Mustard

Celery Man

23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Mustard?  Don’t let’s be silly. 

Needs more love.  Heavily quoted line growing up in my family.

And I too celebrate mustard in all its myriad and beautiful forms, but Alstertor, man. That's some fuckin' senf.

We lived in Wisconsin for awhile, and in Mt. Horeb there was a Mustard Museum devoted to the condiment. Begun by a mustard aficionado who happened to be an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Wisconsin, he collected mustards from everywhere. We used to drive by Mt. Horeb and Dodgeville (home of Lands' End) with some regularity.

Now known as the National Mustard Museum and relocated to Middleton, they even have a store where you can buy all sorts of mustards. Check out their online offerings:

https://mustardmuseum.com/

National Mustard Museum

I love a good roast beef sandwich with pickles and mustard.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s $0.92 at Wal Mart. But I’m a sucker for low calorie condiments so I grabbed it and another of theirs called Garlic Aioli. The garlic aioli was meh, but I went back and grabbed 4 more of the Cuban. Just the right amount of smokiness. I lean heavy towards the hot sauces and mustards that are strong on the vinegar but IMO this one is rather mild in that department. 

Another $.92 find I stumbled on a couple weeks ago. Will stay in the rotation. 

a4e064a0-fcaf-44ca-9594-7c8751722b49-acd

On 6/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, After irth said:

I can’t wait for Buck to find this thread, tell you all how shitty your taste is, and then tell a long-winded story about his mustard-related experiences. 

And then you can respond by telling me how much you prefer fake tits over real ones. 

21 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

As a child, probably 35+ years ago, I went to a kids house and the mom made us bologna on white with mayo and ketchup. That was the most disgusting thing I've ever had in my life and as a young man I knew it was wrong. F those people.

Ketchup on cold meat is the worst.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:52 PM, dcbc said:

While it's easier to spread, I never thought the mayo on the outside of a grilled cheese (instead of butter), for instance, was an improvement.

On 6/12/2022 at 7:05 PM, Celery Man said:

It’s certainly easier to spread. I haven’t done a double blind study or anything but I think it’s a nicer fry on the bread as well - lighter, crisper, just greasy enough.

On 6/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, dcbc said:

You ain't wrong.  I would eat one.  But butter :)

You heathens need a butter dish so you can leave a stick out of the refrigerator. Problem solved.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

As a child, probably 35+ years ago, I went to a kids house and the mom made us bologna on white with mayo and ketchup. That was the most disgusting thing I've ever had in my life and as a young man I knew it was wrong. F those people.

You probably got that because your buddy liked baloney sandwiches like that. A poor mom just trying to get thru her fucking day.

I was in Japan visiting Panasonic in Osaka. As we were one of their largest dealers in the US we were invited to a special meeting and lunch with the primary heir of the Matsushita family. He lived in a palatial apartment near the HQ, had to be 12k sq feet.

We sat in the formal dining room. I believe this prince had someone that wiped his ass and another to pour his Kirin and another to dress him. They brought us the masters favorite: cold fried egg on decrusted white bread sandwiches with ketchup. Now that was disgusting.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:38 AM, Celery Man said:

I didn’t like mustard as a kid, but it has grown on me. I keep a bottle of Gulden’s Spicy Brown in the fridge.

I had this stuff on a charcuterie board in Asheville a few months back and couldn’t stop thinking about it. Just got a few jars, it is the shit. Man I’m just dipping pretzels in it and feeling the sinus burn.

E0867E72-B170-4B48-91D4-5999A0F37E97.thumb.jpeg.52f237e3aecfe452f0ee7288b51638c9.jpeg

They are so damn good. In Augusta they paired Original Sin with Red Dragon cheese and it is outstanding. I’ve used the Temptation honey mustard in a few salad dressings that Ive made. Haven’t tried Burn in Hell yet though. Soooooo good. Best mustard I have had. I got two for my cousin who is a big foodie and cook and my uncle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tablespoon of Dijon and about a cup of olive oil and a little balsamic in a container and shaken until emulsified  -best salad dressing ever... (I don't measure but do it by eye)

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Grew up eating French's yellow, but prefer Heinz or Whataburger yellow now. Heinz brown isn't spicy at all, but has a unique flavor that I like. Also enjoy the whole grain versions from various brands. Can't remember where I get this one, but it's good stuff.53299a0af59f9071adad79c636cebc31.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2022 at 4:39 PM, RPM said:

I've never been a fan of yellow mustard. It's just vile and ruins everything it comes in contact with. But, when I was Lil' RPM at Elementary school in the 60's one of the 5 snack choices we had in the only vending machine was giant pretzel sticks with Gulden's mustard (the other 4 were Corn Nuts, BBQ Corn Nuts, Luden's Wild Cherry cough drops & Kraft Cheese & Crackers). I really liked that mustard. Coarse ground is infinitely better than that yellow baby shit. The Sandwich Pal line of stuff is legit. Our meat department carried it when I was a grocery manager.

I gotta say…this totally wins the What The Buck storytelling award for the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/12/2022 at 12:53 PM, Fondren & Main said:

Mustard is superior to Mayo.

Mustard is king of the condiments, I love almost all of them.
Yellow, horseradish, stoneground, dijon, poupon, whole grain, brown, etc
I'll put it on eggs, cheese, popcorn, all sandwiches, a different one on each brat, and mix it with siracha, tabasco, cholula...

Hell if I ever figure out where MIddleton, WI is I'll go to the mustard museum
A view of some of the museum’s shelves.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just checked the fridge--- multiple hot sauces- cajun and habanero, and only French's Yellow on the mustard side.  Pretty vanilla daily driver, but, gets the job done.

Used to love the sinus clearing English mustard (Colman's?) on chicken/ various lunch sandwiches when I was working in London, and the Dusseldorf/ Koln mustards on brats/ grilled sausages in Germany were great.  Gonna have to up my USA game...

Can't stand Mayo, but, one of you sweet bastards has the Texadelphia mustard blend recipe to share with us (which I'm sure has mayo in it).  That may be better than any plain mustard.

Rock on.

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

They are so damn good. In Augusta they paired Original Sin with Red Dragon cheese and it is outstanding. I’ve used the Temptation honey mustard in a few salad dressings that Ive made. Haven’t tried Burn in Hell yet though. Soooooo good. Best mustard I have had. I got two for my cousin who is a big foodie and cook and my uncle. 

glad I'm not the only one who has tried this stuff. I'm not enough of a connoisseur of mustards to know all the different types but I believe this is the English style and it is very spicy. Even the honey mustard - you can taste the sweet, but about a second after a good bite it tingles the nose.

21 minutes ago, tigol said:

Anyone with their Texadelphia mustard recipe?  1st hit on the google.

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/texadelphias-mustard-blend.10167/

@Patricio Swayze ? I feel like he talked about working at Texadelphia

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, After irth said:

You might be confusing me with someone. And that someone prefers fake titties. And fake titties are just wrong. 

On this board it’s a safe bet because the majority thinks that bleach blonde with fake tits = hot. So I took a shot, just playing the odds.

But Heaven forbid I should talk about mustard in the mustard thread. And then take shit for it? I love mustard. Chances are I’ve thrown out more bottles/jars of mustard than you own. I’m always looking to try new varieties. I generally have 8-12 of them, not counting Coleman’s dry mustard powder, at any given time. Perhaps I’m overqualified to post in the mustard thread so I’m not welcome here. That would be pretty “aggy” of you, don’t you think? If you think the thread should be just for posting, ‘Here’s a type of mustard,’ then you’re probably right. 

On 6/13/2022 at 1:26 PM, rage-a-holic said:

i always bring a bunch of these down to Mexico, most people here aren't real into horseradish

image.png.fd0a56271bd8e15b73f9ba55c0f8f751.png

Silver Spring makes good mustard. I have a bottle of that. They also make the best chipotle mustard of the several I’ve tried. I have to go to one of a couple specialty markets I know of to get it because they don’t carry it in the regular grocery stores. But it’s excellent. 

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

On this board it’s a safe bet because the majority thinks that bleach blonde with fake tits = hot. So I took a shot, just playing the odds.

But Heaven forbid I should talk about mustard in the mustard thread. And then take shit for it? I love mustard. Chances are I’ve thrown out more bottles/jars of mustard than you own. I’m always looking to try new varieties. I generally have 8-12 of them, not counting Coleman’s dry mustard powder, at any given time. Perhaps I’m overqualified to post in the mustard thread so I’m not welcome here. That would be pretty “aggy” of you, don’t you think? If you think the thread should be just for posting, ‘Here’s a type of mustard,’ then you’re probably right. 

Cool story, bro.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Mustard is king of the condiments, I love almost all of them.
Yellow, horseradish, stoneground, dijon, poupon, whole grain, brown, etc
I'll put it on eggs, cheese, popcorn, all sandwiches, a different one on each brat, and mix it with siracha, tabasco, cholula...

Hell if I ever figure out where MIddleton, WI is I'll go to the mustard museum
A view of some of the museum’s shelves.

According to Google, I'm 157 miles from Middleton.

This seems like something I need to do next time I go to Madison (it's a suburb of Madison).

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

I love the origin story...

This_mustard_story_began....png?v=166086

...back on January 30th of 2002, when Bijan Robinson was born in a hospital by a doctor. Two things occurred to Bijan instantly upon being born. One, that the world is bright and lights can hurt your eyes when you’ve never seen them before. And two, that his purpose in this world would be to score touchdowns. And score touchdowns Bijan did.

Throughout his formative years, Bijan scored touchdowns everywhere, mostly on the football field via football. By 2022, Bijan had scored touchdowns in every way, shape, and form. Running and receiving. Stiff arming and juking. Even occasionally passing. The only place he hadn’t scored a touchdown was his taste buds.

So Bijan did what everyone expected Bijan to do: Create his own gourmet dijon mustard and call it Bijan Mustardson. With the help of top-quality chefs, Bijan made a mustard that was so good, it tasted like a touchdown. It was then he knew, pending production timelines, mouth touchdowns for everyone would be a mustard-purchase away.

In August of 2022, right before football season, purely by happenstance, Bijan Mustardson hit shelves. And the rest is history. But also the future. Mostly the future.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2