Mustard

Celery Man

I didn’t like mustard as a kid, but it has grown on me. I keep a bottle of Gulden’s Spicy Brown in the fridge.

I had this stuff on a charcuterie board in Asheville a few months back and couldn’t stop thinking about it. Just got a few jars, it is the shit. Man I’m just dipping pretzels in it and feeling the sinus burn.

E0867E72-B170-4B48-91D4-5999A0F37E97.thumb.jpeg.52f237e3aecfe452f0ee7288b51638c9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

I always liked yellow mustard on hotdogs or bologna growing up.  It's pretty much sacrilege to use anything else on a burger, unless you're kicking it up with another mustard.

Now as a semi-adult, I love the spicier, more intense versions.  Some of it it hotter-n-fuck and will cleanse your sinuses and eyeballs.  That's a feature, IMHO.

Edited by slorch

I've never been a fan of yellow mustard. It's just vile and ruins everything it comes in contact with. But, when I was Lil' RPM at Elementary school in the 60's one of the 5 snack choices we had in the only vending machine was giant pretzel sticks with Gulden's mustard (the other 4 were Corn Nuts, BBQ Corn Nuts, Luden's Wild Cherry cough drops & Kraft Cheese & Crackers). I really liked that mustard. Coarse ground is infinitely better than that yellow baby shit. The Sandwich Pal line of stuff is legit. Our meat department carried it when I was a grocery manager.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Mayo goes on the outside of the bread, instead of butter. Mustard goes with the grilled onions between the slices of Swiss.

While it's easier to spread, I never thought the mayo on the outside of a grilled cheese (instead of butter), for instance, was an improvement.

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

It’s certainly easier to spread. I haven’t done a double blind study or anything but I think it’s a nicer fry on the bread as well - lighter, crisper, just greasy enough.

You ain't wrong.  I would eat one.  But butter :)

I celebrate mustard's entire catalog.  As a kid, we would get butter sandwiches (government margarine spread on white bread) as a free for all with school lunches.  Having a ravenous fat kid appetite, I would dip them in regular yellow mustard.

As someone upthread pointed out, Dusseldorf's are freaking great, and probably my general favorite style, but I kind of love it all.  From honey mustard, to spicy, to stone ground, and everything in between.  The condiment GOAT.

Always have good old American yellow mustard around.  Usually some sort of coarse grain or brown mustard.  And I love this.  This, spread lightly on a dill pickle spear for a tart crisp cool snack, is first-rate:

81eFxBnSu7L._SY679_.jpg

Plus, it's the ideal accompaniment for a sandwich made with jewish-style oven roast brisket or other beef.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Always have good old American yellow mustard around.  Usually some sort of coarse grain or brown mustard.  And I love this.  This, spread lightly on a dill pickle spear for a tart crisp cool snack, is first-rate:

81eFxBnSu7L._SY679_.jpg

Plus, it's the ideal accompaniment for a sandwich made with jewish-style oven roast brisket or other beef.

On rye 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Covri said:

@Herbie Hancock tell us more about that Cuban style mustard, hasn't come across my radar before.

It’s $0.92 at Wal Mart. But I’m a sucker for low calorie condiments so I grabbed it and another of theirs called Garlic Aioli. The garlic aioli was meh, but I went back and grabbed 4 more of the Cuban. Just the right amount of smokiness. I lean heavy towards the hot sauces and mustards that are strong on the vinegar but IMO this one is rather mild in that department. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I only eat the best French mustard. 
7A7D7770-F906-4ED2-9D5E-63E4C995CD41.jpeg.8e05b84c1fd0c0df81079d7d3ade856f.jpeg

and Mayo is nasty. Fake, real, homemade, gourmet, whatever… just gross. 

As a child, probably 35+ years ago, I went to a kids house and the mom made us bologna on white with mayo and ketchup. That was the most disgusting thing I've ever had in my life and as a young man I knew it was wrong. F those people.

7 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

As a child, probably 35+ years ago, I went to a kids house and the mom made us bologna on white with mayo and ketchup. That was the most disgusting thing I've ever had in my life and as a young man I knew it was wrong. F those people.

i hope she was a stone cold fox, if not, she needed to be punched