Nice dinner in Galveston?

Brisketexan

So, we’re going to she have a Friday night in Galveston, and the opportunity for dinner out, maybe just us, maybe with another couple. We’ve already got a scheduled dinner at Gaido’s the night before, so that’s covered for this trip.

We’re staying at the San Luis, but obviously are willing to drive.

Been a long time since I ate anything in Galveston other than a burger with the kids, so insight is welcome.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, they’re booked.

The steakhouse at the San Luis actually looks pretty damn good…..

Try calling. Open Table will often say they have no availability when they actually do. You can also try Vargas Cut and Catch across the street. Not sure how nice you would consider it, but Riondo’s on Strand is pretty good.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

If Rudy and Paco's is booked, Blvd. Seafood has been very good in the past.  I have to travel to Galveston 1-2 times a year to see an account there and have been multiple times.

Small, neighborhood kind of joint.....appears to be a lot of locals as the main customer base.

I've enjoyed it.  https://blvdseafood.com/food/

• Like 1

1200px-Bubba_Gump_logo.svg.png

... But if that's all booked up, Mosquito Cafe is great; though it's an order at the counter type place and it sound like you might be looking for full service.

I attended a rehearsal dinner at Hearsay in January, the menu was mostly pre-selected but I remember it being pretty good. 

On 6/12/2022 at 7:47 PM, Brisketexan said:

So, we’re going to she have a Friday night in Galveston, and the opportunity for dinner out, maybe just us, maybe with another couple. We’ve already got a scheduled dinner at Gaido’s the night before, so that’s covered for this trip.

Been a long time since I ate anything in Galveston other than a burger with the kids, so insight is welcome.

If you're already staying at the San Luis, head over to Rainforest Cafe and give Fertitta more $$$.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:06 AM, Reagan1k said:

If Rudy and Paco's is booked, Blvd. Seafood has been very good in the past.  I have to travel to Galveston 1-2 times a year to see an account there and have been multiple times.

Small, neighborhood kind of joint.....appears to be a lot of locals as the main customer base.

I've enjoyed it.  https://blvdseafood.com/food/

I am a big fan of Blvd.

If you want to be creative then just go to the front bar / lounge deal at Vargas (no reservations) for a couple early drinks and apps; Astros game should be on too. Then go (e.g. walk) wherever for your dinner. It’s a cool vibe in there and service has been good in my experience.

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think everybody should go to Gaido’s once. Nice white tablecloth seafood joint on the Seawall. 

i've been to gaido's once, and agree you should have the experience in your background, but i'm not sure i'd go back.  decor kind of 60's ish, menu kind of 60's ish.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Try calling. Open Table will often say they have no availability when they actually do. You can also try Vargas Cut and Catch across the street. Not sure how nice you would consider it, but Riondo’s on Strand is pretty good.  

This right here. A lot of places, especially in touristy areas or lots of walk-in traffic only allocate a portion of their seats to open table. Might be fees or number of no shows or what ever. Some post thaw ir policy like some FTW stockyards placesCall or go to their website.

I once projectile vomited fresh crawfish nachos all over a chick’s bathroom. Seems like I scrubbed down those walls forever.  They were delicious going down, though. Couldn’t tell you where they were from, originally. 

You’ll be happy to know I had sex with her, though. We had Anthrax turned up so loud, that no one else in the house could hear us. 

A few nights later, her friend quietly snuck into my bunk and fucked me too. Twice. 

For the rest of the week, people asked why the hall bath smelled like seafood. I never said a word. 

Good times. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, Brisketexan said:

On 6/12/2022 at 9:53 PM, futureman said:

there are several threads on this. I was just in Galveston for the first time last week and did some research beforehand. 

I'm pretty sure the surly go to is Whataburger

10 minutes ago, After irth said:

I once projectile vomited fresh crawfish nachos all over a chick’s bathroom. Seems like I scrubbed down those walls forever.  They were delicious going down, though. Couldn’t tell you where they were from, originally. 

You’ll be happy to know I had sex with her, though. We had Anthrax turned up so loud, that no one else in the house could hear us. 

A few nights later, her friend quietly snuck into my bunk and fucked me too. Twice. 

For the rest of the week, people asked why the hall bath smelled like seafood. I never said a word. 

Good times. 

Romantic motherfucker right here.  Take notes, gentlemen.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i've been to gaido's once, and agree you should have the experience in your background, but i'm not sure i'd go back.  decor kind of 60's ish, menu kind of 60's ish.

Yep. Pretty much the reason we go there. The place is a time capsule. My parents ate there, my grandparents ate there, and so forth. If you’re looking for some modern culinary seafood experience, don’t go to Gaido’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Early in our dating, wife and I spent a weekend down in Galveston for fucking, fishing and frolicking, not in that particular order.  We ate dinner at Gaidos and being the uncouth dweebs that we were/ are, we didn’t know what to do with the warm lemon water they serve after the meal…. So we drank it.  It wasn’t until we noticed everyone else using it for their hands that we realized we goofed, bet the waiter/waitress probably wondered wtf?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/14/2022 at 9:36 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I think everybody should go to Gaido’s once. Nice white tablecloth seafood joint on the Seawall. 

I second Gaido’s, we have dined there twice and were not disappointed.Nice place, not noisy, with a  very good menu.

But then again what do us olds know?

http://www.gaidos.com

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

It's a parking lot across the street from my Uhaul/state inpection guy.

If you need a knife or have a vehicle that will not pass inspection that's where you go. 

Shearns up top at Moody is a nice place. 

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2022 at 8:51 AM, Da Fino said:

Clary died in 2016. 

Clary’s was the cat’s ass.  Order flounder - a whole flounder.  

Eat the top half half and the waiter comes over with a fork and knife - lifts out the spine and bones in one shot - now eat the bottom half you sweaty tourist. 

What will we do for entertainment when all we have left are chains and Sysco?

On 6/14/2022 at 9:42 AM, thrillhammer said:

On 6/15/2022 at 5:54 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep. Pretty much the reason we go there. The place is a time capsule. My parents ate there, my grandparents ate there, and so forth. If you’re looking for some modern culinary seafood experience, don’t go to Gaido’s. 

This.

The nostalgia is part of the draw for me.  We went for my wife's grandmother's 90th birthday and it was great.  Great service.

The wood paneling, the kitschy seascape decor is time warp back to my childhood.

On 6/15/2022 at 6:58 AM, CoTex said:

What’s the restaurant like at the Moody Gardens hotel? I’ve been to the other places mentioned, but never there.

whatever happened to Clary’s?  That place was a timecapsule.

Shearns is the Steakhouse on top of the hotel.  Very nice but I would say secondary to #13 and The Steakhouse at San Luis.  

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Is that Cajun Greek (name?) place good ?

Yes its good but it seems like they have quadrupled prices since they first opened.  It was a great “hole in the wall” type when they first opened but now are in the tourist price gouging business in my opinion. But you most likely wont be disappointed.  Good service.