Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Was this posted here yet? 

In the debate, Abbott said they couldn't do anything about raising the age to 21 for an AR because of the court decision. This says that Texas is appealing that ruling:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/27/texas-gun-ruling-18/

Then you have this guy:

“Once again, government officials in the state of Texas are proven to be anti-gun stooges,” said Dudley Brown, the president of the National Association for Gun Rights, in a news release.

“Deep down, DPS knows that their appeal is unconstitutional and immoral, and we are confident that the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court will tell them to take a hike,” Brown added.

I just did the acronym for his association in my head... umm...

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

24 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

“Once again, government officials in the state of Texas are proven to be anti-gun stooges,” said Dudley Brown, the president of the National Association for Gun Rights, in a news release.

“Deep down, DPS knows that their appeal is unconstitutional and immoral, and we are confident that the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court will tell them to take a hike,” Brown added.

Is Dudley related to this guy?

56 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Was this posted here yet? 

In the debate, Abbott said they couldn't do anything about raising the age to 21 for an AR because of the court decision. This says that Texas is appealing that ruling:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/09/27/texas-gun-ruling-18/

Then you have this guy:

e7f7cceddbf5d1ade6ab5a15edc0cbab.gif

On 9/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, Willfully Horn said:

No comment on Trump seeking to keep folks charged with murder out of jail, and trying to ship those folks to cities that reject his feculence? That confirms the thought that led to my post. You narcissist.

I looked it up sooo hoping it's an actual word. It is. It means exactly what it sounds like. How did I miss this great word? Thanks!

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Uvalde: The unbelievably awful event that keeps on giving. 

Just gross and the lack of any sort of accountability is icing on the cake. And that starts with the governor's office who seems to have no desire than to pay lip service when he absolutely has to do so.

Stumbled upon the twitter for one of the parents from Uvalde. Man, I had to stop reading them. It's all focused around Uvalde, but there are quite a few that are just very honest about the pain she is feeling. Like this one:

How the hell can you be in a position of power and essentially shrug your shoulders at this situation? It's sickening.

Watching the sentencing hearing of the Parkland shooter. Wish I wasn’t. 

The murderer is a fucking runt of the litter critter. So far, each verdict agrees he deserves to be put to death, but one or more jurors have decided mitigating factors preclude unanimous agreement on the needle.

It only takes one, but I think this human train wreck will die in prison and not by execution.

Watching the disappointment of victim families is tough.

On 10/10/2022 at 8:32 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Stumbled upon the twitter for one of the parents from Uvalde. Man, I had to stop reading them. It's all focused around Uvalde, but there are quite a few that are just very honest about the pain she is feeling. Like this one:

How the hell can you be in a position of power and essentially shrug your shoulders at this situation? It's sickening.

Her twitter feed is extremely tough to read.  

Very dusty in here.

20 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Watching the sentencing hearing of the Parkland shooter. Wish I wasn’t. 

The murderer is a fucking runt of the litter critter. So far, each verdict agrees he deserves to be put to death, but one or more jurors have decided mitigating factors preclude unanimous agreement on the needle.

It only takes one, but I think this human train wreck will die in prison and not by execution.

Watching the disappointment of victim families is tough.

That doesn't hurt my feelings. There's been enough death. Making sure he doesn't see the light of day is good enough for me.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That doesn't hurt my feelings. There's been enough death. Making sure he doesn't see the light of day is good enough for me.

I wouldn’t be allowed to sit on a death case jury, as I don’t support the death penalty. But, yes, the pain those families displayed was heart breaking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Let the inmates with kids have fun with him. A living hell that is more earned by him than a relatively quick death. 

This.  The young man is in store for a decade-long nightmare.  As Rust Cohle tells us "Prison is rough for people who hurt kids."  

The parents don't need to be bothered with finding people to pay to rough him up in prison, they've been through enough.  That's where the people I know come in.

Wonder if he might be headed to supermax.

I feel like mass shooters used to mostly be deranged people carrying out an act of suicide. Nowadays most don’t commit suicide or even try to battle the police that respond. They just kill people and surrender at the first sign of a challenge. To me there’s just something extra pathetic about that.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I feel like mass shooters used to mostly be deranged people carrying out an act of suicide. Nowadays most don’t commit suicide or even try to battle the police that respond. They just kill people and surrender at the first sign of a challenge. To me there’s just something extra pathetic about that.

I think the percentage who die in the attacks is higher than those who willingly surrender but it is strange that we're seeing more of those who survive/surrender than we used to -- this kid, the kid in the El Paso/Wal-Mart shooting (I think) and the one in Highland Park, IL.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think the percentage who die in the attacks is higher than those who willingly surrender but it is strange that we're seeing more of those who survive/surrender than we used to -- this kid, the kid in the El Paso/Wal-Mart shooting (I think) and the one in Highland Park, IL.

Buffalo shooting, Charleston, aurora theater, boulder grocery store, Michigan high school last year. In recent years I’d say a majority don’t kill themselves, by a wide margin.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Buffalo shooting, Charleston, aurora theater, boulder grocery store, Michigan high school last year. In recent years I’d say a majority don’t kill themselves, by a wide margin.

Are you strictly talking about the perps shooting themselves or are you including the ones that die in process, essentially suicide-by-cop?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great.  My cousin's husband is a Raleigh police officer.  Low odds, but not zero.

. . . AND my cousin's husband and their son (also RPD) are on the scene, but uninjured.  I know there's a lot of anti-cop sentiment out there, but sometimes these things get a little too close to home, cops or not.

• Hook 'Em 4

My cousin's husband was a cop in Chicago for 20 years.  My heart skipped a beat every time I heard about a shootout there, widowing her and two young boys (one of whom is special needs).  He finally had enough and became a SRO for a wealthy school district in the norther suburbs.  

Glad her husband and his son are okay.  What a shitshow there.  Apparently the kid (15yo) shot himself in the head before they arrested him.  He's alive and in custody.

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

your cousins husbands are your cousins also, that’s how it works. do you say “my wife’s nephew?”

In my wife's family they don't refer to the person married to their blood relative as a family name like aunt or uncle. They just think of them as "aunt's husband".

Don't know how common that is. 

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

For awhile there was a columbine trend where shooters would make sure to kill themselves just like the kids in columbine. 1999 to sandy hook the shooter or shooters always seemed to die. Now we’re seeing a new trend where lots of them surrender to the cops.

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

My cousin's husband was a cop in Chicago for 20 years.  My heart skipped a beat every time I heard about a shootout there, widowing her and two young boys (one of whom is special needs).  He finally had enough and became a SRO for a wealthy school district in the norther suburbs.  

Glad her husband and his son are okay.  What a shitshow there.  Apparently the kid (15yo) shot himself in the head before they arrested him.  He's alive and in custody.

You said your sister's brother's cousin...

28 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You said your sister's brother's cousin...

Second paragraph was referring to jimmyjazz’s cousin and spouse and their son.  

anyway, internets have been awfully quiet about this.  Usually there’s ten pages of weapon assessment after something like this.  Not sure if the shooter’s parents are in the picture but read earlier this morning from a beat cop journalist at A Raleigh tv news affiliate that first victim was his brother.  I couldn’t begin to fathom the horror of losing a child, then learning your other son did it, then learning he killed cops And civilians, and oh yeah—-he now had permanent brain damage as part of his skull spilled out during the arrest.  

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

For awhile there was a columbine trend where shooters would make sure to kill themselves just like the kids in columbine. 1999 to sandy hook the shooter or shooters always seemed to die. Now we’re seeing a new trend where lots of them surrender to the cops.

I feel like ubiquitous social media is fueling a surge in narcissism, especially with younger generations who have grown up with constant attention available to them pretty much since birth.  I'd bet that's at play here -- these little narcissistic sociopaths have to live through the event to savor everyone talking about them.

• Like 1