Greenville Super Regional: Texas @ East Carolina

Horny Bull

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

2.82 ERA, 67 Innings, 66 Ks and 15 walks. Started 11 games but only went longer than 4 innings three times. Pitched 9 innings of no-hit ball back on May 6th but since the game went 13 innings he didn't even get the win. 

First few seconds of below clip.    Has a somewhat odd arm angle, hides the ball well, probably throws alot of soft stuff.    ECU may not want him going thru the lineup more than twice.   The 66K - 15 walk ratio is very good but no comparison to Pete at 112 - 18 (amazing).

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, texastough said:

Not sure I agree with your math there Bill

220-221.

I had mistakingly counted his short outing against NC St as a win (loss).

He's had 2 wins where he went 5 and 6 innings. The three others in middle relief. 1.2, 2, and 3 innings. 1 Save. He went 9 against Memphis with a No Decision.

Like @torre said above, they most likely want 3-5 innings from him to keep it close or somehow get a win. Them not starting their guy that is 8-0 on Friday, pretty much means they are hoping for a split Friday-Saturday and then take their chances on Sunday with our third/bullpen.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

220-221.

He's had 2 wins where he went 5 and 6 innings. The three others in middle relief. 1.2, 2, and 3 innings. 1 Save. He went 9 against Memphis with a No Decision.

Like @torre said above, they most likely want 3-5 innings from him to keep it close or somehow get a win. Them not starting their guy that is 8-0 on Friday, pretty much means they are hoping for a split Friday-Saturday and then take their chances on Sunday with our third/bullpen.

Starting pitchers only get a win if they go 5 innings, have the lead when they come out, and the team does not lose the lead

Just now, texastough said:

Starting pitchers only get a win if they go 5 innings, have the lead when they come out, and the team does not lose the lead

REALLY ??  No shit^^^.  

He is credited with a win that I took from THEIR website where he started and went 2 INNINGS. 4/19 against UNCW. Feel free to look it up.

And I found at least one other game (without going through their whole damn schedule) where another pitcher started, went 2 innings, left with a lead, & is ALSO credited with the win. 

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

220-221.

I think it is a good plan and I think we should eagerly take the gift of being able to pitch Hansen against a non-ace to start the series.

I feel better about Johnny All-Staff after Sunday but Gordon can win. I believe in him.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Aint nothin wrong with a hotdog with sauerkraut on it.

True, but if you’re going to do it you should ask first, just like when someone orders iced tea you shouldn’t assume they mean nasty-ass sweet tea…

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I think it is a good plan and I think we should eagerly take the gift of being able to pitch Hansen against a non-ace to start the series.

I feel better about Johnny All-Staff after Sunday but Gordon can win. I believe in him.

Oh heck yea^^^.

I wasn't saying that we are splitting with Gordon going on Saturday, just an opinion as to what they are thinking.

Win with Pete on Friday and Put the pressure on them. Gordon has gotten better throughout the year and especially in tight spots. Get a quality 5-6 or more out of him and bring in Stevens to close them out if needed. 2-0, On to Omaha.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think this weekend was a good blueprint for the pitching plan.  Pete for 7-9 in Game 1, then Gordon/Stevens piggy back in Game 2, and then pray for the best in Game 3.  I think we close it out in 2 though.

Edited by WBT

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Gordon needs to believe in Gordon.  He’s got the stuff,  but sometimes he’s not convinced he does.

‘This is the time for someone to have the, “ You’re a killer!  An assassin!!  You have pieces of these guys in your stool!” talk with him.

3 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Looks to be a symmetrical field.

Not sure of the power alleys, but 400' in center with only 320' at each foul pole. Very LOW fence all the way around (hopefully no fan interference this weekend).

https://ecupirates.com/facilities/lewis-field-at-clark-leclair-stadium/3

Copied from my post in the other thread, here are the numbers I got using the google measuring tool. FWIW. No idea how precise that is.

- RF & LF down the line: ~325 (~15' shorter than the Disch in LF, about the same in RF)

- straight away LF & RF: ~340 (~20' shorter in LF & 10' shorter in RF)

- straight away CF: ~400 

- LF gap: ~375 (about the same as DF)

- RF gap: ~370-375 (maybe a couple feet shorter than DF)

All of LF and the RF line are gonna be very inviting.

If I'm not mistaken 7/8 of their qualified position players bat lefty. Hell of a matchup for us. If it reaches Sunday may even start Luke Harrison.

Always odd playing solid mid-majors especially ones with the history of ECU. Only thing they really lack is CWS appearances and you are just hoping the baseball gods don't make their first trip at the expense of you.

