Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

So close. R-Politicians value money more than people. They value the people who give them money. Everyone else is worthless to them.

Agree.  The protect-guns-at-all-cost attitude (and abortion bans) are the primary issues that keep poor, stupid, redneck "Christians" voting against their own financial well-being.

Let's not underplay the police promising to arrest journalists should they report from the grounds of the killing field in Uvalde. This feels like a further probe into dismantling the foundations of the republic. 
Police arresting journalists for reporting. 

The second amendment is more equal than the first amendment.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Paul (née Saul) and Constantine were both Roman soldiers so it’s sort of totally on brand, isn’t it?

Off-topic: Paul/Saul said he was a Roman citizen and was recognized as such. There’s no textual evidence that he got it through military service and I am unaware of any church tradition that holds he did.  Service in the auxilia was twenty-five years for discharge and citizenship, which would have left him little time to also study Jewish law in Jerusalem and have made him an old missionary.  His dad or grandfather is a more likely service candidate, or perhaps one of them did a special service for a Roman proconsul. 

On-topic: My cousin’s husband was on duty at a different wing in Tulsa and is now responding to that shooting. Just another day in America.  Yo dawg, I heard you liked treating gunshot wounds so I put some gunshot wounds in your hospital. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Off-topic: Paul/Saul said he was a Roman citizen and was recognized as such. There’s no textual evidence that he got it through military service and I am unaware of any church tradition that holds he did.  Service in the auxilia was twenty-five years for discharge and citizenship, which would have left him little time to also study Jewish law in Jerusalem and have made him an old missionary.  His dad or grandfather is a more likely service candidate, or perhaps one of them did a special service for a Roman proconsul. 

On-topic: My cousin’s husband was on duty at a different wing in Tulsa and is now responding to that shooting. Just another day in America.  Yo dawg, I heard you liked treating gunshot wounds so I put some gunshot wounds in your hospital. 

Citizen, soldier, whatever. He never met Jesus. 

How is this possible with all of the money and tech being thrown their way?  

Not for nothing, clearance rates have dropped to all-time lows at the same time that police budgets have swollen to all-time highs, suggesting that more funding has actually resulted in police being less effective. “It is a great public mismatch in understanding, training, and expectations,” Baughman told me. “Increases in police officers or police budgets have not been shown to reduce crime or make us safer.”

To make matters worse, clearance rates can be easily manipulated and are not synonymous with actually solving crimes, just with making arrests. That means that those rock-bottom numbers are actually skewing reality in favor of cops, who are arresting the rightful perpetrator of a crime at rates even lower than those at which they’re clearing cases. “All they tell us is whether there has been an arrest made in a case,” Baughman said, “not whether that person is actually the one that committed the crime or is eventually convicted of the crime … That’s why I think convictions are a better measure of whether the crime was actually cleared.”

Conviction rates, which still account for wrongful convictions, are much lower than clearance rates.

lol if you were to poll people how many do you think would get the below correct?  0?

Since the 2020 Black Lives Matter demonstrations called for police budgets to be defunded, not a single major American city has slashed its police funding. In fact, almost all of them have ballooned spending on police forces. Repeatedly, President Biden has encouraged increased spending on police, recently calling on municipalities to direct their unspent COVID aid toward adding even more cops. The Biden administration requested $388 million in grant funding for police hiring in its 2022 budget proposal, more than double the top figure requested by the Trump administration. New York City even elected a former cop as its mayor, who just a few days ago announced a new PR campaign in support of cops and against the “defund the police” movement.

https://prospect.org/justice/why-are-police-so-bad-at-their-jobs/

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

This is private property!

Oh, wait. It's really not, is it? 

Every journalist in Texas, as well as every citizen in Uvalde, should line up on that public property and wait to be arrested for "trespassing".

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

How is this possible with all of the money and tech being thrown their way?  

lol if you were to poll people how many do you think would get the below correct?  0?

https://prospect.org/justice/why-are-police-so-bad-at-their-jobs/

I'm very unlikely to call the police for anything minor days in terms of property crime. I suppose if my car was stolen and insurance would only reimburse me if I had a police report, I would report the car theft to the police. But if my lawn mower was stolen out of my garage, I would see filing a police report as a waste of my time, and require me to interact with the police which I avoid.  

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm very unlikely to call the police for anything minor days in terms of property crime. I suppose if my car was stolen and insurance would only reimburse me if I had a police report, I would report the car theft to the police. But if my lawn mower was stolen out of my garage, I would see filing a police report as a waste of my time, and require me to interact with the police which I avoid.  

I have two dogs at home.  No fucking way I'm calling those K-9 killing cowards for anything. 

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Every journalist in Texas, as well as every citizen in Uvalde, should line up on that public property and wait to be arrested for "trespassing".

I'm sure the brave men and women of the Uvalde PD would defend it like the Alamo to their last man. 

Moses Rose could tearfully read the eulogies of these brave souls.

10 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Let's not underplay the police promising to arrest journalists should they report from the grounds of the killing field in Uvalde. This feels like a further probe into dismantling the foundations of the republic. 

Police are the the biggest gaping fucking crybaby snowflake pussies in this entire country.

It's every insecure dipshit bully asshole you knew from high school, but now with a badge and gun.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 9:05 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

CNN sticking to the coverage template. I'll be just as tiresome as they are and point out that extensive focus on the acquisition and type of firearm really is only part of the story. There's a reason the GOPs deflect to mental health and culture (Yikes! Video games!); they are actually part of the equation. They're also difficult to pin down because they live in that grey human behavior area where simple, digestible facts don't thrive.

I'll give journalists some grudging credit for finally fleshing out why military weapons are so devastating beyond their rate of fire. After years of "they're designed to kill people," now, at last, they're getting to muzzle velocity and kinetic force shredding the human body. These are fairly simple ascertainable facts that most TV jounalists have been too lazy to explore. It would cut into their panel bloviation time.

What in our mythology and world view makes Americans prone to think so much in terms of killing people to resolve conflict? I can imagine Wolf Blitzer twitching as I put the question mark to the previous sentence. Ub ub ub...Jill what do you think about the likelihood that we'll see gun control legislation? Ahhh, so nice to be back in the comfort zone!

Eliminating military weapons in the hands of civilians will make the mass shootings less deadly. I'm for that, but I don't see it stopping mass shootings. It just seems like this issue and the way we look at it is another symptom of the American death spiral.

I'm getting really surly about this. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

CNN sticking to the coverage template. I'll be just as tiresome as they are and point out that extensive focus on the acquisition and type of firearm really is only part of the story. There's a reason the GOPs deflect to mental health and culture (Yikes! Video games!); they are actually part of the equation. 

Of course they are.

But what this deflection (purposely) doesn't acknowledge is that every other country in the world has mental health problems, every other country in the world plays the same video games we do, watches the same TV and movies we do, listens to the same music we do, etc., etc., etc.

But, other than cartel states, sub-Saharan Africa and active war zones, the U.S. is the only place where mass shootings happen over and over and over and over again.

I wonder what the one single difference is between us and all of those other places?

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Unless I have missed it, they're trying to keep them off the school district hq property, not the school grounds. 

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Of course they are.

But what this deflection (purposely) doesn't acknowledge is that every other country in the world has mental health problems, every other country in the world plays the same video games we do, watches the same TV and movies we do, listens to the same music we do, etc., etc., etc.

But, other than cartel states, sub-Saharan Africa and active war zones, the U.S. is the only place where mass shootings happen over and over and over and over again.

I wonder what the one single difference is between us and all of those other places?

Oooh, oooh!  It's marijuana, isn't it.  Yep, that's the ticket. 

9 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Police are the the biggest gaping fucking crybaby snowflake pussies in this entire country.

It's every insecure dipshit bully asshole you knew from high school, but now with a badge and gun.

spacer.png

Jobs for two who are now of job age.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Of course they are.

I'd hoped my post implied the bolded. In addition to gun laws, those countries put money into mental health problems. The humane Dems in Congress had passed laws and budgeted money to close large warehousing institutions for the mentally ill and create more homelike environments for them. Sweet old Ronnie Reagan followed through with closing the institutions, but did not fund an alternative. We put these people on the streets then whined about the homeless problem. American Cruelty Culture.*

Europeans don't have to deal with American Killer Kulture which is unique to the shining city on a hill as well as the gun death cult. We endorse cruel policy and arming the murderous while piously, generously flooding the results with thoughts and prayers and broken hearts instead of addressing the multi-faced problems. To do so would really cut into our self-congratulation time. That wouldn't do at all.

*Respect to Brisket

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

CNN sticking to the coverage template. I'll be just as tiresome as they are and point out that extensive focus on the acquisition and type of firearm really is only part of the story. There's a reason the GOPs deflect to mental health and culture (Yikes! Video games!); they are actually part of the equation. They're also difficult to pin down because they live in that grey human behavior area where simple, digestible facts don't thrive.

I'll give journalists some grudging credit for finally fleshing out why military weapons are so devastating beyond their rate of fire. After years of "they're designed to kill people," now, at last, they're getting to muzzle velocity and kinetic force shredding the human body. These are fairly simple ascertainable facts that most TV jounalists have been too lazy to explore. It would cut into their panel bloviation time.

What in our mythology and world view makes Americans prone to think so much in terms of killing people to resolve conflict? I can imagine Wolf Blitzer twitching as I put the question mark to the previous sentence. Ub ub ub...Jill what do you think about the likelihood that we'll see gun control legislation? Ahhh, so nice to be back in the comfort zone!

Eliminating military weapons in the hands of civilians will make the mass shootings less deadly. I'm for that, but I don't see it stopping mass shootings. It just seems like this issue and the way we look at it is another symptom of the American death spiral.

I'm getty really surly about this. 

The key is that they are designed to 1) seriously wound/kill human beings, and 2) a lot of them in short order.  That genuinely makes them unique (or at least in a class with high-capacity handguns).

I have a 30/06.  That round will definitely fuck a person up -- it's designed to kill large mammals, and humans meet that standard.   But it's a bolt action, with a 3-round magazine.  That gun could absolutely be used to kill people (see Whitman), but it's the "lot of them in short order" criterion that makes it a less desired weapon and functionally, a less lethal one (in terms of numbers).  

But it's more than just the weapon.  Age limits would help in many cases (but not all).  Not having a completely broke society that mocks empathy as weakness, and derides human kindness and decency, would be a start.  And we won't even do that.  Remember, the cruelty is the point, it only gets worse, there is no bottom -- when those things are true (and they are engraved-in-stone truths of this era), then trying to do things to address guns, mental health, whatever, can only do so much.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It really boils down to this. When groups have complained about toxic masculinity, it does not mean that men are bad. What it means is that what it means to be a man is in dire need of a cultural shift. When the person on the top is held up as a role model and the person on the bottom is considered an example of libtard "wokeness," (as mentioned before-woke is empathy turned into a pejorative) then we are in serious trouble:

Trump-Loving Anti-Muslim Gun Nut is Freaking Out Police

How Mr. Rogers Taught Me Everything I Need to Know About Marketing - Adweek

Mr. Rogers was a Marine, iirc. 

12 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah this happened at my pregnant wife’s hospital where she’s an ICU nurse. (Thankfully she wasn’t working today.)

Real nice trash fucking county we have here. Good to know we’re the only place in the world other than cartel states, sub-Saharan Africa or active war zones where this bullshit happens every other fucking day.

Big fuck you to the NRA and its army of trash fucking redneck assholes that have turned this country into a gun-worshiping hellacape where you have to worry about your kids getting shot at school or your wife getting shot while she goes about her business helping people at a fucking hospital.

You need to arm your wife at work.  Duh.

Not true. He registered for the draft but was classified 4-F. I've also heard the bullshit story several times that he was a Marine sniper with hundreds of confirmed kills and that his children's show was his way of coping with PTSD.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not true. He registered for the draft but was classified 4-F. I've also heard the bullshit story several times that he was a Marine sniper with hundreds of confirmed kills and that his children's show was his way of coping with PTSD.

Hey man, I was in the shit. I was there, man. You didn't talk to Fred. You listened to him. The man enlarged my mind. He's a poet warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll... uh... well, you'll say "hello" to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you. He won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say, "Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you"... I mean I'm... no, I can't... I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man! I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...He was great with puppets, man. In the shit.

What are they going to say about him? What? Are they going to say he was a kind man? He was a wise man? He had plans? He had wisdom? Bullshit, man! He had a fuckin' neighborhood! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

In my experience it was guys that were bullied that became small town cops and played out their revenge fantasies on the local pot heads and poc. 

I mean, I don't want to live in an America where a man can't just exercise his 2nd Amendment right to take potshots at cars driving by.  Why do all you commies hate 'Merica and freedom?  Does this story make you sad?  SWEET, more sweet libtears!

15 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

5 dead now, including shooter.  Shooter was self-inflicted.

from a CNN article..

Louis bought an AR-15-style semiautomatic rifle from a gun store at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Franklin said. Police were called about the shooting shortly before 5 p.m.

Christ, is there not a waiting period at all anymore? I will admit I am not up on all gun laws.

8 minutes ago, yoladu said:

from a CNN article..

Louis bought an AR-15-style semiautomatic rifle from a gun store at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Franklin said. Police were called about the shooting shortly before 5 p.m.

Christ, is there not a waiting period at all anymore? I will admit I am not up on all gun laws.

Sure there is. Credit card transactions aren't instantaneous yet.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Of course they are.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It really boils down to this. When groups have complained about toxic masculinity, it does not mean that men are bad. What it means is that what it means to be a man is in dire need of a cultural shift. When the person on the top is held up as a role model and the person on the bottom is considered an example of libtard "wokeness," (as mentioned before-woke is empathy turned into a pejorative) then we are in serious trouble:

Trump-Loving Anti-Muslim Gun Nut is Freaking Out Police

How Mr. Rogers Taught Me Everything I Need to Know About Marketing - Adweek

Maybe best to look at those places you mention and wonder why we are more like them violence wise.

Male dominated governance backed by radical religious systems that support that dominance and also support the tactics said males use to retain power (read small arms and fearmongering about gender issues and women's rights).

Which one of those guys Mrs Whiggins used for examples would fit better into Al Qaeda or a cartel in Central America, or corrupt African country?    The one thing they all have in common?  They all are strong patriarchal worlds that depend on lethal power for control.

That's the whole crux of it, you do anything to diminish guns in our society, then you are leveling the playing field.  And they have all along groomed women in their world to accept and fight for the patriarchy as well.    

• Like 1

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/gunman-bought-rifle-one-hour-before-slaying-4-people-tulsa-police-chief-says/article_950a12be-e27d-11ec-ba92-0ff2bc2e1fe0.html

Two health care providers, a medical officer staffer and a patient visitor were killed in a mass shooting Wednesday on the campus of Saint Francis Health System in Tulsa.

Mayor G.T. Bynum and officials from Saint Francis Health System and Tulsa Police Department offered more details Thursday on the shooting that left four innocent people dead, as well as the gunman.

The victims were identified by Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin as Dr. Preston Phillips, Dr. Stephanie Husen, Amanda Glenn and William Love. A family member of Glenn's said the chief misspoke when identifying her last name during the news conference.

6298c7c7e60db.image.jpg?resize=875,500

The shooter, who police say killed himself, was identified as Michael Louis of Muskogee, a patient of Phillips' who had recently been treated for back pain following a May 19 surgery.

Franklin said Glenn was a receptionist, and Love was a patient, but later a police spokesman said Love with with a patient.

"They stood in the way, and Louis gunned them down," the police chief said. He said Love reportedly held a door closed to allow another injured person to escape the office.

Franklin said Louis' wife confirmed with police that he blamed Phillips for his ongoing pain issues after being discharged May 24 following his surgery. She said Louis contacted her to let her know what he had done, but Franklin said she was not aware in advance of the shooting.

According to investigators, the 45-year-old purchased an AR-15-style rifle about one hour prior to the shooting from a local retailer, Franklin said. Louis bought the .40-caliber Smith & Wesson pistol used in the shootings on May 29 from an area pawn shop.

Louis reportedly had been seen by Phillips' office for a follow-up on his pain the day before the shooting.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

image.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Mr. Rogers was an ordained minister and possibly the greatest preacher of the Gospel in the 20th century. His show displayed more courage and strength than anyone wearing a pro anger tee shirt could possibly fathom. The pro-anger crowd needs to consider what they do with the mad that they feel.

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

from a CNN article..

That's because, there are none. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

from a CNN article..

Only as long as it takes for the NICS check to go through. At worst you get a delay and I think they have to release in 3 days if the check does not come back as rejected. 

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Maybe best to look at those places you mention and wonder why we are more like them violence wise.

Male dominated governance backed by radical religious systems that support that dominance and also support the tactics said males use to retain power (read small arms and fearmongering about gender issues and women's rights).

Which one of those guys Mrs Whiggins used for examples would fit better into Al Qaeda or a cartel in Central America, or corrupt African country?    The one thing they all have in common?  They all are strong patriarchal worlds that depend on lethal power for control.

That's the whole crux of it, you do anything to diminish guns in our society, then you are leveling the playing field.  And they have all along groomed women in their world to accept and fight for the patriarchy as well.    

fNEiNR.gif

Pyro, spitting fire and truth.  Our ruling political party has a lot more in common with Al Qaeda than they do with American democracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

from a CNN article..

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

That's because, there are none. 

yeah, dead kids out front shoulda told ya.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread