The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

48 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

pierce doesn't teach this at all. everyone pretty much swings the same way regardless of count.

That’s baseball now. Strikeouts don’t matter. Makes the game very boring to watch but the data (at the MLB level) is hard to argue with. Almost no correlation between strikeouts and wRC+. 

I do think at amateur levels where the pitchers/defense aren’t as good, you’re better off putting the ball in play and taking your chances vs swinging big. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s baseball now. Strikeouts don’t matter. Makes the game very boring to watch but the data (at the MLB level) is hard to argue with. Almost no correlation between strikeouts and wRC+. 

I do think at amateur levels where the pitchers/defense aren’t as good, you’re better off putting the ball in play and taking your chances vs swinging big. 

Yeah no shit. Errors actually happen in college baseball and bunts and slow grounders put pressure on the opposition. Wait why am I talking to a moron 

Fucking hell. @ss13 @Beau Vine you guys couldn’t keep Vic and helobious contained in the mlb thread!??? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Smoked brisket and ribs and sat down to watch the game with my dad and all my kids. Hell, my 11 year old daughter stuck around to watch the Astros game afterwards. Today was a good day.

Losing baseball games happen, whatever. Don't give a shit that it was to that mosquito in college station. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I went to my in-laws' this weekend and was traveling during both games.  I was annoyed about that as late as Friday afternoon.  Now I'm glad that I didn't watch those two embarrassments.  Exiting like lambs.  Fuck.

It could be worse, I was at my “aggy” in-laws and didn’t hear the end of this shit all day. Fuck this day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

It could be worse, I was at my “aggy” in-laws and didn’t hear the end of this shit all day. Fuck this day.

That fucking sucks man. It's one thing to put your phone down and step away from the internet. But you really took one for the team. Remind me to buy you a beer if we ever meet. 

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

Smoked brisket and ribs and sat down to watch the game with my dad and all my kids. Hell, my 11 year old daughter stuck around to watch the Astros game afterwards. Today was a good day.

Losing baseball games happen, whatever. Don't give a shit that it was to that mosquito in college station. 

I called my dad after the game today... "Oh that was today? Shit I forget what day it is sometimes. How'd we do?" ... I told him... "Yeah it sucks losing to those idiots... so.... how's potty training going?" 

Kinda put things in perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah no shit. Errors actually happen in college baseball and bunts and slow grounders put pressure on the opposition. Wait why am I talking to a moron 

Fucking hell. @ss13 @Beau Vine you guys couldn’t keep Vic and helobious contained in the mlb thread!??? 

……and the real fucking irony is that a former Augie disciple used small ball to beat ND last night. 

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I called my dad after the game today... "Oh that was today? Shit I forget what day it is sometimes. How'd we do?" ... I told him... "Yeah it sucks losing to those idiots... so.... how's potty training going?" 

Kinda put things in perspective. 

So true. If you’re still shitting your pants at your age, then you have way bigger problems than losing to aggy. In fact, that probably means you are an aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

and today topped what moment for them? walking us off twice in one day in 1989 regular season? Some program you got their aggy

And that team went 2 and out in a regional they hosted if I recall, while Texas finished 2nd in Omaha.

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

……and the real fucking irony is that a former Augie disciple used small ball to beat ND last night. 

No, he used something called "pitching," which is a necessary component of winning with small ball.  

Small ball doesn't win you shit when you're giving up 7-10 runs in a game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

Until Texas at least wins the NC again.

I'm ok with that.  Last won the title in in 2005 and since then, we have only been 6 times, with 1 runner up finish. 4-2 (runner up), 0-2, 2-2, 0-2, 2-2, 0-2

Outside of 2009, since our last title, we are 4-10 in Omaha (8-12 including 2009).  Aggy would kill for that 4-10 record in 5 trips, but that's not our standard. 

Just brutal that the softball team did what everyone expected the baseball team to do (make the champ series) and the baseball team's 2-and-Q was what we expected for the softball team.  Such is the ball and bat sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm ok with that.  Last won the title in in 2005 and since then, we have only been 6 times, with 1 runner up finish. 4-2 (runner up), 0-2, 2-2, 0-2, 2-2, 0-2

Outside of 2009, since our last title, we are 4-10 in Omaha (8-12 including 2009).  Aggy would kill for that 4-10 record in 5 trips, but that's not our standard. 

Just brutal that the softball team did what everyone expected the baseball team to do (make the champ series) and the baseball team's 2-and-Q was what we expected for the softball team.  Such is the ball and bat sports. 

Doesn't make a big difference, but we went 3-2 in 2014 and 2021.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

we beat vandy in 2014 and mississippi state in 2021 in the first elimination games back through the losers bracket.

since 05, we are 10-12 in omaha games.  since 09, we are 6-10.  we didn't belong there in 2011 and 2018.  we were a significantly inferior team in both of those to basically everyone else there.  in 2011 especially, i remember thinking that we looked like a bunch of kids amongst men in omaha.  in a normal year, we wouldn't have really belong there this year with the poor pitching we had most of the year outside of a couple of gems from pete but no one was really that great this year.  it is a year of hot teams (ou, ark, and ole miss) but there are no great teams.  hitting just disappeared at the wrong time and our two decent pitchers picked the wrong time to go completely mia with a very poor bullpen.

on to next year. 

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, sidis said:

we beat vandy in 2014 and mississippi state in 2021 in the first elimination games back through the losers bracket.

since 05, we are 10-12 in omaha games.  since 09, we are 6-10.  we didn't belong there in 2011 and 2018.  we were a significantly inferior team in both of those to basically everyone else there.  in 2011 especially, i remember thinking that we looked like a bunch of kids amongst men in omaha.  in a normal year, we wouldn't have really belong there this year with the poor pitching we had most of the year outside of a couple of gems from pete but no one was really that great this year.  it is a year of hot teams (ou, ark, and ole miss) but there are no great teams.  hitting just disappeared at the wrong time and our two decent pitchers picked the wrong time to go completely mia with a very poor bullpen.

on to next year. 

“Our two decent pitchers”.  

Think about the reality of that.  

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Cajun said:

“Our two decent pitchers”.  

Think about the reality of that.  

honestly, even that is a stretch but i didn't want hobbes to lose his fucking mind again.  pete was solid (especially against bad teams) but wasn't great in the big moments.  gordon would be a middle reliever on most of our teams.  tristan was inconsistent but good in some big moments fortunately.

although, it is possible that olivares was pretty good and we will just never know.  🤬

you could have put a gun to my head and i still never would have believed that this moment in texas baseball history was capable of happening.

1010055705_ScreenShot2022-06-20at12_44_22PM.thumb.png.2536363c8d1d69979f2c2cee51f7ca6f.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Piss poor showing by Horns at CWS.

I'm still in this camp and always will.  As opposed to those that are happy for the CWS participation ribbon, and Yay we had a great season guys.

I kinda expected the ND loss, but not like that.  And I would have never guessed we lose like that to aggy in a winner go home game.  I told my aggy friends I just want a shoot out....but we forgot to shoot back. 

Absolute choke job in both games. We did have bad games during the season, but you should not have two of those back to back in Omaha. Not for a former #1 ranked.

22 minutes ago, sidis said:

honestly, even that is a stretch but i didn't want hobbes to lose his fucking mind again.  pete was solid (especially against bad teams) but wasn't great in the big moments.  gordon would be a middle reliever on most of our teams.  tristan was inconsistent but good in some big moments fortunately.

although, it is possible that olivares was pretty good and we will just never know.  🤬

you could have put a gun to my head and i still never would have believed that this moment in texas baseball history was capable of happening.

1010055705_ScreenShot2022-06-20at12_44_22PM.thumb.png.2536363c8d1d69979f2c2cee51f7ca6f.png

Witnessing that in person was one of the lowest moments of my Longhorn sports life.

14 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

I'm still in this camp and always will.  As opposed to those that are happy for the CWS participation ribbon, and Yay we had a great season guys.

I kinda expected the ND loss, but not like that.  And I would have never guessed we lose like that to aggy in a winner go home game.  I told my aggy friends I just want a shoot out....but we forgot to shoot back. 

Absolute choke job in both games. We did have bad games during the season, but you should not have two of those back to back in Omaha. Not for a former #1 ranked.

You can be realistic AND not be a participation ribbon guy at the same time.

I know it’s crazy, but it’s true.

Oh, and former #1 ranking means Jack squat.  No value. Nada.  Guy’s who are against participation ribbons should know that beauty pageants are bullshit too.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Pete is an excellent pitcher.  I love Pete.  That said, he’s not the caliber of Texas aces from the past.  He’d have been the third starter on a lot of old Texas teams.  

That’s just reality.

Such as the 2021 team

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Maybe we should give the University of Texas at Omaha bit a rest next time.

Like hell.  A couple of bad showings doesn't change the fact that making it there is our birthright.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Like hell.  A couple of bad showings doesn't change the fact that making it there is our birthright.

The fact that we’ve been there for over half the years the CWS has ever been played? 

Yeah, I think we can keep it.