January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Except it wasn’t a game show. When you play a game, the players determine the outcome, not the producers. The Price is Right is a game show. Family Feud is a game show. Survivor wasn’t a game show. Pretending to be a game show doesn’t make it a game show. It was just a show. Scripted and fake.

the term you’re looking for is “reality competition” vs “game show”. one allows for more manipulation and one actually has legal restraints on interference.

we’re pitching one right now. the distinction is important but certain shows are advertised as one but are actually the other. 

3 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/politics/top-gop-pollster-says-trump-is-paying-a-price--even-among-republicans--for-what-the-january--hearings-have-revealed/ar-AAYO5A7?ocid=sapphireappshare

"Donald Trump is actually paying a price for what these hearings are showing. So it's having an impact, even among Republicans," Luntz said."

There's probably a lot of truth to this.  DeSantis is providing a viable alternative to Trump, and DeSantis is looking ahead while Trump is obsessed with revenge and re-litigating 2020. DeSantis is not asking for Trump's endorsement either (he wouldn't get it anyways), and DeSantis did the things during COVID that the anti-vaxxers wanted Trumped to do, but Trump wouldn't.  The field is shaking out in the polls as well - Cruz, etc., are not going to come close to sniffing Trump or DeSantis's numbers.

And recent history has plenty of Trump defeats in regard to his endorsements, and candidates who are removing his imagery or downplaying their links to him.

And lest we forget, Trump cost the GOP the House, Senate, and White House.  There's more than a few Republicans who are not happy about any of those.

Edited by atomheartbevo

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's probably a lot of truth to this.  DeSantis is providing a viable alternative to Trump, and DeSantis is looking ahead while Trump is obsessed with revenge and re-litigating 2020. DeSantis is not asking for Trump's endorsement either (he wouldn't get it anyways), and DeSantis did the things during COVID that the anti-vaxxers wanted Trumped to do, but Trump wouldn't.  The field is shaking out in the polls as well - Cruz, etc., are not going to come close to sniffing Trump or DeSantis's numbers.

I'll have you know that Greg Abbott is a legendary downhill racer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And recent history has plenty of Trump defeats in regard to his endorsements, and candidates who are removing his imagery or downplaying their links to him.

And lest we forget, Trump cost the GOP the House, Senate, and White House.  There's more than a few Republicans who are not happy about any of those.

I think there’s a lot can change in 2 years.  But I do think the GOP presidential field will narrow to at most 4 over the next 18 months:

1. Trump.  I still think he should be the odds favorite and I think he would lose to Biden again.

2. DeSantis (aka “Trump-lite”): he is positioning himself to get MAGA voters who abandon Trump while also seeming more palatable to non-Trump republicans.  He is making his move now and it may be too early.  He would likely beat Biden, but not handily.

3. Haley: Unlike DeSantis, she has managed to avoid fully buying into Trumpism, which I think makes her more palatable to moderates (or less extreme conservatives).  And unlike more moderate options, she has managed not to fully alienate maga.  I don’t think she’s made her move yet.  I think she would beat Biden.

4. Sununu/Hogan/TBD: There’s certainly a significant group of gop voters who are anxious to leave Trumpism behind and return to more sane/moderate options.  So there’s room for a candidate who presents as a gop return to normalcy.  Unfortunately, the maga contingent very likely isn’t ready to concede so whoever this option ends up being very likely won’t be the nominee.  I do think whoever this is would have the best odds against Biden.

Edited by Snake Diggity

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

I think there’s a lot can change in 2 years.  But I do think the GOP presidential field will narrow to at most 4 over the next 18 months:

1. Trump.  I still think he should be the odds favorite and I think he would lose to Biden again.

2. DeSantis (aka “Trump-lite”): he is positioning himself to get MAGA voters who abandon Trump while also seeming more palatable to non-Trump republicans.  He is making his move now and it may be too early.  He would likely beat Biden, but not handily.

3. Haley: Unlike DeSantis, she has managed to avoid fully buying into Trumpism, which I think makes her more palatable to moderates (or less extreme conservatives).  And unlike more moderate options, she has managed not to fully alienate maga.  I don’t think she’s made her move yet.  I think she would beat Biden.

4. Sununu/Hogan/TBD: There’s certainly a significant group of gop voters who are anxious to leave Trumpism behind and return to more sane/moderate options.  So there’s room for a candidate who presents as a gop return to normalcy.  Unfortunately, the maga contingent very likely isn’t ready to concede so whoever this option ends up being very likely won’t be the nominee.  I do think whoever this is would have the best odds against Biden.

this is really a conversation for a different thread, but i'm still not convinced the nutbars show up for anybody not named trump.  these people can't even be polled properly, they're that bonkers.  yeah yeah, people will come out to "vote against trump", but there are plenty that will only come out of the woodwork just to vote for him.  he's the only one who can get the crazies and the normies (like the doofus from ariz who still says he'd vote for trump over biden right now good lord).  

i've been saying this for months, but that's why i don't see trump ever being a "kingmaker".  he can point to someone, anoint someone, endorse someone, and it doesn't matter because it's not him.  these idiots worship him and there shall be only one trump before them. 

trump has the absolute best chance to beat any dem who runs.  change my mind.  spoiler, you can't.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

also, back to topic - i just watched the end of yesterday's hearings, and all the parts about the meetings with ag, acting ag, potential new ag, etc.  trump kept asking, "what have i got to lose?"

these guys are telling stories of telling trump "mr president, you have so much to lose" and so on.  but it's a lie.  he had absolutely nothing to lose.  if they had gone forward with the plan, all hell would've broken loose, but he may have been able to keep being president for a little longer which is all he wanted.  and now that the plan is out in the open, guess what he's lost?  nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

23 hours ago, Keef said:

Suspiciously well timed abortion ruling.

i think it got moved up because the committee had enough traction to extend in to july

the fascists probably wanted to have the ruling released after the hearings were over, but that might be august

my opinion is the efficacy of the hearings muted the ruling somewhat, and our side is still alive and kicking

i wonder what mo brooks  has to say

or who else is prepared to or has already flipped and we just don't know about it yet

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I would put money on Hulk Hogan.

• Haha 3

Hell, the comic book Hulk would have been a better president. Would have made for an interesting juxtaposition during the pandemic though. The GOP would have been calling for Dr. Banner to be arrested and executed for shutting the country down and asking them to wear masks/get vaxxed, all while chanting Make America Green Again. 

On 6/24/2022 at 11:55 AM, henrygandorf said:

the term you’re looking for is “reality competition” vs “game show”. one allows for more manipulation and one actually has legal restraints on interference.

we’re pitching one right now. the distinction is important but certain shows are advertised as one but are actually the other. 

I’d like to say I wish you’d find a more worthwhile endeavor but that’s none of my business.

I wasn’t looking for a term. I already had the correct term to begin with. If it was a competition then it was a competition for ratings and the approval of the producers. There was no panel of judges. They presented it as though Trump was picking winners and losers. He wasn’t. They presented him as a smart and savvy businessman. He’s anything but that. Unfortunately a lot of Americans fell for the act.

Out of curiosity, I googled a list of winners of Celebrity Apprentice. I was surprised to learn that Piers Morgan “won” the first season. I’d like to know on what criteria the “contestants” were judged. But from that article, not that I should even have to waste my time stating the obvious:

”A spinoff of NBC’s popular ‘The Apprentice’ reality TV show, ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ pit stars against each other in a battle to win money for their favorite charities. Donald Trump hosted the first seven seasons, with Arnold Schwarzenegger taking over for one final installment when Trump became President of the United States.”

https://www.goldderby.com/gallery/the-celebrity-apprentice-winners-list-donald-trump/

I tried my best to never watch any of that show. Much of what I saw of it was presented on other shows. Every shot I ever saw of Trump uttering his catchphrase “You’re fired!” was a single shot of him sitting at his desk and pointing at the camera. For all I know those could’ve been shot in advance with him sitting alone in the studio and edited in later. We saw that as President he never fired anyone to their face. He either had a henchman do it or he did it over Twitter.

The larger point is that he ran a reality TV show presidency. He was obsessed with ratings and how things looked on tv. I posted earlier about the time when he ordered troops to the border during his government shutdown as a purely political stunt that, before troops could be mobilized, he asked the military to take some photos that made it look like they were on the border just so he’d have something to show on TV. Mike Pence got into the act too. He attended an NFL football game just so he could storm out when players knelt during the National Anthem.

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what i've learned from the jan 6th committee is that the shit that happened in between election day and january 5th is way more horrifying than what actually happened on jan 6th.  

Definitely.  The riot was only the tip of the iceberg and the sort of failsafe for the other shit.

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Definitely.  The riot was only the tip of the iceberg and the sort of failsafe for the other shit.

the coup-iest coup stuff happened in some of those december ag meetings holy christ.  jan 6th was a bunch of chimps trying to cause chaos and distract from the fake elector scam which people should be going to prison for.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, of course he didn't know anything about it! It was a staff to staff exchange, by his Chief of Staff. That Chief of Staff guy does a lot of things without his knowledge, it's just how the system works!

Reading between the lines...  *Please don't prosecute me* ...

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Good interview with the documentary filmmaker:

He reveals something I've suspected - Trump truly believed the election was stolen. 

yeah, because he's dumb as fuck and lives in a different reality. we all knew that. this is nothing revelatory

• Like 1