Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

11 hours ago, HornPhD said:

If you’re referring to the mass shooting in CO, that happened last night. Fucking crazy that it’s not all over the news or social media. Talk about desensitization. 

Even better, the shooter was an active member of the alt-right community, including the circle-jerk of personal grievances, and the murders he committed APPEAR to be connected to personal/business grievances and disputes he had.

So, it's a one-two punch of the awesome things about our gun culture: guns are awesome and make you manly and are a problem-solver, and we are aggrieved and bullied by the deep state or whatever, and they deserve what's coming to them.

It's weird that it's happening in the week of Christmas but no Christians I know are brining it up as a senseless loss of life that we need heavenly guidance for.

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's weird that it's happening in the week of Christmas but no Christians I know are brining it up as a senseless loss of life that we need heavenly guidance for.

They’re waiting for the background checks on the victims before commenting.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

This motherfucker spelled it all out in his “novels” - including naming two of the actual victims!

How the actual fuck was he allowed to buy guns? And not be charged with anything at all in his targeting and harassment of these people?

He is a white man. He is a hero of the GQP base. The GQP purposefully fans the flames that exploded here for political gain.

When you start to think of the GQP as an actual terrorist organization, it all fucking makes sense. And the GQP’s descent into that madness happened the same way many such things proceed: slowly, and then all at once.

This is a movement that violently attacked our country, and has given every indication that it will do so again and again until they succeed in overthrowing the government. If they were a Muslim group, we’d have hit them with 10,000 drone strikes, and we’d be reloading to launch 10,000 more. They are not just an existential threat - they are going to succeed at killing us.
  • Hook 'Em 3

It's an unfortunate outlet, but Daily Mail actually has some decent reporting on the books and the shooter's mental illness/brainworms. Dude lived in a shipping container up on a mountain. Pics from the article in spoiler to avoid longcat:

Spoiler

52320113-10351893-image-a-78_16407581258

52320105-10351893-image-a-79_16407581817

52320133-10351893-McLeod_frequently_prof

52321305-10351893-image-a-85_16407584488

He apparently viewed his books as his creative outlet, and ranted about how emasculated men are nowadays.

McLeod, in a 2020 interview on YouTube - now taken down - said the book was about 'our masculinity and the way we interact,' looking at religion, genetics and culture.

He described it on Twitter, in an account dormant since June 2020, as: 'The book that philosophizes with a Jack-Hammer.'

'I tend to look at the world in threes. I'll look at the world currently, then the world below it and the world above it,' he said in the YouTube interview in March 2020.

'You have the terrestrial plane, then the sub level, then the atmosphere.'

McLeod added: 'I consider myself an artist first, and then a man interested in ideas and culture second.'

McLeod, in 2020, ranted on Twitter about emasculated men, and praised boxer Mike Tyson as a role model.

He also quoted Donald Trump as saying: 'You have to dominate. If you don't dominate, you're wasting your time.'  

McLeod said: 'Our entire society is made up of sh**** little f**** who insult badasses & get away with it because law enforcement & social norms protect the WEAK from the STRONG,' he tweeted.

'I'm over it.

'The weak better buckle up... s*** is about to get real.' 

Really makes you wonder why DPD didn't take action against this dude, despite him coming up on their radar multiple times and being investigated.

Just imagine if this guy wasn't white - an arab dude living in the mountains collecting guns and publishing books about murdering people for being weak... Can't imagine he would've had the chance to act on his illness.

Just a vignette to capture how f’d up our “gun culture” has become.

I’ve been buying ammo at sporting goods stores for nearly 40 years. At places like Academy, there’s always been a full variety on the shelves - .22, .308, 30/06, all of it.

We were going to the range today for a family afternoon of shooting. Mostly .22, but also some .308 and 12 gauge. So, I swing by academy to see if they have any (I had some, but wouldn’t mind a bit more). They had jack squat. A little bit of low grade .22, a few random rifle calibers that few people shoot. But they DID have ammo. They had thousands and thousands of rounds of 5.56. If you shoot an AR, you are THE target demographic for Academy. You, and nobody else. When it comes to ammo, we have turned into a “we have AR ammo, and everyone else can get fucked - or get an AR of you’d like to shoot in the future.” We have become an AR-or-nothing gun culture, and that’s happened in the last 20 years….it really accelerated in the past 5-10 years.

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We were going to the range today for a family afternoon of shooting. Mostly .22, but also some .308 and 12 gauge. So, I swing by academy to see if they have any (I had some, but wouldn’t mind a bit more). They had jack squat. A little bit of low grade .22, a few random rifle calibers that few people shoot. But they DID have ammo. They had thousands and thousands of rounds of 5.56. If you shoot an AR, you are THE target demographic for Academy. You, and nobody else. When it comes to ammo, we have turned into a “we have AR ammo, and everyone else can get fucked - or get an AR of you’d like to shoot in the future.” We have become an AR-or-nothing gun culture, and that’s happened in the last 20 years….it really accelerated in the past 5-10 years.

This is not on point. I’ve been following it extremely close since the shortage, mainly because I’m a shooter that doesn’t hoard ammo. There was a point where you could find anything but 556. Then it got saturated. In fact most hunting calibers have been gone, then plentiful, then gone again. You couldn’t find a brick of .22 for months, now everywhere you look. The big manufacturers are also trying to pump out the most popular cartridges while making smaller runs of the oddballs (what I shoot), and geared up for hunting season in time to get it into hunters’ hands. You’ll likely see regular deer calibers tighten back up while 9mm/40/12 ga ramps back up. You’ll see it if you follow online retailers like midway, too.

It’s been a funky market for awhile and there are legit market trends. That’s not even diving into the secondary and tertiary markets that were seeing 100%+ markups for months, successfully. We had the same 20 guys camping out front of my academy for nearly a year, just reselling on gunbroker. Not hard to make some folding money if you had the time and was a pos. I’ve got most of my rifles dialed into specific rounds, the ones that like factory stuff anyhow.  There’s still a ton I can’t find at any retailer. I can find something close, and be fine, but not what I would buy if we were back in a normal market. Some of the specific loads just aren’t being produced right now because they can’t catch up.  I believe it will come back eventually. 

The AR is extremely popular, but you missed it on this one, imo.  Sucks you couldn’t find any 22 today. We’ve had the opposite, tons of high end CCI and Norma .22 and some regular shit bricks, but they still haven’t brought back my REM Match 40’s that my target rifle loves.  They just aren’t being produced.  I just got some 30-30 last week after almost a year of searching. Still not what I was looking for but they just aren’t being produced at moment  

• Hook 'Em 3

I had a bitch of a time finding 30/06 this season for sure.

I’m just telling you that I’ve never seen 5.56 dominate like it is now. There were maybe 3-5000 rounds of other calibers, and that’s probably high. There were tens of thousands of rounds of 5.56. In shorty plastic bags, large and small boxes, and god knows what else.

And yes, ARs are very popular rifles. That’s a big part of my point. The American rifle and rifle ammo market is an AR market. Everything else is an afterthought.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I recall, I offered you some if you couldn’t get any so y’all could hunt. 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m just telling you that I’ve never seen 5.56 dominate like it is now. There were maybe 3-5000 rounds of other calibers, and that’s probably high. There were tens of thousands of rounds of 5.56. In shorty plastic bags, large and small boxes, and god knows what else.

Yeah, it’s super cheap and popular. It’s the new .22   I’m impressed y’all had 3-5k of others. We sure af don’t. But yeah, much like the .22 it’s a caliber/platform that gets heavily plinked.  No one is going to start plinking with my $6/ea weatherby or 6.5-06  shells, so they’ll never be sold in quantities like that.    But 9mm does. .40 does.   It’s not uncommon for guns people plink or train with to be sold like that.   You are seeing more of it there because people bought a shitload in last year and it’s a saturated market. You understand economics, it’ll come back down and sell out again.  

I had an odd experience at American shooting not long ago. Went to go sight in an old Sako 243 I bought for deer season about a month ago.  A Tuesday at 0945-ish  There was like 3 retired looking white dudes shooting bolt actions with cans, me, and about 20 Asian dudes with AR/AKs.  One guy had to have $1000 in spent brass at his feet.  They seem to be extremely popular with the 25-45 Asian community in West Houston that have the $$$ to plink in a shortage and shoot on a Tuesday.  I don’t like public ranges so don’t get out there often. But it was pretty evident how popular they are.  So I guess I’m not disagreeing with Academy catering to them, I just don’t think they are doing it at the expense of the regular ammo. I also don’t see an issue with it anymore than 9/40/12 that is also bought in mass quantities. He’ll just think of it as a flat. Just the modern day plinker. We grew up plinking with a 10/22, this gen of kids will shoot a 556 (if their parents can afford it).  Well, except mine. I just ordered a new 300 blackout for them, non AR platform, because bolts where it’s at. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And yes, ARs are very popular rifles. That’s a big part of my point. The American rifle and rifle ammo market is an AR market. Everything else is an afterthought.

If you want a hobby... Reloading is excellent for hunting rounds. And you can get em dialed in exactly right for your rifle

I’ve been buying ammo at sporting goods stores for nearly 40 years. At places like Academy, there’s always been a full variety on the shelves - .22, .308, 30/06, all of it.

Yeah, I’ll disagree here as well.

Academy has millions of rounds of ammo on order. 9mm, 5.56, and .308 are in abundance because they’re NATO calibers. Not because academy ammo analysts think “we need to make sure our ar customers are satisfied”.

4 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Yeah, I’ll disagree here as well.

Academy has millions of rounds of ammo on order. 9mm, 5.56, and .308 are in abundance because they’re NATO calibers. Not because academy ammo analysts think “we need to make sure our ar customers are satisfied”.

Academy is NATO’s ammo depot?

image.gif.bf91264d737bddc065938390aff7c1b3.gif

Yeah, how did you not know that?  It's in the NATO charter and everything.  I have a commemorative Academy koozie signed by Kissinger and everything.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:04 PM, Brisketexan said:

Doesnt that kinda show the opposite? The non AR ammo is in shortage and hard to find because people are buying it? AR ammo is readily available because they aren't?  The ammo shortages have been going on for well over a year now.

Doesnt that kinda show the opposite? The non AR ammo is in shortage and hard to find because people are buying it? AR ammo is readily available because they aren't?  The ammo shortages have been going on for well over a year now.

They have been. And my hypothesis is that the manufacturers made a metric shit-ton of the most in-demand caliber. It’s good business to make a bunch more of what’s selling like hotcakes. I don’t think there are many people with 10,000 rounds of 30/06 in a closet. I KNOW there are a shitload of people with 10,000+ rounds of 5.56 in their closet.

As for why it’s there now, I think maybe we’ve reached saturation. The guys who wanted to have 100,000 rounds on hand have it, and don’t need more.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Doesnt that kinda show the opposite? The non AR ammo is in shortage and hard to find because people are buying it? AR ammo is readily available because they aren't? 

No, it shows the opposite. The other rounds (like .243, for example, or for pistols .38 spl, or .45LC) aren’t available because when the shortage hit manufacturing capacity was shifted towards the rounds with the maximum demand (5.56, .223 Rem, .300BO,  or .45acp & 9mm).  

Edit - brisket covered the rest of it

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As for why it’s there now, I think maybe we’ve reached saturation. The guys who wanted to have 100,000 rounds on hand have it, and don’t need more.

Correct.  They’ll wait for it to come down .10/rd because it’s a volume shooter.  It’s a cheap full sized round to plink. That used to be the .30 carbine when surplus was plentiful and before everyones nostalgia put them as the hot new (old) thing the last few years. Same with 9mm. 12/20.  You wouldn’t bat an eye of someone having 10-20 flats at the ranch, it’s a typical high volume round.  Federal and others have been putting out videos and even schedules on their ammo runs. They are trying to make it work with supply chain issues (mainly primers) and hands.  They’ve pretty much addressed why the shortage of tons of different groups of ammo in those videos, and the market availability followed it pretty damn close.  

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No, it shows the opposite.

Not completely. There are still regular shipments of your regulars (.243,270,308,3006,7,300) they just aren’t staying on the shelf. At least where I’m at. That’ll probably change once deer season is over, maybe not.  It’s the 222, 22-250, .224vk, 260, 264, 280, 284, etc that aren’t being produced for shit as there’s such tiny demand.  Not that it was easy to find many of those before, but it was at least possible.  Or, if you want a specific something in any of the regulars it’s difficult.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No, it shows the opposite. The other rounds (like .243, for example, or for pistols .38 spl, or .45LC) aren’t available because when the shortage hit manufacturing capacity was shifted towards the rounds with the maximum demand (5.56, .223 Rem, .300BO,  or .45acp & 9mm).  

Edit - brisket covered the rest of it

Apparently they oversupplied the demand for 5.56 since it's readily available in mass.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 5:21 PM, Satchel said:

I feel like there is an insight buried somewhere in here...

Galloway joined Precinct 5 in 2009, serving Harris County for more than 12 years. Galloway most recently served in the toll road division as a field training officer...

Galloway is one of three precinct 5 deputies lost in the line of duty, all of them were assigned to the toll road shift, authorities said. Galloway leaves behind a daughter and sister.

Leaders are calling for an end to the rise in violent crime.

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Three more police officers shot today in Houston. That makes a total of four in Houston alone. Does this mean we don’t have enough guns on the streets?

If you want to reduce the number of guns on the street, the most effective means would be to disarm the police.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

What do you want, more guns on the street?

Did you read my question? Four Houston officers shot (one murdered) within a week. Does that mean we don’t have enough guns on the streets ostensibly to keep people safe?

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Did you read my question? Four Houston officers shot (one murdered) within a week. Does that mean we don’t have enough guns on the streets ostensibly to keep people safe?

I am not sure what you want.  I just want to disarm the police.  To keep people safe. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

I am not sure what you want.  I just want to disarm the police.  To keep people safe. 

An answer to my question would be cool. Watching a local news story detailing the murder of a 15 year old honor student shot to death in his home as he slept. The result of an unrelated drive by. If only police had fewer weapons…

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread