is with the uncertainty in terms of "what is legal?" When schools and whole states have different interpretations, it's bad for COLLEGE football. Texas and others have a more conservative interpretation. Aggy and the other SEC schools think NIL means that now they don't have to be secret about it.

So we are back to where we were before with cheating schools still cheating. It will just costs more money for everyone. At the end of it all, we are still talking about COLLEGE athletics and STUDENT athletes. It wasn't supposed to be a semi pro league. But here we are.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The mess is not with the players being paid. The mess is with the uncertainty in terms of "what is legal?" When schools and whole states have different interpretations, it's bad for COLLEGE football. Texas and others have a more conservative interpretation. Aggy and the other SEC schools think NIL means that now they don't have to be secret about it.

So we are back to where we were before with cheating schools still cheating. It will just costs more money for everyone. At the end of it all, we are still talking about COLLEGE athletics and STUDENT athletes. It wasn't supposed to be a semi pro league. But here we are.

But it has been for a very long time.

Up until 2020, NCAA football was just a bunch of Regular Joe students in there with their hardhats and lunchpails scrapping it out for the love of the game. Every year, male students would do try-outs for the team and use scrap, grit, and work ethic to balance rigorous academic pursuits with a little football.

Sure their pads were worn out over the years and their lockers were rusty and a few springs poked through the top of the bus seat covers, but god damnit they worked together and put the team first.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

If it was just NIL deals then yes buy its quickly become schools just paying players and that would make the players employees yet they have no contracts or rules in place. So we have a system where a player takes money to go to a school and after one year says you gotta pay up more now or I'll leave. There's nothing to stop it from going further and players demanding additional payments half way through a season or else they're sitting and transferring. Or the playoff team's players demanding money or else they sit the playoff game. 

That's not good for the game and will cause chaos. Pro teams have structure and contracts to keep that kind of stuff from happening and this situation needs regulation too or it'll turn into a giant shit show. The NCAA knows this and will let it all happen then say "we told you so". Or at least that's what they're banking on. 

Why do you think there are no contracts involved in this?

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

You seem terribly stupid.

15 hours ago, crash_davis said:

You seem terribly stupid.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Why do you think there are no contracts involved in this?

In pro leagues there's a contract you sign that restricts you from leaving whenever you want and joining another team. Without that here this will become chaos. We already saw it with Worthy 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

"Supreme court made this mess" is the thing that was so particularly jaw-droppingly stupid that I briefly considered that you might be trolling.

NCAA was against paying players, NCAA v. Alston. Supreme court rightly ruled that players should compensated for NIL. In May, NCAA passed some clarification on NIL, but only as it relates to recruiting, and does not apply to already enrolled. Schools and states are coming up with their own interpretations. Schools Boosters are blatantly paying players calling it NIL thinking everything is "legal". So yea, from NCAA perspective, Supreme court ruling opened the floodgates of NIL and everyone is scrambling to interpret the mess of what it means.

Edited by crash_davis

21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

NCAA was against paying players, NCAA v. Alston. Supreme court rightly ruled that players should compensated for NIL. In May, NCAA passed some clarification on NIL, but only as it relates to recruiting, and does not apply to already enrolled. Schools and states are coming up with their own interpretations. Schools Boosters are blatantly paying players calling it NIL thinking everything is "legal". So yea, from NCAA perspective, Supreme court ruling opened the floodgates of NIL and everyone is scrambling to interpret the mess of what it means.

Just wait until they're considered employees and start organizing.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:50 PM, Dbeasy said:

My final offer is this. Nothing. Not even the fee for Burnt Ends flair, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.