January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Repentance never has to met with forgiveness. If you're someone that is wronged, you have the right to hold a grudge or not forgive someone.  There is some false belief that holding onto a grudge somehow hurts yourself but that's only if the grudge is somehow impacting you every day. 

Depends on the severity of the offense. Most grudges are pathetic and indicate immaturity.

Edited by B00M
This isn't a Christian perspective. Just be the person you want others to be. It's not hard.

48 minutes ago, Satchel said:

What’s gray about being a nation of laws and all being equal under them?

There's one person in the world who can pardon people for anything and that's the person who would have been pursued. It's uncharted waters, no one knows if you can self pardon. 

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing that gets ignored in the vast hatred of religion is that a lot of religious "principles" are actually pretty good psychology.

One key to living "healthily" is to live in the moment, unburdened by the past and unafraid of the future. Because you can't change the former, and the latter is mostly beyond your control.

By failing to forgive, or conversely to repent/seek forgiveness, one permits oneself to be burdened by the past.  A past that just about everyone agrees is unchangeable.

Done bun can't be undone.

If you have one foot in the past and one in the future, you're pissing all over the present.  And the present is all you've really got.

I think most peoples problem with religion is not religion itself but people trying to make everyone live according to their religion.

Live and let live.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kilgorehorn said:

I think most peoples problem with religion is not religion itself but people trying to make everyone live according to their religion.

Live and let live.

Quite true.  It's not so much the religion, it's the fucking people.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing that gets ignored in the vast hatred of religion is that a lot of religious "principles" are actually pretty good psychology.

One key to living "healthily" is to live in the moment, unburdened by the past and unafraid of the future. Because you can't change the former, and the latter is mostly beyond your control.

By failing to forgive, or conversely to repent/seek forgiveness, one permits oneself to be burdened by the past.  A past that just about everyone agrees is unchangeable.

If you have one foot in the past and one in the future, you're pissing all over the present.  And the present is all you've really got.

“But the past is a memory. It’s a thought arising in the present. The future is merely anticipated. It is another thought arising now. What we truly have is this moment… And we spend most of our lives forgetting this truth. Repudiating it, fleeing it, overlooking it. And the horror is that we succeed. We manage to never really connect with the present moment and find fulfillment there because we are continually hoping to become happy in the future. And the future never arrives.”  ― Sam Harris

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

There's one person in the world who can pardon people for anything and that's the person who would have been pursued. It's uncharted waters, no one knows if you can self pardon. 

Uh, I know.  If you can self pardon, then the idea of everyone being equal under the law is nonsense.  So no, you can't pardon yourself.  Done.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Uh, I know.  If you can self pardon, then the idea of everyone being equal under the law is nonsense.  So no, you can't pardon yourself.  Done.

No one has ever tried. It would go to the SCOTUS and look what they have done. 

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Repentance never has to met with forgiveness. If you're someone that is wronged, you have the right to hold a grudge or not forgive someone.  There is some false belief that holding onto a grudge somehow hurts yourself but that's only if the grudge is somehow impacting you every day. 

Name checks out.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well, everyone isn't equal under the law anyway if a sitting President can't be charged.

Plus, "they" can do whatever the fuck "they" want.  There are no consequences and nothing matters anymore.

I know…

A democratic president cant self pardon

A republican president can if they do. They’ll be advised not to, but once they do nothing will happen.

Prior to 2001, the President wouldnt be able to self pardon and it would be considered ludicrous. Because it is ludicrous.

Pardons for Executive Branch criminals and pre-emptive pardons are fucked up. Now I’m down with Lincoln commuting the death sentences of teenage deserters during the civil war. But its a conflict of interest for a subordinate to be able to be pardoned by their boss.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is a great idea and eloquently stated, except for the fact that there's a large chunk of this country that thinks that the idea of everyone being equal under the law is nonsense.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

“But the past is a memory. It’s a thought arising in the present. The future is merely anticipated. It is another thought arising now. What we truly have is this moment… And we spend most of our lives forgetting this truth. Repudiating it, fleeing it, overlooking it. And the horror is that we succeed. We manage to never really connect with the present moment and find fulfillment there because we are continually hoping to become happy in the future. And the future never arrives.”  ― Sam Harris

Yesterday is a memory.  Tomorrow is a vision. Today is a bitch.

