Arsenal 2022-23: All Or Nothing

shadow_operative

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

everyone is shitting their pants about this, calling it Willian 2.0. stahp. first off, Arteta and Edu get to miss on the next five transfers before we start doubting them. second, all things considered, jorginho should be a more than adequate backup at CM and should absolutely help us win the Prem. i don't give a shit if he's a £30M Kim Kallstrom, if we get that hardware then it was worth it. 

100% this. We were woefully short of MF cover, and I would not have wanted to rely on Sambi in high-leverage matches. Jorginho brings experience at the highest level and has won silverware: Euro 2020, Champions League, Europa League (that last one... sigh).  Jesus and Zinchenko brought in a winning mentality, and hopefully so will Jorg. We can slot him in and give Xhaka and Partey some rest, which will be needed if we don't want them running on vapor in late April and May again.  Maybe this is next-level copium on my part, but his stats this year compare favorably to other MFs:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now lets win the whole freaking thing and go get Rice and Caicedo in the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Exactly what Sambi needs. Regular playing time to regain his confidence and the opportunity to learn under the tutelage if one of the Premier League's greatest midfielders (and the only one to lift a Golden Trophy).  Kid has talent; hopefully this does for him what Marseille did for Saliba.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/25/2023 at 3:57 PM, CooterBrown said:

Elneny was injured but I don’t think they’ve released what it was. He was in street clothes at the last match.

Not a surprise that the club waited to put out an official announcement until the Jorginho deal got finalized: Mo had surgery and is out for "an extended period of time."  Speculation was he had a serious injury and no doubt it factored into how clubs negotiated with us this last week.

By all accounts Mo is the model teammate and lockerroom "glue guy." I feel for him; played well last spring and in his appearances this year.  How long has Mo been with The Arsenal? He played for in Arteta's final home game as a player in 2016.  He's out of contract this summer and hopefully can return before May.  But if his Arsenal career is at last to end, then let it end on a podium while lifting the PL trophy. Also saw a video he and Xhaka are working on their coaching badges by coaching some our youth teams; wouldn't mind him sticking around in that capacity after his playing days.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Odegard has been completely marked out of the match 

Yup. Zinny’s having an off day by his standards, too. 

We’re lucky to be level, honestly. Brentford hit the post, and we needed a flying save from Rambo. Meanwhile our efforts around their box have been tame. 

First goal likely wins. If it is us, they have to come out of their shell, and we likely hit them for two or three. If it is them, they hunker down like crazy and hit us on the break. 

COME ON ARSENAL. 

11 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

So vs Everton and Brentford Arsenal grabs…..1 point.  Fucking shit 

As you pointed out above, Branford are actually really good. We were the only top 7 side to beat them. Drawing against them isn’t a terrible result, but it’s the manner of the draw that has me really concerned. They were unfortunate not to win. We were shambolic at the back and far too wasteful upfront. It is in matches like this where we really miss the link up play Gabriel Jesus provides. Eddie is more of it out and out 9; when teams park the bus against us is when we really need GJ.

It’s the Everton match that really hurt us… cocksuckers couldn’t wait one more match to fire Lamps? Then they hire our own personal kryptinite? They are our matching hand.  Arteta might consider buying Sean Dyche’s MasterClass series on 4-4-2, and studying up. 

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Reminiscent of last season when we just needed one win for 4th and shit the bed like 6 times in a row.

Yup. Flashbacks are starting… Fuck me. 

Edited by Dutch