Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

As per Channel 5 Dallas, 37-year-old woman was dropped off at airport where she entered a restroom inside. She changed into a hoody and came out with a gun and started shooting at the ceiling. DPD officer engaged her and shot her in a lower extremity and she's now receiving treatment at Parkland. Nobody else injured at the scene. Weird.

Airport ticketing counters and baggage claim are such soft targets.  I like I am sure the rest of you await the solution that we need to go through security before ever entering the airport and close off all proximate roads so that you haul your bags a half mile just to get in line to get in the door.  

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

As per Channel 5 Dallas, 37-year-old woman was dropped off at airport where she entered a restroom inside. She changed into a hoody and came out with a gun and started shooting at the ceiling. DPD officer engaged her and shot her in a lower extremity and she's now receiving treatment at Parkland. Nobody else injured at the scene. Weird.

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Airport ticketing counters and baggage claim are such soft targets.  I like I am sure the rest of you await the solution that we need to go through security before ever entering the airport and close off all proximate roads so that you haul your bags a half mile just to get in line to get in the door.  

Do you know how many god damn doors there are in an airport?!?!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Why do you hate freedom and Jesus?

24 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

IAH getting ahead of the issue

Edited by elfenix

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

dude IAH has gotten super fucked up from all the construction. Back in April it took me damn near an hour to get from my long term parking to a terminal on the shuttle (normally 5-10 mins at worst), and then I still had to walk 20 minutes to my actual terminal that I departed from. Wasn't as bad in late June a few weeks ago, but I've started preferring flying out of Hobby if I can still get a direct flight

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

dude IAH has gotten super fucked up from all the construction. Back in April it took me damn near an hour to get from my long term parking to a terminal on the shuttle (normally 5-10 mins at worst), and then I still had to walk 20 minutes to my actual terminal that I departed from. Wasn't as bad in late June a few weeks ago, but I've started preferring flying out of Hobby if I can still get a direct flight

And they waited until after the Covid drop had got back to (mostly) normal to start construction.  Leaving is the worst now, though seemed to get a bit better about a month ago.  

30 minutes ago, Captainant said:

dunno why they didn't ban private traffic.  buses/shuttles only, everyone gets dropped at ecopark2 (which is used only for this, no parking), or one of the private parking lots. 

Edited by elfenix

On 7/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I've been rooting for UT football since 1982.  In that time, they've won 2.5% of the possible national titles.  I'll round it up to 3%, so to answer your question . . . me?

Dammit.

lol, Conference championships since Mack Brown started are not much better.

Just took Active Shooter Preparedness training at work today.

What a fucking world where professionals working in an office have to watch videos on how to apply tourniquets to wounded coworkers and being taught to leave everyone behind to save yourself. The retired FBI guy narrating said the only thing worse than one wounded is two wounded. Leave your coworker behind and GTFO.

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

What a fucking world where professionals working in an office have to watch videos on how to apply tourniquets to wounded coworkers and being taught to leave everyone behind to save yourself. The retired FBI guy narrating said the only thing worse than one wounded is two wounded. Leave your coworker behind and GTFO.

I had to do one and it even talked about potential weapons in the restaurant you could use to attack the shooter...

Like hey,  you're in a gunfight... find a knife! 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Everyone should know that stuff. Not saying it does not suck, but why not learn something? And he is correct. I cannot help you if I am also hit. 

I carry a tourniquet in all my bags. I hate that. 

Since I apparently hate myself, I occasionally check Fox to read comments on story.  Since this one involved a black person who had been previously accused of a crime, knew it’d be slimy…but seems a way to keep a pulse on that community. 

There are literally hundreds of comments about ‘different puzzle, same answer Pat’ and ‘can’t tell which snakes are poisonous so in nature you avoid them all’.  

So veiled racist comments about Wheel of Fortune and poisonous snakes are the latest RW ‘jokes’?  Yeah sometimes they get over accused of being bots, but if those aren’t semi-automated comments then those folks surely get all in line quickly to post the same drivel. 

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, SKJ said:

I had to do one and it even talked about potential weapons in the restaurant you could use to attack the shooter...

Ha my active shooter training had a picture of a guy holding a fire extinguisher as a weapon. 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:49 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Just as both the anti-gun and pro-gun factions dance around the topic of mental health as if either gave a fuck

Well, that's the god's honest truth.

it’s not just any “high powered rifle.”
like the Las Vegas shooter and others he had other options and used the AR-15 specifically...they also refuse to engage the specifics of a problematic product and why that particular thing, which is neither the best or only choice in the category is the tool of choice. 

There is nothing uniquely problematic about the design of the AR-15. There are many many many rifles that share the same functional attributes, and a long list of semi-autos that would arguably be better suited to conduct a mass shooting with. The AR is a cheap and simple firearm, which is why it is the most popular rifle in America.  The more compelling aspect of the post you responded to, imo, was that yet again an age restriction to purchase a semi-auto rifle would have disrupted the specific chain of events leading up to the shooting.   

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well, that's the god's honest truth.

There is nothing uniquely problematic about the design of the AR-15. There are many many many rifles that share the same functional attributes, and a long list of semi-autos that would arguably be better suited to conduct a mass shooting with. The AR is a cheap and simple firearm, which is why it is the most popular rifle in America.  The more compelling aspect of the post you responded to, imo, was that yet again an age restriction to purchase a semi-auto rifle would have disrupted the specific chain of events leading up to the shooting.   

OOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRR.......... just move everything semi-auto or anything with the ability to accept a magazine to the Class III NFA list and keep the current process in place. Use the new found tax stamp money to expand staff to process the apps. 

Absolutely need a pistol today? Buy a wheel gun. 6 shots is plenty.  Need a shotgun? Plenty of break action and pump guns on the market. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRR.......... just move everything semi-auto or anything with the ability to accept a magazine to the Class III NFA list and keep the current process in place. Use the new found tax stamp money to expand staff to process the apps. 

Absolutely need a pistol today? Buy a wheel gun. 6 shots is plenty.  Need a shotgun? Plenty of break action and pump guns on the market. 

I don't love this idea, but if we went there I think it should be limited to semi-auto rifles and that the fees associated with the stamp need to be removed or significantly reduced. A couple issues that you probably want to make sure that you are comfortable with. The potential unintended consequence of moving the most popular rifle platform to the NFA list is that you may ultimately make NFA weapons more broadly accessible. People who would not fuck around with the process otherwise for a suppressor or an automatic weapon will line up and familiarize themselves with the process, and the ATF will be forced to resource the process and e-filing will take off. You will introduce a barrier to entry for people that want an SA rifle, but in the end will end up making suppressors and auto-sears and fully autos more accessible over time, imo. The other issue is the mechanism for grandfathering.  It was one thing to process the grandfathering applications in 1934, in 2022 there would be ~25-30MM+ rifles (lets ballpark 100+MM SAs if you include handguns and shotguns) that would have to be grandfathered. 

There is a lot to work out there.

Far more straightfoward imo to just raise the age for purchase of SA rifles to 25 and require universal background checks at no charge.  

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't love this idea, but if we went there I think it should be limited to semi-auto rifles and that the fees associated with the stamp need to be removed or significantly reduced. A couple issues that you probably want to make sure that you are comfortable with. The potential unintended consequence of moving the most popular rifle platform to the NFA list is that you may ultimately make NFA weapons more broadly accessible. People who would not fuck around with the process otherwise for a suppressor or an automatic weapon will line up and familiarize themselves with the process, and the ATF will be forced to resource the process and e-filing will take off. You will introduce a barrier to entry for people that want an SA rifle, but in the end will end up making suppressors and auto-sears and fully autos more accessible over time, imo. The other issue is the mechanism for grandfathering.  It was one thing to process the grandfathering applications in 1934, in 2022 there would be ~25-30MM+ rifles (lets ballpark 100+MM SAs if you include handguns and shotguns) that would have to be grandfathered. 

There is a lot to work out there.

Far more straightfoward imo to just raise the age for purchase of SA rifles to 25 and require universal background checks at no charge.  

School and mall shooters aren't spending the money on full autos or an auto sear. Hell, you can buy M16 LPKs for $100 online. It has yet to be an issue but that's something else I would change. M16/full auto LPKs should only be available through an FFL with proof of tax stamp.

I also don't buy the reasoning for not doing it because "it's going to make NFA weapons more broadly accessible". Someone in the market for a $1500 AR isn't going to start looking into the NFA process and be like "Oh, let me just up my budget by 10x/20x and buy an M16". Supressors? Maybe but who cares. 

This would be in addition to also raising the SA age limit to 25.

Edited by Hmbre97

12 hours ago, SKJ said:

Back man....   Don't make me throw this red Swingline stapler at you!

• Haha 1

Just as both the anti-gun and pro-gun factions dance around the topic of mental health as if either gave a fuck, they also refuse to engage the specifics of a problematic product and why that particular thing, which is neither the best or only choice in the category is the tool of choice. 

Good post. That a problem may have more than one root issue makes it seemingly unfathomable for the US electorate.

News outlets think of their viewers as idiots and don't want to confuse them. Mass shooting > what kind of gun?> where was it purchased?  > Let's call in the usual suspects rattle on about the political prospects of passing gun control. Full stop.

Military rifle enthusiasists/mass shooting enablers:   It's not the weapon> Don't make this political/T&P > The real problem is mental health which we don't care about  >  you're just trying to disarm us so the gubmint can....> run out the clock.

Idiot World.

The AR needs to be outlawed. It's obvious. It's simple. 

Why do so many Americans have gun fetishes? Why the hell do American malcontents want to slaughter people they don't know before dying themselves? It's complicated. It's mental health. It's likely something to do with culture. Let's look into it. Give it a try. 

Two weeks go by and it's back to football, shopping, Trump, and... you get the picture.

52 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

School and mall shooters aren't spending the money on full autos or an auto sear. Hell, you can buy M16 LPKs for $100 online. It has yet to be an issue but that's something else I would change. M16/full auto LPKs should only be available through an FFL with proof of tax stamp.

I also don't buy the reasoning for not doing it because "it's going to make NFA weapons more broadly accessible". Someone in the market for a $1500 AR isn't going to start looking into the NFA process and be like "Oh, let me just up my budget by 10x/20x and buy an M16". Supressors? Maybe but who cares. 

This would be in addition to also raising the SA age limit to 25.

I certainly agree that the price entry points for grandfathered FAs is a significant barrier for the time being. Blast from the past, here's the passage of the Hughes amendment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Mx2UcSEvQ&t=111s  Rangel doing work. The amendment was intended to be poison pill, but NRA and Reagan moved forward with it inserted as a trade off for the broader FOPA wins as they saw it. LOL. Is the Hughes amendment a good target for a SCOTUS challenge, not sure.  You want to roll those dice with this SCOTUS by using the NFA as the mechanism to control SAs and putting it under extreme political crosshairs? Bold strategy, imo. Beyond MGs, it also covers SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, explosives, destructive devices.  

Raise the age limit and go to no-cost background checks required for all transfers.  No need to layer on tax stamps, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Good post. That a problem may have more than one root issue makes it seemingly unfathomable for the US electorate.

News outlets think of their viewers as idiots and don't want to confuse them. Mass shooting > what kind of gun?> where was it purchased?  > Let's call in the usual suspects rattle on about the political prospects of passing gun control. Full stop.

Military rifle enthusiasists/mass shooting enablers:   It's not the weapon> Don't make this political/T&P > The real problem is mental health which we don't care about  >  you're just trying to disarm us so the gubmint can....> run out the clock.

Idiot World.

The AR needs to be outlawed. It's obvious. It's simple. 

Why do so many Americans have gun fetishes? Why the hell do American malcontents want to slaughter people they don't know before dying themselves? It's complicated. It's mental health. It's likely something to do with culture. Let's look into it. Give it a try. 

Two weeks go by and it's back to football, shopping, Trump, and... you get the picture.

Outlawing ARs is possible but not probable. I think the only common ground to be found is adding hurdles to getting them. Age restrictions, licensing, etc is about as far as you’ll get the voters you need to pass anything substantial. We aren’t putting that genie back in the bottle, and there’s way too much money in the system steering politicians away from any action at all. Even with strong majority support of restrictions, plenty of politicians will steer around the issue and be protected by gerrymandering or bigger social issues driving single party voters. Our shit is broken. 

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I certainly agree that the price entry points for grandfathered FAs is a significant barrier for the time being. Blast from the past, here's the passage of the Hughes amendment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Mx2UcSEvQ&t=111s  Rangel doing work. The amendment was intended to be poison pill, but NRA and Reagan moved forward with it inserted as a trade off for the broader FOPA wins as they saw it. LOL. Is the Hughes amendment a good target for a SCOTUS challenge, not sure.  You want to roll those dice with this SCOTUS by using the NFA as the mechanism to control SAs and putting it under extreme political crosshairs? Bold strategy, imo. Beyond MGs, it also covers SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, explosives, destructive devices.  

Raise the age limit and go to no-cost background checks required for all transfers.  No need to layer on tax stamps, imo. 

I personally don't think adding SAs to the NFA would make the hughes amendment or even the NFA any more of a target for the SCOTUS compared to today. However, if they want to go down that road and try to go after the NFA, FAFO. I wouldn't put it past the whackadoos on the court right now but they're already treading on thin ice after Dobbs. They'd find their asses with 4 new friends to hang out with on the bench. 

Gosh, it's impossible to imagine that ballistics experts could bound the problem such that we could effectively ban the sale of components that allow high rate high lethality shootings to occur.  I mean, we've only been producing rifled weapons for, oh, 500+ years.

Ah well, nevertheless.

Fuck off with this "it isn't even the best weapon for the job" bullshit.  OK, ban those weapons too.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

So you have found a flaw in his thinking.  Great so come back with a solution  rather than a smart ass response.  "Hey so you realize there are a lot of bolt action deer rifles that can accept a magazine so maybe a tweak to what you propose might be to set that rule in such a way that addresses that, be it a capacity limit an exclusion for bolt action or something along those lines."

If you worked for me and we were tasked with solving this problem and that was your response to a proposed idea  I would tell you to either get the fuck out of my office until you have a solution to suggest to the issue you raised  or just tell me you have zero interest in solving the problem.  

Ding ding ding ding. 

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

just tell me you have zero interest in solving the problem.  

SA rifles have been around a whole lot longer than this has been a problem.  I can scapegoat whatever you want. But call it what it is, a scapegoat boogeyman, and not pretend it’s a solution. 

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

SA rifles have been around a whole lot longer than this has been a problem.  I can scapegoat whatever you want. But call it what it is, a scapegoat boogeyman, and not pretend it’s a solution. 

Yea history isn't littered at all with things that had to be/were dealt with that when they initially existed were not a problem but as society/civilization evolved/devolved became a problem.  

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Outlawing ARs is possible but not probable.

I know, my friend. My point is that it's the obvious move, but our idiotic discourse and simple mindedness creates a stupid obstacle. 

We've been over the reasons given for resistance a zillion times. It's an exercise in stupefying obstinance.

There's a hole in the boat.

Let's plug the hole.

No, let's bail out the water. 

We have to make a choice, people! 

It's not the hole that's the problem; it's the water rushing through it. There is no fundamental problem with holes. Windows are holes. Golf courses have holes. By and large, holes are harmless. It's the water that makes the hole dangerous. Let's consider bailing. Any volunteers for that hard labor?

No!

Well then, I guess we're at loggerheads. Fortunately, it's only one hole. It's not likely we'll have another.

There's another hole! We're sinking!

Let's plug the hole.

No, let's bail the water...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

Not a gun guy, but I found this interesting:

The Gun Industry Created a New Consumer. Now It’s Killing Us.

Americans are rightly anguished by gun violence and the question of what’s motivating the young men who have committed a succession of horrific mass murders. We seem to be fumbling around for answers: Is it racism and radicalization, or untreated mental illness, or toxic video games, or too-easy access to guns? All of these may be parts of the problem, but equally none of them makes complete sense outside of the larger context: The gun industry’s modern marketing effort did not just arm these shooters; in a very real sense, it created them.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Gosh, it's impossible to imagine that ballistics experts could bound the problem such that we could effectively ban the sale of components that allow high rate high lethality shootings to occur.  I mean, we've only been producing rifled weapons for, oh, 500+ years.

Ah well, nevertheless.

Fuck off with this "it isn't even the best weapon for the job" bullshit.  OK, ban those weapons too.

Don’t you even think about starting another bullet debate. Sweatergawd  I’ll cut you. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets