January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Who the fuck is calling him a hero? All i've seen is a modicum of appreciation that he appears to have had a line that saved us from civil war. Same with Pence, he did the right thing in a particular moment in time and is still a repressed piece of fuck.

Well this guy for one, but I see your point with Barr. More of us think of him as a weasly evil fuck than a hero.

There is something grating about the credit these former Trump insiders are getting in snitching on him, because they aided and abetted Trumpism along the way.

Republicans can all go to hell imo. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I have no doubt that Cruz (or any other Trump sycophant) in the same position as Pence would have declared Trump the winner of the 2020 Election. 
Cruz would have gladly done so in exchange for Trump naming him to the Supreme Court or, what the fuck since doing so would have essentially voided our constitution, proclaimed Cruz emperor of Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Who the fuck is calling him a hero? All i've seen is a modicum of appreciation that he appears to have had a line he refused to cross that saved us from civil war. Same with Pence, he did the right thing in a particular moment in time and is still a repressed piece of fuck.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Fucker has some gall to knowing push his bullshit and when it literally blows up in his face on 1/6, to them ask for a pardon.

Fuck that guy!

funniest part is getting denied. his coup didn't and neither did his request for a pardon. lulz

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

I can accept Trump was capable of acting out his part in all this, and I know where Eastman fits in, but I just don't see Trump being bright enough to put this plan together.  Bannon?  Flynn?    I mean we can go way back on this, because he's been using the same tactics for years.  Discrediting the media and even before 2016 he stated more than once how the only way he could lose an election would be because it was rigged.   

In his earlier life I would have figured Roy Cohn was the evil behind the throne, but I hope they know who it is now and will fully expose them.   

He’s willing to listen to anyone who tells him what he wants to hear. He’s a toddler and there’s no shortage of loons who have a lust for power and see him as their doorway to gain it. 

17 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If this shit doesn’t result in legal action against Trump, it’s no more effective than Trump’s effort to overturn the election.  Squawking about how fucked up it all was is fine, but if it doesn’t result in consequences for Trump then it doesn’t mean anything, because it’s not like a single magafuck is going to giveafuck about it.

We also need to fix a bunch of shit to prevent this from happening again. But with all the scheming R shitheads in the state legislatures and SOS offices, and on the SCOTUS, we are probably already fucked on that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He’s willing to listen to anyone who tells him what he wants to hear. He’s a toddler and there’s no shortage of loons who have a lust for power and see him as their doorway to gain it. 

That's why his circle of trust was whittled down to Rudy, Powell, Lin Wood, and Pillow Man. 

spacer.png 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Add Liz to that list. She's no hero but she does have teeth, which Dems severely lack, and she's got a hold of Trumps ass currently.  Problem will be when she goes back to biting Dems at some point.    

Cheney is the archetypal antihero imo. 

Seems that the rule is being proven: however bad you thought it was, it’s actually much worse.
And however bad you think it might get in the future, it will actually get much worse. The republic is in the knife’s edge, and the forced pushing and pulling it over aren’t going away. They’re actually getting stronger, because there are no consequences.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

That's a really ominous statement, to me.  If you're getting in a car, you're clearly leaving the premises, so that doesn't seem to be Pence's concern.

Being ratholed at Camp David or some other place holding up the electoral count seems to be the concern, there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seems that the rule is being proven: however bad you thought it was, it’s actually much worse.
And however bad you think it might get in the future, it will actually get much worse. The republic is in the knife’s edge, and the forced pushing and pulling it over aren’t going away. They’re actually getting stronger, because there are no consequences.

There's the Brisket we know and love.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a really ominous statement, to me.  If you're getting in a car, you're clearly leaving the premises, so that doesn't seem to be Pence's concern.

Being ratholed at Camp David or some other place holding up the electoral count seems to be the concern, there.

I've always interpreted it in a much more ominous way than you do here. I think he was worried about a Judas delivering him to the mob for execution. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

I've always interpreted it in a much more ominous way than you do here. I think he was worried about a Judas delivering him to the mob for execution. 

That’s 100% what it was. Pence feared for his life from elements INSIDE the secret service who might be loyal to trump. And he was smart to do so. He made the best choice: stand his ground with the people he knew would die to protect him.

That’s where we were. The VPOTUS legitimately feared for his life, and the person he feared was the POTUS. Let that truth percolate in your brain for a minute. Holy fucking shit.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s 100% what it was. Pence feared for his life from elements INSIDE the secret service who might be loyal to trump. And he was smart to do so. He made the best choice: stand his ground with the people he knew would die to protect him.

That’s where we were. The VPOTUS legitimately feared for his life, and the person he feared was the POTUS. Let that truth percolate in your brain for a minute. Holy fucking shit.

And that’s not the kind of sniffing-glue-while-making-believe-LBJ-killed-JFK shit, either.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When is he scheduled to testify?????

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

The Office Yes GIF

The scale and scope of Barr’s mendacity was on display for all to see when he misrepresented the findings of the Mueller Report. It became clear at this point what a truly awful person he really is.

• Hook 'Em 5

41 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Cheney is the archetypal antihero imo. 

As the GOP continues its plunge to the right, becoming more and more extremist, otherwise shitty people who decide not to go along with them are made to seem respectable by comparison. Her dad should’ve been jailed for war crimes and he had a significant hand in setting the table for Trumpism. And yet he showed up to pay his respects on the anniversary of Jan. 6. Like every member of the Trump administration who held their tongue until they could publish a book, he’s part of the problem. I’m glad that Liz is standing up for what’s right at this moment. But she’s still not a good person. But doing one good thing once in her life is going to cost her her career in politics.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't know that there is good reason to assume the Secret Service had rogue agents willing to kidnap VPOTUS.  We haven't seen evidence of that.  I do think Pence was right to be circumspect inasmuch as those guys get close with those who guard them, and any unknown is a potential wild card, which is the last thing Pence wanted at that point in time.

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I can accept Trump was capable of acting out his part in all this, and I know where Eastman fits in, but I just don't see Trump being bright enough to put this plan together.  Bannon?  Flynn?    I mean we can go way back on this, because he's been using the same tactics for years.  Discrediting the media and even before 2016 he stated more than once how the only way he could lose an election would be because it was rigged.   

In his earlier life I would have figured Roy Cohn was the evil behind the throne, but I hope they know who it is now and will fully expose them.   

The beauty (nightmare) of the plan is its simplicity. American Democracy has always been a handshake agreement. All it took was someone willing to challenge the status quo. 

It’s not about being smart. It’s about being pushy enough to get your goal accomplished before the victims notice. 

Fuck, I fell victim to this TODAY.  I’m in Sicily and a guy came up to me with the same old story I’ve seen around the world, but I was caught off guard. “Hey buddy, I’ve got a bracelet for you and my sister just had a baby and I’m just a happy go lucky guy and here take another bracelet and here’s one I’ll actually put on your wrist so you can’t say no…etc”

I knew what was happening within 3 seconds, but I just decided to throw him a couple of Euros because it’s less awkward than telling him to fuck off. 

This is the same thing happening to America except the rubes (me in this example) not only don’t realize they are the rubes, they actively cheer it on. This is how we lose.  The rubes have actively chosen death. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

As the GOP continues its plunge to the right, becoming more and more extremist, otherwise shitty people who decide not to go along with them are made to seem respectable by comparison. Her dad should’ve been jailed for war crimes and he had a significant hand in setting the table for Trumpism. And yet he showed up to pay his respects on the anniversary of Jan. 6. Like every member of the Trump administration who held their tongue until they could publish a book, he’s part of the problem. I’m glad that Liz is standing up for what’s right at this moment. But she’s still not a good person. But doing one good thing once in her life is going to cost her her career in politics.

And it's a lesson that won't go unlearned by the rest of the right. After the smattering of Rs who have scruples and/or loyalty to the Constitution and/or affection for democracy (e.g., Pence, Cheney, Kinzinger, Raffensberger) are banished from the GQP, anyone remaining who isn't a True Believer will know the cost of apostasy and get in line. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

No shit.  Pence doesn’t get a pass here.  

He's getting one with the committee. Pence somehow hasn't figured out his political career is toast and has probably made it clear he wouldn't cooperate if they tried to get him to testify. And they're being deferential to him because he didn't give in to dotard on 1/6.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

40 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The VP was clearly worried the Secret Service was going to kidnap him.  And people claim this was a nothing burger.

Yea, I didn't fully get that until today. I'd thought the issue was that Pence was worried about his safety in the hands of these agents. I also thought he refused to leave because he didn't want the office of VP to be seen fleeing.

Cheney and Pence do reflect a baseline concern and understanding of the republic which they put it first. There is almost an entire party of traitors and scoundrels who can't meet that basic standard. Nixon met that basic standard; I think he cared about the country even though he was a villain.

I think the committee is performing well and wisely. Thompson and Cheney make an excellent pair of leads. I doubt there is a better approach to getting this critical information to the people from Congress. I honestly don't know what the impact will be, but it's the best shot.

• Hook 'Em 1