The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

22 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It was. And we still hit the ball hard. They pounded the zone and dared us to hit. And we hit some but as some others have said, we had a couple guys have multiple bad ABs in important situations. Can’t win that way against good teams. 

True. It won’t happen again. This team has no quit in them. Relax boys, we’ll be playing in the national championship in a week 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ImissWallyPryor said:

Huh?

Forgive me... I've been drinking for a while.  It's a take on every TexAgs post that starts off with a fan from the visiting team getting lost on the way to Kyle Field only to be saved by heavenly aggy fans and shown how to get to the stadium.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, smoky said:

Forgive me... I've been drinking for a while.  It's a take on every TexAgs post that starts off with a fan from the visiting team getting lost on the way to Kyle Field only to be saved by heavenly aggy fans and shown how to get to the stadium.

Of course. If only we could be aggy. 

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Again, just stating facts in response to a comment about their pitching staff making Tennessee look stupid. That wasn’t the case. 

That one kid who got thrown out of the game after a strike 2 call looked pretty stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

True. It won’t happen again. This team has no quit in them. Relax boys, we’ll be playing in the national championship in a week 

It’s interesting with this years offense, we aren’t just a power team compared to our previous iterations under DP and have the most doubles in the CWS field, but we still struggle to manufacture runs. Against the good pitching we need to be more aggressive on the bases and be more creative with our offensive decisions. You can’t always hit your way there. Sometimes you need to apply pressure and force mistakes. We still don’t do that part very well other than maybe one season under Pierce.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s interesting with this years offense, we aren’t just a power team compared to our previous iterations under DP and have the most doubles in the CWS field, but we still struggle to manufacture runs. Against the good pitching we need to be more aggressive on the bases and be more creative with our offensive decisions. You can’t always hit your way there. Sometimes you need to apply pressure and force mistakes. We still don’t do that part very well other than maybe one season under Pierce.

I bet we see more steals and hit snd runs and bunts against aggy 

I think it was actually a lot worse than everyone is saying … it was an Augie special, the game is just cruel. Out at home reversed call, bunt throw out at second a terrible decision that paid off, two rope line outs to third when we needed a rally, two or three up the middle hits including one Pete blocked for a hit, and needing to break through and just not having it. ND got all the breaks, Texas got none. Even the first inning homer felt bizarre. True the offense didn’t have a crooked number but I saw too many lucky breaks for the bad guys and not enough for the good guys. ND pitched extremely well, but I don’t actually think that was the determining factor I think it was the cruelty of the game and those are the worst games to lose. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I think it was actually a lot worse than everyone is saying … it was an Augie special, the game is just cruel. Out at home reversed call, bunt throw out at second a terrible decision that paid off, two rope line outs to third when we needed a rally, two or three up the middle hits including one Pete blocked for a hit, and needing to break through and just not having it. ND got all the breaks, Texas got none. Even the first inning homer felt bizarre. True the offense didn’t have a crooked number but I saw too many lucky breaks for the bad guys and not enough for the good guys. ND pitched extremely well, but I don’t actually think that was the determining factor I think it was the cruelty of the game and those are the worst games to lose. 

Thinking similar. Sometimes that’s just the way it goes

35 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Well, Crystal Gayle and her and Loretta’s sister Peggy Sue brought heart and soul to their performance tonight.

Thank god 70+ year old women provided a distraction for me to avoid watching a gutless performance 20 something year old dudes.

Gutless? You are a pussy.

2 minutes ago, austintiger said:

You are never winning a championship with pierce. He is just good enough to not get fired. Can't recruit for shit either. 

He is a good coach..just not great.

Omaha half his tenure, deep runs when there, won the conference multiple times.  I think most of us with any baseball knowledge agree with you, average at best he’s gotta go. 

I remember thinking coach Gus played too conservative at times as a pony leaguer when I was a kid, most thought Augie had lost it and was past his prime when he was a few years into it at texas, and some think DP is worse.  Let’s fire him before we find out. 

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 9:04 AM, TrashMaster G said:

A chart of Omaha history for the field...

Trip

Titles

Wins

Losses

Texas

38th

Stanford

18th

Oklahoma

11th

Arkansas

11th

texas a&m

7th

LOL

Ole Miss

6th

Auburn

6th

Notre Dame

3rd

Let's keep aggy at 2 wins in Omaha...  

8 minutes ago, austintiger said:

You are never winning a championship with pierce. He is just good enough to not get fired. Can't recruit for shit either. 

Has taken two different rosters to Omaha, but “can’t recruit”. Won with transfers, won with freshman, won with juco guys.

Got it.

I will say, one thing that bothers me is our players always saying stuff before playing OU or A&M like “it’s just another game. No one likes us so we don’t treat it any differently”. While the OU and A&M players jack off to the thought of beating us. Probably why they seem to punch us in the mouth way more often than we do to them.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I will say, one thing that bothers me is our players always saying stuff before playing OU or A&M like “it’s just another game. No one likes us so we don’t treat it any differently”. While the OU and A&M players jack off to the thought of beating us. Probably why they seem to punch us in the mouth way more often than we do to them.

We punch OU in the mouth plenty.

Probably true about the A&M Tuesday game though.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Has taken two different rosters to Omaha, but “can’t recruit”. Won with transfers, won with freshman, won with juco guys.

Got it.

To be fair, the offensive development really took off once Tulo came on board. Tulo is also the primary driving force behind the Cali recruiting and the only reason Messinger is here right now. Pierce's baby is also a shitshow this season.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nothing like boiling down a 6 year tenure and judging it off a single game that will happen on Sunday.

Peak Surly.

Well let’s be fair, he really doesn’t want to be one of what? 3 texas teams in 38 trips to go 0-2… that really isn’t something we do. 

Just now, HtownHorn said:

To be fair, the offensive development really took off once Tulo came on board. Tulo is also the primary driving force behind the Cali recruiting and the only reason Messinger is here right now. Pierce's baby is also a shitshow this season.

Pierce got to Omaha and won the Big 12 without Tulo. 

Every team's pitching staff is a shitshow this year. I don't know what is going on. We'll see if these pitching problems continue.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

If aggy wins Sunday, they'll whoop and holler for 48 hours, but you know the next elimination game will be a let down and they'll be on their way home too.  But they don't care.. beat Texas. Same as its always been. They would have won the national championship in their little minds, yet the Hall of Champions would be just as bare for another school year. And their win total in the CWS went from 2 to 3 playing just 17 games Omaha in the 70+ years of its existence. Big deal aggy. 

1 minute ago, troph said:

Well let’s be fair, he really doesn’t want to be one of what? 3 texas teams in 38 trips to go 0-2… that really isn’t something we do. 

Certainly much to discuss about the future of the program.

But we still have at least one more game to play.

20 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Pierce seems to be pretty adept at assembling a roster, man management, and getting his teams to play well in the post season. He has his faults but they are pretty easily corrected with a pitching coach upgrade and someone else at 3rd. To me he’s is a better version of Mack. He runs the program but there is some game day struggle sometimes. Tulo has been great for the hitting. We need to do something similar for the pitching.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Pierce had Pete Hansen and Murphy Stehly committed from California before Tulo ever got on staff. Only other current California player is Gordon so if you want to chalk that one up to Tulo I guess that’s fine.

If top 25 ERA in the country is shitshow then we have been spoiled the last 20 years. I understand the pitching hasn’t performed to expectation levels but he still found a way to patch it together and get to Omaha.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

To be fair Augie’s pitching staffs didn’t really take off until he brought in Frank and then Skip. Head coaches have responsibilities, hiring assistants is kind of a big part of it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You know who has his players talking like that? Nick Saban. You know who talked about baseball like that? Augie Garrido. I hate to break it to you, but passionate hate is for fans, championships are won by teams and athletes that know how to focus and execute better than their opponent.  hate has never been the fuel of champions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The hardest part is getting to Omaha. If you do it enough you are going to eventually bring home the title. Augie won what…2 titles in 8 trips?

No one wants to go 0-2 or lose game 1 or possibly lose to A&M to end the season but the goal of this program every year should be to get to Omaha. There are so such random shit that goes on in baseball I don’t care what your preseason ranking is, getting to Omaha is an accomplishment any damn year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

You know who has his players talking like that? Nick Saban. You know who talked about baseball like that? Augie Garrido. I hate to break it to you, but passionate hate is for fans, championships are won by teams and athletes that know how to focus and execute better than their opponent.  hate has never been the fuel of champions. 

Fair. Not saying I disagree with the method it’s just something that has always bothered me a little as a fan. I want our guys to play within themselves while also having an edge.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

There’s a reason Tennessee isn’t here

• Hook 'Em 1

For me it’s always been get to Omaha and at least win one game. The rest has to be gravy, and I love gravy, brown gravy, cream gravy, giblet gravy, gravy for breakfast, for dinner, like green eggs and ham but I always knew I liked it. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I will say….it will be nice to face A&M with an actual competent pitcher on the mound. 3 out of the last 4 years we’ve played them we’ve started Nico O’Donnell, Owen Meaney and Justin Eckhardt.

We need swagger Gordon out there on Sunday

If aggy wins Sunday, they'll whoop and holler for 48 hours, but you know the next elimination game will be a let down and they'll be on their way home too.  But they don't care.. beat Texas. Same as its always been. They would have won the national championship in their little minds, yet the Hall of Champions would be just as bare for another school year. And their win total in the CWS went from 2 to 3 playing just 17 games Omaha in the 70+ years of its existence. Big deal aggy. 

That is as aggy as aggy gets. Get it together bro.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I will say….it will be nice to face A&M with an actual competent pitcher on the mound. 3 out of the last 4 years we’ve played them we’ve started Nico O’Donnell, Owen Meaney and Justin Eckhardt.

Yeah we’re going to kick the shit out of them. Chill y’all. We’re gonna climb through the losers bracket and make the finals. These guys are fighters 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

We need swagger Gordon out there on Sunday

We definitely need to play with the confidence we saw in game three of the ECU series. First inning by the time Ivan stepped into the batters box it was clear Texas was confident. We need confident focused energy. Don’t know if we started with it or not tonight but the way the breaks fell we certainly didn’t finish with it. But it’s entirely the difference maker at this point.