Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I did not conflate anything, but you are the one that brought abortion into the discussion. Sorry if the context of magnitude is off putting.

i brought recent republican talking points into the conversation.  sorry if the context of obviousness is off putting.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

democrats- we were a hairs breathe away from a fascist takeover of the American government.

also democrats - damn right we want to take away your ARs.

lolol.  i must've missed the leaked scotus draft concerning gun confiscation.

i'll leave someone else to address the notion that taking away assault rifles = fascism.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'll leave someone else to address the notion that taking away assault rifles = fascism.

Probably a good idea that you leave the exchange to others to clean up since you do no seem to be tracking it very well.  But congrats for linking it to abortion. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

And I actually generally like Beto and donated to him. 

wait, let me guess, you have a black friend too.

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

There are solutions where the vast majority of gun owners will be able to find agreement on expanding gun control measures. But reasonable gun owners are going to push back on nonsensical and performative measures.

the vast majority of gun owners are fine with the discussion, but the gop is not, so the vast majority of gun owners don't have to worry about any measures, nonsensical, performative, or otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Anastasis said:

An inescapable hole of brain damage. 

do you believe that all abortions are bad?  are there exceptions?  early or late in the pregnancy?  total number of previous abortions?

i only ask because you posted the number of total abortions in 2019. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

do you believe that all abortions are bad?  are there exceptions?  early or late in the pregnancy?  total number of previous abortions?

i only ask because you posted the number of total abortions in 2019. 

I think that you have a real knack for political consultantcy. Imagine how much you will be able to accomplish linking the gun control debate to the abortion debate.  

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Yeah, but cigarettes are not nearly as socially acceptable as they once were. If we could just do they same thing with guns…

i'm old enough to remember when people smoked on airplanes.  then i remember the older planes that still had workable ashtrays on the armrests.  and eventually sealed ashtrays.  then eventually they were gone, and nobody even bitched about it.

people evolve.  society evolves.  do we really think there will be daily gun violence in america in 250 years?  500 years?  1000 years?  if the answer to any of these questions is "no", then at some point, common sense entered the chat.  and 1-2 generations later, people will forget about it.

or maybe america won't even be around in 250 years.  unfortunately at this point, it's probably an either/or scenario.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I think that you have a real knack for political consultantcy. Imagine how much you will be able to accomplish linking the gun control debate to the abortion debate.  

then answer the question.  i'll give you a hint - there are no wrong answers.  just your opinion on a touchy subject.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

That’s  effective. I wonder what those things cost. 

Still, we can agree that feral hogs are a reasonable rural complaint. We ought be able to agree that firearms that have restrictions upon who can own them have yet to be a problem to society 

Bout 3k.  But getting them that trustworthy takes a small fortune in corn. It’s not an overnight deal.  

4 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

You're an outlier and pretty sure, a responsible gun owner.

He sounds like every hunter I know.  The vast majority of hunters and those that shoot for sport aren’t the “gotta have an open carry firearm on me to go to Chili’s” types.  The problem isn’t the guys that have 15-20k wrapped up in a Perrazi to break small clay birds. Or a guy like @deadshank who hunts with some exquisite rifles 95% of the time, and a more suitable tool (AR) for 5% of the time. 

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

people evolve.  society evolves.  do we really think there will be daily gun violence in america in 250 years?  500 years?  1000 years?  if the answer to any of these questions is "no", then at some point, common sense entered the chat.  and 1-2 generations later, people will forget about it.

or maybe america won't even be around in 250 years.  unfortunately at this point, it's probably an either/or scenario.

The violent nature of human beings will still be here in 1000 years. Like greed, it's just never going away. You can minimize it by improving education, job opportunities, healthcare... quality of life. Income inequality and poverty are the biggest predictors of crime and violence.

The countries the US compares to unfavorably socioeconomically are the same ones with less violence. When government removes the right of law abiding firearm ownership for self defense without already having largely corrected the socioeconomic issues, especially when there's already a huge number of guns in the country, you're more likely to see violent crime outcomes like Mexico or Brazil than you are Finland.

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

Yeah, but cigarettes are not nearly as socially acceptable as they once were. If we could just do they same thing with guns…

Unlike guns, cigarettes are still popular in developing countries and since the American tobacco companies had to pay huge fines for covering up the cancer risk, and since smoking is on the decline in the US, they’ve taken to shipping their products overseas. At least we don’t do that with guns and we would do well to copy the gun control laws in other countries that don’t suffer mass shootings. Or the assault weapons ban that worked successfully in our own country. Clinton was right and since Dubya let it expire, a lot more Americans have been killed. The proof is in the pudding. 

Just a reminder -- March for Our Lives is holding a rally at the State Capitol on June 11 at 10 a.m. 

I have nothing to do with the organization, other than going to this demonstration because 19 fourth-graders and 2 teachers were murdered in our backyard and a certain group of people seem to want to blame everything but the type of weapons that were used there... and El Paso... and Sutherland Springs... and Dallas... and Las Vegas... and Buffalo. Never marched for a thing, but this is too much. 

I also hope that you are contacting your reps/senators to tell them your thoughts. I'm also doing that, except for Ted Cruz because, well. It's Ted Cruz. 

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just a reminder -- March for Our Lives is holding a rally at the State Capitol on June 11 at 10 a.m. 

I have nothing to do with the organization, other than going to this demonstration because 19 fourth-graders and 2 teachers were murdered in our backyard and a certain group of people seem to want to blame everything but the type of weapons that were used there... and El Paso... and Sutherland Springs... and Dallas... and Las Vegas... and Buffalo. Never marched for a thing, but this is too much. 

I also hope that you are contacting your reps/senators to tell them your thoughts. I'm also doing that, except for Ted Cruz because, well. It's Ted Cruz.

I applaud your efforts.  But masses like you won't move the needle with any Republican in Congress.  They'll tune out the typical voting citizens, no matter how many marches they schedule and no matter how many emails they send.  Maybe they'll listen if some of the wealthy donors and PACs start suggesting that they might want to consider some kinda half-baked gun control legislation.  But we could have 20 more school shootings between now and November and it won't affect the midterms.

18 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

why would anyone bother with that when you can spray and pray while making pig mush in the process?

You’re supposed to be arguing AGAINST ARs (if you have land anywhere in Texas you know)

The only way this gets fixed is at the ballot box. Convince your friends and family to vote 

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

14 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

If both sides have agreed on mental evaluations, how can you not have expanded background checks?  

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Because Republicans only want to protect the money flow.  They say it's about mental health, but refuse to do anything that might help keep someone with known issues from purchasing a gun.

It's a head fake.  It works.

Is it because he knows much of his constituency could not pass the background check?

If you're not crazy what do you have to fear?  If you don't beat your wife what do you have to fear? If you did not plan to storm the Capitol what do you have to fear? If you don't set plans to kidnap and execute your Governor what do you have to fear?

They want to keep the Proud Boys and 3% groups happy even though they are domestic terrorist groups.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bolverk said:

There are some who make the counterintuitive argument that our allowing anyone to hunt feral hogs has actually made their infestation worse. In some states that don't allow it, their populations are on the decline.

Texas has a feral hog problem. Hunting them makes it worse.

That's a must read article. Thanks, bolverk.

It's also a great example business addressing a problem and making the problem worse because they profit from proliferation. We put an Aggie professor (UT grad, ugh)  in charge of figuring out the feral pig problem.

spacer.png

John Tomecek

Yeeeeee-hawwww!

Illinois' Wildlife guy says this:

“If we were to just go out and hunt them, I liken it to taking a dandelion and blowing on it. You’ve just spread the infestation all across your yard,” said Mike Wefer, wildlife division chief for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Our boy says:

“And if you wanted to say 'no, we just don’t want people hunting pigs, we think it’s a bad idea,' you will remove a significant amount of the take of pigs that happens on the landscape, so it’s not really a positive thing, we don’t really want to reduce folks trying to kill pigs,” said Tomeček.

I added internal quote marks for clarity.

Lastly, what starts here changes the world.

The state’s problem does not just affect Texas, however. Populations of hogs originally from Texas have been found in other states. People are moving them across state lines illegally, in an effort to replicate the hog hunting opportunities found in the Lone Star State. But doing so could also mean replicating all the problems that come with a feral hog infestation.

Yes, let's leave it to the market to solve the pig problem. Business would never consider exploiting the problem for profit.

As stated in a post above, this is a state problem to addressed by the state not turned over to individuals. 

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I did not conflate anything, but you are the one that brought abortion into the discussion. Sorry if the context of magnitude is off putting.

Maybe I should just adopt the hg style of posting.

democrats- we were a hairs breathe away from a fascist takeover of the American government.

also democrats - damn right we want to take away your ARs.

My friend, I'm having trouble finding the contradiction between those two statements.

ARs make it easiers to takeover the government, no? Further, I feel pretty safe in saying that those attacking the Capitol were overwhelmingly more likely to own and even open-carry an AR than those who were shocked and mortified by the insurrection. Some participants evidently had firearms nearby in vans and cars.

So, I guess I'm with your hyperbolic characterization of Dems regarding ARs. Strict control including permits for persons like deadshank.

14 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

If both sides have agreed on mental evaluations, how can you not have expanded background checks?  

Dem mental evaluation: standardized evaluation.

GOP mental evaluation: Clerk says, "Yep, you're normal as me. We have a special on child-killing ammo, interested?"

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I call bs that feral hog hunting should be considered as a major talking point on why we can't make our schools (and other public areas) safer.

No one is even arguing against a landowner's right to remove invasive hogs. 

Well see, what we have here is a slippery slope.

12 hours ago, royiv said:

So some deaths of school children is okay as long as it stays under a certain threshold? What is that threshold? 

Apparently as long as more feral hogs are getting killed than school children, public gun ownership is working just fine.

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I call bs that feral hog hunting should be considered as a major talking point on why we can't make our schools (and other public areas) safer.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Continuing with the feral hog talk: I live in NW Austin and have had one knock over my trash can and tear through my trash twice in the last week.  Any advice for how to deal with it that doesn't include gunning it down with a weapon of war?  

nope, the only way to get rid of it is to splatter its entrails all over your neighbor's Tahoe

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My friend, I'm having trouble finding the contradiction between those two statements.

ARs make it easiers to takeover the government, no? Further, I feel pretty safe in saying that those attacking the Capitol were overwhelmingly more likely to own and even open-carry an AR than those who were shocked and mortified by the insurrection. Some participants evidently had firearms nearby in vans and cars.

If you are worried about authoritarians with ARs, your chief concern imo should be our militarized domestic law enforcement.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you are worried about authoritarians with ARs, your chief concern imo should be our militarized domestic law enforcement.  

I don't think I mentioned authoritarians with ARs. I limited my remarks to actual insurrectionists who now have a history of attacking our republic and seem to own ARs in abundance. That was in direct response to your post comparing AR ownership to concern about insurrection (attacking the Capitol).

I share your concern about the militarized police and their threat to us individually and as a whole. I don't have a problem holding that concern in my mind at the same time with the one stated in the post you quote.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Unlike guns, cigarettes are still popular in developing countries and since the American tobacco companies had to pay huge fines for covering up the cancer risk, and since smoking is on the decline in the US, they’ve taken to shipping their products overseas. At least we don’t do that with guns

But we do. Canada's guns and Mexico's guns come from the United States. Mexico owes it's gun violence problem to guns brought in from the United States.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I totally agree with you.   When the whole feral pig rabbit hole started I was merely replying to @'stache when he said something along the lines of nobody hunts or should hunt with an AR (I don't recall the exact words and I'm not attempting to misquote him) and I pointed out that I do use the AR platform for pig hunting / eradication.  

My comment was never meant to be a major talking point but only pointing out a fact that it is a tool I use.  A tool just like the other rifles I own and use.  

I didn't realize the comment would become such a derail.  See.....feral pigs cause untold problems.

Lo siento.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

He might as well have his dick out, cuz he's just pissin' in the wind.  He proposed expanded background checks, raising age limits, red flag laws, and waiting period on assault rifles.  I will bet him all of his real property in Austin that the GQP agrees to none of those.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

He might as well have his dick out, cuz he's just pissin' in the wind.  He proposed expanded background checks, raising age limits, red flag laws, and waiting period on assault rifles.  I will bet him all of his real property in Austin that the GQP agrees to none of those.

Hey I want in on that bet.  

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Hey I want in on that bet.  

Spoiler -- it's already been decided.  Cornyn is the lead negotiator on the issue, and he already said "no new gun laws."  He made some weak-ass allusion to "mental health stuff" and "school safety."  The only possible McConaughey issue that could overlap with is red flag laws, and I guarandamntee you that the GQP won't agree to anything that makes it harder for any individual to acquire or possess a firearm.

11 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

One side of GQP's mouth- This is not a gun issue, it's a mental health issue.

Other side of GQP's mouth- Proposals that would make access to firearms more restrictive due to mental health are non-starters. Also, we're slashing funding for mental health. Because lizard people. 

Dot connecting is not something Americans are good at.

spacer.png

They're too busy with important stuff.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Goddamn.  Every time I see her, all I can think is "her blood type must be 'gravy.'"

She, her daughter, child beauty pageants, and the audience for all of that are a disease. A celebration of ugliness and Idiot World with a dash of pedophilia thrown in. Those things are also a reflection of why Americans can't carry on useful discourse or be bothered to even attempt to comprehend an issue as straightforward and vital as what we should do to protect citizens and their children from random slaughters.

Mental health evaluation. You lost me at mental.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread