Hustle

Baboontyme

I went back two pages, if I missed a thread I apologize. 

I really liked this. It combines my favorite type of 90s redemption story arc with current NBA with my college years (Sandler). Really impressed with some of the acting, particularly JHG and Ant. It's like a fun cross between Happy Gilmore and Uncut Gems with some Blue Chips mixed in. 7.4/10. Would watch again.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I really wanted to like it, being set in Philly and featuring some Sixers, but it all felt cliche to me. Granted, I pretty much never enjoy movies centered on baseball/basketball/football, probably because the action is laughable and the storylines are never realistic. Add the fact that there are so many familiar faces, some playing themselves and others not, Hustle just never held my interest as a movie.

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

Same. Honestly the only unbelievable part was Sandler and Latifah had no chemistry. He had better chemistry with the owner’s daughter. 

I thought they had good parents chemistry. Bad guy good guy. 

but sexual chemistry def the owners daughter 

• 2 weeks later...

Sandler and QL were good together. Not unbelievable at all. What's hilarious is how much work it takes to make Kristen Schaal attractive. I mean God bless her she's talented but yeesh. "Alright let's spray her with a hose full of makeup and cut her hair to perfectly match her face and also dye the shit out of her hair to maybe try and sell her sex value" and you're left with like a strong 7 I guess?

It's a fun B movie. To follow OP's decimal rating scale I think it's like a 6.2/10.0. I'm not sure if I maybe liked it a bit more than others because of all of the NBA references or liked it a bit less because so much of the plot is absolutely ridiculous. 

I like that Adam Sandler is trying to do movies like this because there were definitely some really great snippets. Ultimately when stitched together this effort didn't result in a particularly good movie. 

Juancho was really good. I love Anthony Edwards and if anyone touches him I'll fucking kill you. 

The fucking belabored plot device of his stupid daughter somehow contributing because she's like neat with a video camera was so awful. I mean just shoot the movie - I don't need to feel good that your unathletic daughter has a spot in life. This film is about freak fucking athletes realizing their potential. We don't need to insert a bunch of dumbass Disney feel good happy go lucky everyone wins bullshit. 

Also Ben Foster's character was the biggest fucking pussy ever and if anything was unbelievable it was that. There are a bunch of chodey looking NBA execs but my God no one looks as bitch-made as Ben Foster with his head shaved. Yuck.

Juancho and Ant were good in this, particularly Juancho. i liked it, for obvious reasons- it's a HM production, so i know it's basically gonna be 90 minutes easy viewing with a happy ending and a couple of laughs. i don't mind that it's paint-by-numbers because that's what i expect going in. i'm not dying to rewatch it, but i'm sure i'll watch it again some day. 6.2 sounds about right to me too. 

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What's hilarious is how much work it takes to make Kristen Schaal attractive. I mean God bless her she's talented but yeesh. "Alright let's spray her with a hose full of makeup and cut her hair to perfectly match her face and also dye the shit out of her hair to maybe try and sell her sex value" and you're left with like a strong 7 I guess?

I agree that it would theoretically take a lot of work to make Kristen Schaal look exactly like Heidi Gardner, who was actually in this movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I agree that it would theoretically take a lot of work to make Kristen Schaal look exactly like Heidi Gardner, who was actually in this movie.

Hah. Whoops. NW Buck made the comment that she looked like her and my brain ran with it.

Point remains. I can do without either of them. Heidi is a little better looking, I guess? 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sandler and QL were good together. Not unbelievable at all. What's hilarious is how much work it takes to make Kristen Schaal attractive. I mean God bless her she's talented but yeesh. "Alright let's spray her with a hose full of makeup and cut her hair to perfectly match her face and also dye the shit out of her hair to maybe try and sell her sex value" and you're left with like a strong 7 I guess?

Where did you get that they were trying to get the owner's daughter to appear attractive, or that she's supposed to be attractive?

She wasn't the unrealistic love interest of the hunk of the movie.  Her role is a woman with money and whatever hair or clothes she wears reflect that.