The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Is my math right that outside of the 1994, 95, 96 freshman classes at UT, every other class visited Omaha at least once. That’s absolute ducking insanity if so. 

F04E440B-7A73-4ED3-830D-9F365D98EC52.png

What's really amazing is how consistent we have been. It's pretty much 50% of the time no matter how far back you go. 

4 times out of last 10 years. 

10 out of last 20 years.

13 out of last 30

19 out of last 40 years. 

25 out of last 50 years. 

Etc. 

This isn't a record built on a few long streaks in really discrete periods of time (hi USC). Just consistent dominance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

This is why I love the disch. Plays very similar to Omaha. Gets us plenty of practice for our real home 

Texas for sure and OU to a certain extent since we played a series in Arlington and the conference tournament. 

I personally chuckle when I see opposing fans or players throwing the horns down because it shows that Texas is living in their heads rent free to the point that they can only try to change the horns up instead of coming up with something original or interesting on their own.  I also don't get upset when I see horns down in part because that's what the morons want to see happen, so I don't give them the satisfaction.   

That said, for this douche clown to state,  "Saying that I'm making a mockery of a participating team because I put a Horns Down is ridiculous" is itself ludicrous.  Of course throwing the horns down immediately after the national anthem was an effort to mock the Lady Horns.  For him to suggest otherwise shows just how fucking moronic he is.

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Podrick's Magic Cock said:

We'll be spared a dip shit aggy singing the national anthem at the CWS.  Horns down is considered offensive.

Gotta love the total lack of a clue displayed by this rube:

"Collier said he is still surprised by the reaction and said he considers the gesture just part of the array of hand signs for Texas schools like A&M, Texas or Texas Tech. As a result, he said his issue was that the NCAA considered the Horns Down offensive.

'Absolutely not,' he said. 'I believe it's part of the rivalry. It's part of college sports. I don't believe the Horns Down is any more offensive than a Gig 'Em or a Hook 'Em or a Wreck 'Em.'

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Was talking with a friend earlier today and was trying to remember.....was it the 2014 CWS when the wind was blowing in like 20 MPH the first few days and the outfielders were basically playing right behind the infield dirt? We beat like UC Irvine 1-0 on a solo home run in an elimination game.

Yeah and they beat us 3-1 in game 1. Nobody could score.

Which was fine for our 2014 team as they couldn't score even when the wind was blowing out.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

FWIW they posted on one of the 9.95 sites and said A&M has it set up where every baseball player on the roster gets ~$1500 a month. Mississippi State players get $15K a year.

Fifteen thou a year will buy a lotta beer...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Gotta love the total lack of a clue displayed by this rube:

"Collier said he is still surprised by the reaction and said he considers the gesture just part of the array of hand signs for Texas schools like A&M, Texas or Texas Tech. As a result, he said his issue was that the NCAA considered the Horns Down offensive.

'Absolutely not,' he said. 'I believe it's part of the rivalry. It's part of college sports. I don't believe the Horns Down is any more offensive than a Gig 'Em or a Hook 'Em or a Wreck 'Em.'

Nice to see that aggy isn't getting any smarter.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Decades ago there used to be a few football guys on the baseball team. Keith Moreland, of course, Peter Gardere and Darrick Duke also come to mind. Oh and Shea Morenz.

But nobody does that anymore. Multi-sport D1 guys are really rare much less in multiple major sports.

There was also this other guy you might have heard of…

3E70BFCF-14A9-49DF-B027-EA39E48B7B91.jpeg.d72550604cd398f253829ede1e0b765f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

One thing that’s interesting - the HR allowed for our starters: Pete (15), Lucas (2), Tristan (10). Pete is at 100 ip vs 80 for gordon and stevens, but wow pete has been hit hard. Wonder if its regression, bad luck, or the balls this year (maybe all three). Lucas giving up no homers is interesting, and makes me wonder how that changes matchup dynamics.

The wind has blown out to LF all year in '22.  That is part of the reason our team has obliterated the HR record offensively.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Decades ago there used to be a few football guys on the baseball team. Keith Moreland, of course, Peter Gardere and Darrick Duke also come to mind. Oh and Shea Morenz.

But nobody does that anymore. Multi-sport D1 guys are really rare much less in multiple major sports.

James Street and Randy Peschel might be a couple of familiar names from the gridiron. (just noticed the Street mentions)

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 1

Listening to the D1 baseball CWS preview they did a stat breakdown. They said Texas has the best offense and defense at the CWS. 

Their main takeaway from the super regional was Tristan Stevens. Based on their analysis, sounds like they believe Texas is the favorite to win it all if the same Stevens shows up for the CWS. 

Not exactly breaking news because most Texas fans would likely say the same thing. 

5 hours ago, bluto said:

Johnny walker and some old eff named street

James Street was a helluva Texas Baseball player...

Street was a two-time 2nd Team All-American baseball player who posted a 29-8 record on the mound. He made the All-Southwest Conference Team three years in a row and was the team's MVP every year. In 1968, he led the team in wins, ERA, innings pitched and strikeouts. He threw a no-hitter in 1969 versus SMU and another in 1970 versus Texas Tech. The Texas Tech no-hitter was a perfect game, the only one in the history of the Southwest Conference or the University of Texas.  He helped Texas win three Southwest Conference titles and go to three straight College World Series, finishing as high as 3rd in 1970.

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

There was also this other guy you might have heard of…

3E70BFCF-14A9-49DF-B027-EA39E48B7B91.jpeg.d72550604cd398f253829ede1e0b765f.jpeg

Royal was #20?  Interesting.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

James Street was a helluva Texas Baseball player...

Street was a two-time 2nd Team All-American baseball player who posted a 29-8 record on the mound. He made the All-Southwest Conference Team three years in a row and was the team's MVP every year. In 1968, he led the team in wins, ERA, innings pitched and strikeouts. He threw a no-hitter in 1969 versus SMU and another in 1970 versus Texas Tech. The Texas Tech no-hitter was a perfect game, the only one in the history of the Southwest Conference or the University of Texas.  He helped Texas win three Southwest Conference titles and go to three straight College World Series, finishing as high as 3rd in 1970.

Also interesting -SMU once had baseball (never made sense to me that they didn't) .  Had to look it up.  They stopped in 1980.  

Edited by Bullneck

31 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Royal was #20?  Interesting.

Also interesting -SMU once had baseball (never made sense to me that they didn't) .  Had to look it up.  They stopped in 1980.  

Probably more to it but think they dropped it due to Title IX. Chose soccer over baseball, I believe. If DBU can be good, SMU could’ve been good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Wait…Johnny Walker (like Ricky) signed pro baseball contracts so while they could play football, they couldn’t play baseball at UT. Right?

Walker did play at UT for at least one season, I definitely remember him. Maybe he signed it while he was still at UT but not playing for the baseball team?