Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They're off talking about how we need stricter immigration laws and more mental health resources. Oh, and they don't want to pay for either.

Sprinkle the need for more School Resource officers, top with thoughts and prayers, and you’ve got the recipe.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

Abbot just confirmed 14 kids and 1 teacher dead. Shooter was 18.

Whatever.  Turn the page.   This is how we want it, so stop acting like we give a shit when it happens.  WE CHOSE THIS.  THIS IS THE PREFERRED OUTCOME IN THIS COUNTRY.  We should stop asking surprised.  Just put the report on that empty desk over there, with all the other ones.  Ho-hum.

Also, neither of my kids currently live in this country.  Just got a text from my son "It will always be my home, but I don't want to raise my kids there."  I can't blame him or argue with him one bit.

EDIT: daughter just chimed in with "I refuse to raise my kids in a nation where I send them to school not knowing if they'll come home."  She commented, when she left for school in Canada, how all the other kids thought it was weird that the American kids scoped out every classroom for shelter and escape routes.  It is second nature to American kids.  It's not that way for kids from other countries.  She followed with "The constant national grief is not normal but we have decided as a nation that we're cool with blood sacrifices to the false idol of guns."  Mind you, this is from a girl who asked for and got a .22 for her 10th Christmas.

This isn't America being broken.  This is America functioning as designed and intended.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

I fucking hate this country, the place I was born and raised, and the place I live in particular. Fuck Texas. Fuck Oklahoma. Fuck this country. There's nothing else to say anymore. I have no pride in my own identity. I just can't. Anyone making excuses for the gun nutters should be fucking hung from a tree. Abbott should be hit by more cars. He is human garbage.

Trees..
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Where are our gun apologists? The ones that are fine with kids dying.

Hanging out in their safe space thread on DT where they can talk about everything else being a problem but the firearms they love so much.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, Pancho said:

Complaining that national news outlets are mispronouncing Uvalde probably. 

God damn I laughed but you're probably right. 

I'm the past half hour I've been hit with: 

Not a gun problem, see Chicago and Mexico

Arming teachers is the only way to stop this

Heard he was a gang member

Have you heard about fast and furious? The govt  put all these guns on our streets 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Texags pretty much universally suggesting arming all teachers solves the problem.  

Truly insane. Guys what we really need is to give them guns and a bullet proof vest and shield so they can stop the bad guys. 
And as their reward for everything they do to teach, babysit, raise, kids in this country we will pay them enough to almost be able to afford dinner. 
I say again, fuck this stupid fucking state

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Whatever.  Turn the page.   This is how we want it, so stop acting like we give a shit when it happens.  WE CHOSE THIS.  THIS IS THE PREFERRED OUTCOME IN THIS COUNTRY.  We should stop asking surprised.  Just put the report on that empty desk over there, with all the other ones.  Ho-hum.

Also, neither of my kids currently live in this country.  Just got a text from my son "It will always be my home, but I don't want to raise my kids there."  I can't blame him or argue with him one bit.

EDIT: daughter just chimed in with "I refuse to raise my kids in a nation where I send them to school not knowing if they'll come home."  She commented, when she left for school in Canada, how all the other kids thought it was weird that the American kids scoped out every classroom for shelter and escape routes.  It is second nature to American kids.  It's not that way for kids from other countries.  She followed with "The constant national grief is not normal but we have decided as a nation that we're cool with blood sacrifices to the false idol of guns."  Mind you, this is from a girl who asked for and got a .22 for her 10th Christmas.

This isn't America being broken.  This is America functioning as designed and intended.

Oh, for fuck's sake.  Just stop, for once.  Stop with the histrionics.  I SURE AS FUCK DIDN'T CHOOSE THIS, and I resent your use of the pronoun "we".  It's bullshit.

Use your big fucking brain for good instead of this reactionary bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

What you guys are forgetting is that at least these kids will never have to learn that gay people exist.

Sorry, I don't know any way to deal with this other than the darkest humor imaginable. At least not until I get home and can drink myself stupid.

I mean, what if they found out about slavery? 

12 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

How many dead babies does it take to enact gun control in America?

More, I guess.

I think we've proven that dead babies don't matter here in America.  I'm more than willing to see if switching to Fox News hosts and "#2ndAmendment" GQP congress people will have more of an impact, though. 

Edited by Gap03

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, for fuck's sake.  Just stop, for once.  Stop with the histrionics.  I SURE AS FUCK DIDN'T CHOOSE THIS, and I resent your use of the pronoun "we".  It's bullshit.

Use your big fucking brain for good instead of this reactionary bullshit.

We sure as shit chose this.  We continue to elect, over and over, officials who fucking BRAG about how many guns they can get out there.  We continue to accept the shit they shove down our throats.  Until we can stop them, we are complicit.  And yeah, I include myself in that.  I despair of ever having any chance to even make a dent in it.  I continue to support and vote for people who would do otherwise, but I also continue to prepare for my hot date with Susanna Hoffs -- each seem equally likely to happen.

Fuck this place.  It is lost.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Truly insane. Guys what we really need is to give them guns and a bullet proof vest and shield so they can stop the bad guys. 
And as their reward for everything they do to teach, babysit, raise, kids in this country we will pay them enough to almost be able to afford dinner. 
I say again, fuck this stupid fucking state

Whoa, slow down there JP Morgan, we’ll give them 25% tax write off for buying the gun and vest.  And no pay increase to allow a third meal of the day. 

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Texags pretty much universally suggesting arming all teachers solves the problem.  

Reminds me of a conservative student I had in my class who wanted to give his final, major persuasive speech on why we don’t need gun reform laws.  His major argument was arm more people with guns to kill the bad guys. 

My response to his proposal: “Tell me Evan, what is the percentage of “good guys with guns” who have killed bad guys with guns?”

Evan: *silence*

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We sure as shit chose this.  We continue to elect, over and over, officials who fucking BRAG about how many guns they can get out there.  We continue to accept the shit they shove down our throats.  Until we can stop them, we are complicit.  And yeah, I include myself in that.  I despair of ever having any chance to even make a dent in it.  I continue to support and vote for people who would do otherwise, but I also continue to prepare for my hot date with Susanna Hoffs -- each seem equally likely to happen.

Fuck this place.  It is lost.

No, WE didn't do this.  The Americans who cast the votes for these fuckers did this.  You know better.  

Seriously, try to effect change instead of clutching pearls and promoting your stupid ledge metaphor.  We're all exhausted by your verbosity and poor read on the actual facts in the room

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

The sooner you realize that this is a broken country populated by a stupid, racist, and horrifyingly selfish people, the better off you'll be.

We all realize it, and it doesn't make it any better, it actually makes it worse, because it is the absolute definition of being helpless. There is nothing we can do to fix this, our votes are not enough, a majority of this country, and in our states in particular, cannot be brought back to reason. It's a lost fucking cause. It makes it so much worse to realize the truth.

• Like 3

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

No, WE didn't do this.  The Americans who cast the votes for these fuckers did this.  You know better.  

Seriously, try to effect change instead of clutching pearls and promoting your stupid ledge metaphor.  We're all exhausted by your verbosity and poor read on the actual facts in the room

Yeah, but it really feels like pulling the lever for a Democrat is just voting for Republican light these days. Sure, there are a few full throated progressives in the party (because where else are they gonna go?), but most Dems are neoliberals working to keep the U.S.S. Capitalism afloat.

It's dispriting to say the least.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

try to effect change

Been doing so.

Also been trying to score with Susanna Hoffs since 1986.

How's that working out for us?

We've failed.  100%, totally, and completely.  We have failed.  Whether it's the shitheels who elect people who stake their political futures to ensure this will happen again, to the rest of us being ineffective and impotent at even putting up a speed bump to slow them down, we are a complete and total failure.  And the body count just keeps going up.  I'll keep trying, but honestly and truly, what is the fucking point?  It will just fail, again and again and again.  And this will happen again.  Maybe tomorrow.  Maybe in a week.  For fuck's sake, we have a STANDING THREAD on this topic on the board....and it rarely drops off page 1.  Give me one fucking reason to have any optimism for a different outcome?  "Surely this time, it will be different?"  Fuck that.  We've proven that nothing can bring about change.  Once we were okay with Sandy Hook, it was over.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The sooner you realize that this is a broken country populated by a stupid, racist, and horrifyingly selfish people, the better off you'll be.

The state elected a Democratic governor not all that long ago.  Those people were around back then.  I think things can change but for that to happen imo the Democratic Party in the state of Texas needs to be nuked and replaced with something new.  

Just now, Starfleet Command said:

The state elected a Democratic governor not all that long ago.  Those people were around back then.  I think things can change but for that to happen imo the Democratic Party in the state of Texas needs to be nuked and replaced with something new.  

Not all that long ago? It's been over 30 years.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Been doing so.

We've failed.  100%, totally, and completely.  We have failed.  Whether it's the shitheels who elect people who stake their political futures to ensure this will happen again, to the rest of us being ineffective and impotent at even putting up a speed bump to slow them down, we are a complete and total failure.  And the body count just keeps going up.  I'll keep trying, but honestly and truly, what is the fucking point?  It will just fail, again and again and again.  And this will happen again.  Maybe tomorrow.  Maybe in a week.  For fuck's sake, we have a STANDING THREAD on this topic on the board....and it rarely drops off page 1.  Give me one fucking reason to have any optimism for a different outcome?  "Surely this time, it will be different?"  Fuck that.  We've proven that nothing can bring about change.  Once we were okay with Sandy Hook, it was over.

This picture I posted of The Onion headline was from fucking 2014. I just picked randomly one of the literally dozen onion “Only Nation” headlines.

6CFD2B38-7C00-4EB9-BCF5-C57FEFE522CF.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Been doing so.

Jesus Christ, take some Midol.

The answer is to get out the vote.  There is no other answer, save a Civil War.  If you think the majority of Democrat politicians don't align on views regarding AR-15 and other high-capacity, high-rate weapons, then you're just not paying attention.  The problem isn't the politicians, they will swing with the wind.  THE PROBLEM IS THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T VOTE.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread