The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

I honestly think OU is the most dangerous team on our side of the bracket. Bennett and Horton at the top of the rotation have been money for them all postseason and they have Michael coming out of the pen who can go multiple innings and even start games. Graham might be the second best hitter in Omaha after Melendez.

I don’t think A&M’s style is going to translate well in this format. They rely heavily on one bullpen arm and have no dominant starters. Ideal scenario would be one where we meet them in the winners bracket after they have to use Palisch for 4-5 innings in game 1.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I honestly think OU is the most dangerous team on our side of the bracket. Bennett and Horton at the top of the rotation have been money for them all postseason and they have Michael coming out of the pen who can go multiple innings and even start games. Graham might be the second best hitter in Omaha after Melendez.

I don’t think A&M’s style is going to translate well in this format. They rely heavily on one bullpen arm and have no dominant starters. Ideal scenario would be one where we meet them in the winners bracket after they have to use Palisch for 4-5 innings in game 1.

They are. An Augie tree coaching staff was exactly what I was afraid of when skip took the ou job. Is what it is. But come on. They ain’t beating us in our own game. It’s cute they won the big 12 tournament but move over, Sooners. This our home 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Looking at ND they started Bertrand in game 3 of the regional and game 2 of the super. 

I'm not sure Texas will see him in game 1 and especially with a lineup that's built to hit lefties. 

Was just about to say that. Seems like they may throw Temple game 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Bertrand is good but he's also a lefty against a lineup that will have no left handed hitters assuming Pierce keeps Kennedy out of the lineup.

Any chance ND starts another pitcher? 

I think Pearce may just roll with Stehly at 2nd, Campbell in right and kennedy in left from here on out then use Daly as a defensive replacement in the 9th. 

Though Daly’s glove at 2nd is gonna be huge in Omaha. Tough call 

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

They are. An Augie tree coaching staff was exactly what I was afraid of when skip took the ou job. Is what it is. But come on. They ain’t beating us in our own game. It’s cute they won the big 12 tournament but move over, Sooners. This our home 

Skip had done nothing his first 4 years there. Hell, I thought he was on his way to getting fired halfway through this season. He’s had 2 or 3 freshman step up big time and they rode Bennett and Michael hard until Horton was fully built back up.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Skip had done nothing his first 4 years there. Hell, I thought he was on his way to getting fired halfway through this season. He’s had 2 or 3 freshman step up big time and they rode Bennett and Michael hard until Horton was fully built back up.

Same. When we came back and won that Sunday game, I figured they were on a downward spiral and skips days were numbered. Good for him but like why did it have to be ou? Ughhhh 

My Texas baseball Urban Meyer type pipe dream was Skip comin home as pitching coach under Pierce. Yeah I know. No chance. But let a man dream 

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Same. When we came back and won that Sunday game, I figured they were on a downward spiral and skips days were numbered. Good for him but like why did it have to be ou? Ughhhh 

My Texas baseball Urban Meyer type pipe dream was Skip comin home as pitching coach under Pierce. Yeah I know. No chance. But let a man dream 

FWIW I know a few pitchers who played under him towards the end of his time at Texas and they all agreed it was time for a different voice at pitching coach. His ways were getting stale with a lot of people. Very old school, didn’t really embrace analytics and guys were plateauing way too early in their career.

Maybe he’s changed his ways or just struck lightning in a bottle for this year, but I think it was just time for him and Texas to part ways.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FWIW I know a few pitchers who played under him towards the end of his time at Texas and they all agreed it was time for a different voice at pitching coach. His ways were getting stale with a lot of people. Very old school, didn’t really embrace analytics and guys were plateauing way too early in their career.

Maybe he’s changed his ways or just struck lightning in a bottle for this year, but I think it was just time for him and Texas to part ways.

I know the exact crowd you’re referring to and heard similar things. The whole program was stale at that point. DP is what we were hoping Herman would be. Solid all around coach that weeds out shitty players, makes chicken salad out of chicken shit the first couple years, then by years 4-6 be locked and loaded and ready to fuck shit up. 

We’ll see with skip. Next 2 years will be very telling

Well, here we are. 3 trips in the last 4 full seasons with a team that has experience, has faced more adversity than the rest of the field combined and are once again firing on all cylinders headed to Omaha. Why yes, I’ll take an 04 style ass whipping of our side of the bracket then substitute the OMAHOGS for 05 Florida and yeah…..image.jpeg.cbdedeb380986af7a2a7b187bdaa8273.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

counterpoint

ousucks GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

If we could get 2021 Tristan back it changes the whole complexion of the pitching staff. Those legendary 6 innings were great for him, but they were really good for our fan base, too.

I know we’ve all given up on Nixon at this point, which is unfortunate, but someone being an automatic shutdown closer would be the only other thing that would be bigger. 

I felt guilty I was so amazed at the stat we’re 41 (now 42) and 0 when leading after 7. I should have more confidence with a lead late in games than I thought. 

Southard, Lebarron and duplantier have shown signs of life back there. I’m thinking Olivarez and Southard are the dudes that step up. Man I haven’t felt this confident about our chances in Omaha since 09. Let’s avenge that team

• Hook 'Em 2

I went back and looked at Southard's stats and he's been very reliable recently. 

0 earned runs given up in the last 8 outings. Those numbers shocked me. I didn't see it with Southard so I give the coaching staff a lot of credit. I would have bailed on Southard months ago. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I went back and looked at Southard's stats and he's been very reliable recently. 

0 earned runs given up in the last 8 outings. Those numbers shocked me. I didn't see it with Southard so I give the coaching staff a ton of credit. I would have bailed on Southard months ago. 

You couldn’t tell by watching the games? He’s been mostly nails for a month now. All this bitching about pitching management(some of it warranted) but here we are with 5 reliable dudes headed to Omaha. All you need is 4-6 arms to win it all. Let’s fuckin go

• Hook 'Em 2

0 earned runs given up in the last 8 outings. Those numbers shocked me. I didn't see it with Southard so I give the coaching staff a ton of credit. I would have bailed on Southard months ago. 

Yep. 11 straight scoreless innings with only 6 walks, 20 strikeouts.

Unfortunate he probably won’t be back next year. Some MLB team will take a chance on that arm.

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

0 earned runs given up in the last 8 outings. Those numbers shocked me. I didn't see it with Southard so I give the coaching staff a lot of credit. I would have bailed on Southard months ago. 

Does that include inherited runners, if there were any?

Again, take out the non-strike call then wind aided A&M game and it’s an incredible season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Este. Live arm that is difficult to adjust to late in games. It's part of why I thought the announcers talking about throwing Pete in there for an inning last night were so fucking clueless. I'd legitimately rather have Jared try and close. 

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

You couldn’t tell by watching the games? He’s been mostly nails for a month now. All this bitching about pitching management(some of it warranted) but here we are with 5 reliable dudes headed to Omaha. All you need is 4-6 arms to win it all. Let’s fuckin go

He's been nails but he's still inconsistent with walks. 

I would have figured he had a couple rough outings in the mix. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

He's been nails but he's still inconsistent with walks. 

I would have figured he had a couple rough outings in the mix. 

Stevens has ice in his veins. He came back to dogpile a 7th time. He’s ready. Same with like 80% of the team that was there last year. We’re ready 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Especially if stevens closes out game 1 and 2 then starts game 3 and gives us an ecu outing. We’re mother fuckin golden then 

I don't think Texas would do this. 

If they're in the winners bracket they will save Stevens for game 4. Let him get an extra day of rest after doing work as a reliever. 

I don't think Texas would do this. 

If they're in the winners bracket they will save Stevens for game 4. Let him get an extra day of rest after doing work as a reliever. 

So morehouse or sthele if we’re sitting pretty at 2-0?

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

The fact that I have no idea how we're going to use Stevens or any arms besides Pete and Lucas seems like a decent data point for DP knowing what he's doing.

But if we don’t win it all, his fuckin ass needs to be fired 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1