The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

6C421FD9-1A4B-435B-B025-C189DA6DAA70.jpeg.cf25e95c133f006e41b48f10234c4616.jpeg

Taggart: I got it. I got it.
Hedley Lamarr: You do?
Taggart: We'll work up a "Number 38” on 'em.
Hedley: "Number 38? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one...
Taggart: Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into Omaha, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the Pigs of course.
Hedley: You spare the pigs?
Taggart: NAW. We beat the shit out of them at the Number 38 Finals later on.
Hedley: Marvelous.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

Oh Jesus save us the Surly branded hand-wringing. This team has been through a steaming pile of shit this season and fights like a motherfucker. I really like where we're at heading in. All but a few teams in the country probably lose that Super in Carolina. 
I like this squad just as much if not more than last year's and I'd expect similar results if not better. We know what we have. Time for someone else to step up and come beat us when it matters. 

That was intended for the pitching staff. Hansen could pitch you to 1 or 2 runs given up or it could be 3x times that. Stevens same. Bullpens could throw up zeroes or give you 3 in any given inning. Because that is what we’ve done for two months. If I had to guess, I’d go with Hansen refocusing and pitching very well.

And I’ve been way more steady on their abilities than 90% on here. Same for the team overall.

Overall, I fully expect us to compete and compete well. We’re there to win and not just show up.

I’m sticking with this being the best team of hitters we’ve ever had. Tons of power all over, but we hit for average too. When we’re disciplined and focused, we’re a great hitting team.

We have as good a chance of winning as anyone. Now go do it.

36 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Fucking Wichita State and 1989 gives us forever an odd number of losses.

Currently there are 3 ways to finish with an odd number of losses.

Lose 1 game advancing from your bracket and then lose the championship series
Lose 1 game advancing from your bracket and sweep the championship series
Sweep your bracket and win the championship series in game 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

68th in team BA
62 in team ERA
169th in fielding percentage

Their 3 main starters have ERAs of 4.75, 5.40 and 4.92.  They rely heavily on Palisch (2.60) and Johnston (3.34) in relief. 

normally i eye roll at fielding percentage, but that is because i usually watch pro baseball.  at the college level it can really mean something because you can have some real butchers out there. a chopper to third is often a tough play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Currently there are 3 ways to finish with an odd number of losses.

Lose 1 game advancing from your bracket and then lose the championship series
Lose 1 game advancing from your bracket and sweep the championship series
Sweep your bracket and win the championship series in game 3.

Yeah and we lost one in 1950 and 1975 while winning it. So the odd number comes from 1989. Still pisses me off. We lost one freaking game the whole NCAA post-season. Wichita State lost two and got to keep going. How is that fair?

And yes I know that it might not stay odd forever. It has just seems that way.

Edited by Valmy77

20 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

lol.  what the fuck is a rollins?

They beat Oklahoma State, Missouri, and Michigan State on the way to finishing #2 in the country in 1954.

Division II now but still a more glorious history than some schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Besides how are we celebrating it as overcoming difficulty? We are celebrating it as number 38. I am sure A&M can't imagine celebrating something that impressive.

If you put it in terms Aggie would understand such as having mounted 38 sheep, they might begin to comprehend.

41 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Besides how are we celebrating it as overcoming difficulty? We are celebrating it as number 38. I am sure A&M can't imagine celebrating something that impressive.

The list of winners of meat judging is long and distinguished.

National Champions
1958-L.D. Wythe and G.T. King
1966-G.C. Smith and Z.L. Carpenter
1970-H.Russell Cross
1971-Roger West and Brad Berry
1973-Gordon Davis
1979-Glen Dolezal
1980-Greg Gossett
1983-Davey Griffin
1987-Curt Terry
1988-Kirk Jones
1993-Andrew Martin
1998-Jennifer Wyle
2000-Dave McKenna
2001-Ryan Person
2004-Kristin Nicholson
2006-Eric Metteauer

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

The list of winners of meat judging is long and distinguished.

National Champions
1958-L.D. Wythe and G.T. King
1966-G.C. Smith and Z.L. Carpenter
1970-H.Russell Cross
1971-Roger West and Brad Berry
1973-Gordon Davis
1979-Glen Dolezal
1980-Greg Gossett
1983-Davey Griffin
1987-Curt Terry
1988-Kirk Jones
1993-Andrew Martin
1998-Jennifer Wyle
2000-Dave McKenna
2001-Ryan Person
2004-Kristin Nicholson
2006-Eric Metteauer

Now do Tech 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

How does the Omaha ball park match up for our HR hitters? 

Here is some film to analyze

But seriously it seems like a pretty balanced park. Not homer friendly like Rosenblatt was but no old Disch-Falk either.

• Hook 'Em 5

Does he? I thought he was enormous last year as well. I mean he is a year older and I am sure was working hard all offseason.

The main difference between last year's Ivan and this year's is the fact he no longer strikes out everytime somebody throws him breaking stuff outside.

• Hook 'Em 4

Speaking of which the home run record for a CWS is one of the more breakable records there. The current number is only 4, held by our own Russell Moldenhauer and about 30 other players.

Considering how balls have been flying out of parks this year, it is not unlikely somebody breaks it this year. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Speaking of which the home run record for a CWS is one of the more breakable records there. The current number is only 4, held by our own Russell Moldenhauer and about 30 other players.

Considering how balls have been flying out of parks this year, it is not unlikely somebody breaks it this year. 

Man that seems shockingly low, given the gorilla ball years of the 90s.

11 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’d say Hansen, Stevens and Nixon have all had significantly worse seasons. Quintanilla, Madden and Witt are not actively playing. Who else really pitched last year?

It’s a little odd Stehle keeps getting all these chances. He’s good or crappy. Stevens is kinda the same out of the pen.

The only times we gave up more runs in back to back games than this weekend were against Air Force and OSU. I think we’re pretty much what we’ve been. Pretty solid with some implosion.

I generally think more highly of the pitching staff than most. Pierce has done a very poor job in certain cases. He did make the right call on Stevens the other night. I’d be interested to know why he and Stehle even seem to have longer leashes than others. That’s a weakness and a strength of Pierce. Awfully loyal to some but not others.

No idea what to expect in Omaha.

Nixon there’s just no positives at all. With Stevens he’s at least giving this team a reliable arm as of late. I don’t know if I’d put Pete in the same category as the other two because while he hasn’t been super dominant like last year, he’s still considered an ace and a really good college pitcher. But yeah you could still technically say he regressed from last year. 1.46 ERA last year, my goodness Pete. 

26 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I assume there’s hope he can return to form next year? Such a promising freshman campaign completely derailed this year. 

No inside info here, but I wouldn't be shocked if Nixon transfers in search of a clean slate. That might help him find whatever he lost in 2022. (If it does, I hope he's on a team we don't face.) 

Nixon there’s just no positives at all. With Stevens he’s at least giving this team a reliable arm as of late. I don’t know if I’d put Pete in the same category as the other two because while he hasn’t been super dominant like last year, he’s still considered an ace and a really good college pitcher. But yeah you could still technically say he regressed from last year. 1.46 ERA last year, my goodness Pete. 

Pete’s for sure the best and has had the best year. He’s also giving up 1.5 more runs per 9 than last year. That is significant because he had such a great year last year.