The Old Man/Jeff Bridges

Nicole44

Liked the first two episodes .. somewhat believable storyline with intrigue and action.  However …

… assuming everyone had somewhat comparable training, it’s difficult to believe a 70-something year old man could engage and survive in prolonged close combat with a 30-something year old young man.  Just based on strength and stamina, that fight should have been over before the dogs intervened.

But, after multiple years of unbelievable shit on Ozark, I can look past it.

GO GEEZER!

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Liked the first two episodes .. somewhat believable storyline with intrigue and action.  However …

… assuming everyone had somewhat comparable training, it’s difficult to believe a 70-something year old man could engage and survive in prolonged close combat with a 30-something year old young man.  Just based on strength and stamina, that fight should have been over before the dogs intervened.

But, after multiple years of unbelievable shit on Ozark, I can look past it.

GO GEEZER!

Buy the ticket, take the ride.  I'm not watching this for realism, but thought the same thing.  No way Bridges is fighting grappling moves and extended hand to hand with a younger guy. He either takes the younger guy out immediately with head butts or some other surprise move or gets choked out.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Buy the ticket, take the ride.  I'm not watching this for realism, but thought the same thing.  No way Bridges is fighting grappling moves and extended hand to hand with a younger guy. He either takes the younger guy out immediately with head butts or some other surprise move or gets choked out.  

Have to volunteer 3 times.  Best fight is the one the other guy never sees coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

Love it. Bridges seems to be channeling the spirit of Rooster Cogburn, and it's perfect.

My only issue is when he broke cover by going on a date with the landlord. He explains it away as not wanting to make her suspicious.  This of course leads to his discovery.

Love the dogs. Liked the detail of not whistling for them during his fight until he new the pistol was empty.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I am not convinced that the daughter is still alive at this point.

Chase’s daughter being deceased would be an interesting twist. He definitely talks much more than she does during their conversations. And he’s old so… you never know. 

It kind of reminded of Moon Knight when Steven keeps leaving messages on his dead mother’s answering machine. 

4 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I am not convinced that the daughter is still alive at this point.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Chase’s daughter being deceased would be an interesting twist. He definitely talks much more than she does during their conversations. And he’s old so… you never know. 

It kind of reminded of Moon Knight when Steven keeps leaving messages on his dead mother’s answering machine. 

While on the phone, I thought she was asking direct questions that he was answering, and then she asked him if he was okay when he went quiet.  I think whoever he was talking with was very much alive.  Could be that the daughter is dead, and whoever he's talking to on the phone is not his daughter. 

What made me think it was the FBI girl was that Lithgow called her "kiddo" and Bridges called his daughter "kid".  She also knows that Lithgow just lost his kid in a car accident, and Bridges mentioned that to Lithgow.  Maybe Bridges has an inside girl.  

Who knows?  Just speculation on my part.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I fucking loved the first two episodes. FX puts out so many great shows, even if Atlanta kinda stumbled this year. 

I don't think Alia Shawkat is his daughter. Their voices are different. I think they're obviously pushing the narrative that he might be crazy and having imaginary conversations with his dead daughter. FBI said his daughter killed herself back in 2003, which would have been way before he went crazy. He would have had nearly 20 years to reconcile that. I'm guessing the suicide was Dan Chase and family covering their tracks for this eventuality. No point in finding and leveraging someone that's already dead. Interested to see where they go with this. 

One other interesting note - there isn't an actress credited to an "Emily Chase" on imdb or anywhere else on the internet, although that could be intentional to further the narrative 

On 6/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, irishtexan said:

I fucking loved the first two episodes. FX puts out so many great shows, even if Atlanta kinda stumbled this year. 

I don't think Alia Shawkat is his daughter. Their voices are different. I think they're obviously pushing the narrative that he might be crazy and having imaginary conversations with his dead daughter. FBI said his daughter killed herself back in 2003, which would have been way before he went crazy. He would have had nearly 20 years to reconcile that. I'm guessing the suicide was Dan Chase and family covering their tracks for this eventuality. No point in finding and leveraging someone that's already dead. Interested to see where they go with this. 

One other interesting note - there isn't an actress credited to an "Emily Chase" on imdb or anywhere else on the internet, although that could be intentional to further the narrative 

This did not age well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

This did not age well.

No it did not.

On 6/21/2022 at 2:21 PM, DeepEastTexas said:

My speculation is that the girl working in the FBI for Lithgow is gonna turn out to be Bridges' daughter. Just my opinion based on two episodes. 

Enjoying it so far. Really good. 

But this sure did!

• Hook 'Em 3