LIV tour discussion

Wulaw Horn

18 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Somebody will pick them up. Best guess right now is a streaming thing from a platform not in anyway associated with the PGA.

And by streaming I mean something people could stream free, supported by ads. Standard tv shit.

Anyone currently working with, or wanting to work with, the pga won’t go near it for fear of scuttling any current/future relationships.

There goes anything abc/espn/cbs/nbc out the door. Apple/amazon are probably out.

Doesn’t leave many options.

Interesting game to watch play out. 

I don’t get why Fox wasn’t interested for free. They show nothing during the summer and they have cable sports channels without a lot going on. Allegedly they were giving the rights away for free and Fox said no. It feels like Friday content could go on the cable, Saturday and Sunday during the spring and summer on main fox, and back to cable during the foosball season. Not sure why at the price point free that’s didn’t work for them. They must really hate golf after the deal with the USGA went tits up. 

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t get why Fox wasn’t interested for free. They show nothing during the summer and they have cable sports channels without a lot going on. Allegedly they were giving the rights away for free and Fox said no. It feels like Friday content could go on the cable, Saturday and Sunday during the spring and summer on main fox, and back to cable during the foosball season. Not sure why at the price point free that’s didn’t work for them. They must really hate golf after the deal with the USGA went tits up. 

Thurs/Fri could go on cable, Saturday could be on Fox, Sunday there is no LIV golf to show because 54 holes in the Saudi Member/Guest is a only a 3 day shotgun start. With free tea and Jamalah at the half-way houses followed by a final dinner to announce low gross/net winners and meal of kabsa, baba ghanoush, and mandi.

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My best guess is that even when the content is free, they don’t believe they could overcome the production costs with advertising. 

Or they just didn’t want to get near something so toxic and volatile that  may blow up before the contract is done. 

11 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Thurs/Fri could go on cable, Saturday could be on Fox, Sunday there is no LIV golf to show because 54 holes in the Saudi Member/Guest is a only a 3 day shotgun start. With free tea and Jamalah at the half-way houses followed by a final dinner to announce low gross/net winners and meal of kabsa, baba ghanoush, and mandi.

Ha. 
I know they run thur-Saturday but my suspicion is they either got to 72 holes if they can get world golf points or they could flip to Friday-Sunday during the spring/summer if that’s what fox wanted. 

how much are production costs for running a golf tournament?  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

how much are production costs for running a golf tournament?  

That was kind of my point. LIV was handling that, and just needed somewhere to show it. Granted there is still some cost to Fox, but not near what it could be. 

And they still wouldn’t bite.

• Hook 'Em 1

Howell saying it's not about the money is funny.  I'm sure its not ALL about the money but it is about the fact that it is EASY money. 90% money.

other 10% is 54 holes, no cuts, free planes and shit, 14 tournaments that would probably take me 4 more years on tour to make(wild ass guess as I didn't run the numbers).

and If you happen to win one bonus..EASY MONEY

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Quite the collection of assholes that LIV is assembling 

The pro golfer his peers want to see get beaten up in the car park

Source: AP

f3bcee3043a68ac1913e16e1a065b03c?width=7

Watson was once voted as the most disliked player on the PGA Tour by his fellow golfers. 

An ESPN.com poll surveyed 103 tour pros   (21 major champions) and asked them a variety of serious and lighthearted questions. One of the questions asked golfers which of their peers they would be least likely to assist in the event that a fight broke out in the parking lot. Bubba’s name showed up the most.

Asked by journalists if he felt irritated over the poll, its findings or its timing, the 2012 and 2014 Masters winner said no, preferring instead to take it on the chin.

“I take it as I need to improve as a man. I take it with pride. I need to get better. And I think over my career, since my rookie season to now, I’ve gotten better,” he said.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

That was kind of my point. LIV was handling that, and just needed somewhere to show it. Granted there is still some cost to Fox, but not near what it could be. 

And they still wouldn’t bite.

I didn’t realize LIV was also offering up production costs. Damn. 

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

In Bubba's defense, that was before BDC came on tour

I laughed.  But I don’t think BDC is disliked generally by the tour. tiger really likes him and that counts for a lot. I think he’s just a weird dude, probably in the spectrum, and people don’t relate to him but not a bad guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I didn’t realize LIV was also offering up production costs. Damn. 

They’re already putting out a stream and paying for its production, right?

Now they have commentators.

Seems like a lot of the “heavy” lifting is being handed to whomever already?

13 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

So, my question at this point is, who is Ferehty going to broadcast to?

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The YouTube channel. 

YTTV could be the end result. They can stream it free because of ads.

Not sure how that all comes together and works, but something akin to that looks like what they end up with.

I’m sure the PGA is putting pressure on behind the scenes to keep them off reasonably accessible television. 

4 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

My best guess is that even when the content is free, they don’t believe they could overcome the production costs with advertising. 

Or they just didn’t want to get near something so toxic and volatile that  may blow up before the contract is done. 

Fox has quite the history of avoiding toxic and volatile things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I laughed.  But I don’t think BDC is disliked generally by the tour. tiger really likes him and that counts for a lot. I think he’s just a weird dude, probably in the spectrum, and people don’t relate to him but not a bad guy. 

I’m sure nobody likes being in the same group with him, but that’s not quite the same thing as hating someone.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, pops said:

Can they rename it the douchebag tour?  Or the CIV tour for cunts? 

There's not a single US LIV golfer whom I like, Bubba included. Either I have a knack for disliking assholes or assholes have a way of congregating, especially when selling out for money is involved.

I'm sticking with guys like Scottie and Jordan. 

Fuck LIV. Team PGA.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

How tone-deaf is Norman?

Norman also touched on what he’s heard from Fred Ridley, who’s the chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, and the Aussie did not hold back.

“I spoke to Fred Ridley. They’ve weighed in pretty hard against (LIV). The majors should stay Switzerland, they have a responsibility for one event, not a league. But it also tells you is there a cabal there? This is the slippery slope you go down about what LIV is starting to expose.”

45 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

19TH HOLE

‘Is there a cabal there?’ – Greg Norman fires ominous shot at Fred Ridley and The Masters

Jul 29, 2022           by  Matt Vincenzi 

Since its inception, there has been endless controversy surrounding LIV Golf.

Perhaps the most common criticism of the Greg Norman led Golf league is the origins of the money being used to lure players away from the PGA Tour.

There is no denying that the Saudi regime funding LIV Golf has a poor record when it comes to human rights, which has led many to accuse the regime of “sportwashing”, which is defined as “the practice of an individual, group, corporation, or government using sport to improve their tarnished reputation, through hosting a sporting event, the purchase or sponsorship of sporting teams, or by participation in the sport itself.”

Greg Norman, who is the CEO and face of LIV Golf, has recently adressed the “blood money” claims he and his organization have been accused of to the New York Post.

Speaking to the NY Post, Norman stated, “We are not a political organization. We are here to play golf, serve fans, grow the game, and give additional opportunities to players. I also have seen first-hand the good that golf can do around the world, and Saudi Arabia is no different.”

Norman was then asked for his thoughts on Saudi Arabia’s connection to the 9/11 attacks and what he would say to the families who oppose LIV Golf.

“I offer my deepest sympathy to the families of 9/11. My heart goes out to anyone affected by that tragedy. While some may not agree, I continue to believe that golf is a force for good around the world, and that includes Saudi Arabia.”

Another interesting portion of the interview was when Norman was asked about LIV Golf potentially accruing OWGR points. If they fail to do so, many of the golfers who’ve defected from the PGA Tour will be ineligible to play in major championships going forward.

To which Norman had some interesting comments.

“That’s a good question. The person who’s at the helm is extremely intelligent and understanding about growing the game of golf — Peter Dawson (the former head of the R&A). He gets it. Peter and I have had open discussions about this. I flew to Scotland to sit down and have dinner with him. He has our application, so he’ll go through the right process to get it there.

We brought up recusing Monahan and (Keith) Pelley (the DP World Tour commissioner) and (Martin) Slumbers (who heads the R&A) and everybody who’s had a negative comment about LIV, and they cannot vote. They can’t. From an OWGR (Official World Golf Rankings) standpoint, if I’m in (Dawson’s) shoes, I’m getting independent legal advice.”

Norman also touched on what he’s heard from Fred Ridley, who’s the chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, and the Aussie did not hold back.

“I spoke to Fred Ridley. They’ve weighed in pretty hard against (LIV). The majors should stay Switzerland, they have a responsibility for one event, not a league. But it also tells you is there a cabal there? This is the slippery slope you go down about what LIV is starting to expose.”

Per New York Post reporter Mark Cannizzaro, during their discussion Greg Norman told him that Ridley and Augusta National Golf Club are very much against LIV and aligned with the PGA Tour.

The PGA Tour season may be beginning to wind down, but it seems the biggest stories in the world of golf are just beginning.

The majors stand to lose if they block the LIV guys out- especially if they end up with another 5-10 guys next year. The majors aren’t supposed to be about the PGA TOUR but rather assembling the best players together. 
I don’t see how a masters without a lot of those guys is preferable to one with them, but I suppose I will watch anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So do they have strippers as the cart girls at these events?
Asking for a friend

CSB in spoiler

Spoiler

BTW - have I ever told you about some of my buddies who used to play Sugar Creek, and would play the Robert on Friday afternoon rounds because there was a house on the 9th fairway that (allegedly) had strippers nude/topless sunbathing. One guy, who is a notorious slicer would even somehow manage to find the left rough just to take a look.
Somehow they were never there the times I could make it out on a Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched my first 10 minutes of coverage on this and didn’t hate the production value. Like Feherty  as an announcer of course. Watching anything on my phone or Computer is pretty much a non starter for me so I’m out unless the get a tv deal but the product that they are showing is reasonable quality I think. Better than the shit you get from The Open. 

The majors stand to lose if they block the LIV guys out- especially if they end up with another 5-10 guys next year. The majors aren’t supposed to be about the PGA TOUR but rather assembling the best players together. 
I don’t see how a masters without a lot of those guys is preferable to one with them, but I suppose I will watch anyway. 

The Augusta National GC membership upon being accused of being a “cabal”

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t think they need to bother blocking anyone. The majors can keep their exemptions as they are and the LIV guys can keep qualifying as they have been. I don’t see any of they majors directly blocking anyone that has an exemption. If someone chooses to go play on a tour that doesn’t qualify for owgr points, we’ll that’s on them. They won’t lose any sleep over it when they lay down on their pile of cash. Most of the guys that have any real hope at competing in majors have exemptions for now anyway. That’s the only real way the tours can hope to limit the young stars from jumping to LIV. It won’t become an issue until guys like brooks and Bryson start to lose their exemptions, if liv is still around by then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why not just call it the We Did 9-11 Tour? Maybe have a bone saw as a logo. Each tournament could begin with the ceremonial tossing a homosexual off of a high rise.

Get creative with tournament rankings. If a player doesn't make the top ten they'll have to surrender their wive's and daughter's drivers licenses. Fall out of the top 25 and they have to have their clitoris removed. Make the PGA regret the way they mistreated all these players for so many years and show them how to put on a true entertainment exhibition. This is what they get for denying the players so many opportunities.

I do fear for Patrick Reed, though. I'm concerned that the Saudis might have enough evidence on him to justify the amputation of his hands. Market that. Make it part of the season drama.

Congrats to Greg Norman for shifting his legacy. Now, pissing the Master's down his slacks will be the second most notable thing he's done. He's a great salesman and I'm buying all in. I can't wait for the arrival of my new Wahhabist merch. I want to be covered head to toe in Salafi gear like a real American. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

Quit being gay about this. 

Do you even comment in the PGA thread? Or are you just in here to get angry about the Saudis? TL is making fun of you for getting so mad about this. And sick use of "gay". 

• Haha 1

Say what you want about the source of the money, but Henrik dont care. Picked up $4.375 million today, lets take a look at his winnings the last 5 years on the PGA circuit

image.thumb.png.f7affa448c4472bfa6d07ffc3e34c1e5.png

There's only a few golfers on the LIV tour that are currently worth a shit (Henrik isnt one of them), but it makes complete sense for guys like Stenson. I'm sure he's also won some coin on the European tour, but as he's currently ranked 60th there  it cant be all that much. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Want to talk about who is really living right on this thing? 
Pat Perez. He’s sucked his two starts on the LIV but his team (the 4 aces) has won both times he’s played. His cut?  $1.5 million for tagging along with DJ, Reed and whoever the 4th guy is. I don’t know that they have used his score yet (team competition is top 2 scores on each of day 1 and 2 and top 3 scores on day 3). 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Want to talk about who is really living right on this thing? 
Pat Perez. He’s sucked his two starts on the LIV but his team (the 4 aces) has won both times he’s played. His cut?  $1.5 million for tagging along with DJ, Reed and whoever the 4th guy is. I don’t know that they have used his score yet (team competition is top 2 scores on each of day 1 and 2 and top 3 scores on day 3). 

I think their 4th is Gooch. but yeah, Perez is probably like, "Can you fucking believe this?"  he does have 28M in tour earnings he'll probably earn half that in just 4 years in this thing before it implodes.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think their 4th is Gooch. but yeah, Perez is probably like, "Can you fucking believe this?"  he does have 28M in tour earnings he'll probably earn half that in just 4 years in this thing before it implodes.

I guess he’s been on the tour a long time as I think he was contemporary of el Tigre growing up, but that’s a hard number for me to fathom for that dude. 

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just another example of what a crock of shit "Reindeer Games" this current LIV set up is.  

Play terrible, win $1.5million

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

After seeing this play out for a couple tournaments  I really would like to see this thing become a super tour. Not necessarily this thing- but for a super tour to exist where the top 50 in the world tell all the other guys to fuck off and play the same 12 events every year, plus the 4 majors, with none of the riff raff involved. I think that would be fun. If the tour goes to that with elite, no cut, small events I’d like that. All the guys playing though. So 12 is probably too many. 2 in February, 2 in March, 1 in April, May, June and July (b/c majors), 2 in August. Then maybe 1 tournament in September with the top 10 guys from the season (must play all events maybe?) playing for something stupid like 50 million. Then. I’d never have to watch schmucks or dudes I’ve never heard of win. 
Relegate the bottom 20 every year and promote the top 20 from the regular tour. Maybe top 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I guess he’s been on the tour a long time as I think he was contemporary of el Tigre growing up, but that’s a hard number for me to fathom for that dude. 

he has basically played 22 years on tour so he's earned about 1.3M  a year.   doesn't seem like much but he's top 50 all time in career earnings.  crazy. 

1.3M a year for a pro golfer, given their expenses, doesn't seem like you clear a bunch.  I wonder how much a guy like him makes in sponsorships.

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

After seeing this play out for a couple tournaments  I really would like to see this thing become a super tour. Not necessarily this thing- but for a super tour to exist where the top 50 in the world tell all the other guys to fuck off and play the same 12 events every year, plus the 4 majors, with none of the riff raff involved. I think that would be fun. If the tour goes to that with elite, no cut, small events I’d like that. All the guys playing though. So 12 is probably too many. 2 in February, 2 in March, 1 in April, May, June and July (b/c majors), 2 in August. Then maybe 1 tournament in September with the top 10 guys from the season (must play all events maybe?) playing for something stupid like 50 million. Then. I’d never have to watch schmucks or dudes I’ve never heard of win. 
Relegate the bottom 20 every year and promote the top 20 from the regular tour. Maybe top 10. 

SECSECSEC

• Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

he has basically played 22 years on tour so he's earned about 1.3M  a year.   doesn't seem like much but he's top 50 all time in career earnings.  crazy. 

1.3M a year for a pro golfer, given their expenses, doesn't seem like you clear a bunch.  I wonder how much a guy like him makes in sponsorships.

It’s a lot. My buddy who was almost a pga pro (and buddys with my old teammate who was on the tour for 5 years) claims it’s worth 500k-1M for all but the biggest schmucks out there. That’s not all sponsorships, that’s also corporate events, speaking gigs, interactions, getting put up, dudes wanting to hang out with a tour player blah blah blah.