January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Stalin was a total asshole, but he was helpful in defeating Hitler.

You aren't wrong, but Liz isn't the gravest danger right now. 

Not even on the same planet as the gravest danger.  Liz is doing good work despite her past failings, IMO.  She realizes what is at stake.

• Like 1

Fired Fox News editor Chris Stirewalt says he will testify before Jan. 6 riot committee

A former Fox News political editor who was fired by the cable network last year said Friday that he will testify Monday at the House select committee’s next hearing about the pro-Trump Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol.

Chris Stirewalt made the announcement on the NewsNation cable network, where he is the political editor. He said he couldn’t discuss what the testimony would be about.

His announcement came the morning after the committee’s first public hearing on the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection, when hundreds of followers of then-President Donald Trump busted through doors and windows to invade the Capitol and delay Congress’ confirmation of Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 election.

The next hearing is scheduled for 10 a.m. ET Monday and there are five more hearings planned after that. Fox News didn’t carry the hearing live Thursday night as other news and broadcast networks did. Instead, Fox aired two hours of commercial-free programming from right-wing commentators Tucker Carlson, who dismissed the hearing as “propaganda,” and Sean Hannity.

While Fox News did air live images from the hearing, Carlson and others spoke over it, and the camera often focused on the audience and not the footage of the attack on the Capitol. During the hearing, the committee displayed texts from Hannity to then-White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany outlining a post-riot “playbook” for Trump.

Stirewalt came under fire from Trump and his supporters after the Fox News political desk was the first to call Arizona for Biden in November 2020. The state had a recent track record for voting for Republican presidential candidates, so the call stunned the political world and all but confirmed Trump would lose the 2020 election.

Stirewalt was fired in January 2021. Rupert Murdoch, who controls Fox News’ parent company, told The Washington Post that Stirewalt’s dismissal “had nothing to do with the correct Arizona call by the Fox decision desk.”

After Fox fired him, Stirewalt, without mentioning Fox News, said media “hype men” helped push the false narrative that the election was stolen from Trump.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying,” he wrote in a Los Angeles Times op-ed. “But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation.”

Representatives for Fox News and the select committee didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I still can’t wrap my head around this plan of theirs. No one was going to notice or figure out that the electors were fake?

I can't wrap my head around any of it. I don't understand how they ever imagined it would all work - and yet, somehow, it almost did

12 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I still can’t wrap my head around this plan of theirs. No one was going to notice or figure out that the electors were fake?

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I can't wrap my head around any of it. I don't understand how they ever imagined it would all work - and yet, somehow, it almost did

It’s a simulation. That’s the only explanation that doesn’t make me wish for global protonic reversal.

Well, I guess I still kinda do. Just waft away like grains of sand. Or the ghost army in Return of the King. 

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

It’s a simulation. That’s the only explanation that doesn’t make me wish for global protonic reversal.

Well, I guess I still kinda do. Just waft away like grains of sand. Or the ghost army in Return of the King. 

I had a daydream while sitting in traffic where a meteor destroyed the earth and just before I was vaporized I learned the meaning of life. Then the light changed...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I had a daydream while sitting in traffic where a meteor destroyed the earth and just before I was vaporized I learned the meaning of life. Then the light changed...

Also Thanos snap. Any of the above would work. Just peacefully float away. 

but nope. Work to do here. Of some kind. Maybe. Gotta keep trying. My patience is wearing thin though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Fired Fox News editor Chris Stirewalt says he will testify before Jan. 6 riot committee

. . . . . .

After Fox fired him, Stirewalt, without mentioning Fox News, said media “hype men” helped push the false narrative that the election was stolen from Trump.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying,” he wrote in a Los Angeles Times op-ed. “But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation.”

mediately respond to a request for comment.

. . . to steal an election or at least get rich trying

Quiet part, out loud.

But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation.

Yeah, well you were a big part of it, and nobody will forget.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I've never believed in time travel because if it does happen in the future, that means it's already happened and a least one guy would've blown it by now.

Now I'm convinced its real and they came back in the 80s to warn us with the Back to the Future trilogy. They even modeled the villian on the orange clown.

I like to think that right now Biff has the DeLorean and hope McFly's gonna save us soon.

Its far fetched, but it helps me sleep at night.

That, or Clarence is showing me what the world would be like if I had never been born. I hope he gets his wings.
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Garland: "I'm going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

I suppose if Garland doesn't watch the hearings himself and take copious notes nothing will happen because that's how it works. Nobody will brief him on it which is sad because the hearings are the only source of information on this. 

I don't know much about Garland, but the response to his remarks about watching the hearings are pretty absurd.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm just here to point out that not shit is going to happen.

Whenever there is a big congressional presentation, that's all it is...  This is steroids in baseball.  Nothing to see... may keep a few people out of the HoF, but that's about it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I decided to drink Negronis and watch the last episode of Stranger Things.  Put the hearing on my computer this afternoon whilst drafting discovery.  If I had watched this last night I might have rage drunk myself to into a coma.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

“No guns”. Um yeah if they brought guns and started shooting cops, we’d have a bunch of dead Trumpers right now. That day would have gone much differently.

you see, all of the tourists had their GIANT BACKPACKS inspected before they got to the capitol, they photographed the contents and posted them online

THOUSANDS of perfect backpacks

excellent backpacks

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

Brought to you by the same people who, 9 years after Snowden, thought it was a good idea to insure their cell phones made the attempted coup d' etat the most videocaptured crime in planetary history.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

“No guns”. Um yeah if they brought guns and started shooting cops, we’d have a bunch of dead Trumpers right now. That day would have gone much differently.

Also, this is a flat-out, 100% LIE.  Like everything a Republican ever says, IT IS A LIE.

An Indiana man charged with carrying a loaded firearm to the Capitol on Jan. 6 told investigators that if he had found Speaker Nancy Pelosi, “you’d be here for another reason,” according to court documents posted over the weekend.

Mark Mazza, 56, is the latest of about half a dozen Jan. 6 defendants charged with bringing a gun to the Capitol. In this case, Mazza allegedly carried a Taurus revolver known as “The Judge,” which is capable of firing shotgun shells — two of which were in the chamber, along with three hollow-point bullets. A Capitol Police sergeant obtained the weapon after allegedly fending off an assault from Mazza.

According to the charging documents in the case, two Capitol Police investigators visited Mazza at his home in Shelbyville, Ind., on March 29, and he admitted attending the Jan. 6 “Stop the Steal” rally and later marched with the crowd to the Capitol. Camera footage shows Mazza present during the most intense hand-to-hand violence of the day in the Capitol’s lower West terrace tunnel.

“I thought Nan and I would hit it off,” Mazza told investigators as they prepared to finish their interview. “I was glad I didn’t because you’d be here for another reason and I told my kids that if they show up, I’m surrendering, nope they can have me, because I may go down a hero.”

Though reports of rioters charged with carrying firearms have been limited, the number has been steadily climbing. A former DEA agent brandished his service weapon outside the Capitol. A Texas man was charged with bringing a handgun as well. Leaders of the Oath Keepers charged with conspiring to prevent Congress from certifying the 2020 election aren’t facing firearms charges, but prosecutors have pieced together evidence suggesting they kept a stockpile of weapons at a hotel in nearby Arlington, Va.

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

This should be Ginni’s time in the barrel.

She should go to prison.

Then she should go to hell, that evil fucking psychopath bitch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I didn’t watch last night because it was father-son time and I don’t want to subject him to that kind of conservative degeneracy yet. How much footage of Trump speaking is there? I’ve actively avoided hearing that demonically possessed evangelical whisperer since that day and life is better for it. Maybe vid-angel has a trump filter.

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

I didn’t watch last night because it was father-son time and I don’t want to subject him to that kind of conservative degeneracy yet. How much footage of Trump speaking is there? I’ve actively avoided hearing that demonically possessed evangelical whisperer since that day and life is better for it. Maybe vid-angel has a trump filter.

Very little to none from what I recall.  I had it on in the background today while working.

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Very little to none from what I recall.  I had it on in the background today while working.

There was some from his speech in front of the White House.

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

these fucking people

There were NO guns

Just pipe bombs, shields used as weapons, and flagsticks used to beat officers. The guns were only in a hotel room of the Proud Boys ready to be called at a moment's notice!

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

If the fake electors didn't work, it would only add more fuel to the "this election shouldn't be certified" argument, or disqualify the votes from that state.  That would then throw the vote to the House delegations, who would have certainly had 26+ states vote for Trump.  That was just one of the possible winning moves for the "Stop the Steal" crowd. That process,of course, would have wound up in front of the Supreme Court, and I have no idea which way the 5-4 would have ruled on that.  

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

There were NO guns

Just pipe bombs, shields used as weapons, and flagsticks used to beat officers. The guns were only in a hotel room of the Proud Boys ready to be called at a moment's notice!

calm down people. kids are more likely to die in a car accident than in a violent insurrection. 

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I suppose if Garland doesn't watch the hearings himself and take copious notes nothing will happen because that's how it works. Nobody will brief him on it which is sad because the hearings are the only source of information on this. 

I don't know much about Garland, but the response to his remarks about watching the hearings are pretty absurd.

381pjk.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

That said, watching should infuriate him and motivate him to overcome the naysayers.

It's not like he (his minions) don't have access (or will not soon) to all of the evidence in admissible form.  

Probably a good way to see what rhetorical tactics work and don't work.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not like he (his minions) don't have access (or will not soon) to all of the evidence in admissible form.  

I've been going on the assumption that he's already seen everything they presented last night.  I would think it would be wise to run potential evidence by him just to make sure they don't unwittingly poison the well.

But, that's legal thought, and I'm no lawyer, so take what I think with a giant grain of salt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

53 minutes ago, Mole said:

Not much, but they were showing some of the footage of the violence while at the same time overlaying his voice talking about how peaceful and full of love the crowd was.  Thought that was pretty fucking effective, and was a rare exception where I can stomach hearing that guy talk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Not much, but they were showing some of the footage of the violence while at the same time overlaying his voice talking about how peaceful and full of love the crowd was.  Thought that was pretty fucking effective, and was a rare exception where I can stomach hearing that guy talk.

Same. I thought that part was very powerful. The problem is that only 20 million people watched last night. A Congressional committe hearing about the most historically consequential transfer of power and only 20 million Americans could be bothered to watch. It only further reinforces that politics is a team sport and nothing matters except the letter next to the candidate's name.

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been going on the assumption that he's already seen everything they presented last night.  I would think it would be wise to run potential evidence by him just to make sure they don't unwittingly poison the well.

But, that's legal thought, and I'm no lawyer, so take what I think with a giant grain of salt.

I would have assumed that, also, but there was a recent report that the Committee was not sharing deposition transcripts with the DOJ.

That baffled me, but DDD Dad suggested that it was to avoid the inference of a law-enforcement purpose.  So there may be some "Chinese walls" between the Committee and the DOJ, at least until the investigation was complete.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Likewise, I used to be opposed to same-sex "marriage."  I had enough internal discomfort about homosexuality that I held onto a position that "yes, they should have all the LEGAL rights everyone else has, but you shouldn't call it 'marriage,' because that's something special reserved for men and women."  Now, the more I forced myself to think about it logically, and consistently with other principles that I believed in, I realized that I was being both an asshole and a dumbass.  I was wrong to oppose same sex 'marriage.'

Same here. I was wrong, too. 

9 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Meh, didn't Round Rock and Georgetown (Williamson County) go Blue in 2020?  If so, I think you might mean Hays county for Austin.  

Hays County voted blue last election.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Same here. I was wrong, too. 

I was mildly homophobic growing up.  Definitely "love the sinner, hate the sin" in my perspective, but it was real.

Then I joined a music group of ~ 130 guys, some 30% of whom were gay.  My perspective changed rapidly, and I assure you, none of the gay guys were interested in me.

Whether it's passive or active bigotry, it's hard to escape one's upbringing, until life circumstances start to bring certain things to light.  It's why I retain a modest level of sympathy for some of America's bigots, be they bigots over race, sexuality, whatever.

"Modest."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1