Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Yes.  Licensing isn't a drastic concept. 
https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/handgun-licensing
I'm adding the need component to it.  If someone isn't able to demonstrate a need to have a semi-automatic firearm, they might be able to demonstrate a need for a small caliber firearm with a low rate of fire and low ammunition capacity.

Think that “Need” brings up some due process concerns.

Personal defense is a need. It’s a need for 3 times divorced inner city single mothers just as it is rich suburban gated-community diesel drivin MAGA truck folks.

You know in TX all qualifications went away except .22lr as minimum caliber for the test, right? Revolver and Semi-autos treated the exact same under current TX license laws. And I don’t particularly want to be shot by a .22lr 5 shot revolver at 3 yards anymore or less than .50AE Desert Eagle with extended magazine. To Fattyflattie’s comments all firearms are deadly so the fact they we try and qualify good vs bad vs “weapon of war” on to acceptable and unacceptable lists at this point is pretty silly.

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Man, this thread is so on-brand for the Texags crowd. @markstanco pops in with the obligatory factually incorrect take (that is never retracted when it is immediately refuted), @dcar00 shows up to make sure he tells a brown person that his experience with racism in Texas is wrong, and @slorch gets to point out that guns aren't the problem, just the people (never minding the fact that we regulate ownership / use of dangerous objects all the fucking time). Just need @Cheeseweasel to make a 2 weeks joke and we can be all done.

which isn't what I said but you do you.  and BTW what the fuck are you doing away from your ibram x. kendi support group website?

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You understand there’s a fuckload of firearm regulations or no?  May not be as many as you would like, but it’s not an unregulated industry by any stretch of the imagination. 

Why are there no regulations governing access to guns by mentally disturbed people?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

I remember when we did things not because they were easy but because they were hard. Empty rhetoric apparently.

You realize the qualitative difference between sending a man to the moon and removing millions of assault rifles from people who will be using them to deny you that, right?

49 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Certainly a good example of what snowflakes white men are.

52 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep and so am I.   

Deal with it. 

Nice.  And the point y'all are trying to make is as simpleton as those you oppose.  It's fucking sad and pathetic that this keeps happening, but it's equally sad and pathetic how people froth at the fucking mouth to find the race of the perpetrator so they can get some thumbs up on a message board and retweets.  It's fucking embarrassing, and anyone courting those emotions should look at themselves in the mirror.  

I don't look at anyone, not a single motherfucker, that doesn't "look like me" and think "I better watch that cat" based on their race/religion.  It's sick that some of you pieces of shit, with all due respect, feel that it's ok to do so if it's a white person.  It's the SAME. FUCKING. THING.  You're doing exactly what you don't want to be done.  It's as fucked up as the white dude from bumfuck Georgia wanting to kill Blacks/Hispanics/Jews/Liberals/etc.  It's the same fucking thing.   And all it does, in both instances, is spawn hatred by the fringiest of any spectrum and some of the not as fringy but slightly fringy that may actually be wanting to do the right things.  All it does is make shit worse.  

We've got to be better.   

• Like 1

I think if we simply use the Stephen Miller/ Donald Trump "good immigrant color shade chart" it become a lot easier to define "white guy."  Fucking sad as shit this is sort of true... from the immigration side of the coin.  

Or should we just go with... not darker than Melania, as white?

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Why are there no regulations governing access to guns by mentally disturbed people?

Because our society is a bunch of softies that think encouraging kids to go to trade school rather than get $250k in debt for a college degree they may not use is bad for their psyche.  And a host of other reasons related to the way we act towards mental health.  

10 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Personal defense is a need. It’s a need for 3 times divorced inner city single mothers just as it is rich suburban gated-community diesel drivin MAGA truck folks.

Sounds like they might have a need for a small caliber, low rate of fire, low ammunition capacity firearm.  

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Need a “makes me sad +1” reaction option.

