The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

You can be realistic AND not be a participation ribbon guy at the same time.

I know it’s crazy, but it’s true.

Oh, and former #1 ranking means Jack squat.  No value. Nada.  Guy’s who are against participation ribbons should know that beauty pageants are bullshit too.

Preseason #1 means a little, cmon be realistic.  They had the talent in beginning to maintain top 5 status. 

Regardless, I am just sad to see this offense not show everyone up in Omaha.  They were awesome to watch most of the time, and statistically head/shoulders above past teams.  Might not see this again for awhile.  Stupid streaky baseball

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

Preseason #1 means a little, cmon be realistic.  They had the talent in beginning to maintain top 5 status. 

Regardless, I am just sad to see this offense not show everyone up in Omaha.  They were awesome to watch most of the time, and statistically head/shoulders above past teams.  Might not see this again for awhile.  Stupid streaky baseball

It’s a beauty pageant until the end of the season.  That IS the definition of realistic.

They had the talent in the beginning to maintain top 5 status. 

You made my point well.

Edited by Cajun

Well. after a couple of days to digest that debacle we put on against the aggy, I guess I'll exercise my demons by admitting we failed.  But, perhaps maybe, we are looking at this wrong.  This team did not under achieve.  This team overachieved.  Here's the way I see it.  Witt goes down for the season, relief and closing pitches woes, base running mistakes, the distraction with Hoffart and the flask, being handicapped at 3rd base coaching position.  Yeah, I know about the stats we were leading in or near the top.  Ivan was just brillant, BTW.  It was a bizarre season of what coulda, shoulda, and woulda been.  Bitter taste of losing, the excitement of the ECU series and making it to the CWS.  All of it, just leaves a taste in your gullet to come back and finish it right next year.  I haven't gave up on our next title yet.  Hook 'Em. 

2 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Well. after a couple of days to digest that debacle we put on against the aggy, I guess I'll exercise my demons by admitting we failed.  But, perhaps maybe, we are looking at this wrong.  This team did not under achieve.  This team overachieved.  Here's the way I see it.  Witt goes down for the season, relief and closing pitches woes, base running mistakes, the distraction with Hoffart and the flask, being handicapped at 3rd base coaching position.  Yeah, I know about the stats we were leading in or near the top.  Ivan was just brillant, BTW.  It was a bizarre season of what coulda, shoulda, and woulda been.  Bitter taste of losing, the excitement of the ECU series and making it to the CWS.  All of it, just leaves a taste in your gullet to come back and finish it right next year.  I haven't gave up on our next title yet.  Hook 'Em. 

Did the base running mistakes actually cost us any games? I know they drive fans nuts but in a season with suspect pitching and huge scores those kinds of small ball concerns seem really unimportant. And besides it isn't like the teams we were playing were clean on the base paths. But saying stuff like that is kind of weird. We didn't underachieve because we overcame the parts of the game we underachieve at?

It am comforted by the fact that Pierce and the administration know this season was a disappointment in some ways and are not hiding behind the fact that we made it to Omaha and had success despite the problems. The problems are still problems and you shouldn't wait until you actually start losing before you address them. 

The main surprising part in Omaha was just how badly we hit the ball, but that happens. Great teams can win some of those games you only score 3 or 2 runs. Good teams don't and we certainly were not a team capable of those kinds of wins, at least not often.

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

It would have been nice to get a few lucky breaks along the way also.  "Hope may the the best of things".  They can't take that away from us.  

Yeah I was optimistic things were going to start clicking our way right up until it was over. Many times this season it threatened to go right, but never quite did. It always seemed just out of our grasp.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes. Correct and level headed information. Very different from how you talk about the Texas team.

When it’s good, it’s good.  When it’s not …

Perhaps you’ll remind me of something good that happened in Omaha .. other than being eliminated before OU got another shot at us.

I dish it out and can take it. I work with 5 aggys. Granted all but one tread lightly as hell because I can fire them, but as much as I hate aggy, I took it on the chin the last two days. I am going to go hard in the paint when ousux beats their ass tomorrow though. Sometimes you have to reap what you sow.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I dish it out and can take it. I work with 5 aggys. Granted all but one tread lightly as hell because I can fire them, but as much as I hate aggy, I took it on the chin the last two days. I am going to go hard in the paint when ousux beats their ass tomorrow though. Sometimes you have to reap what you sow.

Took it hard? They’ve won 5 total cws games ever. We have more championships than they do wins. I wouldn’t take shit from those fucking mouth breathers. 

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Took it hard? They’ve won 5 total cws games ever. We have more championships than they do wins. I wouldn’t take shit from those fucking mouth breathers. 

To be fair I work with the upper 0.5% of aggy as far as intellect. They are a sensitive folk and I am very abusive to them. I had one ask me to stop being so mean when they lost last Friday. Maybe I am getting softer as I get older. 

Also, I never said I took it hard...read gooder.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

To be fair I work with the upper 0.5% of aggy as far as intellect. They are a sensitive folk and I am very abusive to them. I had one ask me to stop being so mean when they lost last Friday. Maybe I am getting softer as I get older. 

Also, I never said I took it hard...read gooder.

Took it on the chin. Whatever. Aggy can’t even reach our chins in cws bragging rights. What’s the upper 0.5%? Is that like the wal mart greeters?

9 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Yeah I’m not worried about our bats under Pierce. We’ve been a good hitting team every year he’s been here. Our problem has been consistent pitching.

During Augies epic run from 2002-2014, we averaged roughly a 2.60 era and it showed. 2 national titles with two 2nd place finishes with 3 other top 8 finishes. Under Pierce we’ve averaged about a 4.30 team era. The 2 years we’ve finished under 4.00 we’re 2017 and 2021. 2017 we didn’t have a catcher otherwise that’s an Omaha team. We had a 3.15 team era that year. 2021 was a pitch away from playing for it at. We had a team era of 2.93. Our identity as a program is elite pitching and defense. This hire is going to lead to some national titles. Can’t fucking wait to see who we snag 

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Is Hodo expected back? If so, what’s the o/u on how many LF/RF he takes out next year? 

I highly doubt it. Dude is really athletic, fast, has good range, gap to gap power and a really strong arm. His only knock is the regarded shit he pulls once every 3-4 games. Would fucking love to have him and Kennedy back though 

Just now, Fletch said:

I highly doubt it. Dude is really athletic, fast, has good range, gap to gap power and a really strong arm. His only knock is the regarded shit he pulls once every 3-4 games. Would fucking love to have him and Kennedy back though 

I have always been a big Hodo guy. It always baffled me how much hate he gets on this board. What regarded stuff has he done? Besides bunt a ball into his own face...

8 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

When it’s good, it’s good.  When it’s not …

Perhaps you’ll remind me of something good that happened in Omaha .. other than being eliminated before OU got another shot at us.

Stevens pitched pretty well. But yeah it was as bad a College World Series Texas has ever had. I would gladly take 2000, 2011, or 2018 over that one. But a shitty College World Series year sure beats a good non-College World Series year.

We did beat OU 2 out of 3 games in the regular season. Not sure why we were so terrified to play them that being eliminated first to save us from doom. That's the kind of stuff I am talking about. You are all pumping hope (rightfully and thoughtfully and I agree) about one baseball team that hasn't been above .500 in five years and won 30% of its games last year and then crapping on another that won 48 games in a college season, only four less than the Orioles won last year in 162. I mean come on, it's weird and makes no sense.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have always been a big Hodo guy. It always baffled me how much hate he gets on this board. What regarded stuff has he done? Besides bunt a ball into his own face...

Odd base running decisions (that’s a team thing but some of his have been noticeably bad for us) he wasn’t quite the best communicator out there, in 2021 he was frustrating as hell at the plate. He cut down on a lot of that this year though and tinkered with his swing some making him a much more productive hitter. I’ve been a fan too but like faltine, he could just be a tad bit boneheaded at times 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stevens pitched pretty well. But yeah it was as bad a College World Series Texas has ever had. I would gladly take 2000, 2011, or 2018 over that one. But a shitty College World Series year sure beats a good non-College World Series year.

We did beat OU 2 out of 3 games in the regular season. Not sure why we were so terrified to play them that being eliminated first to save us from doom. That's the kind of stuff I am talking about. You are all pumping hope about one baseball team that hasn't been above .500 in five years and won 30% of its games last year and then crapping on another that won 48 games in a college season, only four less than the Orioles won last year in 162. I mean come on, it's weird and makes no sense.

The biggest difference for this 0-2 over the 2000, 2011 or 2018 ones is I didn’t think those 3 teams had any shot at winning it all. Knew they were maxed out. Hoped they could win a game or 2 and surprise some folks but I just knew we didn’t have the bats and we couldn’t afford to put that much stress on our pitching staffs. This year I was hoping for at least a semi repeat of 2003 or 2021. We had the lineup to win it all. But our pitching spoke for itself. That’s finally about to change 

Also 2000 and 2018 were definitely wait until next year kind of deals where we had a lot of young guys and setting the foundation for a run. Of course that didn't work out in either case but we did eventually get back in 2002 and 2021. Those seasons were definitely the start of something.

2022 was the culmination of this group. Next season is going to be a very different team. Hopefully in a good way.

2011 we were headed off a cliff, but we didn't know it at the time. We just knew we couldn't hit anymore for some reason.

Edited by Valmy77

My 3 favorite position players going into this year were DC, Murph & Daly. Daly & the pitching staff were by far the biggest disappointments. No excuses but I hoped Daly would play at an AA level after last year and this past fall, his play was not good for anyone.

After the first 6 wks I was glad to be impressed by Silas as I did not think he could hit at the level he was, unfortunately he could not keep up that level of hitting & decided to not catch more pitches than expected. Trey was what I expected.

Skyler was my biggest surprise along with Murph consistently hitting for power.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Also 2000 and 2018 were definitely wait until next year kind of deals where we had a lot of young guys and setting the foundation for a run. Of course that didn't work out in either case but we did eventually get back in 2002 and 2021. Those seasons were definitely the start of something.

2022 was the culmination of this group. Next season is going to be a very different team. Hopefully in a good way.

2011 we were headed off a cliff, but we didn't know it at the time. We just knew we couldn't hit anymore for some reason.

Yeah the parallels between the first 5 seasons under Pierce have been much more successful than Augie’s first 5. Pierce had a tad bit more talent to work with but Kacy, Travis Jones, Boswell, Nick Kennedy, Kingham, Shugart and even Cantu had their best season under Pierce.
2018 essentially did catapult the program. We seriously probably win 10ish more games with Hamilton and DJ in 2019. That was the baseball equivalent of losing your quarterback and middle linebacker in fall camp. I think 2020 would’ve done some serious damage but yeah. 2021 we were a hitter or two away from winning it all. If faltine and silas put up the numbers at the plate they did this past season in 2021, we likely win it all. They both pretty much just struck out, walked or bunted all 2021 post season. We all know what happened this year. This pitching coach hire should be like when Mack brought in Gerg then Chizik. Took us from really good to elite for a 6 year stretch. If our pitching staff had a team era under 3.10, we’re most likely sitting at 2-0 getting ready to take on ou/aggy. 

Start routinely having a team era around 2.50 to go along with the consistent good to great lineups we’ve had since 2017 and we’re gonna dominate the sec and dog pile a few times under Pierce.