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is some false belief that holding onto a grudge somehow hurts yourself

If by false belief you mean multiple peer reviewed studies showing it does exactly that then you are spot on

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, immamac said:

Trump was a sitting president and it was questionable what kind of precedent would be set to actively pursue legal remedy against a currently elected executive who could potentially self pardon. It was a can of worms best left unopened. In hindsight it was still the right decision. 

More importantly DOJ is subject to POTUS oversight and there’s a constitutional question as to whether a sitting President can even be indicted, that’s the only conclusion mueller came to - impeachment is the only remedy otherwise wait til he’s out of office. 

1 minute ago, troph said:

More importantly DOJ is subject to POTUS oversight and there’s a constitutional question as to whether a sitting President can even be indicted, that’s the only conclusion mueller came to - impeachment is the only remedy otherwise wait til he’s out of office. 

Impeachment and conviction IS the constitutional remedy for this. Everyone is just being a shithead about it trying to clutch pearls and say NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW, it's laughable. 

Just now, immamac said:

Impeachment and conviction IS the constitutional remedy for this. Everyone is just being a shithead about it trying to clutch pearls and say NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW, it's laughable. 

Well I’m here for the DOJ gang bang I’ll be very disappointed and go back in my hole if he’s not indicted. Fuck every last one of those assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

If you can break the law and then avoid prosecution and consequences specifically because of political reasons... Then you're above the law. 

Impeachment and conviction is the remedy, and the remedy is empirically ineffective. Half of the jury for the impeachment refuses to even hear evidence and participate - which is a problem when you need two thirds of them to vote to convict

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Captainant said:

If you can break the law and then avoid prosecution and consequences specifically because of political reasons... Then you're above the law. 

Impeachment and conviction is the remedy, and the remedy is empirically ineffective. Half of the jury for the impeachment refuses to even hear evidence and participate - which is a problem when you need two thirds of them to vote to convict

That's like saying every jury gets every verdict correct. Except the jury isn't selected by people who voted. I get it, it's not ideal that this is happening, but it's not flawed. The American public repeatedly electing Mitch fucking McConnell is what's fucked up. Or MTG or Boobert or Gomert or Hawley or or or or or. Just pull your heads out of your asses. It's not who is president it's the American people who are the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's like saying every jury gets every verdict correct. Except the jury isn't selected by people who voted. I get it, it's not ideal that this is happening, but it's not flawed. The American public repeatedly electing Mitch fucking McConnell is what's fucked up. Or MTG or Boobert or Gomert or Hawley or or or or or. Just pull your heads out of your asses. It's not who is president it's the American people who are the problem. 

Political parties are the problem. They are driving the gerrymandering that leads to MTG, Bobert, etc. They nullify impeachment, inability to pass bipartisan legislation, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

It definitely IS the American people that are the problem, no disagreement there. Unfortunately, that cancer in our citizenry has metastasized and spread into other systems of our democracy and fundamentally broken them. The imbalances have been woven into the systems now - our courts are playing calvinball to advance the far right agenda, our voting districts are found to be unfair and undemocratic and allowed to remain, the wealthiest Americans can donate unlimited monies to their favorite politicians. Damn the everyman American, bring me capital or bring me death!

To your whole impeachment jury thing - the jury didn't just "get it wrong". Half the jury refused to even participate in the process. That's the system being broken. It ain't gonna fix shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Political parties are the problem. They are driving the gerrymandering that leads to MTG, Bobert, etc. They nullify impeachment, inability to pass bipartisan legislation, etc. 

Parties?

Let me simplify it. White nationalists have been contriving democracy since reconstruction. Which includes gerrymandering, voter suppression, and even terrorism.

They were democrats, then in both parties, now they are republicans.

One party has gutted ethics reforms and fights nonpartisan redistricting. You can guess which one that is.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Parties?

Let me simplify it. White nationalists have been contriving democracy since reconstruction. Which includes gerrymandering, voter suppression, and even terrorism.

They were democrats, then in both parties, now they are republicans.

One party has gutted ethics reforms and fights nonpartisan redistricting. You can guess which one that is.

Lesser evil is still evil.  Both parties gerrymander, both have people that go straight party ticket.  I agree that the issue is worse on one side of the aisle, but the two party system is the biggest problem. It makes issues binary, zero room for compromise. Congress no longer functions as a body, and now the judiciary has been fully compromised. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

My guess?

The poor White House valet who Cassidy Hutchison mentioned who had to clean up the broken plate and ketchup on the wall.

Okay, so this is witness tampering and he's not the president right now, so he's 100% going to be indicted for this, right?

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Lesser evil is still evil.  Both parties gerrymander, both have people that go straight party ticket.  I agree that the issue is worse on one side of the aisle, but the two party system is the biggest problem. It makes issues binary, zero room for compromise. Congress no longer functions as a body, and now the judiciary has been fully compromised. 

I agree.  The biggest problem is one party (R) has gotten much better at it, while the other (D) is completely incompetent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Parties in power tend to make policies to keep them in power, whether there are 2, 20 or 200 of them.

Right now, we’re over the edge because white nationalists moved to the party of big business and have set up one-party system in 3/5 of the states.

And they have been extremely successful at eliminating the number of competitive general elections. Thats where you get binary issues.

Its not the 2-party system. Its the 1-party system.

19 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Parties in power tend to make policies to keep them in power, whether there are 2, 20 or 200 of them.

Right now, we’re over the edge because white nationalists moved to the party of big business and have set up one-party system in 3/5 of the states.

And they have been extremely successful at eliminating the number of competitive general elections. Thats where you get binary issues.

Its not the 2-party system. Its the 1-party system.

The 2 party system drives everyone to passing purity tests.  You can’t be moderate on a party pillar and expect to have any serious influence on that party. It also discourages minority party engagement in red or blue states because it’s becoming an all or nothing game. At least in a parliamentary system there is some level of compromise.  Our shit is broken and only getting worse, the SC is going to ensure that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I agree.  The biggest problem is one party (R) has gotten much better at it, while the other (D) is completely incompetent. 

One party still lives by the “Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered” rule. The other party has figured out that if the hog gets fat enough, it can just trample everything. 

Trump is suppose to be at a MAGA Policy Event in DC. He’s suppose to talk about his policy agenda if he runs again for President. Give me a friken break!!! I’m sure all he’ll talk about is a repeat of election fraud, how the world has gone to hell since he left office ( because his was the greatest presidency in history) that the Dems are taking all your freedoms away. There won’t be one single intelligent thought out policy agenda mentioned. Why didn’t the Senate Republicans do what they were suppose to do in the second impeachment and ban this MF from ever setting foot in Washington, ever again? And yes, he will get out of ALL OF THIS SCOTT FREE. On top of hating all Republicans I’m so pissed at the Dems, Marrett Garland, Kamala Harris, Joe Biden, and the list goes on and on. I’m venting!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Trump is suppose to be at a MAGA Policy Event in DC. He’s suppose to talk about his policy agenda if he runs again for President. Give me a friken break!!! I’m sure all he’ll talk about is a repeat of election fraud, how the world has gone to hell since he left office ( because his was the greatest presidency in history) that the Dems are taking all your freedoms away. There won’t be one single intelligent thought out policy agenda mentioned. 

This is how the R party functions now.  They pretty much have the past 30 or so years, but especially now.  There ARE NO POLICIES.  IT'S ONLY FEAR.

For example, there's a political ad running on the local fox station (FOX 7) in Austin during the local news for some jagoff running for a state house seat or something.  The entire ad is a guy talking about the liberal agenda and how it's going to hurt Americans and help China.  There is ZERO substance.  There is ZERO talk of actual policy.  It is pure fear mongering.  

They have figured out that a sizeable portion of Americans latch onto that.  Ask your run of the mill "republican" voter right now what the "liberal agenda" is and they don't really know.  They just know they are afraid.  It's nebulous.  It's vague.  It's what people without critical thinking skills react to.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Amen!

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Trump is suppose to be at a MAGA Policy Event in DC. He’s suppose to talk about his policy agenda if he runs again for President. Give me a friken break!!! I’m sure all he’ll talk about is a repeat of election fraud, how the world has gone to hell since he left office ( because his was the greatest presidency in history) that the Dems are taking all your freedoms away. There won’t be one single intelligent thought out policy agenda mentioned. Why didn’t the Senate Republicans do what they were suppose to do in the second impeachment and ban this MF from ever setting foot in Washington, ever again? And yes, he will get out of ALL OF THIS SCOTT FREE. On top of hating all Republicans I’m so pissed at the Dems, Marrett Garland, Kamala Harris, Joe Biden, and the list goes on and on. I’m venting!

username checks out.

3 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Both parties gerrymander because those are the rules of the game.  Only one party is actively trying to strengthen democracy and end gerrymandering.  Imagine expecting the democrats to not use the existing rules to their advantage.  If Dems would have gotten a couple extra seats in the Senate, For the Peoples Act would have passed ending gerrymandering nationwide for federal elections.  The two-party system is broken because one of the two parties is broken.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2