Galveston

RollLeft

Just gotta say, I fucking love Galveston. If I didn’t live in Houston I’m not sure I’d ever really make the trip, but it’s so nice having a beach town ~45 minutes away. Came down for a quick and easy baby moon/birthdays/holiday weekend and it’s exceeded all expectations. We normally just come for a day trip at one of the pocket parks, but got a condo on the sea wall for the weekend this time. A little further East froM the huge crowds, which helps. Didn’t even beach today but hit the naval museum, pleasure pier, and Gaidos and got my full on touristy day out of the way. If the beach (and it’s users) were s little prettier it would be the best gulf beach town IMO.

A9433C27-BA5F-4121-B35C-726284BF7239.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

It’s not really for me, but I do think it’s pretty at night. My wife and I will drive down on Sunday night for dinner. Walk on the beach and drive back to Houston. Usually zero traffic even in the summers. 

Some cool shops in the Wharf. Interesting architecture around town. Good birding.

I’m all out of saying nice things about Galveston. 

• Like 1

I lived there for 5 years, there are times when I do miss it. I currently live in El Paso, so what i miss about Galveston right now is the seafood and rain. Wintertime is the best, early morning walks on the beach with the dog, hardly a soul around, evening time as well. It's a special place. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Galveston is very underrated. I used to love it growing up, but then hated it in my twenties. Now in my mid 30s, learning the history and the culture, its a really great place to have 40 min away. Excellent seafood, solid beaches, cheap rentals/drinks/food, and usually traffic isnt bad. And my kids love it

opinion: the 25 miles between jamaica beach and surfside is one of the prettiest and underrated drives in texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I used to love going to Galveston when I was learning to surf and when I was younger. I suppose it does the trick and the town of Galveston has some pretty cool stuff going on but I'd honestly rather spend my time in Padre.  And to be real once you start traveling more and coming across great beaches, you really hate the set foot in the Gulf there.  I know this isn't a popular opinion but I always warn transplants not to expect much.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:53 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Just gotta say, I fucking love Galveston. If I didn’t live in Houston I’m not sure I’d ever really make the trip, but it’s so nice having a beach town ~45 minutes away. Came down for a quick and easy baby moon/birthdays/holiday weekend and it’s exceeded all expectations. We normally just come for a day trip at one of the pocket parks, but got a condo on the sea wall for the weekend this time. A little further East froM the huge crowds, which helps. Didn’t even beach today but hit the naval museum, pleasure pier, and Gaidos and got my full on touristy day out of the way. If the beach (and it’s users) were s little prettier it would be the best gulf beach town IMO.

A9433C27-BA5F-4121-B35C-726284BF7239.jpeg

Ah, the pancho pearl snap burnt orange shirt, if I'm not mistaken. I'm a big fan. 

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I used to love going to Galveston when I was learning to surf and when I was younger. I suppose it does the trick and the town of Galveston has some pretty cool stuff going on but I'd honestly rather spend my time in Padre.  And to be real once you start traveling more and coming across great beaches, you really hate the set foot in the Gulf there.  I know this isn't a popular opinion but I always warn transplants not to expect much.

I don’t think it’s that unpopular of an opinion. If you calibrate your expectations properly you can have a good time, even if it isn’t Florida/the Yucatán/whatever other GOM beaches that have better water and sand. The biggest thing for me is that I have an almost 2 year old, and a 36-week-pregnant wife, and being able to knock out all the beach activities just 45 min from my house moves it up quite a few notches at this stage in our lives.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, the pancho pearl snap burnt orange shirt, if I'm not mistaken. I'm a big fan. 

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I don’t think it’s that unpopular of an opinion. If you calibrate your expectations properly you can have a good time, even if it isn’t Florida/the Yucatán/whatever other GOM beaches that have better water and sand. The biggest thing for me is that I have an almost 2 year old, and a 36-week-pregnant wife, and being able to knock out all the beach activities just 45 min from my house moves it up quite a few notches at this stage in our lives.

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Yeah, I totally get that... it used to take us about an hour from our house with regular traffic and then "who knows" on the way with the usual Gulf Freeway disaster traffic... when they're young, its great.  Then they get a little older and step in the water in August and it feels like warm whale piss.

My wife and I were talking about G-town over the weekend and how we don't take enough advantage of it being so close. Even for day trips.

Her best friends parents have a house near Jamaica (I think) that they never use.  Like EVER.  They don't even rent it out, I don't believe.

It just sits there a block from the beach.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:59 AM, Dewey said:

I lived there for 5 years, there are times when I do miss it. I currently live in El Paso, so what i miss about Galveston right now is the seafood and rain. Wintertime is the best, early morning walks on the beach with the dog, hardly a soul around, evening time as well. It's a special place. 

did you lose a bet and had to move to El Paso ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

did you lose a bet and had to move to El Paso ?

Nah, work has moved me around the state, Galveston, El Paso, New Braunfels, back to El Paso. If you can tolerate the windy season here, EP is a solid place to live. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

How's Moody Gardens? I'm thinking of a day trip, take my wife to Moody Gardens, then lunch (looking at trying the Black Pearl, if it's not overloaded during the summer) then back out. Maybe do the routine again for the air museum. 

I enjoy it. Prefer the rainforest pyramid, but both are fun.

Black pearl?  Plenty of better places depending on what you are looking for.

Oh and air museum moved up north to clear lake 

try Vargas, Rudy and pacos, shucks, or sugar and rye. 

Edited by FORTY NINE TO ZERO

3 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

I enjoy it. Prefer the rainforest pyramid, but both are fun.

Black pearl?  Plenty of better places depending on what you are looking for.

Oh and air museum moved up north to clear lake 

try Vargas, Rudy and pacos, shucks, or sugar and rye. 

I did not care for Sugar & Rye.  Haven’t been to Shucks yet.

6 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

I did not care for Sugar & Rye.  Haven’t been to Shucks yet.

First time I went I actually didn’t care for it either. We went back 2 weeks ago, and enjoyed it.

Actually of the two “new” restaurants, I perfer Leeland house.  Don’t know I forgot to mention it earlier  

Okay, last ask on this topic. Is the Leeland house pretty crowed for lunch in the summer. As mentioned I'm making this a day trip and don't want to devote 3 hours to getting lunch.

Looked up the air museum and sure enough it's at Ellington. I used to fly in and out of there for work but haven't been there since 1987. There used to be a BBQ place just to the north of the field, pretty ratty looking, but good Q. I think the owners were pretty old in '87 anyone know if it's still around or if there is something worthy of attention at lunch time near Ellington?

22 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Okay, last ask on this topic. Is the Leeland house pretty crowed for lunch in the summer. As mentioned I'm making this a day trip and don't want to devote 3 hours to getting lunch.

Looked up the air museum and sure enough it's at Ellington. I used to fly in and out of there for work but haven't been there since 1987. There used to be a BBQ place just to the north of the field, pretty ratty looking, but good Q. I think the owners were pretty old in '87 anyone know if it's still around or if there is something worthy of attention at lunch time near Ellington?

This will be Leelands first summer open, so not sure.  But so far I’ve always be able to get a seat within 15 mins of showing up.  If packed,  maceos is across the street and that is amazing as well.  Just different style.  Think gulf coast Italian.  It’s ran by the old Galveston Mafia family   

12 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

That was Pe-te's BBQ have been closed down since early 2000's

On 12/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

fyi. Galveston historical foundation just released the tickets for the Tall Ship Elissa day sails in april.    i did this before covid and it was one of the coolest things i have ever done.   if you have interest, i highly recommend you buy asap. they sell out fast. 

have you done the self guided tour?  is it worth it?  thinking of taking my family of 6 but if it's just a "take a walk around" for like 20 minutes it wouldn't be worth it to us.  

4 hours ago, mbtex said:

That was Pe-te's BBQ have been closed down since early 2000's

That was it. Good stuff back in the day. Once, I got back into Ellington around 0700, did paperwork and was headed out the gate at 0945 or so. I slept in my car waiting for them to open. Woke up had BBQ then back to my place over near the gulf freeway and went into the full on food coma.

Sorry to hear they are gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

That was it. Good stuff back in the day. Once, I got back into Ellington around 0700, did paperwork and was headed out the gate at 0945 or so. I slept in my car waiting for them to open. Woke up had BBQ then back to my place over near the gulf freeway and went into the full on food coma.

Sorry to hear they are gone.

Always like the Red Beans and rice with brisket.

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

have you done the self guided tour?  is it worth it?  thinking of taking my family of 6 but if it's just a "take a walk around" for like 20 minutes it wouldn't be worth it to us.  

Did it with my twin (at the time) 5 year olds a few years ago. Killed 30 min but they loved it. Just played on the ship. But yeah, it can be quick

On 6/7/2023 at 9:59 AM, gsoda3 said:

I wandered it as part of a larger event and enjoyed it, I’m also a huge history buff though.

Pretty cool seeing how people lived.  I’ve heard good things about the immigration museum as well. 

I grew up in West Houston and the Jamaica/Pirates/West Beach was where we would meet up. We went down the right after Memorial day and the water was indeed as nice as I have seen it, perhaps ever in Galveston.  I don't know when they stopped the driving on the beach in Pirates but it was nice to be able to walk onto the beach and not have any worries about traffic.  I could see easily how had I stayed in Houston getting a place in Galveston could have been a priority.  But for me living in Austin, driving all the way through Houston to arrive at the place where everyone in Houston goes to the beach, is not worth it for me.

But I did have a good time while I was there.  I would probably like it a lot more in the off season, but that is every beach in all honesty.  My nephew just graduated UT Galveston and is a newly minted Doctor, and I could definitely see potentially living in Galveston (again because I like the off season.).  Im sure if I went down with any consistency I would end up running into quite a few folks from my high school years down there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can anyone recommend me a seafood restaurant in Galveston? There will be about 14 people with several kids so nothing too fancy. We’ve got a beach trip in a few weeks and my father in law wants to take everyone out for dinner one night. I’m looking forward to being a beach bum for a few days 

6 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Can anyone recommend me a seafood restaurant in Galveston? There will be about 14 people with several kids so nothing too fancy. We’ve got a beach trip in a few weeks and my father in law wants to take everyone out for dinner one night. I’m looking forward to being a beach bum for a few days 

14 people?  I’d say gaidos is your best bet.  They can handle that size group easy with reservations 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2023 at 1:45 PM, Hammerin Hank said:

Gaido's as has been said if probably the #1 option.  Though I will say that our meal at Waterman's for a large group was solid and it was cool to see some folks bringing in some fish to the dock below the restaurant.  Plus it's out on the bay side of Pirates beach neat the golf course, if it's close to where you are staying.  Super easy in and out for parking for the group as well.  I have also heard (second hand) that the Landry's in Galveston is actually solid as it's the "flagship" for Fertitta.

• 2 weeks later...

My English friend (traveling on a budget) will be visiting Galveston during the Dickens on the Strand Festival first week in December. 
He would like to know if there are any good mom & pop eateries that are not expensive.

Ideas would be appreciated.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, Armybrat said:

My English friend (traveling on a budget) will be visiting Galveston during the Dickens on the Strand Festival first week in December. 
He would like to know if there are any good mom & pop eateries that are not expensive.

Have him make a note if they need a quick cheap sandwich at Omalley’s Pub 3 blocks up on Post Office.  Should remind him of home and they make a kick ass Reuben.  

A definite mom and pop place is Sonny’s Place.  Feels like you are walking into 1970 when you walk in but you are usually greeted by Sonny himself who has been there for 70+ years I think.  He’s close to 90 now I believe.  Dont be in a rush because nobody moves quick in there but they have some good quality homestyle food.  Grilled muffuletta is the specialty.  Its not in the Strand area but just a couple minute drive up 19th street across Broadway.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, Armybrat said:

We liked Gypsy Joint when we went. Food was good, spot was unique 

Edited by SydneyCarton

• 2 weeks later...