The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

OU is playing with house money.  Love it.  Thanks for Skip Johnson.  Great guy and a great coach.  I would put you guys in as the favorites too in that mini bracket.  LFG

He is. We certainly miss him. I also missed Frank Anderson until his staff lost to Notre Dame.

But our dude is pretty good to.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Texas
+360
Stanford
+460
Oregon State
+470
Texas A&M
+750
Arkansas
+850
Notre Dame
+900
Oklahoma
+900
Ole Miss
+950
Auburn
+1900
Connecticut
+4500

https://www.thelines.com/odds/college-world-series/ 

No way I'd make us the favorite with our pitching.  Maybe after Stanford and the Beavers get in they move ahead of us.

• Hook 'Em 2

We have an opportunity to inflict some pain and tears on several hated rivals and go through a bracket that looks a lot more winnable with Tennessee gone.    If our pitching somehow holds together, we're looking pretty good.  End of the day, all you can ask for is the opportunity and as someone said, let's finish the year like we started.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Acropora said:

We have an opportunity to inflict some pain and tears on several hated rivals and go through a bracket that looks a lot more winnable with Tennessee gone.    If our pitching somehow holds together, we're looking pretty good.  End of the day, all you can ask for is the opportunity and as someone said, let's finish the year like we started.

One thing that's not a certainty, but a good bet, is that Pete usually follows up a bad start with a good enough start.

@ SC - 5 runs, 9 hits
UIW - 2 runs, 4 hits

KSU - 7 runs, 8 hits
Baylor - 1 run, 5 hits

OSU - 6 runs, 9 hits
WV - 2 runs, 6 hits

KU - 4 runs, 7 hits
OSU - 0 runs, 3 hits

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Their uniforms look stupid.  That's all I got.

I like ND's uniforms.  The green with blue numbers and green hats with a blue shamrock is pretty great.  And I actually kind of dig on the all-blue look with the Gaelic decoration and the gold batting helmets.

When you see those uniforms, you know who you're playing.  As opposed to a team like OU or Nebraska or Mississippi, who really could be anyone.

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Texas
+360
Stanford
+460
Oregon State
+470
Texas A&M
+750
Arkansas
+850
Notre Dame
+900
Oklahoma
+900
Ole Miss
+950
Auburn
+1900
Connecticut
+4500

https://www.thelines.com/odds/college-world-series/ 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Interesting that 2 teams that still have an elimination game to win opened up with 2nd and 3rd best odds.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

No way I'd make us the favorite with our pitching.  Maybe after Stanford and the Beavers get in they move ahead of us.

Doing some quick back of the envelope math assuming zero noise from whatever happens today and going into tomorrow (which obviously won't be the case but it's impossible to predict) OSU's CWS price should be around +280 if they win as they are -155 to win today. Stanford's CWS price should be around +325 as they are a bigger favorite at -255 today. 

So yes I would imagine Texas opens at 3rd tomorrow if they both win but it might be pretty tight between us and tree. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I like ND's uniforms.  The green with blue numbers and green hats with a blue shamrock is pretty great.  And I actually kind of dig on the all-blue look with the Gaelic decoration and the gold batting helmets.

When you see those uniforms, you know who you're playing.  As opposed to a team like OU or Nebraska or Mississippi, who really could be anyone.

These are kickass. Sort of a B- version of the A's kelly greens, which are the best-looking uniform in baseball in my biased opinion.

tyjdxufzsofp6fymy5mi

These look like pajamas. Single color dark uniforms are bad.

aHR0cHM6Ly91bmQuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBs

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Baseball pants should be grey or white unless you are playing in MLB in the 80s

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Doing some quick back of the envelope math assuming zero noise from whatever happens today and going into tomorrow (which obviously won't be the case but it's impossible to predict) OSU's CWS price should be around +280 if they win as they are -155 to win today. Stanford's CWS price should be around +325 as they are a bigger favorite at -255 today. 

So yes I would imagine Texas opens at 3rd tomorrow if they both win but it might be pretty tight between us and tree. 

You gonna hit the sharks?

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

These are kickass. Sort of a B- version of the A's kelly greens, which are the best-looking uniform in baseball in my biased opinion.

tyjdxufzsofp6fymy5mi

These look like pajamas. Single color dark uniforms are bad.

aHR0cHM6Ly91bmQuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBs

Those gold helmets are atrocious. I would say the same if we had Longhorns on both sides of our helmets. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, jinx said:

Those gold helmets are atrocious. I would say the same if we had Longhorns on both sides of our helmets. 

Agreed. Golden batting helmets suck. It just doesn't translate like the New York Giants shouldn't play football in New York Yankees pinstripes.

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I missed out on the UT at Omaha shirts last year that the Co-Op put out, so im looking forward to those this year

I thought it was really stupid that they put the number 37 on the back of those. This year is exactly why. 

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Define real coach 

Well played sir.

They win games because of Frank. Then they lose games because Vitello can’t control himself or his players. It’s fucking great and it should come as no surprise that they seem to get players or coaches ejected all the damn time. Out of control coach leads to an out of control team.

Or as I am fond of saying about our baserunning errors “stupid coaches make stupid players”. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

now that we are out of the bandbox I think I like our chances.  the new stadium in Omaha changes things on the pitching front.  We have the power and pitching in a bigger park is probably favorable to our staff.  Especially Tristan.

22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

now that we are out of the bandbox I think I like our chances.  the new stadium in Omaha changes things on the pitching front.  We have the power and pitching in a bigger park is probably favorable to our staff.  Especially Tristan.

If we could get 2021 Tristan back it changes the whole complexion of the pitching staff. Those legendary 6 innings were great for him, but they were really good for our fan base, too.

I know we’ve all given up on Nixon at this point, which is unfortunate, but someone being an automatic shutdown closer would be the only other thing that would be bigger. 

I felt guilty I was so amazed at the stat we’re 41 (now 42) and 0 when leading after 7. I should have more confidence with a lead late in games than I thought. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

One thing that's not a certainty, but a good bet, is that Pete usually follows up a bad start with a good enough start.

@ SC - 5 runs, 9 hits
UIW - 2 runs, 4 hits

KSU - 7 runs, 8 hits
Baylor - 1 run, 5 hits

OSU - 6 runs, 9 hits
WV - 2 runs, 6 hits

KU - 4 runs, 7 hits
OSU - 0 runs, 3 hits

Yea as soon as Pete got yanked I said if we win this series He’s gonna wreck havoc in Omaha 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I felt guilty I was so amazed at the stat we’re 41 (now 42) and 0 when leading after 7. I should have more confidence with a lead late in games than I thought. 

I had same reaction... can't imagine how much rockier the ride would've been had we actually been blowing late leads. 

A loss is a loss, but they're not all created equal for viewer experience.  

5 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Yea as soon as Pete got yanked I said if we win this series He’s gonna wreck havoc in Omaha 

*wreak

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That sandbox ballpark is not made for good starting pitching. 1 time through the order and it becomes danger zone. 

It's why ECU took the Johnny Wholestaff approach all year. It also makes what Stevens did last night even more incredible. 

*Allstaff

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Yeah, I have no doubt he will follow up that ECU outing with a great or good enough one against ND and our offense will back him up. 

Curious on people’s scouting take of ND. At first glance, feels like they’ve got a similar makeup to us last year. Solid lineup with several strong players but not a murderer’s row. Very strong pitching, with Bertrand as their ace. Solid front of the bullpen. They seem to have good depth, so I like our chances best in one game if we can beat Bertrand.

Yes!!!! Thank you. After sitting in a parking garage listening to Craig Way while my dad does that paracentesis thing for game 1 of the regionals and super, this is a welcome change. Fuck yeah!!!!!! We’ll be up 3-0 by the time notre dame is done taking in the environment. This is where experience in Omaha pays off. Let’s go!!!!!