I often wonder what people are praying about every time they’re called to pray in the aftermath of a mass shooting? Are they asking for  courage to support laws that will better protect the innocent from being murdered in schools, churches, malls, grocery stores, entertainment venues and workplaces?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Hey, I didn't support the guy, but I do happen to be white and own guns.  Guess I'm in the potential mass murderer column just because.  

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Certainly a good example of what snowflakes white men are.

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Because our society is a bunch of softies that think encouraging kids to go to trade school rather than get $250k in debt for a college degree they may not use is bad for their psyche.  And a host of other reasons related to the way we act towards mental health.  

LO fucking L.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The right is getting better at comedy and its making the left nervous.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, lemonlime said:

You're the one who painted yourself as a victim because you, checks notes, are a white man in the U.S. who owns weapons.

Wasn't painting myself as a victim.  Was pointing out faulty and unnecessary judgement as a fool's errand.  One, so it seems, you are eager to task.  

You think Covid-19 put the brakes on the economy...imagine what would happen if the Government started restricting where stupid people could go, what they could buy, what they could do, and how they could live?  That'd pretty much drop the transmission out from under our country. 

Letting stupid people, and their stupid kids, and their fat wives feel "free" was kinda the backbone of our country and our economy.  I think we got a little too aggressive with it the last 5 years and kinda let them feel like they belonged in "decent society/politics."  But too late, that cat's outta the bag now.  

We're not gonna restrict the ability of stupid people to vote, buy guns, or have children.  Not because they'll "rise up", but because they're a huge chunk of the economy.  

Tomorrow morning, Surly could reboot as a purely online donation portal for freedom-loving Texans (of which, I am one) to give money to us to use to challenge legislators who wanna restrict the rights of stupid people.  And for legal fees and to take on corporate America and media companies who are marginalizing "regular, traditional Texas folks" and our constitutionally granted liberties.  Within 24 hours, the site would have raised $100,000.  easily.  Stupid people are goldfish, one revolution around the bowl and they've forgotten everything they knew and are now digesting the world and its lies for the very first time, over and over again.  

Our contemporary political divide didn't tap into racism, or nationalism, or extremism, or any other "ism."  We tapped into stupidity.  It was out there on full display for about the last 20 years or so online.  And about 5 years ago, we figured out a way to directly contact those people on their own grounds.  Everybody's complicit in it.  It's cheaper than traditional political outreach.  You can preach about gun rights, gun control, abortion rights, anti-abortion, immigrants taking jobs, responsible immigration reform, etc.  But the easier way, that can guarantee money and re-election is to simply tap into the tens and tens of millions of stupid people across this nation just waiting to give you their money, their vote, their freedom, and in some cases---their lives.  

The stupidity is out there just begging you to take its money.  Are you man enough to take it?  

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

The right is getting better at comedy and its making the left nervous.

And it seems many people are quite quick to be fully whelmed with racial judgement, be it based in fact or totally baseless histrionics.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

There have been numerous draft red flag laws.  All require real judicial due process.  Many of them make good sense.  I think that if they are particularly focused on making it hard for nutbars to go out and acquire a weapon (see both recent shootings -- both went out and bought the weapon right before the shooting), that would be big.  If the bar is higher for people who already own guns, I'd be fine with that as well, as that's a more intrusive step -- actually taking my firearms away from me as opposed to putting a block on my ability to purchase one.

National comparison registries.  All kinds of other stuff we can do along those lines.  

None of it.  Not one thing.  ZERO will happen.  Because that's the language of the "Second Amendment people" in this country.  Any laws that might impair in any way anyone's ability to instantly acquire whatever firearm they want must be opposed, 100%.

The problem isn't me, it isn't you.  It's that the folks who control the "pro gun" side of the debate will not accept any restrictions.  Any.  ZERO.  NONE.  That is the only acceptable path.  It's madness, and it's going to end up costing guys like you and me our right to own any firearms someday.

All the more reason for people who value people more than guns to stop being scared of speaking up. There are a lot more of us out here than you know.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You think Covid-19 put the brakes on the economy...imagine what would happen if the Government started restricting where stupid people could go, what they could buy, what they could do, and how they could live?  That'd pretty much drop the transmission out from under our country. 

Letting stupid people, and their stupid kids, and their fat wives feel "free" was kinda the backbone of our country and our economy.  I think we got a little too aggressive with it the last 5 years and kinda let them feel like they belonged in "decent society/politics."  But too late, that cat's outta the bag now.  

We're not gonna restrict the ability of stupid people to vote, buy guns, or have children.  Not because they'll "rise up", but because they're a huge chunk of the economy.  

Tomorrow morning, Surly could reboot as a purely online donation portal for freedom-loving Texans (of which, I am one) to give money to us to use to challenge legislators who wanna restrict the rights of stupid people.  And for legal fees and to take on corporate America and media companies who are marginalizing "regular, traditional Texas folks" and our constitutionally granted liberties.  Within 24 hours, the site would have raised $100,000.  easily.  Stupid people are goldfish, one revolution around the bowl and they've forgotten everything they knew and are now digesting the world and its lies for the very first time, over and over again.  

Our contemporary political divide didn't tap into racism, or nationalism, or extremism, or any other "ism."  We tapped into stupidity.  It was out there on full display for about the last 20 years or so online.  And about 5 years ago, we figured out a way to directly contact those people on their own grounds.  Everybody's complicit in it.  It's cheaper than traditional political outreach.  You can preach about gun rights, gun control, abortion rights, anti-abortion, immigrants taking jobs, responsible immigration reform, etc.  But the easier way, that can guarantee money and re-election is to simply tap into the tens and tens of millions of stupid people across this nation just waiting to give you their money, their vote, their freedom, and in some cases---their lives.  

The stupidity is out there just begging you to take its money.  Are you man enough to take it?  

We fully agree on something.  Well said  

Most mentally ill people are victims of crime. They typically do not commit it. ITA we need better help/education/money/resources for mental illness. Most definitely. 100%. But there is not a fucking thing any one of us can do to force someone to stay on their medication. Not a damn thing. If they aren’t in a facility. People act like well if we just had the education/ money and resources we could fix all of it. 

you cannot make a free person take their fucking meds. We should do all we can to limit their access to weapons. It’s a tragic and sad story but once someone commits a scenario like this, pardon me, but they have forfeited their right to live anywhere but an institution and be forced to take meds. Because they’d be in that 1% of fucked up violent folk. and they sadly don’t get to leave. I’m a bitch but tired of hearing that we can “fix” certain folk. Some people can’t be and there is no magic pill that can. And it’s tragic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Who says we aren't doing anything?

Raise better fucking kids.  but hey, the guilt complex in America says that's impossible, so let's look to the guvamint for solutions, right?

How do you raise kids that avoid mental health disorders?

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

#BothSides

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

How do you raise kids that avoid mental health disorders?

I already asked him for that.  He has yet to share that secret sauce with us.  I guess it's to tell schizophrenics to stop being crazy, and pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I already asked him for that.  He has yet to share that secret sauce with us.  I guess it's to tell schizophrenics to stop being crazy, and pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

What he wants to type is that mental illness isn’t real for 99.99% of people that claim it, and that if you really are mentally ill you just need to overcome it. 

also he’s a jarhead so any level of critical thinking he was born with was run out of him at parris long ago. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

#BothSides

Kind of.  To be brutally honest...One side corralled stupid people for decades for their own political gain.  But that's where they stayed, outside...in the corral.  Only called upon when needed for some heavy lifting (voter outreach, fundraising, exploitation, etc.).  The other side also did the same thing for their own political gain, though using a different playbook/identifier piece.  But they let the stupid people out of the corral and into the conference room.  You guys are worried about bad people getting guns.  That's fucking laughable to me.  That's the least of our fucking worries right now.  

34 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You realize the qualitative difference between sending a man to the moon and removing millions of assault rifles from people who will be using them to deny you that, right?

Yes.  It is qualitatively more difficult to do the former than the latter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Yes.  It is qualitatively more difficult to do the former than the latter.

You might want to rethink that.

One was accomplished in less than 15 years 52 years ago. The other has yet to be even be brought to legislation, yet alone legislated, yet alone implemented and accomplished.

Yet you're contending the second one is easier than the first.

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

One was accomplished in less than 15 years 52 years ago. The other has yet to be even be brought to legislation, yet alone legislated, yet alone implemented and accomplished.

You might want to rethink that. The scientific principles necessary for the space race to even begin were slowly worked out over centuries, not fifteen years. 

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm not getting the logical basis for your conclusion.  Just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean that accomplishing it is necessarily more difficult.  As a practical matter, enforcing legislation to eliminate AR-15's (which I presume could be done in a constitutionally-sound way) to me seems considerably easier than what was required to put a man on the moon.

If, on the other hand, you're just saying that because there isn't sufficient motivation in Congress to enact necessary legislation, well that's not an issue of difficulty; it's an issue of will.  Had NASA and the USA not had the will to win the space race to the moon, I imagine we'd still be talking about the Russians' scientific and engineering feats.

3 minutes ago, LTbear said:

You might want to rethink that. The scientific principles necessary for the space race to even begin were slowly worked out over centuries, not fifteen years. 

Gimme the Wright Brothers, a half-century, 3 Jewish Mathematicians, and 7 Nazi Physicists and I'll get you to the moon and back in a ship with no windows.  

Edited by Lobo

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Kind of.  To be brutally honest...One side corralled stupid people for decades for their own political gain.  But that's where they stayed, outside...in the corral.  Only called upon when needed for some heavy lifting (voter outreach, fundraising, exploitation, etc.).  The other side also did the same thing for their own political gain, though using a different playbook/identifier piece.  But they let the stupid people out of the corral and into the conference room.  You guys are worried about bad people getting guns.  That's fucking laughable to me.  That's the least of our fucking worries right now.  

It's still a huge worry. We have a gun problem in America. It's ridiculous. Tens of thousands of people die needlessly violent deaths every year because guns are readily available and sanctioned by the state. 

Not to diminish the deaths, but aren't we still hovering around 40,000 gun-related deaths in the United States each year (on average)?...with over half of them coming via suicide?  Obviously, there's the discussion of "if they didn't have a gun, would they have made the rushed decision to kill themselves?"  That's valid, suicidal people in rural areas often have way more access to firearms than they do tall buildings from which to leap. 

But I think homicide-via-gun only accounts for 15,000, 20,000 deaths tops in the U.S. each year.  You take out gang violence in half a dozen cities around the and your chances of death via gunshot victim fall below Lupus.  

Which is why the 2020 Covid-19 suicide numbers are really gonna make gun rights activists heads explode.  

5 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

Since I've moved to Denver, I've been curious as to why, if anything, creates such extreme violence here.  I have no answers.  My heart goes out to the concentric circles of impact starting with the family and loved ones of the murdered souls.  This stuff is gross sadness and all over the news here. 

a Texas centric board probably doesn't have the answers for you.

The last 4 years in Texas...

2017 Plano - 9 dead

2017 Sutherland Springs Church - 27 dead

2018 Santa Fe High School - 10 dead

2019 El Paso Walmart - 23 dead

2019 Midland-Odessa - 7 dead

Edited by yoladu
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

As a practical matter, enforcing legislation to eliminate AR-15's (which I presume could be done in a constitutionally-sound way)

Your presumption (apparently shared by a lot of peeps on this thread) is wrong.  This is why the old "assault weapons" ban was so panned.  It banned mostly cosmetic accessories.  An AR-15 is a semi auto rifle.  Functionally the same as 99% of every other rifle made that isn't a single shot bolt action.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not to diminish the deaths, but aren't we still hovering around 40,000 gun-related deaths in the United States each year (on average)?...with over half of them coming via suicide?  Obviously, there's the discussion of "if they didn't have a gun, would they have made the rushed decision to kill themselves?"  That's valid, suicidal people in rural areas often have way more access to firearms than they do tall buildings from which to leap. 

But I think homicide-via-gun only accounts for 15,000, 20,000 deaths tops in the U.S. each year.  You take out gang violence in half a dozen cities around the and your chances of death via gunshot victim fall below Lupus.  

Which is why the 2020 Covid-19 suicide numbers are really gonna make gun rights activists heads explode.  

538 did an in depth study on gun deaths. It’s worth a read

14 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Your presumption (apparently shared by a lot of peeps on this thread) is wrong.  This is why the old "assault weapons" ban was so panned.  It banned mostly cosmetic accessories.  An AR-15 is a semi auto rifle.  Functionally the same as 99% of every other rifle made that isn't a single shot bolt action.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  First off, from a constitutional jurisprudence standpoint (and not to stray from the general direction of this thread), the last 30 years or so (maybe longer?) of second amendment cases reflect a sharp divergence from 200 years of interpretation of whether the second amendment is a private versus public right and if so the extent to which it protects any right to bear arms.  Given the current makeup of the SC, I don't see that changing any time soon.  That said, I still think there would be ways to implement legislation to limit what constitutes a reasonable limit on the type of weapons that may be owned legally by individual citizens/residents/etc.  I'm not going to go down a rabbit hole to figure out what that would look like, but if we can figure out how to put a man on the moon, I would have to think we could figure out a way to draft legislation that can address the issue appropriately.

15 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Yep.  I thought the original "assault weapons" ban was shitty, and that was a big reason.  In terms of gun control laws (setting aside red flag laws, which sure appear like they might have been helpful in Boulder, and even waiting periods, which also might have helped, especially in conjunction with red flag laws), I think that banning of high capacity mags is the most likely to offer some help.  Every pause to change mags, especially by inexperienced shooters like this psycho, offers a chance to stop the shooter.  Limiting him to 10 rounds instead of 30 or even 20 can make a difference.

There's a shitload of daylight between "ban everything that goes bang" and "continue to do nothing."  But ONE of those extreme positions has absolutely, 100% won the day.  And it ain't "ban everything that goes bang."  We have two extreme positions, and it's not like we're even arguing about whether to move off of one of them.  Nope.  The one that has won ain't budging now, and never will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Nice.  And the point y'all are trying to make is as simpleton as those you oppose.  It's fucking sad and pathetic that this keeps happening, but it's equally sad and pathetic how people froth at the fucking mouth to find the race of the perpetrator so they can get some thumbs up on a message board and retweets.  It's fucking embarrassing, and anyone courting those emotions should look at themselves in the mirror.  

I don't look at anyone, not a single motherfucker, that doesn't "look like me" and think "I better watch that cat" based on their race/religion.  It's sick that some of you pieces of shit, with all due respect, feel that it's ok to do so if it's a white person.  It's the SAME. FUCKING. THING.  You're doing exactly what you don't want to be done.  It's as fucked up as the white dude from bumfuck Georgia wanting to kill Blacks/Hispanics/Jews/Liberals/etc.  It's the same fucking thing.   And all it does, in both instances, is spawn hatred by the fringiest of any spectrum and some of the not as fringy but slightly fringy that may actually be wanting to do the right things.  All it does is make shit worse.  

We've got to be better.   

No, it's not.

18 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

No, it's not.

If you’re responding specifically to the bolded part, then your traipsing through version of reading makes you part of the problem.   Anyone hoping it’s someone of a particular race or creed for their own political/moral outrage advantage is sick, and equally guilty.  

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread