January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Can we get a complete list of everyone asking for a pardon?

JJ got the list.  I missed Biggs.  So far no testimony that Jordan expressly requested a pardon for himself but there was testimony that he repeatedly asked about the status of pardons (in general, whether pardons were forthcoming)

1 minute ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Some of them maybe are just dumb people and want it because it's free.  But some of those ought to be under a microscope, because they wouldn't be asking if they weren't aware of something illegal enough to go to jail that they've done in their past.  

As broad as you can make it also tells me that they might have hoped to gain coverage for some things unrelated to the coup. Like say writing off 34,000 miles campaign travel for your Colorado district. 

• Hook 'Em 3

As broad as you can make it also tells me that they might have hoped to gain coverage for some things unrelated to the coup. Like say writing off 34,000 miles campaign travel for your Colorado district. 

Or being the person who planted the pipe bombs that day.
  • Hook 'Em 3

One surprising takeaway for me is that Engel, Donoghue & Rosen were able to stall the process by threatening mass resignations.

I honestly wouldn't expect Trump to give a damn about mass resignations.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Every MC who requested a pardon ought to be expelled immediately.

You probably oughta check your tone when you refer to the future members of Trump's 2024 presidential cabinet.  They're going to have significant power, and if you think that petty vengeance won't be their primary agenda item, you haven't been paying attention.

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

With all of this coming out, I'm not sure in what universe dotard would be able to run again and they all get off.  I mean this is DAMNING stuff.  I really just think that when it comes down to it, the vast majority of people don't understand and don't care.  They don't know what it takes to maintain a democracy and therefore won't take the steps to do so.

Oh, my sweet summer child.  I don't pretend to understand politics, but some parts of the picture are coming into focus. What I think I know is that we've got a tail wagging the dog wagging the tail situation going on here. Nothing happens unless it is politically popular enough to happen. Except that it's often hard to tell, so mostly nothing happens, just in case.

I was listening to a political radio program earlier today and I think the host explained a part of this very well.  There is a large swath of Republicans who find Trump to be unsavory, but in their view he is far better than the alternative.  This is mostly based on their policy views, not necessarily on their views of the character or ability of the candidates. So, for example, a serial rapist, say, would still get Republican votes as long as he was for closed borders. The host pointed out the major flaw in this approach, which is that voters who do this are putting party and policy above country.  It's especially true when there are not only huge character flaws, but actual attempts to overturn a lawful and valid election. We're talking real, live attacks on democracy. Even that is not enough to get people to vote for someone with a different view of guns, abortion and the border. It's absolutely insane.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One surprising takeaway for me is that Engel, Donoghue & Rosen were able to stall the process by threatening mass resignations.

I remember thinking at the time that mass resignations just means more spots for Trump to fill.  He wouldn't care. 

Oh, my sweet summer child.  I don't pretend to understand politics, but some parts of the picture are coming into focus. What I think I know is that we've got a tail wagging the dog wagging the tail situation going on here. Nothing happens unless it is politically popular enough to happen. Except that it's often hard to tell, so mostly nothing happens, just in case.
I was listening to a political radio program earlier today and I think the host explained a part of this very well.  There is a large swath of Republicans who find Trump to be unsavory, but in their view he is far better than the alternative.  This is mostly based on their policy views, not necessarily on their views of the character or ability of the candidates. So, for example, a serial rapist, say, would still get Republican votes as long as he was for closed borders. The host pointed out the major flaw in this approach, which is that voters who do this are putting party and policy above country.  It's especially true when there are not only huge character flaws, but actual attempts to overturn a lawful and valid election. We're talking real, live attacks on democracy. Even that is not enough to get people to vote for someone with a different view of guns, abortion and the border. It's absolutely insane.

Rusty Bowers, who just testified to the lengths Trump went to to try to overturn the election, has since said that if 2024 came down to Trump or Biden, he'd vote for Trump "because of all the great things he did during his presidency."
giphy.gif
  • Rage+1 5

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Rusty Bowers, who just testified to the lengths Trump went to to try to overturn the election, has since said that if 2024 came down to Trump or Biden, he'd vote for Trump "because of all the great things he did during his presidency."
giphy.gif

Bowers was the guy who sparked the radio host's (Smerconish) conversation. Trumpers protested Bowers' fucking house where his daughter was suffering from some kind of grave illness. He actually got choked up about his wife and daughter being subjected to that during his testimony.  THAT GUY would still vote for Trump today. It's completely batshit insane.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Bowers was the guy who sparked the radio host's (Smerconish) conversation. Trumpers protested Bowers' fucking house where his daughter was suffering from some kind of grave illness. He actually got choked up about his wife and daughter being subjected to that during his testimony.  THAT GUY would still vote for Trump today. It's completely batshit insane.

giphy.gif
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

giphy.gif

Not to excuse the statement, but it did occur to me he said that to keep trump from sicking his attack dogs on him

35 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

MTG asking for a pardon is kinda nifty.  She had been a rep for all of 3 days, and felt uncomfortable enough with her actions in those three days to seek a pardon.

That Trump staffer who they mentioned MTG as having spoken to someone, not her.  The smirk on her face that seemed to say "That loon?  I didn't waste time on that loon.  She had special handlers she went through."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Add this to Brooks wanting to testify and things just got interesting.

He would only testify if the committee told him what they had on him.  In other words, he's not going to testify, unless his asking Trump for a pardon was the only damnable thing on his blotter (narrator: it won't be).

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The DOJ reduced to chaos could not carry out Trump's plan. The resignations would also discredit any action.

I'm surprised he didn't do it anyway, just as you are.

Trump asked in that meeting, "What do I have to lose?"

That quote sticks with me for some reason. It's so essentially Trump.

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The DOJ reduced to chaos could not carry out Trump's plan. The resignations would also discredit any action.

Jerod already stated he just attributed resignations to whining.  They didn't gaf.  

CBS News just showed some clips from the documentary, including a good segment of Ivanka perpetuating the lie that there were concerns about the validity of the election. Plastic Barbie deserves the noose as much as her dad, and her brothers, and her husband. 

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Trump sees all people -- certainly attorneys -- as fungible.  In his mind there would be no chaos, he'd just re-hire the DOJ.

He's fucking insane, but here we are.

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

i bolded the portion because this isn't entirely accurate.  this is based on their opinion of what the facts actually are when comparing candidates.  most of the redhat fucksticks think trump's only sin is standing up for himself and that biden invented inflation, high oil prices, and puppy cancer.

anyone who fits the bolded description already has a warped sense of who actually has what policy views.  trump has one policy objective - stay in power.  everything else is a branch on that tree.  it's a fake, bullshit, strawman argument intended to excuse their own dipshittery.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Trump was concerned that he wouldn't have the time to make up derogatory nicknames for all of them before he had to call into Fox News again.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

This.  He doesn't care one iota about the damage it would do to the foundations of our democracy.  It's like the Hail Mary from your own 3, but you would need some goons in the stands to shoot poisonous blowdarts at the defense right before the snap.  Or something like that.

Mo Brooks, sending in a copy of an email he wrote 18 months ago to CBS News concerning pardons...just days after losing a primary smacks of him now having a come to Jesus moment and attempting to cover his ass.

"But I only did it because of those Godless Democrats and what they were going to do to us, the innocent patriots trying to save this country"

Edited by Francisco 2.0