January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The adoptive-admission rule is that a statement is not hearsay if it is adopted by the speaker as being accurate.  A statement can be adopted by silence when it would be reasonably expected that the original speaker would deny it.

So when she's recounting the story that Meadows told her about what happened in the limo, that's hearsay.  But presuming Meadows is watching the hearings--something that they'll have to lay the foundation on if he ever testifies--it could be an adopted admission if he doesn't get out there on Twitter right now saying "I never said that shit."

ok, that sounds good and all and thanks for the explanation, but wouldn't going to Twitter rather than sworn testimony just make it more likely she is telling the truth?

54 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

They are evil.  Every.  Last.  One. Of.  Them.  Melania is just as bad as he is.

52 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Exactly. The DOJ still has to bring charges. And then they have to schedule trials. And that shit will get dragged on forever. If the GQP holds all three branches of government in two years, the chances of any and all prosecution of Trump & his lackeys getting shut down will be 100%. Not 50%, not 75%......100%. Their party platform is basically a wholesale defense of  Trump's idiotic bullshit, whatever that may be. The only chance this fucker ever sees justice is if the dems somehow manage to not lose congress and the WH, and those are some pretty long fucking odds right now. 

You've got it.

47 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

We just need him to die.  That is seriously the best thing for America.  We need a former president to die.

100% this.  Never in my lifetime would the state of the entire planet be so well-served by the death of a single fantastically shitty human being.

46 minutes ago, Satchel said:

“The moral arc of the universe is long and it bends toward justice.” It’s the more poetic version of, you may get by, but you won’t get away.

Yeah.....long, long term, I agree.  Just like I agree that the Earth will be fine despite man-made climate change.  Earth will survive just fine.  Plenty of places will be habitable, produce crops, etc.

In both cases, the concern is the cost it's going to take to get there.  We're gonna go through some pretty shittacular pain -- it's already started.  We'll get to the other side...how much human loss and suffering will it take to get there?

36 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The DoJ needs to go for the sedition charge because there are quite a few people involved with this who never need to hold office again.  They are dangers to our democracy.

Absolutely this.  The members of this admin were and are a greater threat to our nation's survival than Al Qaeda ever was.  We should fight them with equal -- GREATER -- vigor.

Problem is, we have a huge 5th Column in our country actively fighting on their side, called "the entire Republican Party."  The GQP is a terrorist movement no matter what definition of the term you use.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Fastbreak said:

I remember when all of Obama’s staff and inner circle was asking for pardons. Those where crazy times.

Remember how hard the R's tried to invent an Obama scandal? I know we joke about it but they tried to make him saluting while holding coffee a thing. Then their guy attempts to overthrow the government and we're treated to eye rolls. "No one is watching."

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They are evil.  Every.  Last.  One. Of.  Them.  Melania is just as bad as he is.

You've got it.

100% this.  Never in my lifetime would the state of the entire planet be so well-served by the death of a single fantastically shitty human being.

Yeah.....long, long term, I agree.  Just like I agree that the Earth will be fine despite man-made climate change.  Earth will survive just fine.  Plenty of places will be habitable, produce crops, etc.

In both cases, the concern is the cost it's going to take to get there.  We're gonna go through some pretty shittacular pain -- it's already started.  We'll get to the other side...how much human loss and suffering will it take to get there?

Absolutely this.  The members of this admin were and are a greater threat to our nation's survival than Al Qaeda ever was.  We should fight them with equal -- GREATER -- vigor.

Problem is, we have a huge 5th Column in our country actively fighting on their side, called "the entire Republican Party."  The GQP is a terrorist movement no matter what definition of the term you use.

How about the original legal definition of terrorism as given by the military?

”the calculated use of violence or threat of violence to attain goals that are political, religious or ideological in nature. This is done through intimidation, coercion, or instilling fear”

-Army TRADOC pamphlet 525-37, 1984

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

So, what do we think would have happened if the secret service had allowed Trump to go to the Capitol? Does he go in? Does he go to the house floor and declare himself the winner of the election?

I wish they'd have let him do it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

ok, that sounds good and all and thanks for the explanation, but wouldn't going to Twitter rather than sworn testimony just make it more likely she is telling the truth?

The point is that if someone says you said something and you would be reasonably expected to deny it, then that silence can be viewed as admitting that you said it.

Trump's favored mode of communication is social media.  And we know he's watching the hearings.  So all of that shit she says he said--if he doesn't deny it, it's the same as him admitting to saying it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So, what do we think would have happened if the secret service had allowed Trump to go to the Capitol? Does he go in? Does he go to the house floor and declare himself the winner of the election?

You would've had a shoot-out between the Capitol Police and the Secret Service.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

The point is that if someone says you said something and you would be reasonably expected to deny it, then that silence can be viewed as admitting that you said it.

