Food shortages

cmontexas

Apparently this is happening and is still getting dismissed as a conservative talking point, but can anyone explain why factories keep burning down? Seems like it would be relatively doable for a small team of operatives to set these fires and impact the food supply in America. Who they're working for and what the motive is up for speculation I suppose.

Or maybe just a run of terrible luck

From May 4

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-processing-fire/fact-check-food-processing-plant-fires-in-2022-are-not-part-of-a-conspiracy-to-trigger-u-s-food-shortages-idUSL2N2WW2CY

To May 31

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/06/02/wright-county-egg-farm-fire/

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

When you run shit flat out, you tend to have problems at times. Plus you are generally working with shit that will burn slash blow up regularly. That being said, he had the biggest individual one day run through beef packing plants in almost 3 years, and starting to run significantly ahead of last year's levels with more capacity to come this summer. Pork production is has improved significantly into the tightest number time of the year as well, and chicken numbers have almost caught back up to pre-bird flu levels. Wholesale beef and pork prices are below year ago levels as well, with cold storage stocks almost at pre-pandemic levels. If you want to be scared be scared, but the meat side of food processing is kicking ass right now under the circumstances. 

always appreciate your insight on this topic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There was also some speculation about distribution/retail facilities being "under attack" this year when the WalMart Warehouse in Indiana and Home Depot in California burned down within a short amount of time.  I think maybe there were other instances, but it might tie into the food facilities theory.

• Hook 'Em 1

The one person I’ve seen posting shit about this is my idiot tin foil hat maga brother in law. Based on that and I don’t believe in a conspiracy across the media to keep things like this hush hush I think it is probably a talking point for crazy people.

• Hook 'Em 8

It's a problem that we caused.  We will start seeing oil refineries go up in smoke pretty soon.  You have bean counters say oh man, we can't do this turn around because oil prices are so low.  Then now you have oil at all time high and we say oh man you can't have this turn around because we have to maximize production.  Shit breaks.  Shit explodes.  Same with the food facilities.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I don't know if this is "normal," but there does seem to be a lot of these occurring. I can't say I've ever pondered how many food production facilities are destroyed each year; but it seems like there have been 18 recently in the U.S. and some around the globe from India to Europe.

With the reported 36,000 food processing plants in the US, I would think that the loss of 18 could be absorbed. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

From the National Fire Protection Association:
Experts say there’s no credence to recent internet rumors that a number of fires at food processing plants across the country are suspicious or in some way linked.
“It’s not unexpected to see fires in these kinds of structures,” said Birgitte Messerschmidt, director of the NFPA Research division. “Fires are not a rare occurrence. We had 490,000 structure fires in 2020 in the United States. We see a lot of fires every year.”
Last month, rumors began to circulate on social media that a string of fires and other destructive incidents, including a plane crash, at food processing plants throughout the United States appeared suspicious—despite no law enforcement officials saying that was the case. Conspiracy theorists implied the blazes were connected in some way and even that the federal government could have something to do with them. 
The rumors came to a head on April 22, when Fox News host Tucker Carlson stoked the conspiracy theorists’ flames, asking his viewers, “What’s going on here?” 
“The story gets weirder,” Carlson, who hosts the most-watched news show on cable, continued. “Food processing plants all over the country seem to be catching fire.” A guest on his show later called the incidents “obviously suspicious.” 
The truth, however, is that nothing is unusual about any of the fires that have occurred in food processing plants over the first few months of the year. Although no data is kept on fires that occur strictly at food processing facilities, the National Fire Incident Reporting System tracks fires within broader categories like manufacturing, refrigerated storage, and agricultural facilities. In 2019, the number of fires at all manufacturing or processing plants in the country topped 5,300—nearly 15 a day. Additionally, more than 2,000 fires occurred in agricultural, grain and livestock, and refrigerated storage facilities, which could all include food processing operations. 
Messerschmidt said food processing plants, like most industrial facilities, are prone to fires. “Food is fuel,” she said. “So as soon as you’re operating with food, you have something that is combustible.” On top of that, Messerschmidt added, you may have heat from cooking, high-pressure systems, combustible dusts, and other risk factors for fires and explosions present at these facilities. 
While Messerschmidt hopes the focus on these fires will shift away from the conspiracy theories surrounding them, she said there is still value to examining what went wrong in particular incidents. 
“We need to pay more attention to the fire protection measures that are in these facilities, make sure they’re maintained, and make sure they continue to function, so that when you are doing work in these kinds of plants you can make sure you control the risk that’s inherent,” she said.
A pretty easy way to tell when something is likely a bullshit conspiracy theory is if you only hear about it from people who are constantly promoting bullshit conspiracy theories. 

That’s what they want you to believe. Wake up sheeple
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

Depends. You knock out 18 Dr Pepper plants, and we could have a serious national emergency. 

Dublin TX stands ready to at least take care of Texas with the real thing. It might require Texasization of Schweppes DP to make it all happen but those bastards are of the same mobster gang as the Chicago rat bastards that stole Whataburger.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Another good way to judge the bs of something that might be a large issue is when the sentence starts with, “why is no one talking about…”

or a similar variation.

“Does anyone else think…”

No, you’re the only person amongst 7.9 billion people who ever had this thought  

• Hook 'Em 2

Another good way to judge the bs of something that might be a large issue is when the sentence starts with, “why is no one talking about…”
or a similar variation.

Or the line “makes ya think, huh?” After they screenshot some conspiracy thing and post on their Instagram story.

23 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

A pretty easy way to tell when something is likely a bullshit conspiracy theory is if you only hear about it from people who are constantly promoting bullshit conspiracy theories. 

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

or a similar variation.

If they've sent you a ZeroHedge link in the past year or so, you should just point and laugh at them.  Damn I miss Art Bell.  At least he could be amusing with the whacko shit.  Now the conspiracy nuts are fucking stroking out over every little thing, as if it's life or death to them.

And the two people who have mentioned conspiracy theories on food production facilities to me, they could each stand to lose a good 50 lbs or more (which is probably why they are scared shitless about this stuff).

16 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Dublin TX stands ready to at least take care of Texas with the real thing. It might require Texasization of Schweppes DP to make it all happen but those bastards are of the same mobster gang as the Chicago rat bastards that stole Whataburger.

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

Still angry at Dr. Pepper for fucking with them.

But their offerings I find in Central Market are pretty damned solid, even if they aren't the name brands.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

Still angry at Dr. Pepper for fucking with them.

But their offerings I find in Central Market are pretty damned solid, even if they aren't the name brands.

Saint Arnold has a root beer brand that is off the charts delicious

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2022 at 3:58 PM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Depends. You knock out 18 Dr Pepper plants, and we could have a serious national emergency. 

Threaten any Diet Coke plant and I will bring out my pitchfork.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:33 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm not worried. Get back to me when the breweries and distilleries are in ashes; until then I'm on Defcon 5.

Don’t you mean DEFCON 1 Professor Falken?

On 6/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, FartingMonk said:

It's a problem that we caused.  We will start seeing oil refineries go up in smoke pretty soon.  You have bean counters say oh man, we can't do this turn around because oil prices are so low.  Then now you have oil at all time high and we say oh man you can't have this turn around because we have to maximize production.  Shit breaks.  Shit explodes.  Same with the food facilities.  

good luck finding contractors for those turnarounds 

On 6/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, FartingMonk said:

So Shakespeare was wrong, we should kill all the bean counters first?