The Old Man/Jeff Bridges

Nicole44

22 minutes ago, futureman said:

I still think it’s a reach.  she’s not just an employee, she’s intimately associated with his family.  she’s like a daughter to him and has been for a long time.  he trusts her completely, or he did.  for her to ask a few questions about the woman shouldn’t lead to “she’s dan chase’s daughter.”

Fair point.  I wasn't arguing that it was perfectly believable, just that they'd telegraphed it for the audience.

• Like 1

ITA on the Emily reveal and how and when Harper figured it out. Haven’t read Perry’s book so have no clue if it was done the same in the book or just dumbed down for us plebeians. I’m in awe that they were able to finish this and make it so cohesive given the filming challenges they encountered. I mean shit…lots of shows we are watching/streaming now were being filmed at the height and/or the start of Covid but then they also had to contend with Bridges cancer and his almost dying from Covid. He could only stand for like 45 seconds at a time (hence why we see him sitting for the bulk of the filming.) this show has literally be in the can for a while so I think despite the wonderful script and direction and the stellar,  the creators and actors (seen a couple of interviews with Lithgow) are all kinda shocked it’s getting the reception it has and that it got renewed. It’s a no brainer that people would watch and be fans of it but I think they were blown away by the audience response. Pretty cool shit.

Spoiler

so the Faraz guy believes Emily might be his daughter I guess? She is 30 and Harper was sent to find the passenger manifest (I’m thinking there was a third passenger—-Emily was already born when Chase and her mother got on the flight—the people wanted Harper to say there were three seats???)

I mean that’s all I got unless the revenge is about money…

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Hide contents

so the Faraz guy believes Emily might be his daughter I guess? She is 30 and Harper was sent to find the passenger manifest (I’m thinking there was a third passenger—-Emily was already born when Chase and her mother got on the flight—the people wanted Harper to say there were three seats???)

I mean that’s all I got unless the revenge is about money…

Spoiler

I like your thought process.  do we know how old emily is?  have they told us she is 30?  if they did I missed it.  I think harper said the flight was in 1987 so if she’s 30 she wouldn’t have been born, unless this is taking place several years ago.  or maybe she was pregnant?  I don’t know shit about fuck, to be honest.  but I am enjoying it.

also I think waters is related to hamzad, maybe.  he looks like he could pass for afghani and seems to be connected to hamzad in a peculiar way.  

Edited by futureman
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, futureman said:
  Hide contents

I like your thought process.  do we know how old emily is?  have they told us she is 30?  if they did I missed it.  I think harper said the flight was in 1987 so if she’s 30 she wouldn’t have been born, unless this is taking place several years ago.  or maybe she was pregnant?  I don’t know shit about fuck, to be honest.  but I am enjoying it.

also I think waters is related to hamzad, maybe.  he looks like he could pass for afghani and seems to be connected to hamzad in a peculiar way.  

My first thought was that Hamzad may believe Emily is his daughter, but that's low hanging fruit, so I'm guessing now that he wants to know where the mineral deposits are located, because he somehow got wind about their existence.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I think this is the first film/series I've seen in which a much older actor is being portrayed in his youth by another actor when I actually know very well what the old actor looked/sounded like because I watched him as a young actor.  Weird.

I'd never seen any of Brando's early stuff when I saw the Godfather movies, so DeNiro didn't feel weird to me as young Andolini.  But Bill Heck is doing a perfectly believable job of portraying a young Chase.

The actor playing young Lithgow is also spot on.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

The actor playing young Lithgow is also spot on.

Indeed, I was wondering if that was another son of his, given they used his son in Perry Mason to play his character's son.

But it's not, it's just a guy doing a good job.  Lithgow has such a distinctive voice and speech patterns.

• Hook 'Em 1

I still think it’s a reach.  she’s not just an employee, she’s intimately associated with his family.  she’s like a daughter to him and has been for a long time.  he trusts her completely, or he did.  for her to ask a few questions about the woman shouldn’t lead to “she’s dan chase’s daughter.”

I agree with this. Wasn’t that hamzad’s plane? Shouldnt Harper and Emily assumed the cabin would be bugged? They talked pretty openly during the flight.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2022 at 12:04 AM, Augustus said:

so I'm guessing now that he wants to know where the mineral deposits are located, because he somehow got wind about their existence.

I just assumed that's how he became an international magnate in the first place.

5 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I just assumed that's how he became an international magnate in the first place.

That would make sense, as well, though I'd just assumed he pulled it off by being the guy that wound up on top after the Soviet withdrawal.

They spend way too much time with her. She has the same face all the time. And why bring her.? The woman you just met from a rental?
f3cd7e8c9342caa48a79e824f0c29ca5.jpg

I think she has a different story than Chase knows. We don’t know if she really owned that rental or was placed there. The owner might be buried in the basement. I think we have more to learn with Zoe.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah…I’ve tried with Zoe and she gets on my damned nerves. She babbles too fucking much. Waxes too rhapsodic on fucking everything. This is why she is divorced. He told her to stay at the bar and not move. Damnit. Also, I agree there is something more to her. Maybe it’s her ex hubby? I don’t know. Maybe she’s related to Bote somehow? Something made him look her up? He came to her so…

9 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

I have yet to watch and have all the episodes on the DVR except #2.  Is that going to fuck me up?  I hope they do some marathon before the last one.  I guess that is today.  brb.

You really can't skip any...going into the finale. I've seen them all and I love all the twists and turns. Very well written/acted. I would at least watch the first two hours now if you have the time. It will pretty much determine whether you want to keep moving. I wouldn't skip any if you like the show though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

He could tell you, but then he’d have to kill you. 

Dogs haven’t fucked up anyone lately. My only complaint. 

I’m actually glad I haven’t read the book for this…clearly lots of differences (just from a cursory summary—-no spoilers) but I like seeing this with brand new fresh eyes

A9C4747B-7806-46DD-BF99-F32829919724.gif

42 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

You really can't skip any...going into the finale. I've seen them all and I love all the twists and turns. Very well written/acted. I would at least watch the first two hours now if you have the time. It will pretty much determine whether you want to keep moving. I wouldn't skip any if you like the show though. 

Well I guess i am going to have to let all those episodes sit on the dvr until they decide to run a repeat of episode 2.  fml

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Well I guess i am going to have to let all those episodes sit on the dvr until they decide to run a repeat of episode 2.  fml

I’d advise that…I think they’re also streaming? I’d wait to watch the finale. Every episode is just loaded with turns…keeps you thinking and guessing. 

cant wait for the finale tonight.   all this time i've thought the old man in the show title was jeff bridges character.  then, in the last episode, lithgow makes reference to the old man so now it's leading me to wonder if his story plays a bigger role next season.  either that or he bites the dust tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

cant wait for the finale tonight.   all this time i've thought the old man in the show title was jeff bridges character.  then, in the last episode, lithgow makes reference to the old man so now it's leading me to wonder if his story plays a bigger role next season.  either that or he bites the dust tonight.

I figure there will be at least one major death tonite for sure. I can't imagine a second season without Chase, Harper and Emily though. 

Spoiler

I think either one of the special ops assassins kill Bote. I'd really like to know who'd order that. Like who would be above Bote. Julian/James and Mike (I get their names screwed up but they were sent to kill Chase) both know this game very well and I find them both fascinating. Up until now, they've been extremely loyal. Who knows? I read an interview with Thomas Perry about The Old Man from a couple of years ago and he was asked about his favorite characters and he said Zoe and the young African American special ops contractor that was sent after Chase. 

Anyway...pretty cool interview with Thomas Perry on The Old Man (the book---not the series) from 2017 and it's worth a read. May include spoilers even though the TV series had not been developed yet...so beware if you'd rather not before the finale anyway even though the book has some key differences (from what I can see from a cursory summary.) I enjoyed reading about Perry and his thoughts on the book. 

https://www.thebigthrill.org/2017/01/thomas-perry-by-robert-rotstein/

Is there anyone who didn't see "Emily is really Hamzad's daughter" coming?

They never made any mention of when/where she was born nor do I recall any specific mention of her age, so I figured he'd kidnapped the daughter in addition absconding with his main squeeze.

Sucks that there were only 7 episodes.  That was a really fantastic first season, hate that it'll be so long before we get S2.

• Hook 'Em 1

They never made any mention of when/where she was born nor do I recall any specific mention of her age, so I figured he'd kidnapped the daughter in addition absconding with his main squeeze.
Sucks that there were only 7 episodes.  That was a really fantastic first season, hate that it'll be so long before we get S2.

It was a good twist. But I first thought about it in the second to last episode I believe.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

i didn't until an episode or two ago when they started trying to figure out the "two seats on the plane to escape" and we started wondering if there was a 3rd (what else could it be?).  at that point, we called it.  figured others would as well.  she's got lots of dads.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I could have sworn they showed hamzad’s wife with a child in first or second ep because my wife and I questioned it.

I thought we’d learn more on Zoe tonight and we didn’t.

I don't think Zoe is anything more than they've showed her to be.

• Hook 'Em 1