Also kind of funny how the season is sorta coming full circle with a trip back out to the Carolinas where we took some serious lumps on a week long road trip, this time just to North Carolina instead of South Carolina. 

Hardest part is getting to Omaha, if we get there I think we have the best shot to win it all of any team left in the field.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

If I'm not mistaken 7/8 of their qualified position players bat lefty. Hell of a matchup for us. If it reaches Sunday may even start Luke Harrison.

Always odd playing solid mid-majors especially ones with the history of ECU. Only thing they really lack is CWS appearances and you are just hoping the baseball gods don't make their first trip at the expense of you.

Also kind of funny how the season is sorta coming full circle with a trip back out to the Carolinas where we took some serious lumps on a week long road trip, this time just to North Carolina instead of South Carolina. 

Hardest part is getting to Omaha, if we get there I think we have the best shot to win it all of any team left in the field.

You forgetting about Tennessee?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

2.82 ERA, 67 Innings, 66 Ks and 15 walks. Started 11 games but only went longer than 4 innings three times. Pitched 9 innings of no-hit ball back on May 6th but since the game went 13 innings he didn't even get the win. 

Mayhue started against UVA in the regional and had a good stat line:

5 innings

3 hits 

1 run

0 bb

2 ks

5 hours ago, chase25 said:

I've got 7 of their top 11 hitters (by AB's) as lefties.  Three of their best bats (Agnos, Worrell and Makarewicz) all swing it from the right side.  No clue what their splits look like but on the surface, it does seem like a favorable matchup for Pete / Lucas.  

image.png.0c0a06cc4c961f0c4b152d749410b48f.png

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

You forgetting about Tennessee?

The good thing is we would play Tennessee in Game 1 with Sweet Pete on the mound. Hopefully we can send them down to the loser's bracket and watch them get bounced, or at least use up all their arms. 

• Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Weather looks a little iffy on Saturday in Greenville.

Well that is bad and good.

When the game times get screwed up because of weather that is really fucking bad for the fans and dramatically cuts down on attendance and all that. So that's good for the visitor.

But that might also fuck with the pitching rotation and that can be a little delicate for us.

But hopefully we win both games before the bad weather shows up.

Edited by Valmy77

53 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well that is bad and good.

When the game times get screwed up because of weather that is really fucking bad for the fans and dramatically cuts down on attendance and all that. So that's good for the visitor.

But that might also fuck with the pitching rotation and that can be a little delicate for us.

But hopefully we win both games before the bad weather shows up.

Kind of a consistent 45-65% chance of thunderstorms all afternoon. It might not even rain that much, but "lightning in the area" type delays might be frequent.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Kind of a consistent 45-65% chance of thunderstorms all afternoon. It might not even rain that much, but "lightning in the area" type delays might be frequent.

Our game starts at noon so hopefully we can get the game before the long pitching staff fucking up lightning delays.

On 6/8/2022 at 3:14 PM, Gut Wagon said:

Not per se, unless "sword" is really something other than an actual sword. Draw your own conclusion from Wikipedia's definition: 

"Swashbuckler" is a compound of 'swash' (archaic: to swagger with a drawn sword) and 'buckler' (a small shield gripped in the fist) dating from the 16th century."

This right here is a shinning example of why you just have to appreciate this site. Where in fuck, in the entire world, are you going to get this kind of information without researching or even giving a shit? Well done, I say. Here, here!

From one font of useless information to another, swash on, good sir. Swash on.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

It don't make a shit. 

I appreciate their enthusiasm to get their shit packed in, makes it more fun for everybody.  

Yep. It's certainly worked great for aggy over the decades.

Edited by wood

37 minutes ago, torre said:

Pierce has been there with Tulane and Rice, maybe as asst at Houston.

Saw that earlier today. Good that he has that experience and can pass it on. 

Like @Valmy77 stated up posts, these guys have played at collie station, bumfuck lubbock, and even now down at san marcos where fans/johhny come lately(s) can be nasty. 

Nothing shuts up a home crowd better than a 1st inning 3 run Ivan blast.🤘

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Saw that earlier today. Good that he has that experience and can pass it on. 

Like @Valmy77 stated up posts, these guys have played at collie station, bumfuck lubbock, and even now down at san marcos where fans/johhny come lately(s) can be nasty. 

Nothing shuts up a home crowd better than a 1st inning 3 run Ivan blast.🤘

Seriously. Oh and like 80% of the team was in Omaha last year. The crowd won’t do jack shit except make me laugh when we shut them up