The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

Just a quick reminder for those of you that are looking for flights (especially if you are coming out or through Chicago)..

It is closer to drive in from Sioux City IA or Sioux Falls SD than to attempt to do the fly in and drive via KC.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Does this mean we are at 1pm?

I don't think that's official.  I think it rotates based on even/odd year, maybe? 

Last year, #1 vs. #8 matchup played game 1 on day 1.  Same in 2019 and 2017. 

In 2016 and 2018, it was game 2 on day 2.  Obviously we have no data from 2020 with it being cancelled. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I don't think that's official.  I think it rotates based on even/odd year, maybe? 

Last year, #1 vs. #8 matchup played game 1 on day 1.  Same in 2019 and 2017. 

In 2016 and 2018, it was game 2 on day 2.  Obviously we have no data from 2020 with it being cancelled. 

Bracket 1 will definitely be our side, meaning we will play Friday / Sunday.  We are sure who gets game 1 vs game 2 is determined by NCAA / TV?  Or is it a situation where highest seed can choose?  I hope it's the former because we've seen what DP will choose if given the chance... 

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Bracket 1 will definitely be our side, meaning we will play Friday / Sunday.  We are sure who gets game 1 vs game 2 is determined by NCAA / TV?  Or is it a situation where highest seed can choose?  I hope it's the former because we've seen what DP will choose if given the chance... 

Pretty sure it’s a TV decision. Really hoping it’s the night game, but I’ll be there either way. Going to be a long week in anticipation.

10 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Pretty sure it’s a TV decision. Really hoping it’s the night game, but I’ll be there either way. Going to be a long week in anticipation.

Brands, Texas and Notre Dame. Ratings. If they can put this game into a night time slot they will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Got this gem from the Notre Dame message boards

Some guy said he preferred Texas over ECU and said the following:

"I’ve watched them play a lot this year along with Coastal Carolina, Clemson and South Carolina and I think they are a more complete and better team. They were regional hosts and they were a higher seed. Texas was 0-18 when losing after 7 innings and I don’t think they are nearly as complete a team.

I mean I have zero doubts we can play with anyone but I think ECU would give us more problems than Texas. Just my opinion"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

According to Huckleberry?

Essentially, yes. It's from my college baseball EWP ratings but they're not posted anywhere. Texas is the #2 team in the country by power rating and #1 won't be traveling to Omaha now. 

As many have mentioned here, the committee did just as terrible a job as usual seeding teams. Notre Dame was around a top ten EWP team before the tournament started. I'll post some of the ratings maybe this evening. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So far, the 'horns are the only team of the 6 to advance that was there last year.  Stanford could be another if they beat UConn.  Beyond that, nada.  No CWS in 2020.  Arkansas made it in 2019, as did Auburn (who could advance today).  I don't think 2019 is very relevant in 2022.

I'm liking the experience advantage, and not just because of the repeat angle but also just the juggernaut effect of 38 trips.  It will be talked up a lot, to all the other teams.  

I'm not gonna wish to be the team that sends both A&M and OU packing, because that might only be possible through the losers bracket.  I haven't figured all the permutations.  Just getting to the finals would be good enough.

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Got this gem from the Notre Dame message boards

Some guy said he preferred Texas over ECU and said the following:

"I’ve watched them play a lot this year along with Coastal Carolina, Clemson and South Carolina and I think they are a more complete and better team. They were regional hosts and they were a higher seed. Texas was 0-18 when losing after 7 innings and I don’t think they are nearly as complete a team.

I mean I have zero doubts we can play with anyone but I think ECU would give us more problems than Texas. Just my opinion"

He got his wish. Good luck with that, dude! 🤣

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

The 3rd game is the only one you can lose that doesn't put you at a disadvantage to your competition.

Disagree. The competition is also on the other side of the bracket. Any loss requires more arms/pitches.

Ideally, you want to go 3-0 with relative ease and have the other side have to come through the loser's bracket and the If Necessary game.

47 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not gonna wish to be the team that sends both A&M and OU packing, because that might only be possible through the losers bracket.  I haven't figured all the permutations.  Just getting to the finals would be good enough.

Yeah, if you win your first 2 games you only get to directly eliminate one team and that's just fine.  If all goes well, my guess is that we don't play aggy at all and face ou in the bracket championship.

10 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Disagree. The competition is also on the other side of the bracket. Any loss requires more arms/pitches.

Ideally, you want to go 3-0 with relative ease and have the other side have to come through the loser's bracket and the If Necessary game.

exactly

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Texas
+360
Stanford
+460
Oregon State
+470
Texas A&M
+750
Arkansas
+850
Notre Dame
+900
Oklahoma
+900
Ole Miss
+950
Auburn
+1900
Connecticut
+4500

https://www.thelines.com/odds/college-world-series/ 

Interesting that 2 teams that still have an elimination game to win opened up with 2nd and 3rd best odds.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Essentially, yes. It's from my college baseball EWP ratings but they're not posted anywhere. Texas is the #2 team in the country by power rating and #1 won't be traveling to Omaha now. 

As many have mentioned here, the committee did just as terrible a job as usual seeding teams. Notre Dame was around a top ten EWP team before the tournament started. I'll post some of the ratings maybe this evening. 

Do the ratings factor in clutchiness?

30 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Ok that's fair. I'd forgotten that there's only ~2 days between the double elim phase and the best of 3 finals

I think under this current 2 bracket set up we'd have more NC's.  the original 8 team double elim CWS bracket was fucking brutal.  

Yeah….but the worst was 1989, the first year they had the double elimination up to but not including the Championship game. We came through unscathed, then lost to Wichita St., who already had one loss. And we had Dressendorfer ready to go the next day. Fucking CBS needed a “guaranteed” Championship game to agree to nationally televise.
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Do random numbers on the internet impact this series?

Ok then.

Percent chance OU wins the bracket: 1000%

OU is playing with house money.  Love it.  Thanks for Skip Johnson.  Great guy and a great coach.  I would put you guys in as the favorites too in that mini bracket.  LFG