Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

A suspect is in custody at a church in Vestavia Hills, Alabama, following a shooting Thursday evening, police said.

"We have multiple people that have been shot," Capt. Shane Ware with the Vestavia Hills Police Department said.

The shooting took place at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Vestavia Hills, a suburb of Birmingham.

Harden St Stephens. Arm the clergy. Time to get serious!

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Republicans are fine with new gun laws as long as they mean more guns. 

I posted about that when it first happened. Checking bookmarks...about two weeks ago.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ohio-let-teachers-carry-guns-after-24-hours-training-2022-06-03/

Ohio Republicans also copied the law that says anyone can conceal carry with no license and no training.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local/ohio/ohio-passes-bill-eliminating-required-training-permits-carrying-concealed-weapons/530-8681e804-e034-4004-be50-d772759f413f

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Dumbest idea ever. Teacher is just as likely to miss the bad guy and kill an innocent student. Teachers aren’t cops.

Cops can't shoot for shit,  really.  Teachers will probably outshoot cops with this 24 hrs of training...

Hell,  I haven't shot in 20 years and I could probably outshoot a fucking cop... unless I was aiming for a dog

Just saw on CBS News that Cornyn walked out of stalled talks on a gun bill. Shocker. Who could’ve seen that coming? By all reports they’re debating over a very weak bill. We all know the game. The GOP is beholden to the NRA and their ultimate goal is to do nothing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-guns-deal-talks-stalled-over-details/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Just saw on CBS News that Cornyn walked out of stalled talks on a gun bill. Shocker. Who could’ve seen that coming? By all reports they’re debating over a very weak bill. We all know the game. The GOP is beholden to the NRA and their ultimate goal is to do nothing.

I’d say that’s a poor political move by the NRA. If you want to keep your congressional Republicans in power, and there might be some possible slight weakness on the gun issue, throw potential swing voters a bone with some lame-ass restrictions so you can say you’ve responded with sensible legislation while still protecting Jesus Christ’s favorite constitutional amendment.

But the NRA and the Republicans also might think they have enough rubes who will vote red if they continue with a Fuck You/Arm Me party line. And they’re probably right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’d say that’s a poor political move by the NRA. If you want to keep your congressional Republicans in power, and there might be some possible slight weakness on the gun issue, throw potential swing voters a bone with some lame-ass restrictions so you can say you’ve responded with sensible legislation while still protecting Jesus Christ’s favorite constitutional amendment.

But the NRA and the Republicans also might think they have enough rubes who will vote red if they continue with a Fuck You/Arm Me party line. And they’re probably right.

The NRA is a trade group with one goal: sell more guns. Cornyn can’t afford to give up his A+ rating with the NRA or he might lose their funding and support. We know the playbook.

https://www.nrapvf.org/campaigns/2014/vote-cornyn/

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Oh cool. Vestavia Hills.

Very nice Birmingham suburb - not Mountain Brook rich but probably the second old money suburb.

Went for 63% for Trump.

My wife was shopping at Publix across the street from the shooting when it went down. Out of all of the LEO agencies..including the FBI that immediately descended on the scene, you would have thought that one of those "heroes" could have strolled across the street to warn the shoppers that there was a crazed gunman on the loose. Fuck those idiots. I'm not sure what your point is with the 63% is though, or if it is even correct.

41 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not surprised at all after the other GQP senators started crying because they might actually be expected to take action - worthless fucks, the lot of them.

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/16/cornyn-gun-negotiations-senate-republicans

16 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Not surprised at all after the other GQP senators started crying because they might actually be expected to take action - worthless fucks, the lot of them.

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/16/cornyn-gun-negotiations-senate-republicans

“Cornyn has rebranded ‘red flag laws’ — a toxic phrase among conservatives — as ‘crisis intervention.’

He's said he wants states to have the option to use the federal grant money to ‘incentivize’ them to pass red flag laws for other purposes.”

Cornyn doesn’t want to do shit that might piss off Wayne LaPierre. I don’t trust him for a second even though that article mostly tries to portray him as an advocate for change, minimal as it might be. I think that quoted text betrays the lie.

I hope I’m wrong because at least something, however incremental, is better than nothing. But so far things are playing out exactly as I expected. Which is to say that nothing is getting done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

103465155_10223123337252991_123304344965

Federal law prohibits domestic abusers from having guns, but only if they have been married to, have lived with, or have a child with the victim. It does not otherwise prohibit abusive dating partners from having guns. This gap in the law is known as the “boyfriend loophole” and has become increasingly deadly.

Needlessly misleading tweet. Federal laws already exist. But the boyfriend loophole in this bill is very important. 1 in 3 homicides are domestic and fewer people get married, have kids, live together... Shit's different than it was when these laws passed. And barring these guys from ownership before they get entrenched in a woman's life will save lives.

That 40% of cops data is old (like early 90s?) and from a limited sample size. It may still be accurate though. The issue is actually convicting cops...

Edited by B00M
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, B00M said:

Needlessly misleading tweet. Federal laws already exist. But the boyfriend loophole in this bill is very important. 1 in 3 homicides are domestic and fewer people get married, have kids, live together... Shit's different than it was when these laws passed. And barring these guys from ownership before they get entrenched in a woman's life will save lives.

That 40% of cops data is old (like early 90s?) and from a limited sample size. It may still be accurate though. The issue is actually convicting cops...

It's probably closer to 66%

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“Cornyn has rebranded ‘red flag laws’ — a toxic phrase among conservatives — as ‘crisis intervention.’

He's said he wants states to have the option to use the federal grant money to ‘incentivize’ them to pass red flag laws for other purposes.”

Cornyn doesn’t want to do shit that might piss off Wayne LaPierre. I don’t trust him for a second even though that article mostly tries to portray him as an advocate for change, minimal as it might be. I think that quoted text betrays the lie.

I hope I’m wrong because at least something, however incremental, is better than nothing. But so far things are playing out exactly as I expected. Which is to say that nothing is getting done. 

cornyn has the power and cachet to play hardball here. he isn't up for reelection until 2026. 

make no mistake, he is not a good actor in all this. none of what he does operates outside of money and party politics. 

frankly, i'm surprised the nra still has this much say after that dark russian money dried up.

or did it?

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

cornyn has the power and cachet to play hardball here. he isn't up for reelection until 2026. 

make no mistake, he is not a good actor in all this. none of what he does operates outside of money and party politics. 

frankly, i'm surprised the nra still has this much say after that dark russian money dried up.

or did it?

The dust settled on the sanctions and they figured out a way to bypass the sanctions (for now). The stronger medicine is still in the cabinet as a way to deter Russia from escalating, but I am not optimistic that Russia will be deterred. I also think Russia has help from India, Iran, and China.

In a freak accident, the server hosting the body cam footage had all it's hard drives fail, the raid array exploded, the server burst in to blames, the building it was in collapsed, caught on fire and then sunk in to a swamp.

Edited by kevwun

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

In a freak accident, the server hosting the body cam footage had all it's hard drives fail, the raid array exploded, the server burst in to blames, the building it was in collapsed, caught on fire and then sunk in to a swamp.

CEF709AE-7D99-499F-92BE-8D6155D4A857.jpeg

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

76BBEB2E-1159-48E8-BB7A-37EBD2482FC9.thumb.png.ed237266e523509eead40e449b4325c4.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

The shooter from Alabama?

A licensed ATF firearms dealer.

c51a9f81b1ef49585bfe024186a8492b.jpg
a381547d7939ff0e0299787fb3c8d87b.jpg

Dammit. I didn't know about this until right now. 

Olds at a church? Why?

Because the Episcopalians are ok with somebody being gay? 

Motive is the most elusive in all this. We know exactly squat about that fucker in LV except he had a massive arsenal and a killing field. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

WTF? This isn’t already happening?

I assume it is for licensed dealers. I don’t know how rigorous the process is. It probably varies depending on the State. But private individuals can sell their guns. My brother has a large gun collection. I’m pretty sure it’s legal for him to sell me some, or even give me some, and neither of us would need a background check and, thanks to new legislation passed by Ohio Republicans (lagging behind Texas Republicans and I don’t know where else), I can conceal carry without a license or any training.

But, if I were a teacher in Ohio, I would need 24 hours of training if I wanted to carry a gun in school. That’ll stop ‘em!

Should have told them they were serving a no knock warrant to that classroom. Maybe they could have found a way in then.

“There’s a black guy, a dog, and the butt of a smoked joint in there.” They’d have blown the door down and shot everything alive on the other side.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

“There’s a black guy, a dog, and the butt of a smoked joint in there.” They’d have blown the door down and shot everything alive on the other side.

Well, it seems they may have done that last part anyway.  But that’s just speculation.