Trump's favored mode of communication is social media.  And we know he's watching the hearings.  So all of that shit she says he said--if he doesn't deny it, it's the same as him admitting to saying it.

If not watching, it’s in testimony that this reading of transcripts is used to intimidate witnesses. 

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Spoiler

In the movie "Perfume: Story of a Murderer" the main character Jean-Baptiste Grenouille creates a perfume so powerful it can be used to command people. In the end he ends up pouring it all over himself and is completely consumed by a mob who sees him as an angel and their love for him is shown by completely devouring him. Not a hair left. One would hope the same thing would have happened to TFG. A boy can dream. Here's the scene if you want to see what I am talking about:

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

Fuck that. String his ass up. 

While I agree, he, to me, seems like the most important possible witness in nailing Trump to the wall.  He is fighting appearing to the death, because he knows he will get charged...and convicted.  Get his testimony, and Trump may actually go to jail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
  Hide contents

In the movie "Perfume: Story of a Murderer" the main character Jean-Baptiste Grenouille creates a perfume so powerful it can be used to command people. In the end he ends up pouring it all over himself and is completely consumed by a mob who sees him an angle and their love for him is shown by completely devouring him. Not a hair left. One would hope the same thing would have happened to TFG. A boy can dream. Here's the scene if you want to see what I am talking about:

Weird. Had no idea this was a movie. Book was solid entertainment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If not watching, it’s in testimony that this reading of transcripts is used to intimidate witnesses. 

His lawyers are going to say that no reasonable person would believe Trump reading anything longer than 60 characters.

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Remember how hard the R's tried to invent an Obama scandal? I know we joke about it but they tried to make him saluting while holding coffee a thing. Then their guy attempts to overthrow the government and we're treated to eye rolls. "No one is watching."

but his tan suit!!!

Just now, chainsaw said:

He's an insurgent. Law of War.

I think that's exactly what the UCMJ deems him.  He levied war against this country.  He should be administered lethal injection at Ft. Leavenworth.

All of that said, for an execution sentence under the UCMJ to be complete, the POTUS himself must approve.  If the POTUS is Biden or any other Dem, I expect that they would commute it to life imprisonment at Leavenworth.  If the POTUS is a Repub, I would expect a full pardon and elevation of Flynn to the office of SOS or SecDef.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think that's exactly what the UCMJ deems him.  He levied war against this country.  He should be administered lethal injection at Ft. Leavenworth.

All of that said, for an execution sentence under the UCMJ to be complete, the POTUS himself must approve.  If the POTUS is Biden or any other Dem, I expect that they would commute it to life imprisonment at Leavenworth.  If the POTUS is a Repub, I would expect a full pardon and elevation of Flynn to the office of SOS or SecDef.

Wouldn't any future GOP president let him free, if Biden "high roaded" the sentence to life at Ft Leavenworth?

• Rage+1 1

I have a question related to the use of the 5th amendment.  (Not trying to defend Flynn, just curious about how it works.)  Could Flynn have answered some questions, but used the 5th amendment to not answer other questions or doe he have to use the 5th amendment for his entire testimony?

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I have a question related to the use of the 5th amendment.  (Not trying to defend Flynn, just curious about how it works.)  Could Flynn have answered some questions, but used the 5th amendment to not answer other questions or doe he have to use the 5th amendment for his entire testimony?

Invoking the 5th is to be done on a question-by-question basis -- you are only entitled to avoid giving information that would tend to incriminate you.  So, asking simple background questions (for example) would not be proper grounds for asserting the 5th - Are you General Flynn?  Are you retired from the military after 33 years of service?  Did you have a position within the Trump administration?  None of the answers to those is incriminating, he would have to answer them. But when they ask when he last talked to Trump, and what they talked about, wouldn't be surprised for him to invoke the 5th, because that conversation was in furtherance of a criminal conspiracy.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

To take it a step further, they can call him to testify to either confirm or deny the allegations. He would have to make a choice to no show and run the risk of the statement being adopted or go under oath on national television. 

Edit because I had to stop writing this to take a call and picked up where I thought I left off. 

Edited by Eastwood

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I obviously don't keep up with Fox news, but they seem to be slipping on their vapid blond on air personalities. She's a 7 at best.

Yea, but tonight, from 7:00-10:00, on Fox, you will hear a completely different narrative.   They’ll have a completely different version of the truth.  It’s what they do.

This is all so shocking, yet not. It is unbelievably horrifying, but at the same time I'm having a hard time caring too much about it because I do not expect anything to be done about it. And I'm also still confused as to how anyone can be exposed to the evidence presented at these hearings and think anything other than Trump should be jailed and never allowed to run for office again. It's like my mind is leading me to a set of conclusions that I know will never occur so I just move on and don't think about it.

• Like 3