PRE-CLEAR-GE vs Poors

midtown

CLEAR-PRE-GE vs POORS  

78 members have voted

1. 1. If you are traveling with a poor person do you?

• Wait in the poors line with them?
    • Go through and wait for them on the other side?

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone with GE traveling to Canada, take your card with you. Sitting in a forever customs line in Montreal right now because they won't let us use GE without the cards that you are not supposed to have to use (we've never used them anywhere). Fuck this stupid airport.

Toronto did that to me as well.  Such bullshit.  They let me go through the GE security line anyhow and then of course, the kiosk grabbed my face immediately via the recognition software.  But such BS - it is wrong and incorrect. 

• Like 1

Toronto did that to me as well.  Such bullshit.  They let me go through the GE security line anyhow and then of course, the kiosk grabbed my face immediately via the recognition software.  But such BS - it is wrong and incorrect. 
They wouldn't even let us in the line. Absurd.

Just now, Chewbacca said:
1 minute ago, Js1 said:

They wouldn't even let us in the line. Absurd.

I had to talk my way through, she really didn't want to let me without the card but her supervisor/superior was like, just go ahead, after a minute or two. 

I had to talk my way through, she really didn't want to let me without the card but her supervisor/superior was like, just go ahead, after a minute or two. 
Thankfully we had plenty of time, but is it asking too much for them to have a rudimentary knowledge of a program that CBP offers? I know you're in Canada, but it is a US Customs area you are going into.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Thankfully we had plenty of time, but is it asking too much for them to have a rudimentary knowledge of a program that CBP offers? I know you're in Canada, but it is a US Customs area you are going into.

Rude...rudi...rudim...ru-dime...thats a big word.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my GE renewed after 4 months on the day I was actually returning to the US (but didn't need to do another "interview").  Family was in tow - they don't have GE -and we used the "Mobile Pass" app to digitally fill-out the entry form and submitted it when we landed.  At IAH, if you used the app, you have a special line where you jump the line and we got through almost as fast as I would have with GE... Costs nothing...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:30 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 6/20/2022 at 12:40 PM, Js1 said:

I used to travel to Calgary quite a bit for work.  Even with a GE card, they wouldn't let you jump to the front of security so I went ahead and got a NEXUS card. It's a pain to obtain and to renew as you basically have to do an interview in Canada as well to get one...

3 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

GE is a scam. As mentioned above, MP is the way to go. You cant travel internationally with GE either.

For $15 for five years it's completely worth it.   Indeed MP can definitely speed things vs the regular line.  My GF used it at IAH a few weeks ago and I only beat her by 15 mins with my GE.   And if you are the only plane landing and its a 73 then yeah not a huge time saver.  But if you happen to land with 3-4 supers with 900 people piling in at once it does make a huge difference.  I've seen some pretty long MP lines on more than one occasion.    Why even deal with it for a few bucks a year?

Edited by midtown

23 minutes ago, midtown said:

For $15 for five years it's completely worth it.   Indeed MP can definitely speed things vs the regular line.  My GF used it at IAH a few weeks ago and I only beat her by 15 mins with my GE.   And if you are the only plane landing and its a 73 then yeah not a huge time saver.  But if you happen to land with 3-4 supers with 900 people piling in at once it does make a huge difference.  I've seen some pretty long MP lines on more than one occasion.    Why even deal with it for a few bucks a year?

@ATexanAbroad likes to shit on anything that he doesn't do.  It's kinda his thing.  And the combo of GE and PreCheck for $20 per year is a screaming deal for what you get from it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

I used to travel to Calgary quite a bit for work.  Even with a GE card, they wouldn't let you jump to the front of security so I went ahead and got a NEXUS card. It's a pain to obtain and to renew as you basically have to do an interview in Canada as well to get one...

Yeah, when we talked to the CBP supervisor, he said they were confusing it with Nexus.  Sounds like that's an ongoing thing, he said next time tell them you were told by a CBP supervisor that if you get your slip of paper from the kiosk, you are allowed to go through the GE line.  That slip is all you need.  I doubt the mouth breathers would have let me do that, though.  They were pretty intent on keeping me and my family out of that line.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

@ATexanAbroad likes to shit on anything that he doesn't do.  It's kinda his thing.  And the combo of GE and PreCheck for $20 per year is a screaming deal for what you get from it.

He deserves a nomination for Most Sanctimonious Poster on Surly.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone with GE traveling to Canada, take your card with you. Sitting in a forever customs line in Montreal right now because they won't let us use GE without the cards that you are not supposed to have to use (we've never used them anywhere). Fuck this stupid airport.

On our recent trip home from Montreal, they were offering to let people out of the main security line if you had GE and your card. We didn’t have our cards so we had to wait.

Then we got through security and there was a very long line for U.S. customs. No one was monitoring that line and we saw the GE kiosks at the far end so we skipped over to those and got right through without our cards.

Agree with your point though, anyone traveling to Canada should take your GE card with you.

43 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

On our recent trip home from Montreal, they were offering to let people out of the main security line if you had GE and your card. We didn’t have our cards so we had to wait.

Then we got through security and there was a very long line for U.S. customs. No one was monitoring that line and we saw the GE kiosks at the far end so we skipped over to those and got right through without our cards.

Agree with your point though, anyone traveling to Canada should take your GE card with you.

They were monitoring the GE line after security when we were there.  So we got denied twice.   Montreal is a terrible airport.  I would have expected something bigger and nicer for the second largest city in Canada.

1 hour ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Oh my god I’m so sorry I didn’t take into account GE saved you losers going back from Cabo from total destruction.

the real poors have to use GE. Get out of the country and MP works fine.

In addition to being a gigantic cunt with a strong resemblance to Rocko, you also have a habit of posting shit that is flat out incorrect.

I think discussion of any of these services as being a matter of poors vs. non-poors is absurd, but your post about GE being for the poors when you favor MP is especially absurd given that GE costs $100 and MP is free. If anything is "for the poors", it would be the free service (MP).

Telling people to get out of the country is also laughable considering the only reason to ever use GE would be if you have been out of the country. It's not intended for people who purely fly domestic. WTF are you even suggesting here?

What does any of this have to do with Cabo or anyone's specific preference of travel destination? It's just another case of you stereotyping literally every other person that you believe is unlike you, less well-traveled, and all around inferior. Rocko would at least post his pay stub to convince us of that. 

Global Entry is a very simple way to get through customs at basically any U.S. airport when returning from any international destination. That would apply to any of your preferred destinations as well as people who visit Cabo. (I've never been to Cabo, but it seems like a good party destination and I get why other people like it).

Global Entry has helped me multiple times to catch a connecting flight on my way back into the country. Even when I don't have a flight to catch, having a shorter time in U.S. customs is the ultimate goal and it's hard to believe anything is consistently faster than GE. I'm not sure I've ever waited longer than 10 minutes, and I would guess <2 minutes is the norm from my experience. 

Mobile Passport is only accepted at certain airports and that number is apparently getting smaller. Why would I want to rely on a program that isn't available everywhere? What happens when you arrive back in the U.S. at an airport that doesn't have it? Wait in the regular customs line with everyone else?

Finally, Global Entry also includes PreCheck. Mobile Passport does not.

There's a very obvious winner here and it's not MP. The only 2 drawbacks to GE are the cost (reimbursable by every decent credit card) and the interview (which I've done once to cover 10 years of membership). Or I suppose if you have a sketchy background and can't pass the interview, then you can't get GE.

Edited by wild_turkey
  • Hook 'Em 5

I'm more than happy with my GE especially since my card covers the cost.  I haven't gotten it for the wife and teens since they have done overseas once in 3 years because of COVID and with the Clear trial and with MP app, it hasn't added any time to my travel in the past 3 years. (MP line in IHA was almost as fast as GE,,) Wife will get her GE this year as she will be coming on business trips with me in the coming years as the kids are old enough to now leave at home...  

Bigger issue for me will be when the fam all goes back to Europe as kids and I also have EU passports while wife doesn't so we'll have to wait in the non EU citizen line with her or divorce proceeding will initiate...

Edited by Grimas

8 hours ago, Grimas said:

Bigger issue for me will be when the fam all goes back to Europe as kids and I also have EU passports while wife doesn't so we'll have to wait in the non EU citizen line with her or divorce proceeding will initiate...

When we flew into Heathrow a few weeks ago with our kids in tow, they directed us into a special queue for families. There was one group in front of us, while the regular line had close to a hundred.  Got through in about 1 minute. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

When we flew into Heathrow a few weeks ago with our kids in tow, they directed us into a special queue for families. There was one group in front of us, while the regular line had close to a hundred.  Got through in about 1 minute. 

I went through LHR in early May and there was no line at all.  And I arrived at 7am which is peak arrival in the UK from the US.   Just an automated passport control turnstile thing.   Place your passport in a slot.  Smile for the camera.  Scan boarding pass and the doors open.  Not sure what que anyone would even stand in.  Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I was heading to a domestic flight to Scotland. 

Edited by midtown

22 minutes ago, midtown said:

I went through LHR in early May and there was no line at all.  And I arrived at 7am which is peak arrival in the UK from the US.   Just an automated passport control turnstile thing.   Place your passport in a slot.  Smile for the camera.  Scan boarding pass and the doors open.  Not sure what que anyone would even stand in.  Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I was heading to a domestic flight to Scotland. 

I've never gone through domestic security there but my 4 times through has always been to an actual border agent. I will say for all the horror stories you hear about the lines at Heathrow, my limited experience has always been great. I've never waited 5 minutes in line for anything.

It wasn't domestic security,  I did that about 5 mins after leaving immigration.  It's a completely automated passport control.  Much like they have leaving the Netherlands.   Zero human interaction.  Perhaps they are just testing it in areas of Heathrow with less traffic.  I have to assume a relatively small number of passengers arriving at Heathrow are boarding a domestic flight.   The bulk are either transiting or entering London.  

Lol they even have a youtube of it

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

In addition to being a gigantic cunt with a strong resemblance to Rocko, you also have a habit of posting shit that is flat out incorrect.

I think discussion of any of these services as being a matter of poors vs. non-poors is absurd, but your post about GE being for the poors when you favor MP is especially absurd given that GE costs $100 and MP is free. If anything is "for the poors", it would be the free service (MP).

Telling people to get out of the country is also laughable considering the only reason to ever use GE would be if you have been out of the country. It's not intended for people who purely fly domestic. WTF are you even suggesting here?

What does any of this have to do with Cabo or anyone's specific preference of travel destination? It's just another case of you stereotyping literally every other person that you believe is unlike you, less well-traveled, and all around inferior. Rocko would at least post his pay stub to convince us of that. 

Global Entry is a very simple way to get through customs at basically any U.S. airport when returning from any international destination. That would apply to any of your preferred destinations as well as people who visit Cabo. (I've never been to Cabo, but it seems like a good party destination and I get why other people like it).

Global Entry has helped me multiple times to catch a connecting flight on my way back into the country. Even when I don't have a flight to catch, having a shorter time in U.S. customs is the ultimate goal and it's hard to believe anything is consistently faster than GE. I'm not sure I've ever waited longer than 10 minutes, and I would guess <2 minutes is the norm from my experience. 

Mobile Passport is only accepted at certain airports and that number is apparently getting smaller. Why would I want to rely on a program that isn't available everywhere? What happens when you arrive back in the U.S. at an airport that doesn't have it? Wait in the regular customs line with everyone else?

Finally, Global Entry also includes PreCheck. Mobile Passport does not.

There's a very obvious winner here and it's not MP. The only 2 drawbacks to GE are the cost (reimbursable by every decent credit card) and the interview (which I've done once to cover 10 years of membership). Or I suppose if you have a sketchy background and can't pass the interview, then you can't get GE.

TL:DR

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Nice.  We're going through LHR to Edinburgh in November.  That sounds much better than the usual shitshow.

Global entry is super cute for everyone who like wants to go to Mexico for the weekend 

Like I said before it really doesn't do much for the Mexico or Belize trips.  If all I did was go to Mexico once a year I probably wouldn't bother.  Esp if you are landing at a small intl airport like Bergstrom or Hobby on a 73.  Throw in that those flights are seldom banked due to being on a similar time zone.   It makes a massive difference when you are coming off of one of 3-4 supers at large intl airport like SFO, ORD, DFW, JFK etc from Europe or Asia where the airlines bank multiple wide bodies at the same time.  You can easily get 6-7 supers landing within an hour of each other.  That's well over 1000 passengers all at once.

Just now, midtown said:

Like I said before it really doesn't do much for the Mexico or Belize trips.  If all I did was go to Mexico once a year I probably wouldn't bother.  Esp if you are landing at a small intl airport like Bergstrom or Hobby on a 73.  Throw in that those flights are seldom banked due to being on a similar time zone.   It makes a massive difference when you are coming off of one of 3-4 supers at large intl airport like SFO, ORD, DFW, JFK etc from Europe or Asia where the airlines bank multiple wide bodies at the same time.  You can easily get 6-7 supers landing within an hour of each other.  That's well over 1000 passengers all at once.

Yea sure it makes sense if all you do is enter the US and ME does the same thing. I don’t live in the US thank god.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Yea sure it makes sense if all you do is enter the US and ME does the same thing. I don’t live in the US thank god.

If it did the same thing I wouldn't have  had to wait for all the people I've traveled with who used mobile passport. 

You must have gotten fisted in the global entry interview.  

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

You ever seen the part where you’re the cop taking the train home to your fat wife and I’m on a yacht throwing lobster at you….

Lulz.  Is this where we compare paystubs, Rocko?  You talk about living abroad because it's too expensive to live in the US.  I can afford to live here and live the lifestyle I want to live, with my white wife, too!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, midtown said:

If it did the same thing I wouldn't have  had to wait for all the people I've traveled with who used mobile passport. 

You must have gotten fisted in the global entry interview.  

Since he doesn't live in the US, PreCheck is worthless to him.  That's the biggest benefit of the whole thing, IMO.  GE is just a cheap add on to Pre.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Since he doesn't live in the US, PreCheck is worthless to him. 

Unless you fly directly into the city you are living or doing business in and you are walking right out of the airport you are going through security in the US.  And when you leave the US you are doing security again.   

Btw if he/she is Jordan Belfort yacht rich they aren't even flying domestic and doing security or immigration and using MP with the masses in the first place. 

Edited by midtown

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

Unless you fly directly into the city you are living or doing business in and you are walking right out of the airport you are going through security in the US.  And when you leave the US you are doing security again.   

Btw if he/she is Jordan Belfort yacht rich they aren't even flying domestic and doing security or immigration and using MP with the masses in the first place. 

He's not wealthy.  He's said multiple times that he lives abroad because he couldn't afford the same lifestyle in the US.  To each his own, but the way he shits on everything that isn't what he would do is Rocko-esque, for sure.

What's amusing about this guy is the 'holier than thou living abroad' attitude, and his dismissive 'travel choice of dominance' posts, when everything about him says insufferable American that most non-Americans hate.  

Good job, good effort.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

What's amusing about this guy is the 'holier than thou living abroad' attitude, and his dismissive 'travel choice of dominance' posts, when everything about him says insufferable American that most non-Americans hate.  

Good job, good effort.

Hey now, Americans hate him too

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

He's not wealthy.  He's said multiple times that he lives abroad because he couldn't afford the same lifestyle in the US.  To each his own, but the way he shits on everything that isn't what he would do is Rocko-esque, for sure.

I think you misunderstand. 200k gives you a lot more in colombia or Portugal than it does in New York where I’m based out of.

12 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Good job, good effort.

Oh yea Americans and I don’t get along because I don’t deepthroat everything that is American. Man let me tell you, foreigners love it because they don’t feel like there with some pastel PFG god loving abortion hating MERICA moron.

Edited by ATexanAbroad
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
9 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:
I think you misunderstand. 200k gives you a lot more in colombia or Portugal than it does in New York where I’m based out of.

200k is not wealthy. My friend. Not even close. I think you misunderstand.

Doesn’t matter 

Edited by ATexanAbroad

Oh yea Americans and I don’t get along because I don’t deepthroat everything that is American. Man let me tell you, foreigners love it because they don’t feel like there with some pastel PFG god loving abortion hating MERICA moron.

My lord, you're a douchebag. I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2