January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Unfortunately, "Illegal" in that context doesn't necessarily mean in violation of criminal laws.  It's akin to "It's illegal to breach a contract" or "discrimination on the basis of race or sex is illegal."

A better word would probably be unlawful.

What about “capricious and arbitrary”?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Unfortunately, "Illegal" in that context doesn't necessarily mean in violation of criminal laws.  It's akin to "It's illegal to breach a contract" or "discrimination on the basis of race or sex is illegal."

A better word would probably be unlawful.

Lawyer Dad strikes again!

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Lawyer Dad strikes again!

The point being that, any DOJ trepidation or not, Eastman likely will not be charged with a crime, because I know of no crime that was committed.

ETA:  if they can closely tie Eastman to the scheme to "suspend" or otherwise obstruct the count, then he may be guilty of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The point being that, any DOJ trepidation or not, Eastman likely will not be charged with a crime, because I know of no crime that was committed.

ETA:  if they can closely tie Eastman to the scheme to "suspend" or otherwise obstruct the count, then he may be guilty of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding.

I can't see them bringing it, but I think there's a reasonable case to be made against Eastman for seditious conspiracy.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Eastman is fucked? Lol. At his point, my money is on Eastman comfortably dying in his sleep...probably with his dick still in Bobert's mouth. 

Yep. He'll become the Dean of Law at a private university and live comfortably knowing he worked to overthrow the will of the American people.

image.thumb.png.d87673c3b8a0b953e56b8179df5752ec.png

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, strenuously frowned upon?

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

No wonder this country is going down the tubes.

Everyone’s main takeaway is to bitch about the presentation style of the speaker and not discussing the actual important substance of his testimony.

If real life isn’t as interesting as episode of “Better Call Saul”, we can’t be bothered.

We are going to get the idiotic malevolent country we deserve.

The presentation has been mostly really solid. I’m concerned that a lot of people who need to see it aren’t paying attention. But at least we don’t have people like Jim Jordan and Lindsey Graham screaming and hollering and grandstanding, trying to create a distraction.

But Michael Luttig sucks as a public speaker and maybe he’s trying to milk his time in the spotlight a little too much. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with making that observation. It doesn’t mean what he’s saying is wrong. But Jesus, just show me the transcript. Trying to listen to him is fucking brutal.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I can't see them bringing it, but I think there's a reasonable case to be made against Eastman for seditious conspiracy.

I think all prongs of seditious conspiracy require "by force," so, no, I don't see it, except for Proud Boys and Oathkeeper types.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think all prongs of seditious conspiracy require "by force," so, no, I don't see it, except for Proud Boys and Oathkeeper types.

It's clear he anticipated violence. So far, only the actually violent people have been charged with seditious conspiracy, but if he anticipated violence and was conspiring with others who were planning violence, I think that meets the statutory elements.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Democrats would absolutely settle, just as they have in NY and DC for minimal compensation, if any.  

21 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

It's funny because he talks slow.

He's being deliberate in his oration, not to speak a word out of line, since it can be later parsed against him and the committee.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

No wonder this country is going down the tubes.

Everyone’s main takeaway is to bitch about the presentation style of the speaker and not discussing the actual important substance of his testimony.

If real life isn’t as interesting as episode of “Better Call Saul”, we can’t be bothered.

We are going to get the idiotic malevolent country we deserve.

It's over. The question isn't if the country will continue to decline and degrade in terms of quality of life for Americans. It's how quickly does it happen and how bad does it get.

The American empire is being brought down by misinformation, ignorance, and greed. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

So all this stuff coming to light and the lost court cases (0-62) all mean that states creating false election adjustment laws based on nothing will now get corrected?  Especially since they were unfounded.  I expect they'll do the right thing since they've been exposed as frauds.  Yeah, this probably is a nothing burger when it's all said and done. We came, we saw, we spoke and we dispersed to allow the lawbreakers to continue breaking shit.  It's worse than being a child and watching the Ollie North hearings knowing full well he's lying and nothing happening.  Now the revolution and subverted government is our own and it's still a shit show. The only logical next step in this sequence is the actual overthrow of our democracy.  That's what this hearing is about, except without teeth.  It's maddening.

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I’d love to learn more about Eastman’s back channel to the Supreme Court that he bragged about in one of his many incriminating emails.

It's my understanding that Eastman clerked for Thomas.

I can accept Trump was capable of acting out his part in all this, and I know where Eastman fits in, but I just don't see Trump being bright enough to put this plan together.  Bannon?  Flynn?    I mean we can go way back on this, because he's been using the same tactics for years.  Discrediting the media and even before 2016 he stated more than once how the only way he could lose an election would be because it was rigged.   

In his earlier life I would have figured Roy Cohn was the evil behind the throne, but I hope they know who it is now and will fully expose them.   

5 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

So all this stuff coming to light and the lost court cases (0-62) all mean that states creating false election adjustment laws based on nothing will now get corrected?  Especially since they were unfounded.  I expect they'll do the right thing since they've been exposed as frauds.  Yeah, this probably is a nothing burger when it's all said and done. We came, we saw, we spoke and we dispersed to allow the lawbreakers to continue breaking shit.  It's worse than being a child and watching the Ollie North hearings knowing full well he's lying and nothing happening.  Now the revolution and subverted government is our own and it's still a shit show. The only logical next step in this sequence is the actual overthrow of our democracy.  That's what this hearing is about, except without teeth.  It's maddening.

And with bad inflation and $5+ gallons of gas the democrats are going to get routed in November and probably during the next presidential election.  And we'll be back to trumpism except this time with the knowledge no consequences will come for anything. The corruption will magnify and the decline will accelerate. A decade ago I was confident the country could remain relatively comfortable for the American population for the next 30 years. Now I'm not sure how bad 10 years from now looks like. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I wonder if the time Trump called Pence a “pussy” will come up in the hearing. Said it to his face regarding his refusal to overturn the election. That was reported by Jonathan Karl in his book Betrayal.

Drink!

• Like 1