Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Regarding the Indianapolis mall shooting:

"The gunman was identified as Jonathan Douglas Sapirman, 20, who police said prepared for the shooting for a little over an hour in a bathroom before he emerged with a rifle, Greenwood Police Chief James Ison said. The victims were identified as Indianapolis couple Pedro Pineda, 56, and Rosa Mirian Rivera de Pineda, 37, and Victor Gomez, 30, who is also from Indianapolis.

"Sapirman, the gunman, had two rifles, a Glock pistol and more than 100 rounds of ammunition with him at the time of the shooting, but only used an AR 15-style rifle, Ison said. The AR 15-style rifle was legally purchased on March 8 in Greenwood, the police chief said. The second rifle was purchased March 9, 2021, from a Greenwood gun store."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/17/us/indiana-greenwood-park-mall-shooting/index.html

Good thing is that the legislation recently signed into law would have prevented this shooting, which is by far the most common -- young male attacking with a high-powered rifle. Oh wait. Nothing in that legislation would have done jack squat to prevent Uvalde happening again nor this shooting. 

So semi-serious comment/question, though it sounds weird. At what point does a mass-shooting no longer become "cool" for these kids? Ever?

I think the trend will be toward trying to gain notoriety in having bigger and more grotesque shootings. The thing in Indy is barely making a blip these days. And frankly, just reading it felt so "basic" when it comes to the shootings. Oh look, another white kid who wanted to feel like The Punisher so he bought an AR-15.

How long until a popular TV show or a stand-up act just completely makes fun of these guys for doing this shit and turns them into clowns instead of the "cool vengeance Joker characters" that they seem to think they are? I mean geez, look at the mugshots of the mass shooters they catch. They ain't exactly the coolest looking bunch.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So semi-serious comment/question, though it sounds weird. At what point does a mass-shooting no longer become "cool" for these kids? Ever?

I think the trend will be toward trying to gain notoriety in having bigger and more grotesque shootings. The thing in Indy is barely making a blip these days. And frankly, just reading it felt so "basic" when it comes to the shootings. Oh look, another white kid who wanted to feel like The Punisher so he bought an AR-15.

How long until a popular TV show or a stand-up act just completely makes fun of these guys for doing this shit and turns them into clowns instead of the "cool vengeance Joker characters" that they seem to think they are? I mean geez, look at the mugshots of the mass shooters they catch. They ain't exactly the coolest looking bunch.

it's an interesting thought.  my guess is it is harder to do that here because the stuff that gets taken down by mockery is more fashion-like stuff that has no inherent worth.  here, the guns will always give the perp power over others.

26 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If anything, comedians and media making fun of shooters will only drive more of those types of people to the margins and give them that much more motivation to lash out.  As long as assault rifles are readily available, this trend ain't reversing itself.

• Hook 'Em 2

Dude that shot the mall gunman apparently dropped him with one shot from about 45 yards away (yeah partly luck but still), fired more as he got closer. No military or police experience. 

Im always reminded of that time those cops fired on that guy in a wheelchair that had a knife. 3 cops ~15 yards away. Over 30 shots fired total. They hit him 11 times.

Edited by Helobious

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If anything, comedians and media making fun of shooters will only drive more of those types of people to the margins and give them that much more motivation to lash out.  As long as assault rifles are readily available, this trend ain't reversing itself.

Yeah... That won't reverse it either. There are like 300M semi-automatic firearms in the US. Magically take away the 40M AR15 type rifles and what have you really accomplished? Jack shit.

Here's an interesting idea. Give cops a legal responsibility to protect the people again. Especially fucking students.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Dude that shot the mall gunman apparently dropped him with one shot from about 45 yards away (yeah partly luck but still), fired more as he got closer. No military or police experience. 

Im always reminded of that time those cops fired on that guy in a wheelchair that had a knife. 3 cops ~15 yards away. Over 30 shots fired total. They hit him 11 times.

I bet dumb ass conservatives are doing back flips for this guy.

4 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I bet dumb ass conservatives are doing back flips for this guy.

Yep.

On the mass shooting scoreboard for 2022, we're at Bad Guys with Guns, 352 -- Good Guys with Guns, 1.    And in conservative/aggy land, the team with "1" is winning, bigly.

Dumbest.

Fucking.

Timeline.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, horn4life said:

376 members of law enforcement responded to the Uvalde School shooting.

It wasn't numbers, it wasn't equipment, it wasn't leadership.  It was officers that knew what an assault rifle can do, and they did not want to be shot.

Nothing more, nothing les

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

On the mass shooting scoreboard for 2022, we're at Bad Guys with Guns, 352 -- Good Guys with Guns, 1.    And in conservative/aggy land, the team with "1" is winning, bigly.

Dumbest.

Fucking.

Timeline.

That kid had more resolve than the 376police that were  supposed to protect those kids. Your position is full blown dumbfuckery. Add up all the shootings with illegal guns in gun control states and see how that works out .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

30 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

Great. 

Can we count on there being a kid with more balls than the cops around when the next guy shows up at a Texas Wal-Mart to exterminate Mexicans?  Nope.

Can we count on the cops stepping in?  Nope.

Can we count on meaningful gun laws in one state doing jack shit when just across the border in another state, an 18 year old can buy enough ARs and ammo to outfit a battalion?  Nope.

Gosh, if only there were some things we could do to prevent clearly psychopathic 18 year old males from acquiring an AR.  Man, I WONDER what we could do?

Oh, and by the way, even our shitty gun laws actually worked here.  How, you ask?  Because that school wasn't shot up by a 17 year old psycho.  That's what he wanted; he TRIED to get an AR before he turned 18, but couldn't.  Now, imagine the exact same law....but with a 25 year age limit instead of 18.  

Preventing gun violence -- as opposed to intervening with counter-violence to stop it once it's already racking up a body count -- is the obvious and common-sense way to limit this bullshittery.  But we make it easier for an 18 year old to acquire an arsenal than to buy a single Bud Light.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

On the mass shooting scoreboard for 2022, we're at Bad Guys with Guns, 352 -- Good Guys with Guns, 1.   

Its uncommon but it's not that uncommon. This is the 2nd I've heard about since Uvalde.  The other was a woman in Charleston WV with a handgun stopping a man with an AR15. He started shooting into a crowd of 40 people and she dropped his ass. No one was injured other than the asshole. It got zero coverage on CNN, NBC, or MSNBC.

Per washingtonpost, 3% of 433 attacks from 2000 to 2021 were stopped by armed civilians. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rare-in-us-for-an-active-shooter-to-be-stopped-by-bystander/2022/07/18/daf2b5f0-06e6-11ed-80b6-43f2bfcc6662_story.html

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fantastic.  Who among us wouldn't place our hope and, literally, our lives, on a bet that has a......3% chance of paying off?

I've been rooting for UT football since 1982.  In that time, they've won 2.5% of the possible national titles.  I'll round it up to 3%, so to answer your question . . . me?

Dammit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, B00M said:

Its uncommon but it's not that uncommon. This is the 2nd I've heard about since Uvalde.  The other was a woman in Charleston WV with a handgun stopping a man with an AR15. He started shooting into a crowd of 40 people and she dropped his ass. No one was injured other than the asshole. It got zero coverage on CNN, NBC, or MSNBC.

Per washingtonpost, 3% of 433 attacks from 2000 to 2021 were stopped by armed civilians. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rare-in-us-for-an-active-shooter-to-be-stopped-by-bystander/2022/07/18/daf2b5f0-06e6-11ed-80b6-43f2bfcc6662_story.html

Sutherland Springs was also stopped by an armed civilian.... after 26 people were murdered in a church.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Great. 

Can we count on there being a kid with more balls than the cops around when the next guy shows up at a Texas Wal-Mart to exterminate Mexicans?  Nope.

Can we count on the cops stepping in?  Nope.

Can we count on meaningful gun laws in one state doing jack shit when just across the border in another state, an 18 year old can buy enough ARs and ammo to outfit a battalion?  Nope.

Gosh, if only there were some things we could do to prevent clearly psychopathic 18 year old males from acquiring an AR.  Man, I WONDER what we could do?

Oh, and by the way, even our shitty gun laws actually worked here.  How, you ask?  Because that school wasn't shot up by a 17 year old psycho.  That's what he wanted; he TRIED to get an AR before he turned 18, but couldn't.  Now, imagine the exact same law....but with a 25 year age limit instead of 18.  

Preventing gun violence -- as opposed to intervening with counter-violence to stop it once it's already racking up a body count -- is the obvious and common-sense way to limit this bullshittery.  But we make it easier for an 18 year old to acquire an arsenal than to buy a single Bud Light.

1. Good point about the 18 year old limit stopping him prior to trying to acquire guns. Hadn't really put that together despite knowing about it.

2. Guess where the next GOP legislation push is going to be? If a good guy with a gun is what's needed at all time... why don't we make everyone open carry when in public?

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

TinyDarkHorsemouse-max-1mb.gif

Apart from UT games, my favorite games to watch from that era were OU/A&M and TT/A&M. That was appointment television.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

why don't we make everyone open carry when in public?

Oh, that's coming.  And the cool thing is, it's been done before.  With a super-nifty ethos behind it: The Security Act of 1739 in S. Carolina.  It required all white men to carry a weapon to protect against.....potential slave revolts.

We're running full tilt to Make America Retrograde Again, I fully expect to see a law requiring all adults to carry a firearm out of the Texas legislature within the next two sessions.

54 minutes ago, B00M said:

Well did you think Republicans could form a national policy without a 3% foundation of proven success!  Arm the teachers, more mental health! Even though we go out of our way to cut it at every opportunity.  The fact we can't even prevent unstable kids who can't even be trusted to buy a beer a weapon so lethal it leaves more than 350 armed police officers staying down the hallway for safety.  

I have no problem having folks kill other killers.  But allowing the folks that really want to kill a lot of people and have more firepower than the police they will encounter, are embraced with bloody hands by the GOP after these events.  Simply as you can't get even perfectly reasonable gun legislation on background checks passed.  Freedom for the mentally unbalanced to buy AR15's their senior year of high school is what is important.  

And yes I am certain that Fox News heavily covered the 3% scenario. While perhaps a lot of other media sources may have indeed have a lot more focus on the 97% scenario.  

On 7/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, Red Five said:

Now I'm no cop. But what if, someone throws a rock through one of the back windows. When the shooter focuses his attention on the window, come through the front door and shoot him. Or a million other ways of distracting him briefly. 

Maybe that's what they ultimately did, I don't know.

1724369246_etbass.jpg.1db29ca00c67296261cd79013fcf1640.jpg

(I'm obviously behind on this thread)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

Dumbest.

Fucking.

Timeline.

It’s so dumb because probably 99% of the time, the good guy with a gun hides like a pussy and doesn’t make a difference. 

4 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s so dumb because probably 99% of the time, the good guy with a gun hides like a pussy and doesn’t make a difference. 

Excuse me sir, it's been established that the GGWAG hides like a pussy no more than 97% of the time

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, B00M said:

The reason I call bullshit on this.

How many of these hardcore masculine tough conservative men would willingly undergo a surgical procedure with a less than 2% chance of success and the potential for lots of complications?

23 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

The reason I call bullshit on this.

How many of these hardcore masculine tough conservative men would willingly undergo a surgical procedure with a less than 2% chance of success and the potential for lots of complications?

I dunno. Does it own the libs?

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

young male attacking with a high-powered rifle.

But again, and I think it’s really important in the context of this thread, it’s not just any “high powered rifle.”
like the Las Vegas shooter and others he had other options and used the AR-15 specifically. This is part of what makes this such an intractable issue. Just as both the anti-gun and pro-gun factions dance around the topic of mental health as if either gave a fuck, they also refuse to engage the specifics of a problematic product and why that particular thing, which is neither the best or only choice in the category is the tool of choice. 

Of the many dishonest and myopic elements of this kayfabe debate, this is right up there. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Does this mean Kyle Rittenhouse is or isn’t coming?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

But again, and I think it’s really important in the context of this thread, it’s not just any “high powered rifle.”
like the Las Vegas shooter and others he had other options and used the AR-15 specifically. This is part of what makes this such an intractable issue. Just as both the anti-gun and pro-gun factions dance around the topic of mental health as if either gave a fuck, they also refuse to engage the specifics of a problematic product and why that particular thing, which is neither the best or only choice in the category is the tool of choice. 

Of the many dishonest and myopic elements of this kayfabe debate, this is right up there. 

Ted Cruz will argue that the media wrongfully always wants to make this a political issue even though he get's paid by the NRA, making it a political issue.   Some may say that this would put him as a conflict of interest but he's elected to not give a shit.  When lives were on the line before, he was ready to board for Mexico.   

22 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If a person wants to shoot as many children as quickly and as efficiently as possible, there is a weapon for that.  And we won't ban it and hesitate to regulate its purchase.   Seems like this should require some kind of maximum oversight.  You want it?  Great, you're going into a data base that tracks your behaviors because of the chances its use on citizens will far outweigh it ever defending against the government.  That's just sane policy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, Helobious said:

Not doing a rah rah  gun post...   This is a holy shit, that cant be real post, its a borderline Navy SEAL shooting story.

I saw this TV article talking about the autopsy of the shooter.   I am posting it because the citizen shooter with no formal training other than his grandfather having trained him to shoot, shot 10 rounds in 7 seconds at the shooter.... FROM 40 FUCKING YARDS AWAY. and hit the fucker 8 out of 10 fucking shots.  thats not a lucky shot anymore. that kid can fucking shoot. 

that is considered an UNREAL hit rate in a true fight or flight situation with a pistol from 10 yards away.  

This guy had a 80% hit rate, did it in ~7 seconds from FORTY YARDS away. 

warning the news segment is clearly a pro-gun take  but the main autopsy details start at about the 40 second mark.

none of this shit makes up for the loss of 3 innocent lives of folks just going to the mall to shop and grab a bite to eat.   so fucking infuriating we keep having the same fucking debate about the same fucking gun thats responsible for a fuckton of these shootings. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hmm the way the cops told it, he hit him with the first shot from 40 yards, and moved in closer once the shooter tried crawling back into the bathroom (in case you needed more evidence that most of the shooters are tactically inept, inexperienced cowards that should be outmatched by one cop no matter how much superior firepower they have). Finished the job from a closer range. He was a great shot but 8 hits with a handgun from that far at a target shooting back at you would be superhuman. 

David Hogg, doing work:

I would love for these representatives just to play social media videos of mass shootings. Play the Parkland video from inside the classroom as the gun is going off in the hall. Play Uvalde with the gunshots and the sound of children screaming NOT edited out.

43 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I would love for these representatives just to play social media videos of mass shootings. Play the Parkland video from inside the classroom as the gun is going off in the hall. Play Uvalde with the gunshots and the sound of children screaming NOT edited out.

It won't make a shit even if they had to watch live go pro videos from the shooters perspective. They don't care at all to do anything about it and disrupt their status quo or anger their gun nut base.