Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

The Second Amendment, ratified in 1791, was proposed by James Madison to allow the creation of civilian forces that can counteract a tyrannical federal government. Anti-Federalists believed that a centralized standing military, established by the Constitutional Convention, gave the federal government too much power and potential for violent oppression.

Gun apoligists need to read the 2nd amendment.  Our founding fathers didnt intend for assault rifles to be used on children.  Sensible reforms are needed.  Mental health is a pandemic and gun rights need to be brought to current day realities.  We need to ban assault rifles, mandatory background checks, licensed to carry and cut out added that any health professional can call for a hearing to revoke said privaleges to carry.

That's my biggest beef with the second amendment. If it's purpose is to respond to a tyrannical government anything that would be used to respond to said to tyrannical government would be completely destroyed. Jesus I know Russia's army is a steaming pile of shit but we're barely arming Ukraine with old ass shit and they are handing it to them.

If that's what they want then make it wide fucking open. I want to buy some fucking javelins I want to buy some fucking howitzers..

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
One of the major flaws in arming teachers or even armed guards, is that even our cops haven't been properly trained or they just unable to extract a gunman from a small town elementary school. It's hard to think that teachers will be better trained.
I could understand cops not initially storming a classroom if a gunman is in there. After all, maybe just maybe it's a hostage situation and barging in could lead to deaths. However I recall an earlier school shooting that law enforcement did charge in when they heard the first shots.
As tough as it may sound, Uvalde PD seems to have sacrificed one classroom to extract the other students and/or wait for the BP tactical team. I hope I'm wrong but I bet the initial responders are not going to come out of this in a good light.

They don't trust my training to teach about slavery, but they'll trust me with a gun?

To be fair, their problem is they do trust you to teach about slavery.

Just now, Covri said:

Not sure if it’s already been suggested, but what if we simply developed some kind of shrink ray like in Honey I Shrunk the Kids and then simply shrink the students and place them inside a woman’s womb for 8 hours a day so they can be protected at school? Seems  easier at this point than making guns harder to acquire in Texas.

GET RICK MORANIS ON THE LINE, STAT!!

Regarding Beto, he was 100% right to do what he did, but unfortunately I think it will galvanize more 2A nuts against him than it will galvanize people to vote for him (or against Abbott). That’s completely fucked up and sad, but I feel that will be the outcome. I’m still glad he did it. I’d rather go down swinging than trying to be nice. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

If that's what they want then make it wide fucking open. I want to buy some fucking javelins I want to buy some fucking howitzers..

Under the GQP reading of the 2nd amendment, there is no argument against your desire.  "Arms" does not mean firearms and firearms alone.  It may have been the most LIKELY weapon to own at the time, but artillery pieces existed, and could have been owned by a private party.  If you read the 2nd amendment as an absolute right by all individuals to "keep and bear arms," which right "shall not be infringed" (oh, they do love to trot that clause out), then we absolutely, positively, 100% MUST allow for private ownership of precision artillery, lethal drones, and the like.  ALL OF IT.  In fact, all military weaponry that existed at the time of the 2nd amendment -- which was functionally blades, firearms, and artillery -- could be owned by a private person at the time.  So, all military weaponry that exists today should likewise be allowable for a private person.

Their logic leads only to that place.  It's not a "slippery slope" -- it's the same ground.  But they know THAT sounds stupid and insane.....yet they think having an absolute and unfettered right and ability of a deranged teenager to buy military-grade hardware with high-cap mags capable of slinging dozens of rounds downrange in seconds, well, THAT'S, ummm.....different somehow.

Fuck it.  Give me a javelin, or your claimed support for the 2nd amendment is a lie, and you are just picking and choosing how you will let me exercise MY rights based on YOUR arbitrary bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Regarding Beto, he was 100% right to do what he did, but unfortunately I think it will galvanize more 2A nuts against him than it will galvanize people to vote for him (or against Abbott). That’s completely fucked up and sad, but I feel that will be the outcome. I’m still glad he did it. I’d rather go down swinging than trying to be nice. 

Good.  Galvanize them.  2nd amendment nuts opposing any and all additional measures (and/or opposing funding any of their "harden schools!"  "More mental health care!" lies they pitch in an effort to save their 5.56 god) are enemies of humanity.  Let them draw that line in sharp, sharp relief.  Let's make it clear.  You either stand with human beings, or you stand with your gun fetish at the cost of as many human beings as it takes to indulge your fucking idolatry.  I don't want anything to do with them.   I want them to hate me as much as I hate them, so there won't be any fucking ambiguity or lies about how we should all just calm down, and discuss this later.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Quoting myself to clarify, it’s completely fucked on #bothsides that this is the outcome. 2A people can get fucked, but wtf with the people who still can’t even be bothered to vote?  

53 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

The police simply can't be relied on for this function.  Even the tactical unit they brought in from the border patrol couldn't get through an interior door that was blocked by a cinderblock.  A massive failure by every agency involved.

Torbush. Hadn't heard that.

That's why we need to arm the teachers! 

20 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

If you haven’t “lost it” at this point, you never had “it”.

“It” being your humanity.

Millions of guns matter more than the life of a human being people have allowed our country to go completely off the rails. I have contemplated living abroad for reasons completely unrelated to this, but seeing how cold and uncaring that millions upon millions of people in this country are really reinforces to me that going elsewhere to live would be the best choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Starfleet Command said:

The police simply can't be relied on for this function.  Even the tactical unit they brought in from the border patrol couldn't get through an interior door that was blocked by a cinderblock.  A massive failure by every agency involved.

Now imagine how hard it would be to get into a hardened school once a bad actor got inside.

We're talking potentially hundreds of children murdered.

42 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You read this thread and you see the faces of these 19 children, and your only conclusion is that Brisket has lost "it"?

Here's my question: in light of recent events, how can any sane person possibly retain "it"?

Aren't we at a place now where the only sane people are the insane?

caring that you are flying to your death proves that you are sane and, therefore, cannot be excused from flying to your death. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yet the first thing Ted Cruz did was fly from DC to Uvalde to be on stage with everyone else despite being neither law enforcement or a state official.

It’s important to Ted to stand with his fellow Texans during times of crisis 

image.thumb.jpeg.7b19aa3af15c566ff30b6b9afbf34f6a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yet the first thing Ted Cruz did was fly from DC to Uvalde to be on stage with everyone else despite being neither law enforcement or a state official.

i'm old enough to remember when ted cruz fled to cancun because, as someone who isn't a state official, he couldn't do anything.

Edited by elfenix
dammit unclesonny
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Covri said:

I like how republicans accuse Beto of political theatre/grandstanding as they sit up on stage 15 deep to show they care about the children.

BBE23B87-CC91-494E-8083-A7C641D6B213.thumb.png.f52ec4389465a4398796bdc176e761ec.png

To be fair, in Abbot’s case it’s political grandsitting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck yes I have.

And if you haven't, there's something wrong with you.

Opponents of changing even a single fucking thing are not reasonable, and never have been.  I'm fucking sick and tired of the rest of us playing by rules that they openly shit on as they stack up more broken bloody bodies on the altar of their One True God (in 5.56 caliber).

Of course most everyone is beside themselves on this.  But "MAGA pain"......come on.

Republicans are despicable on this issue but so are almost all politicians.  Security in schools should be started yesterday.  TSA was created quickly with how many billions for a budget?  This country can mobilize if it fucking feels like it.  We choose to sit on our ass, so I get your anger but it should be directed at everyone IMO.

Security......what does that look like?  Arming teachers.....fuck no.  Are we covering public and private schools with this funding?  I say yes, these are our children damnit.  Trained, armed security I'm good with.  It doesn't have to be GI Joe at every door, hell you wouldn't even need to know the guy asking questions and buzzing people through locked doors was carrying.  Give the schools the protections they need.....capable doors, cameras, trained personnel vetting entry.  

I'm for gun restrictions, have we seen something that makes complete sense there?  Probably not.  18 year olds shouldn't be able buy ARs, they can't buy beer for good reasons.  Lots of freedoms have restrictions, the second amendment can have some.  Why can't we have certain rights with certain levels?  I can't buy a nuclear bomb, some things are obvious but here we sit.  Abbott spouting off the typical rhetoric is useless, I don't give a shit that "it's been the law for 60 years" in regards to being able to purchase at 18.  Things change and they should.  Protecting our children in school is the key part of this for me but obviously that doesn't solve all of the mass shootings.  

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

Security......what does that look like?  Arming teachers.....fuck no.  Are we covering public and private schools with this funding?  I say yes, these are our children damnit.  Trained, armed security I'm good with.  It doesn't have to be GI Joe at every door, hell you wouldn't even need to know the guy asking questions and buzzing people through locked doors was carrying.  Give the schools the protections they need.....capable doors, cameras, trained personnel vetting entry.  

I'm for gun restrictions, have we seen something that makes complete sense there?  Probably not.  18 year olds shouldn't be able buy ARs, they can't buy beer for good reasons.  Lots of freedoms have restrictions, the second amendment can have some.  Why can't we have certain rights with certain levels?  I can't buy a nuclear bomb, some things are obvious but here we sit.  Abbott spouting off the typical rhetoric is useless, I don't give a shit that "it's been the law for 60 years" in regards to being able to purchase at 18.  Things change and they should.  Protecting our children in school is the key part of this for me but obviously that doesn't solve all of the mass shootings.  

They won't fund any of the security you want.  Because these same people want to abolish public schools (among other reasons).

They will never, ever agree to ANY of the firearm restrictions you suggested.  Not a single.  Fucking.  One.

The entire party and side of the political aisle is in thrall to and worship of their Moloch: The God of Guns.  To which children must be sacrificed (and hey, if it also means we sacrifice some beaners in El Paso and black folks in Buffalo, well, maybe they'll take the hint and GTFO and leave America to the REAL Americans).

Stop.  Just stop.  They cannot be reasoned with.  They cannot be convinced.  They cannot be moved.  They are a fanatical death cult, but it's YOUR death they're looking for.  Stop negotiating with terrorists.  You know goddamn well that they only speak the language of pain (the cruelty is the point -- it always is).  It's disgusting and horrific.....but undeniably true.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I was surprised to learn today that included in the active shooter drills in elementary schools is a ploy that requires designated young people to throw stuff at the shooter to distract him enough so that the other kids may run to the safe room. 

What kind of shit is this?

The final logical conclusion, after making schools prisons and arming the teachers, will be to arm the students.  Not only will they be able to defend themselves against mass murderers with guns, they’ll become gun aficionados themselves who will grow up to  want to preserve a strict fundamentalist interpretation of the 2nd amendment.  Added bonus: they’ll support the NRA through their lifetime and help make it rain for the GQP!

That’s how you strategy, folks.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I was surprised to learn today that included in the active shooter drills in elementary schools is a ploy that requires designated young people to throw stuff at the shooter to distract him enough so that the other kids may run to the safe room. 

I have taught in a middle school for 15 years, my wife has taught elementary for 17 years. Nothing like that has ever been part of our drills. Not sure where you got that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Under the GQP reading of the 2nd amendment, there is no argument against your desire.  "Arms" does not mean firearms and firearms alone.  It may have been the most LIKELY weapon to own at the time, but artillery pieces existed, and could have been owned by a private party.  If you read the 2nd amendment as an absolute right by all individuals to "keep and bear arms," which right "shall not be infringed" (oh, they do love to trot that clause out), then we absolutely, positively, 100% MUST allow for private ownership of precision artillery, lethal drones, and the like.  ALL OF IT.  In fact, all military weaponry that existed at the time of the 2nd amendment -- which was functionally blades, firearms, and artillery -- could be owned by a private person at the time.  So, all military weaponry that exists today should likewise be allowable for a private person.

Their logic leads only to that place.  It's not a "slippery slope" -- it's the same ground.  But they know THAT sounds stupid and insane.....yet they think having an absolute and unfettered right and ability of a deranged teenager to buy military-grade hardware with high-cap mags capable of slinging dozens of rounds downrange in seconds, well, THAT'S, ummm.....different somehow.

Fuck it.  Give me a javelin, or your claimed support for the 2nd amendment is a lie, and you are just picking and choosing how you will let me exercise MY rights based on YOUR arbitrary bullshit.

Hold on maybe I should upgrade now I want a fucking nuke.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not a "gun nut" by any means, but a lifelong shooter and gun owner.  And I'm in favor of most every restriction/regulation proposed around here recently: I have no problem registering my weapons, getting a license, being required to carry insurance, all that shit.  Because I damned well know that if we aren't willing to be responsible with something -- guns, cars, what have you -- we will lose it, and we will deserve to lose it.

What’s your thoughts on purchasing a semiautomatic, actual weapon of war, as a gift for a high school senior, who’s father has spoken vaguely several times to him facing depression issues over the last few years?  Let’s pretend it a shoots a larger and powerful bullet than the 5.56, but for this exercise it shouldn’t matter.   Is 18 still fine for this kid, who’s been hunting with his father his entire life?  

What’s your thoughts on purchasing a semiautomatic, actual weapon of war, as a gift for a high school senior, who’s father has spoken vaguely several times to him facing depression issues over the last few years?  Let’s pretend it a shoots a larger and powerful bullet than the 5.56, but for this exercise it shouldn’t matter.   Is 18 still fine for this kid, who’s been hunting with his father his entire life?  

Nope. Dads gun till the kid is 21. Then, back ground check, etc on the kid and a legal transfer. If not done this way and 21 year old goes nuts, that’s still dads gun and dad is also responsible.

Gun ownership should be HARD.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Just trying to connect the dots on how this:

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Beto's outburst was nothing more than political grandstanding at probably the wrong place and the wrong time.

That said.... I think we are past anything being the wrong place or wrong time for gun control. Hot wheels up there pretending he gives a shit is an insult to anyone and everyone. Whatever needs to happen for serious gun control dialog and action to happen, Abbott has done the exact opposite. He can't have it both ways. Not here, not now.

Led you to decide I was complicit in the death of 21 people and any future murders:  

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

uh, no, it's not. one preceded the other. one is pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the other. to defend the actions of those on stage over the one man standing up to them makes you complicit in these and any future murders. own it.

and as to "kissing your whole ass"... I'll decline, thanks.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread