Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

On 3/17/2022 at 8:55 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Totally normal.  Totally healthy.  

Our society has a problem and I'm convinced it is mainly because of the combination of guns and social media.

Have you thought about a solution?

Yeah, I gotta weird feeling that all portions of ^ that agenda are not gonna pass.  

I know this isn't a terribly original, or popular, belief in the CR.  But I don't think the issue is we have guns.  It's that we have a lot of stupid and/or crazy people, and we have a lot of access to a lot of firepower.  Not just guns, but bulk amounts of them and the type that can murder a roomful of people before you can even remember the number of 9-1-1.  Yes, correlation is not necessarily causation.  I get it.  

Then there's the fact that we're not actually the deadliest country when it comes to firearms.  But we have three big problems in patting ourselves on the back on those rankings.  We have too many mass shootings, we have too many gun deaths isolated to just a handful of cities, and we have too many gun deaths to suicide because the gun was available.  It's half our suicide rate.  And I think, a part of it, is because it's so quick 'n easy.  You walk out to the Golden Gate Bridge, you start the car with your favorite song in the garage, you take a bottle of pills with a bottle of whiskey.  You're gonna have time to think about it and more often than not, your survival instinct kicks in.  You're half drunk and go "clean" your gun, shit can get dark in 30 seconds and you can be gone.  That's a harder population to track though, admittedly.  We have a pretty good trace on what kinda violent folks shouldn't own firearms but it's dammed tough, probably impossible, to figure out who shouldn't get a gun because they might get suicidal 5 years from now.  But I'd bet my right to own firearms that of the 20,000+ who die in this country by firearm suicide...half would have found another way out.  But half would have tried something else, stopped, and lived.  We all know somebody who has survived a suicide attempt and gone on to a good life.  If you don't, you don't know people as well as you think you do.  

Anyway, back to stupid/crazy access to firepower.  We're not the gun murder capital of the world per capita.  We are though, the existence of gun capital of the world per capita.  Therein that ratio lies the rub.  There's a point of inflection on that inverted curve.  Is it perhaps 'amazing' that given the total number of guns in this country, we actually 'only' see 45,000 gun deaths?  Countries with higher per capita gun deaths, what is their per capita of gun ownership/total number of weapons per 100,000?  99% of our hundreds of millions of weapons are never used in anything more than a hunt or a cleaning.  But why the large number of gross deaths?  And why the disturbing leadership in mass shootings?  And why the suicide number?  I have no policy proposal, but the common denominator behind all three outliers is one word, Americans.  

We are the fucking problem.  We're sick.  And we're getting way the fuck worse.  

Edited by Lobo
first long Lobo rant in awhile, y'all enjoy this upcoming break ;)

Our society has a problem and I'm convinced it is mainly because of the combination of guns and social media.

I don't disagree, but I'm pretty sure that if we kept the social media and got rid of the guns, these homicides would almost disappear.  It's one thing to pull a trigger from 10+ feet away, and it's something else entirely to stick a knife into a human being or strike his head with a bat, not least of all because the target gets a chance to defend himself.  What percentage of these shooters has the sack to try to kill someone without a gun?  Maybe 5%?

Point being that yes, there are other causes of this epidemic of shootings, and social media is one of them, but all of those causes take a distant backseat to the fact that just about anybody in this country can go into a sporting goods store and buy a weapon of war.  It's fucking asinine that we allow this and everyone defending it, for any reason, is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/19/2022 at 8:23 PM, TexArcher said:

I don't disagree, but I'm pretty sure that if we kept the social media and got rid of the guns, these homicides would almost disappear.  It's one thing to pull a trigger from 10+ feet away, and it's something else entirely to stick a knife into a human being or strike his head with a bat, not least of all because the target gets a chance to defend himself.  What percentage of these shooters has the sack to try to kill someone without a gun?  Maybe 5%?

Point being that yes, there are other causes of this epidemic of shootings, and social media is one of them, but all of those causes take a distant backseat to the fact that just about anybody in this country can go into a sporting goods store and buy a weapon of war.  It's fucking asinine that we allow this and everyone defending it, for any reason, is wrong.

Exactly. Not only that, but you are more likely to survive a knife wound or a bat wound than a gunshot.

And our mythology. Problems are black and white, good vs. evil. Problems are solved by killing the bad guy. It's a story we tell ourselves over and over and over.

On 3/18/2022 at 7:19 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Dramatic Monologue for Men - Michael Douglas in Falling ...

Excellent reference. The line below is where I realized I'd underestimated Douglas for his whole career. I also think he was the only person involved in the movie who really got what it was about.

spacer.png

Made a fairly entertaining movie worth remembering, in my humble opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like something happened on the train to cause the smoke then there was a muffled boom. Washington Post reporting undetonated devices (formerly known as bombs) were found on the scene.

Oddly, the Post then goes into a long paragraph about the ethnicity of the area. 

Fire officials, responding to reports of smoke, arrived on the scene to find multiple injured victims as well as several undetonated devices in the area, according to a New York Fire Department spokesperson.

While information was still fluid on Tuesday morning, an NYPD official said a potential suspect was believed to possibly be wearing a construction vest.

Sunset Park, the site of the shooting, has long been a hub for working-class immigrant communities and is considered one of the city’s most diverse neighborhoods. The 4th Avenue subway station is at the core of the neighborhood’s Latin American community, made up largely of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Central Americans and Ecuadorans. It is also a major transfer station for commuters across Brooklyn.

24 minutes ago, Satchel said:

There’s an established order in these gun violence discussions. Mental health comes after guns don’t kill, people do posts.

There won't be mental health posts.  At all.  Even after the "guns don't kill, people do" posts.  Because he's black and violent.  But you already knew that.  

Edited by Lobo

^^^

Related.

US rocked by 3 mass shootings during Easter weekend; 2 dead

HAMPTON, S.C. (AP) — Authorities in South Carolina are investigating a shooting at a nightclub early Sunday that wounded at least nine people. It was the second mass shooting in the state and the third in the nation during the Easter holiday weekend.

The shootings in South Carolina and one in Pittsburgh, in which two minors were killed early Sunday, also left at least 31 people wounded.

No one was reported killed in the violence at Cara’s Lounge in Hampton County, roughly 80 miles (130 kilometers) west of Charleston, according to an email from South Carolina’s State Law Enforcement Division, which is investigating the shooting. A phone call to the nightclub was not answered.

In Pittsburgh, two male youths were killed and at least eight people wounded when shots were fired during a party at a short-term rental property. The “vast majority” of the hundreds of people at the party were underage, the city’s Police Chief Scott Schubert told reporters. The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the two victims as Jaiden Brown and Mathew Steffy-Ross, both 17.

Investigators believe there were multiple shooters, and Schubert said police were processing evidence at as many as eight separate crime scenes spanning a few blocks around the rental home.

The two shootings come just a day after gunfire erupted at a busy mall in the South Carolina state capital of Columbia, about 90 miles (145 kilometers) north of Sunday’s nightclub shooting. Nine people were shot, and five people sustained other kinds of injuries while trying to flee the scene at the Columbiana Centre, Columbia Police Chief W.H. “Skip” Holbrook said Saturday. The victims ranged in age from 15 to 73. None faced life-threatening injuries.

“We don’t believe this was random,” Holbrook said. “We believe they knew each other and something led to the gunfire.”

The only person arrested in the mall shooting so far is Jewayne M. Price, 22, one of three people initially detained by law enforcement as a person of interest. Price’s attorney, Todd Rutherford, told news outlets Sunday that his client fired a gun at the mall, but in self-defense. Rutherford said Price faces a charge of unlawfully carrying a pistol because he legally owned his gun but did not have a permit to carry a weapon.

Columbia police said on Twitter that a judge agreed Sunday to let Price leave jail on a $25,000 surety bond. He was to be on house arrest with an ankle monitor, police said.

“It was unprovoked by him. He called the police, turned himself in, turned over the firearm that was used in this, and gave a statement to the Columbia Police Department,” Rutherford said, according to WMBF-TV. “That is why he got a $25,000 bond.”

Police said the judge will allow Price to travel from home to work during certain hours each day. Price is forbidden from contacting the victims and anyone else involved in the shooting.

South Carolina residents age 21 or older can get a weapons permit, which as of last year allows them to carry weapons openly or concealed. They must have eight hours of gun training and pass a background check that includes fingerprinting.

The three Easter weekend mass shootings are in addition to other gun violence in recent days. Last week, a gunman opened fire in a New York subway car, wounding 10 people. A suspect was arrested the next day. Earlier this month, six people were killed and 12 others wounded in Sacramento, California, during a gunfight between rival gangs as bars closed in a busy downtown area just blocks from the state Capitol.

One week ago, a shooting inside a crowded nightclub in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, left a man and a woman dead and 10 people wounded. And last month, 10 people were shot at a spring break party in Dallas and several others were injured as they tried to escape the gunfire.

https://apnews.com/article/shootings-south-carolina-columbia-8587b95c3e87935cc9274aef31bf2ad3

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The reason there was so much gun violence over the Easter weekend is drugs. It’s certainly has nothing to do with the ubiquity of guns.

Was it guns? Was it drugs? Was it the hateful ways of social media? Was it poor mental health support for those in need? Was it domestic terrorism? Was it racial tension? 

Tune in next week for Which of America's Plagues Is the Culprit? 

Envy. Of. The. World.

Local new reported that there were over 90 shots fired in Pittsburgh. 200 people at the house, 90 shots fired, only 10 people shot, 2 dead. Unless the two that died took the majority of those bullets, that’s a lot of shots that didn’t hit anything.

1 hour ago, heso said:

Local new reported that there were over 90 shots fired in Pittsburgh. 200 people at the house, 90 shots fired, only 10 people shot, 2 dead. Unless the two that died took the majority of those bullets, that’s a lot of shots that didn’t hit anything.

Damn how fucking unlucky were those 2. RIP. 

I guess some of those kids hadn't been through the necessary training to first get down when you hear gunfire. 

Clearly, this is a problem with America's educational system that has turned those players into gender-confused initiates to pedorasty exploitation with no intimate familiarity with the requirement that we all carry guns to shoot bad guys.

Solution to public education problem revealed by the tape: School vouchers, no discussion of anything other than binary gender/heterosexual aspects of life, urban combat training for children, guns all over the schools so good guys can shoot bad guys just like in the movies.

We should also pay teachers less for their failure to prepare their students for life in the country that is the envy of the world in every way. We should also empower parents to sue teachers and schools for any perceived failure in straying from party dogma.

America is lit!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Remember when you could sit in the stands and say "Damn, that dude's got a gun" and everyone knew you were talking about his arm? 

Back in 2010 you could comment about a Republican making excuses for rape and the answer would be, “Which one?”

Not a mass shooting, but a student pilot in Kansas got shot at while practicing touch-and-go's

https://news.yahoo.com/bullet-hole-found-plane-landed-205759951.html

The pilot tells Boston 25 he was two minutes away from landing and about 700 feet in the air when the bullet went through, hitting the fuel tank. Student pilot Dan Black says he and his instructor were practicing landing in the four-seater single-engine plane when they heard a pop and then smelled fuel.

“Once we started to smell the fuel, we knew something was going on,” said Black. “But we didn’t think it was a bullet. We saw that fuel was coming out of our wings, so we knew we had an issue with the left tank. And we parked the plane and dumped all the fuel out into buckets. And then during that process, we noticed there was a hole in the wing.”

“It went all the way through the wing and stopped here in the bottom side of the fuel tank,” said Gardner Aviation Services owner Dominic Scalera.

Templeton Police, the Worcester District Attorney and the FAA are investigating where the shot came from, but the owner here says it’ll be hard to tell.

“It’s insane. To be shooting a gun at random things, and not a target or an animal, is pure stupidity,” said Scalera. “It could’ve exploded if something went wrong on landing. A couple of inches lower, they could hit the pilot.”

“I don’t know who would want to shoot an airplane, so I would like to hope it was unintentional and just an accident, but I have no idea,” said Black.

Scalera says as soon as they patch the hole in the plane and fix the fuel tank, the plane will be right back up in the air.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Not a mass shooting, but a student pilot in Kansas got shot at while practicing touch-and-go's

https://news.yahoo.com/bullet-hole-found-plane-landed-205759951.html

Scalera says as soon as they patch the hole in the plane and fix the fuel tank, the plane will be right back up in the air.

no way you're getting my ass in that plane.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

How many shots do you count?  There are at least 50.

South Carolina: too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

(could have happened anywhere, but I love that quote)

Edited by Bullneck

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread