Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

L

To PROTECT and serve.  Law ENFORCEMENT.  Texas Department of Public SAFETY.

All meaningless phrases now.  

FUCK ALL COPS

You sure about that?  When is the last time you saw “to protect and serve” on a  vehicle?  I think it’s been 20 years since that was their motto. 

32 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

That's all well and good, but there are 20 million AR-15s out there. Which means that even if the were distributed as only 1 per person, then at most, 6% of the population has one. We can't do something for the other 94%! 

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Everyone needs to read this.  This is horrible that they had the numbers and equipment to go in but they never even tried the doors to see if they were locked.

They never even tried the doors.  It was unlocked when the shooter went in and they only lock from the outside.  Probably had a magnet in place.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/20/uvalde-police-shooting-response-records/

So they had a breaching tool if they were locked but they never even checked

Arredono told reporters that they tried the doors and they were locked but SAEN reporters who watched the hallway video say there is no evidence that they ever tried the doors.

They could have stopped him 9 minutes in and there were at least 3 other major volleys of fire over the next hour.

The door's locking mechanism was busted. The teacher reported it to the school and it wasn't fixed. There was no need for the magnet as the door physically would not lock according to the DPS commander who testified yesterday. (Though the Uvalde fuckup mayor says he liked about lots of things.I

1 hour ago, bluto said:

This got me to thinking if I’ve ever been glad a police officer was around, the only time I can recall is French Qtr on a sketchy Saturday night. Besides that, I can’t recall another feeling of comfort or safety provided by them, nothing but asshole encounters

I've had average to OK experiences with cops over the years. I'm not sure they've ever really done anything helpful for me, though. I'm also a white guy.

52 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

John Cougar gets it.

Robb Elementary will be torn down. It’s the right call. Perhaps when legislators realize that police inaction cost a city property, then our state will require cops to actually protect people, too. At least, until SCOTUS strikes such a requirement, for being unacceptably non-authoritarian.

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

There are two kinds of cops:  the dirty, lying cowards and the ones who lie to protect said scumbags. 
Ergo, all cops suck.  No way to change my mind.

Cops are worthless.

So I can't remember what podcast it was, but there was one I listened to on Monday / Tuesday that goes through great detail on how there's actually nothing that says the cops have to help you.

It pretty much matches what they discuss in the article.

Police Have No Duty to Protect the Public - The American Prospect

Here's the main case that's referenced now:

In 2005, Jessica Gonzales sued Castle Rock, Colorado police for failing to arrest her husband, who had violated a protective order, resulting in the murder of her three children. Her case went to the U.S. Supreme Court in The Town of Castle Rock v. Gonzales, where she lost because even though the order required arresting her husband upon violation, then-Justice Antonin Scalia successfully argued that “a well-established tradition of police discretion has long coexisted with apparently mandatory arrest statutes.”

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

Perhaps when legislators realize that police inaction cost a city property, then our state will require cops to actually protect people, too.

You haven't been paying attention.  They will instead take further action limting the ability of local governments to tax to provide basic services, ESPECIALLY schools.  That's the play they've been running for years.  They'll keep running it.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You haven't been paying attention.  They will instead take further action limting the ability of local governments to tax to provide basic services, ESPECIALLY schools.  That's the play they've been running for years.  They'll keep running it.

Damn it, I can’t argue with that. Other than the school will be rebuilt. 

12 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Robb Elementary will be torn down. It’s the right call. Perhaps when legislators realize that police inaction cost a city property, then our state will require cops to actually protect people, too. At least, until SCOTUS strikes such a requirement, for being unacceptably non-authoritarian.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep,  they will tell the town that they should be homeschooling the kids.  Public Education is a dirty word in today's Republican Party.

Closing the school means they don't have to worry about history being taught.   

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

When I was a young boy
Said put away those young boy ways
Now that I'm gettin' older, so much older
I long for those young boy days

With a gun like you
With a gun like you
Lord knows there are things we can do, baby
Just me and you
Come on and make it, uh

Hurts so good
Come on baby, make it hurt so good
Sometimes love don't feel like it should
You make it hurt so good

Don't have to be so exciting
Just tryin' to give myself a little bit of fun, yeah
You always look so invitin'
I ain't as green with this here gun

Hey baby, it's you
Come on, gun, now, it's you
Sink that brass right through their bones, baby
Let's see what we can do
Come on and make it, uh

Hurts so good
You make it hurt so good

Ain't talkin' no big deals
Ain't passed no bills themselves
Ain't takin' this long steel
Maybe we could walk around all day long
Walk around all day long, uh

Hurts so good
You make it hurt so good

Hurts so good, c'mon baby now
You make it hurt so good

Hey, hey

This is the painful thing as a native Nebraskan who was in high school in the 80s. I recognize that there was no greater champion of the rural Midwest in the 80s than J©M. I also recognize that there is no greater doggish allegiance to the “conservative” dogma than the rural Midwest.

I wonder if John (and Willy) had just wished they let the small towns get fucked by free market forces they so adore.

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Wow. At least yours are still attempting to have that image. 

In high school about 20 years ago in rural East Texas, the Sherriff had a bumper sticker that said "My gun protects your rights."

Always thought that was weird.

This got me to thinking if I’ve ever been glad a police officer was around, the only time I can recall is French Qtr on a sketchy Saturday night. Besides that, I can’t recall another feeling of comfort or safety provided by them, nothing but asshole encounters

Two of my employees were robbed by NOLA cops when they were out after curfew when working the Katrina response. They were shook down for their cash, credit cards, and phones, to avoid going to jail.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Yep,  they will tell the town that they should be homeschooling the kids.  Public Education is a dirty word in today's Republican Party.

It is remarkable that, just a year ago, we were bombarded with the claim that learning from home damages children. But, yes, I am aware the fungelicals view public education as Satanic.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He was shooting up two rooms.  He can only be in one room at a time, with a passage in between.  I don't understand why they didn't have eyes on him, maybe through outside windows or even just the classroom doors, and come in from the other room to take him out as soon as they figured out where he was.

I know, Monday morning QB'ing, but for fuck's sake, use your damn guns.  Yeah, you might get shot in the knee or something.  That's what the pension is for.

I had the same thoughts. If they open both doors at the same time, the killer can't protect himself from both directions. The best case scenario would be that he retreats from the room he is in then ambushed in the adjoining room.

I also wondered if there were windows because it seemed that would be a point to either breach or at least observe. Indeed, there are a huge set of windows as seen below.

spacer.png

The Texas Tribue article linked here and above is excellent. Looking at the pictures of the cops in the hall, it appears that they hope the shooter will walk into the hallway and into an ambush. The article says there were cops on either end of the hall; the morons probably would have shot each other.

I have a few times in my life had to make decisions where there might have been great risk. I was lucky in that the possible risks weren't actually present. I decided to aid people. In the instant of decision, the thought of how would I live with myself if I just stood by ended all internal deliberation. 

I don't know if the Uvalde police will find a way to rationalize their cowardice. I suspect they mostly will. Still, there must be a few officers who remained passive that will have a twist in their gut for the rest of their lives. I'm largely indifferent to their potential suffering other than to wish they'd done what they know they should have done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

If a certain party doesn't give a shit about 19 kids and 2 dead teachers, what about the economic damage caused? When you add up the economic damage between the school demolition/rebuild, resources needed for the community, lost lifetime income for all those involved, a $2,000 AR-15 has done what, $25-50 million in economic damage? Hell, with everyone lawyering up, it might be even more.

Just so much loss and destruction because of a weapon that shouldn't be legal.

5 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Me thinks that Pete Arredondo needs to Frank Pentangeli himself fucking coward

It’s made national news. I can’t understand why he hasn’t been fired yet. I’ve also seen on CBS News the mayor of Uvalde complaining about getting no information or help from Austin. But...couldn’t he fire Arredondo?

CBS also reported that the building is going to be demolished. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Jesus, brisket you've gone off the deep end. I have had several instances personally in my life in which I have been glad a police officer was there.

Really? I haven’t. Not once. I’ve had a few experiences when I definitely didn’t want them around. But literally every time I needed their help, whether it was when I was robbed or when I was assaulted, they didn’t do shit for me. I avoid them whenever possible.

The one good thing I ever experienced was when someone hit a dog in the street outside and I heard it whimpering. I called their non-emergency help line and they sent animal control out to rescue the poor thing. I guess it’s also cool that, even though it’s illegal to shoot off fireworks here, I’ve never heard of anyone getting busted for shooting them off around the 4th of July. Such heroes. 

Two of my employees were robbed by NOLA cops when they were out after curfew when working the Katrina response. They were shook down for their cash, credit cards, and phones, to avoid going to jail.

Aren’t NOLA cops about as corrupt as it gets?

Oh, and my wife is now a receptionist at our local High School.  She's the one responsible for tripping the alarm, locking the school down and trapping a threat in the "corral" at the entrance.  I'm sure state leadership will want her to carry a gun now instead of preventing people from getting them that should have red flags or are too young and violent to responsibly own them.

Frustration Gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

10 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Cross posting this from the DT thread.

MSNBC tearing everyone involved a new one tonight.  Here are some of the things reported on national news:

•  
  • The doors could only be locked with a key from the outside so the shooter could not have locked it from inside
  •  

This is the one thing that I'm not getting, and I'm thinking may not be accurate.  How can teachers protect their classrooms if they can't lock the doors?  We have a few friends that teach or are in administration in Austin area schools and they say the teachers lock the doors from the inside.

26 minutes ago, landman said:

This is the one thing that I'm not getting, and I'm thinking may not be accurate.  How can teachers protect their classrooms if they can't lock the doors?  We have a few friends that teach or are in administration in Austin area schools and they say the teachers lock the doors from the inside.

The doors are supposed to be locked at all times.  Standard procedure is that they have something to prevent it from latching like a magnet or something.  They pull that when there is a lockdown and the door is already locked.

One particular door was reported as not functioning properly and it did not lock.  It was supposed to be serviced by maintenance or something.  Either that or the magnet was not pulled in time.  Regardless the door was not locked and the police never checked it.

The DPS chief grandstanded with a cutaway of that type of door in the State Senate chambers the other day to show how it works.

I volunteer as a Sunday School teacher and our doors are like you describe.  We have to put a magnet on the outside of the door, shut the door and lock the lock from the inside.  I don't even have any keys.  This prevents people from spreading keys everywhere.

Edited by TexasEd

The social conservatism of the 90s is making a comeback..starting to see the resurgence of blaming video games, music, etc., for violence. Also Pubs or right leaning people say it's a mental health problem. OK, that's something most people agree on. Does that mean you'd support healthcare for everyone? *crickets*

Nope. The keyhole is only on the outside door handle, and there is no lock/unlock switch inside the classroom. We are told to lock the classroom door from the outside and keep it locked at all times. My school also instructed us to keep the door closed at all times. If a student leaves for the bathroom they have to let back in by someone inside the room or by someone with a key. Prisons... schools... what's the difference really?
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, tchookem said:
6 hours ago, landman said:

Nope. The keyhole is only on the outside door handle, and there is no lock/unlock switch inside the classroom. We are told to lock the classroom door from the outside and keep it locked at all times. My school also instructed us to keep the door closed at all times. If a student leaves for the bathroom they have to let back in by someone inside the room or by someone with a key. Prisons... schools... what's the difference really?

Wait . . . you can exit the room, though, right?  It can be locked from the outside, meaning one would have to have a key to get in, but those in the room are not captive?

Even if that's the case, it's backwards.

Wait . . . you can exit the room, though, right?  It can be locked from the outside, meaning one would have to have a key to get in, but those in the room are not captive?
Even if that's the case, it's backwards.
Yes. The door is opens from the inside, but there is no way to lock it from the inside. You cannot enter without a key or unless someone inside opens the door. We used to be allowed to prop doors open or put magnets over the latches, but they stopped allowing it a couple years ago. They even sent principals around during class to close any propped doors.

You are not captive in the room, but your movement in and out is limited.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:31 PM, DigglerontheHoof said:

There are two kinds of cops:  the dirty, lying cowards and the ones who lie to protect said scumbags. 
Ergo, all cops suck.  No way to change my mind.

Cops are worthless.

Cops don't answer to anybody, there is no oversight.  Their union could change this but won't.

So with open carry and no LTC required could I buy one of these to wear and keep my Glock holstered in it at all times and just wear it anywhere I want? I know I can open carry the gun but would the vest get me stopped? Forget it having any logo or anything just a plain bulletproof vest with gun holster.

image.png.99c473730eff3d2734e565509e19a1d6.png

Edited by Covri
No*

10 minutes ago, Covri said:

So with open carry and now LTC required could I buy one of these to wear and keep my Glock holstered in it at all times and just wear it anywhere I want? I know I can open carry the gun but would the vest get me stopped? Forget it having any logo or anything just a plain bulletproof vest with gun holster.

sure, and just follow a SCOTUS justice around

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

12 minutes ago, Covri said:

So with open carry and now LTC required could I buy one of these to wear and keep my Glock holstered in it at all times and just wear it anywhere I want? I know I can open carry the gun but would the vest get me stopped? Forget it having any logo or anything just a plain bulletproof vest with gun holster.

Walk into a school in Uvalde and nobody will mess with you.

• Rage+1 3

24 minutes ago, Covri said:

So with open carry and no LTC required could I buy one of these to wear and keep my Glock holstered in it at all times and just wear it anywhere I want? I know I can open carry the gun but would the vest get me stopped? Forget it having any logo or anything just a plain bulletproof vest with gun holster.

Yeah, keep that big "Z" logo on it and then talk to some Ukrainians.

• Haha 2