Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

18 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is horrifying.  The rumor is it was the escalation of a domestic dispute.  

The US has a gun problem.  We are the only society on the planet where people believe reaching for a fucking gun is the solution.  It's disgusting.

MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- As the investigation continues into the mass shooting that occurred at a Monterey Park dance studio late Saturday night, a prominent member of the community with the Chinese Chamber of Commerce believes the suspect's possible motive may be related to a domestic dispute.

Community leader Chester Chong told ABC7 that the owner of the dance studio on West Garvey Avenue was holding an event there on Saturday. Through talking with friends that were in attendance and other local leaders, he said a woman was invited to the event but not her husband, which made him upset. Chong said he believes that woman's husband is the suspect in this case and jealousy may be a possible motive for the shooting.

https://abc7.com/monterey-park-mass-shooting-suspect-possible-motive-investigation/12725931/

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- As the investigation continues into the mass shooting that occurred at a Monterey Park dance studio late Saturday night, a prominent member of the community with the Chinese Chamber of Commerce believes the suspect's possible motive may be related to a domestic dispute.

Community leader Chester Chong told ABC7 that the owner of the dance studio on West Garvey Avenue was holding an event there on Saturday. Through talking with friends that were in attendance and other local leaders, he said a woman was invited to the event but not her husband, which made him upset. Chong said he believes that woman's husband is the suspect in this case and jealousy may be a possible motive for the shooting.

https://abc7.com/monterey-park-mass-shooting-suspect-possible-motive-investigation/12725931/

I can see why he wasn't invited.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The US has a gun problem.  We are the only society on the planet where people believe reaching for a fucking gun is the solution.  It's disgusting.

It's really that fucking simple.

I harp on our mythology, but look at the stories we continually tell overselves: kill the bad guy.

Just is slow. Kill the bad guy yourself.

Anyone you are opposed to is an enemy/bad guy. If you get angry enough, kill the bad guy.

The Wild West? Kill the bad guy.

Are our opponents in war called "the enemy?" No. We call them bad guys.

Conflicts are black/white. Good vs Evil. America always good by definition.

Solutions to absolute positions must also be absolute. Kill the bad guy.

It's self-inflicted, addictive insanity. 

I'm angry, I think I'll kill ten people and spray a bunch of others.

Such sentiment can only be common here in the gun culture. I'm ashamed to be part of it.

image.png.75ccfda1a1d150e96468fe17da68d38b.png

What are these clowns doing? 

Prepare to breach the vehicle!

Go! Go! Go!

We're inside! 

Front seat, CLEAR!

Storage area, CLEAR!

Great job Team 1!

Thanks, sir. We were lucky this time. Uh, one other thing. Can we get some backup?

Right away! Team 2 prepare to go in to render support!

Team 1 again, sir. Actually we got 6 guys stuck in this thing and need assistance getting out.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

But, of course, right after a mass shooting is not the tim to talk about it. 

36 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Go! Go! Go!

We're inside! 

Front seat, CLEAR!

Storage area, CLEAR!

Great job Team 1!

Thanks, sir. We were lucky this time. Uh, one other thing. Can we get some backup?

Team 1 again, sir. Actually we got 6 guys stuck in this thing and need assistance getting out.

That’s not your standard two-by-two cover formation. 

• Haha 2

This may belong in another thread IDK but with the fight for second amendment not looking like any headway will be made towards sensible control, why cant or don't the Dems ban ammo or tax the ever living shit out of it. Nothing in second amendment says anyone has a right to buy ammo make it extremally difficult if not impossible to acquire

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The LAPD absolutely shouldn't have deadly weapons.  Same with NYPD.  Both have a bad tendency to escalate and kill innocent people.

Sorry, but that's absurd and entirely impractical.  The violence that occurs on the streets every day in this city could not be properly policed by cops with night sticks.  Same with NYC and any other major metropolis.  If all the perps were equally unarmed, fine, but that's not reality, and to think otherwise is naïve and almost childish.

• Hook 'Em 4

21 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Go! Go! Go!

We're inside! 

Front seat, CLEAR!

Storage area, CLEAR!

Great job Team 1!

seriously. if you are going to dress up, at least try to look the fucking part.

if there was a dangerous perp in that van bent on killing those cops, they made it super fucking easy.

jesus.

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

seriously. if you are going to dress up, at least try to look the fucking part.

if there was a dangerous perp in that van bent on killing those cops, they made it super fucking easy.

jesus.

Yea. I have no military or police experience but I see two huge problems with how those idiots are deployed.

1. They could all be shot or blown up from inside the van. I assume an assault rifle firing military rounds could pierce the thin skin of the van to hose down the guys doing the Aggie squeeze formation right on the other side. Worse, what if Joe Murderer had a bomb or a couple of gallons of gas in the back? Kablooey.

2. The squad has all their weapons' barrels placed obliquely against the metal skin of the van. Of course, they don't want their weapons pointed at the backs of their associates. However, what happens if one of those rifle fires a bullet? It likely skips off the surface of the van and hits a man closer to the front or pierces the skin of the van then the windshield to go God knows where.

Truly stupid looking even to this layperson.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

soon as i saw the lunar new year shooting, i told my wife it was something more mentally ill than angry and that i'd bet the person won't fit the profile of angry young usually white guy. and that probably people would use that for political hay either way instead of pointing out the device used (a gun) and the person wielding it (probably mentally ill).

sure enough.

what do i win?

another school shooting?

fucking a, america. fucking a.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Sorry, but that's absurd and entirely impractical.  The violence that occurs on the streets every day in this city could not be properly policed by cops with night sticks.  Same with NYC and any other major metropolis.  If all the perps were equally unarmed, fine, but that's not reality, and to think otherwise is naïve and almost childish.

It's not properly policed now so I guess we should give the cops nukes and railguns instead.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2023 at 3:52 PM, RomaVicta said:

Go! Go! Go!

We're inside! 

Front seat, CLEAR!

Storage area, CLEAR!

Great job Team 1!

This the same Gravy Seals Team that was in Uvalde?

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sigh.  How to even respond to this?  I won't bother.

I'm just, hyperbolically, saying militarization of the police doesn't really make anything better. They could do pretty much all of their job with non-lethals. But hey, I guess why try to de-escalate, disarm or use a taser when you can just magdump instead.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm just, hyperbolically, saying militarization of the police doesn't really make anything better. They could do pretty much all of their job with non-lethals. But hey, I guess why try to de-escalate, disarm or use a taser when you can just magdump instead.

And I’m just saying trying to police a city like Los Angeles with entirely non-lethal is absurdly unrealistic.  It just is.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Beat cops shouldn’t have guns.  They aren’t trained properly to respond, period.  I’m not opposed to specific, specialty units of cops having guns that go through rigorous training, but until beat cops know how to respond to situations, they shouldn’t have them period.  Signed someone who lives in NYC currently and has lived in LA, NOLA, and Houston.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

This one hits close to home. I play in a band based in HMB, was just down there rehearsiing last night and had reports of this coming in while it was happening in real time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/least-4-killed-northern-california-012902264.html

“HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (AP) — Seven people were killed in two related shootings Monday at a mushroom farm and a trucking firm in a coastal community south of San Francisco, and a suspect was in custody, officials said.”

I’ve listened to Truckin’ while on mushrooms before so that hits close to home for me too. 

• Haha 1

The hardest part of living in the midst of such carnage is to hear people say there’s nothing we can do to stop it. Is gun idolatry really that strong?
So when the debt ceiling debate really gets going and the country is held hostage by the "it's a mental health issue" crowd, what are the chances that they demand that cuts be made to mental health services?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, tchookem said:
49 minutes ago, Satchel said:
The hardest part of living in the midst of such carnage is to hear people say there’s nothing we can do to stop it. Is gun idolatry really that strong?

So when the debt ceiling debate really gets going and the country is held hostage by the "it's a mental health issue" crowd, what are the chances that they demand that cuts be made to mental health services?

Same disconnect that makes it possible to be concerned about fentanyl threatening our youth, while thinking nothing of the gun carnage that takes place every day in this country. It’s George Santos crazy.