Arsenal 2022-23: All Or Nothing

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Very true that you don’t want to be leading that metric, but being last by a bit isn’t good either. We can do with rotating a bit more to keep guys fresher at the business end of the season. That balance isn’t easy to find, though. Hopefully adding in the summer will get us closer to it.

I definitely agree.  Even early exits from other trophy hunts didn't leave is fresh enough to compete with City's depth.  We've certainly had worse seasons as far as injuries go, but they really seemed to impact us down the stretch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The longer we go without “Saliba agrees new deal, final details being sorted, Arsenal to announce soon” the more nervous I get. His agent is absolutely doing the right thing for him, as his value to the club was made starkly evident after his injury.  He’s gonna get paid. 

But we do not want him to enter his final year w/no extension and have that hanging over next year.  

Easy for me to say since I’m not signing the check, but 

Pay Me GIF

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

LFG!

we're building something special here boys. 

Hell yes we are.

Ramsdale us in games this year, and he’ll hopefully iron out the mistakes. Goalkeepers reach their peak after age 28; he’s gonna be great.

He gone, and it makes me a bit sad. Mik and Edu better have a replacement in mind, because Zinny’s injury record isn’t great, and Nuno Tavares ain’t a backup for a title challenger. Yes, Kieran didn’t play well last week, but who did? 

It’s going to hard watching him for another club, bombing down the wings and whipping in crosses for waiting forwards to head in, but it’s what he’s great at. He’s not an inverted LB, which is how Arteta wants to play, and it’s obvious that’s not his skill set. He (and we) played well when Zinchenko was hurt in the 1st half of the season, had having a change of pace guy seemed a good option to have. 

Edited by Dutch

Saka’s played 3k+ minutes. That’s 1-1.5k more than most. Mik can’t keep overcooking him. 

Lose the League to City if they close the season with 14 straight wins? Ok. They’re the finished article and know how to close a season. Finish strong on 90 points and set a tone for next year. But to collapse and check out mentally like we’ve done in the past two matches… man it’s worrisome. 

Edited by Dutch

4 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

They’re gassed physically & mentally.  I can’t believe they didn’t change formation at half.  It clearly wasn’t working.  How many relegation zone teams did we boost this season?

Fifty points from the first 19 matches; 31 in the 18 since. We didn’t hit the wall, it slammed into us. Plenty of lessons, brutally painful lessons, from these final 9 matches; hopefully everyone at the club learns from them. 

I guess it could have been worse.  Imagine losing on the last day by goal differential (this is today in Germany):

Bayern Munich won an 11th consecutive Bundesliga title as they beat Cologne to overtake Borussia Dortmund on a thrilling final day.

Dortmund would have won their first title since 2011-12 had they beaten Mainz, but a 2-2 draw opened the door for Bayern.

Or literally having the trophy in the center circle waiting for the other team to lose 2-1 with 85 minutes or so gone . . . 

Really, really happy for Xhaka. His arc could only have been better had he lifted the PL trophy today. 

Glad we ended the season with good vibes. Now, sign 3-4 players, get Saliba inked, and go win the motherfucker next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1