Odessa is thirsty

F250

When will water be restored?

While the city doesn't have a specific time in place for when water will be restored, Mayor Javier Joven said Tuesday morning they are hoping to have the break fixed within the next 48 hours.

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/local/what-to-know-odessa-water-situation/513-5bfb3adc-dced-45e6-9042-03b436e29d82

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Russians have agents everywhere. Maybe they ordered activation of an asset for the destruction of the Odessa water system, and weren’t specific enough. 

They were really confused when they passed Italy and Paris, but extremely confused when they wandered SE and came across Moscow, Texas.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

They were really confused when they passed Italy and Paris, but extremely confused when they wandered SE and came across Moscow, Texas.

Then they hit Palestine, kept going SE and ran into Collie Station. They saw the architecture, thought they were home and joined the Corps? New content managers for Texags. 

Just another example why you are an idiot if you don't keep a couple of weeks supply per person of bottled water.  Less than $8 a person, pretty cheap insurance.

Or you can wait in long lines in the heat burning a lot of gas at the distribution centers (repeatedly if the outage is bad, limit is 1 case per car.)  For those who failed to prepare, there are 3 distribution centers:

McKinney Park - 625 W. Pool Rd

FM 1936 & W. University

Ector? I Don't Even Know Her! County Coliseum - 4201 Andrews Hwy

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Just another example why you are an idiot if you don't keep a couple of weeks supply per person of bottled water.  Less than $8 a person, pretty cheap insurance.

Or you can wait in long lines in the heat burning a lot of gas at the distribution centers (repeatedly if the outage is bad, limit is 1 case per car.)  For those who failed to prepare, there are 3 distribution centers:

FM 1936 & W. University

Damn good point.

Every home should have 1 box of USCG approved rescue water per person. Here is a link on amazon. 5 year shelf life and enough for 72 hours. That gives you the time to secure other sources. 

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Survival-Rations-6x4-2oz-Approved/dp/B0075ZH3SU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3V3F5SIC906J2&keywords=USCG+emergency+water&qid=1655245418&sprefix=uscg+emergency+water%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-5

I'm curious about what caused the break in the main.  I've seen times in east central Texas where clay soils expanding and contracting as they wet and dry have broken pipes up to 16 inches, but not a 24 inch main.  And I get the feeling that Odessa hasn't been getting a lot of wet lately.  (I could be wrong; too lazy to look up climate records.) 

Several years ago, a city near me had a concrete coated steel main punctured by a contractor laying fiber optic cables.  It took a couple of days to get the segment dried out, welded, and re-coated with concrete, then it had to be flushed, disinfected, and pass bacteriological testing for three straight days.  It was the only main to that city from their pump station.  Fortunately they had interconnects with a neighboring city, so they weren't totally SOL.  Apparently Odessa doesn't have that kind of backup.

On 6/14/2022 at 5:40 PM, clapclapclap said:

FM 1936 & W. University

Couple weeks per person? So is a case like 2 or 3 days worth including showering? Not hating just trying to visualize how much water/space this takes up. 

An average family of 4 plus two pets, so…. one case per person for 3 days, times 5 for 15 days = 20 cases for family plus 5 (?) for pets for that time total. My math or estimation off? I think it is a great idea but 20-25 cases of water just sitting there (we do brita and tap whenever at home) in a corner is… impressive.  

Edited by achooloco

3 hours ago, achooloco said:

Couple weeks per person? So is a case like 2 or 3 days worth including showering? Not hating just trying to visualize how much water/space this takes up. 

An average family of 4 plus two pets, so…. one case per person for 3 days, times 5 for 15 days = 20 cases for family plus 5 (?) for pets for that time total. My math or estimation off? I think it is a great idea but 20-25 cases of water just sitting there (we do brita and tap whenever at home) in a corner is… impressive.  

Ok, so two things are at play. Drinking water vs. I need to flush my toilet water. I have 5, 10 gallon cubes. I can fill them up in an emergency with the water that is in my pipes and water heater. People over look their water heater. Your dogs/cats/canary/koala pets can drink that. I tend to keep one full at all times. Yeah, it ain't for me or humans to drink, but I can flush the toilet. 

In an emergency you don't take showers. You clean your hands and brush your teeth. If you know what you are doing that does not require running the sink. 

For cooking and drinking the rule of thumb is 1 liter per person per day. and yes, that INCLUDES cooking. You have other fluids in your house to use. I keep a good supply of juice. Apple is my go to for my emergency kits. Just need to be smart when you start prepping. Don't need a ton of shit, just the right shit. 

And there is always beer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We have a cistern at our cabin, and once every couple of years, we run out of water (usually due to a toilet that keeps running or a garden hose that didn’t get turned off all the way). Our water delivery guy is sometimes unable to deliver a load of water for a day or two. We manage on a gallon or two per person per day until someone starting gettin ripe. We had to melt snow for toilet water one Christmas. That was fun. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

For cooking and drinking the rule of thumb is 1 liter per person per day.

Rule of thumb for what? Nuclear winter? I mean I guess that would keep you alive but you'd be extremely dehydrated. 

6 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I had alway heard a gallon per person per day.  That’s a lot of water sitting around for a family of 4. 

That's usually the recommendation for backpacking. You don't need nearly as much if you aren't hiking and sweating and stuff. Also not needed if you have a filter and source of water to filter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:
  Reveal hidden contents

20220605_103652.thumb.jpg.da1b8d9431c3b6a1504cdc84963fb16e.jpg

Dead mouse in my 1550 gal rainwater capture tank at the ranch. I added a lot of unscented bleach but I don't know if I'll ever want to drink it. 

Did any of y'all get Covid?  Asking for a friend...

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This part confuses me as to how it relates to emergency supplies. 

Meant that I never buy bottled water for personal use. Also in nyc so space is limited but when I move to a more accommodating city, looking to get some emergency supplies. Thanks for the info yall!

Edited by achooloco

I bought a couple of these after the freeze. 

From what I've read it's only for a one-time use because you can't get it completely dry to store after one use. 

That's fine gives me close to 90 gals of water  

41tLulG3yML._AC_SY580_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergency-Container-Drinking-Hurricane/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1Q3UHL10HU0TV&keywords=bathtub+water+storage+bladder&qid=1655386268&sprefix=bathtub+wat%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-3

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 6/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Damn good point.

Every home should have 1 box of USCG approved rescue water per person. Here is a link on amazon. 5 year shelf life and enough for 72 hours. That gives you the time to secure other sources. 

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Survival-Rations-6x4-2oz-Approved/dp/B0075ZH3SU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3V3F5SIC906J2&keywords=USCG+emergency+water&qid=1655245418&sprefix=uscg+emergency+water%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-5

I'd be posting on the stupid wives thread because mine would inevitably fuck up and spill water everywhere trying to get it out of these packages. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, achooloco said:

You should be able to get through 2 weeks with three 24-packs of water per person.  We often take bottled water with us when leaving the house so cycle through them.  Live in Texas so have a garage, attic, and closets.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ok, so two things are at play. Drinking water vs. I need to flush my toilet water. I have 5, 10 gallon cubes. I can fill them up in an emergency with the water that is in my pipes and water heater. People over look their water heater. Your dogs/cats/canary/koala pets can drink that. I tend to keep one full at all times. Yeah, it ain't for me or humans to drink, but I can flush the toilet. 

In an emergency you don't take showers. You clean your hands and brush your teeth. If you know what you are doing that does not require running the sink. 

For cooking and drinking the rule of thumb is 1 liter per person per day. and yes, that INCLUDES cooking. You have other fluids in your house to use. I keep a good supply of juice. Apple is my go to for my emergency kits. Just need to be smart when you start prepping. Don't need a ton of shit, just the right shit. 

And there is always beer. 

Prior to the COVID shutdown, because I honestly didn't know what to expect, (also did this before the freeze), I bought 10 1 gallon jugs of water from HEB and also bought 2 of the large powdered gatorade buckets from Sam's.  Had fresh water and electrolyte replacement if we needed it to get through about 2 weeks if need be.  

40 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The problem in Austin is by the time you find out you're gonna need it, it's too late.  

Upside.....there is a spring behind my house.  Runs a pretty good and steady drip of clean-enough water, even in dry conditions.  Our absolute, back-against-the-wall emergency is to go get water there -- can be used for cooking, can boil for drinking, can sure be used to flush a toilet tank.  Haven't ever had to go that far, we've always had enough on hand just from filling the tub and such when shit gets real, and keeping a few gallons on hand for drinking for a couple of days.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Upside.....there is a spring behind my house.  Runs a pretty good and steady drip of clean-enough water, even in dry conditions.  Our absolute, back-against-the-wall emergency is to go get water there -- can be used for cooking, can boil for drinking, can sure be used to flush a toilet tank.  Haven't ever had to go that far, we've always had enough on hand just from filling the tub and such when shit gets real, and keeping a few gallons on hand for drinking for a couple of days.

get some of the straw water filters and you can drink it. I have two per person in my immediate group (my house is the go to for oh shit moments). Have used them in some nasty water and never messed me up. 

And if you have kids, keep Tang/gatorade/country time around. Makes shitty water taste not like shitty water and is cheap. I konw I am dealing with the Surly 1%, but was always something I kept in my deployment bag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We have a well and a backup hand pump if the power goes out. Actually would only need to use the hand pump if the power went out and the generator ran out of fuel. Never really needed use it in the last 18 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4HE said:

2 water wells and a backup generator that runs on natural gas. Shit would have to go really bad for us to not have water. 

address please? ya know, so I know what place to assist/attack. :)

Smart man, good set up. How deep are the wells? I had a great one at my old farm. Never was worried about water for the family and animals. Damn I miss that place. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Haha 1

I bought a couple of these after the freeze. 
From what I've read it's only for a one-time use because you can't get it completely dry to store after one use. 
That's fine gives me close to 90 gals of water  
41tLulG3yML._AC_SY580_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergency-Container-Drinking-Hurricane/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1Q3UHL10HU0TV&keywords=bathtub+water+storage+bladder&qid=1655386268&sprefix=bathtub+wat%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-3

Seems like a good idea. But how does this help if they’ve shut the water off?

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Seems like a good idea. But how does this help if they’ve shut the water off?

You have water in your pipes already. So you fill this up with what's in there. Use hot water heater for other shit. 

Everyone should have a water bob. I have one in each bathroom.