Lectric Help

Had storm yesterday and one of the breakers flipped.  It would not flip back to the regular normal position, but would rather stay in the "flipped" position.

I replaced the breaker with a new one and it tests and stays on; but no juice in that sector of the house.

is there any other troubleshooting I can do, or should I call an electrician?

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

Had storm yesterday and one of the breakers flipped.  It would not flip back to the regular normal position, but would rather stay in the "flipped" position.

I replaced the breaker with a new one and it tests and stays on; but no juice in that sector of the house.

is there any other troubleshooting I can do, or should I call an electrician?

Most likely is that a GFCI is on that breaker so see if you can find it. Kitchen, bathrooms... Second most likely (I think) is an outdoor light or outlet. Third most likely (I think) is charring at something that was on during the storm and draws a lot of amperage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

no outlets have one. I checked everything best i could.

Was hoping it would be a GFCI switch like you said.

No burning right at the breaker wire connection? Try one more thing. Switch breakers - disconnect one breaker that is working and move it to the position of the one that is not working and switch the one that is not working into the position of one that is. If that all checks out like you would expect, you are going to be pissed when you call the electrician only to find out that it is the garage GFCI that tripped.

Edited by Bevo

Ok.  Dumb question amnesty requested:

There is one GFCI outlet in the whole house.  It is in the garage in another circuit that is working, but I  popped the GFCI switch on and off.  Then I turned total power off to the main board again and then back on.

Now everything works.  

Time to celebrate or time to call someone?

Just now, Bevo said:

Celebrate... But, I thought code circuitously required 2 in the kitchen, 1 in each bathroom, and one in the garage.

I figured there would be more too.  House is 5 years old.  Things have been pretty spot on/ up to code with everything else.  The developer actually lives in our subdivision, so if there are problems, his guys are on it like white on rice.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Glad you didn't need to bother your husband with this, @slorch.

I can handle most DIY jobs.  Let's just say me and 'lectric have a long, sordid history.  I also don't want my house ending up like this:

AmusingRealCavy-max-1mb.gif

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

I can handle most DIY jobs.  Let's just say me and 'lectric have a long, sordid history.  I also don't want my house ending up like this:

AmusingRealCavy-max-1mb.gif

Agreed.  I only work on my 12v boat electrical.  110v I leave to the pros (except for the very basic stuff).

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

Celebrate... But, I thought code circuitously required 2 in the kitchen, 1 in each bathroom, and one in the garage.

I don't think so.  I believe that code requires that those locations be "GFCI Protected"  Which means that those outlets can be tied to a GFCI elsewhere.  But I'm not an electrical expert.  

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 2

Oh, and just to double down, when it storms again and the garage GFCI won't reset, wait for things to dry out, see which outdoor outlet needs a better weather cover, clean out your gutters especially over said outlet, and reset the GFCI.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gutters are clear of leaves( West Texas LOl) and dirt( West Texas!)

Weather covers are great shape on outdoor outlets, plus they are all under eaves/ on porches.

I am about 90% sure it was the GFCI outlet, as it seemed  to  need to be reset.  10% chance breaker wasn't properly seated on tree in the box.

I don't think so.  I believe that code requires that those locations be "GFCI Protected"  Which means that those outlets can be tied to a GFCI elsewhere.  But I'm not an electrical expert.  

Yeah I’m pretty sure it has to be protected if it’s within so many feet of water. But I’m not sure.

19 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah I’m pretty sure it has to be protected if it’s within so many feet of water. But I’m not sure.

Out here at least, it used to be the rule that if it's within six feet of a water source, protection is required.  About 20 years ago, they changed it to "any above-counter outlet", regardless of location. 

• Like 1

Gutters are clear of leaves( West Texas LOl) and dirt( West Texas!)
Weather covers are great shape on outdoor outlets, plus they are all under eaves/ on porches.

I am about 90% sure it was the GFCI outlet, as it seemed  to  need to be reset.  10% chance breaker wasn't properly seated on tree in the box.

Gutters? I thought it rained mud out there?

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Gutters? I thought it rained mud out there?

LOL.  It does from time to time, thus my "dirt" comment in checking that the gutters  are clear.  The dirt/ sand build up from the sky can be a real thing.