LIV tour discussion

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Cam Smith would be a bigger add, yes. Probably the top amongst whom they currently pay. 

But he hasn’t jumped. Yet. 

It’s done. 

Check out the @nolayingup twitter feed on the LIV players suit to force the PGA to let them play in the playoffs. Sound like the LIV lawyer might be Joe Pesci.  

21 minutes ago, field said:

TRO denied.  Pleasantly surprised.

Yeah PGA used what the LIV golfers had recently said against them.  Also the emergency TRO request should have been submitted in June

Glad to see Judge rule in the PGA's favor...

Edited by LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

I'm guessing they already have the appeal prepared and ready to file.  They'll need the order denying the TRO though in order to file the appeal (I think).

Orders denying a TRO are normally not appealable unless the denial has the effect of deciding the merits of the case.  Not the case here.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Cam Smith would be a bigger add, yes. Probably the top amongst whom they currently pay.    But he hasn’t jumped. Yet. 

In interview at FedExCup this week, Cam won't confirm or deny going to LIV.  Just continued to not answer questions about it. 

Cam did say that he wants to try to win the FedExCup and play in the "2022 Presidents Cup"

BREAKING NEWS: Judge denies TRO; LIV Golf players will not compete in playoffs

BY: RYAN LAVNER        AUGUST 9, 2022 

A federal judge on Tuesday ruled that three suspended PGA Tour players who left for LIV Golf will not be allowed to participate in the FedExCup Playoffs, which begin Thursday in Memphis, Tennessee. 

In a two-hour hearing in San Jose, California, to consider the players’ motion for a temporary restraining order, Judge Beth Labson Freeman determined that Talor Gooch, Matt Jones and Hudson Swafford knew the potential consequences of joining the rival LIV circuit and should not be granted emergency injunctive relief to play in the Tour’s lucrative postseason.

The judge said that the three players have already been well-compensated for playing LIV Golf, which has lured players with significant signing bonuses and $25 million tournament purses, and that their attorneys on Tuesday failed to establish irreparable harm.

The ruling means that the Gooch (No. 20), Jones (No. 65) and Swafford (No. 67) will not advance their position in the FedExCup Playoffs, potentially endangering their major-championship prospects for next year. Players who reach the 30-man Tour Championship qualify for three of the four majors in 2023. 

The decision is a significant legal victory for the PGA Tour, whose chase for the $75 million FedExCup was threatened to be overshadowed by the presence of the three suspended members at TPC Southwind. World No. 1 Scottie Scheffler said Tuesday in Memphis that he was “definitely frustrated” that his peers were suing the Tour.

The three players’ motion was separate from the broader antitrust lawsuit that was filed Aug. 3 by 10 players – including Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau – who claimed they were unfairly suspended and that the Tour has used monopoly power to crush its opposition. The Tour has argued that it is a member organization that has rules and regulations that players choose to accept.

The field for the FedEx St. Jude Championship now stands at 121 players.

Losing Cam Smith is not good for the Tour. The thing is though, the Tour is what made Cam Smith. And when he’s gone, another 25 year old who worked his ass off and played the KFT and the opposite field events will win a British Open or The Masters. He’ll rise in the OWGR, get all the sponsorships, an no one will even be thinking about Cam Smith. LIV is a very lucrative one-way ticket to irrelevance.

For all their talk of growing the game, LIV hasn’t even made a token effort to set up a feeder league or relationships with junior / amateur golf. Competition is what creates great golfers, not money. Eventually the Saudis will tire of trying to pick off the good golfers at a nine-figure price tag and the whole thing will disappear into thin air.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Losing Cam Smith is not good for the Tour. The thing is though, the Tour is what made Cam Smith. And when he’s gone, another 25 year old who worked his ass off and played the KFT and the opposite field events will win a British Open or The Masters. He’ll rise in the OWGR, get all the sponsorships, an no one will even be thinking about Cam Smith. LIV is a very lucrative one-way ticket to irrelevance.

For all their talk of growing the game, LIV hasn’t even made a token effort to set up a feeder league or relationships with junior / amateur golf. Competition is what creates great golfers, not money. Eventually the Saudis will tire of trying to pick off the good golfers at a nine-figure price tag and the whole thing will disappear into thin air.

I'm going to steal your second paragraph 

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

BDC:  "But... But... But  what about the complex I'm going to build thru MY FOUNDATION in DFW to promote myself.... I mean help junior golfers "  😋

I mean, the LIV has been around for about 3 months, and it’s been a scramble to get out, the idea that they will have a foundation laid to “grow the game” is pretty absurd as an ask and really quite silly. 
I don’t believe they are going to grow the game but to spike the football 45 seconds into the game is a little silly.

Also- I believe they are setting up some sort of JV tour with the Asian tour in various places that could arguably be considered a first step toward growing the game. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

BDC:  "But... But... But  what about the complex I'm going to build thru MY FOUNDATION in DFW to promote myself.... I mean help junior golfers "  😋

all these guys(PGA/LIV) do this for themselves.

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, the LIV has been around for about 3 months, and it’s been a scramble to get out, the idea that they will have a foundation laid to “grow the game” is pretty absurd as an ask and really quite silly. 
I don’t believe they are going to grow the game but to spike the football 45 seconds into the game is a little silly.

Also- I believe they are setting up some sort of JV tour with the Asian tour in various places that could arguably be considered a first step toward growing the game. 

this. And I don't need them to grow the game...tee times are already a pain in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

No, but the players bolting are starting to trend younger as opposed to twilight of career guys. Like I said, this is starting to look very not good. 

It's looked problematic for me for awhile. I think Ancer leaving was the one that really pounded it home for me that it's a legitimate issue. Bryson and Koepka are the two best golfers still but they're both such odd personalities and I'm not sure how much they care about winning PGA events.

It's definitely only getting worse. Young has been playing some really good golf. Maybe the sooner they can figure out a compromise the better - in which case guys like him leaving only lights a hotter fire under the PGA's ass. 

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

Rumor is Cam Young will be joining Cam Smith in leaving. This is starting to look very not good. 

Yup - the younger the guys jumping ship the worse the look, I would think ol Greg has been reaching out to Joohyung (Tom) Kim, the youngest of the upcoming stars

What’s Cam going to get? $200M? These numbers are pretty silly. I can see why they’re hard to turn down.

I know a doc who was offered $2.5m per year for the part time job of tour medical director.  He said no because it was back when they thought most tournaments would be in Asia and his wife is loaded so he didn’t have to chase the money. He also had pro golf friends texting him and telling him not to do it. These guys all know who is really talking to LIV. Where there’s smoke there’s fire on this deal. Cam is gone. 

19 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

And when LIV goes bust, they got the cash and go back to what they were doing before.

With a fatter wallet.

Maybe??  Would the PGA Tour really welcome them back?  I kind of hope not.  Fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Maybe??  Would the PGA Tour really welcome them back?  I kind of hope not.  Fuck them. 

the question would be if they could prevent them from playing in Q school to get back in.  I'm sure they can tell them no you can't jump right back in playing tournaments.

24 minutes ago, Hate said:

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the question would be if they could prevent them from playing in Q school to get back in.  I'm sure they can tell them no you can't jump right back in playing tournaments.

Right. They would have to go through Q. They’ll make them earn it back for sure. Some would, some would not. 

I doubt sponsor exemptions would be made available, even at a lesser attended tournament.

If liv makes it 5 seasons or better before they crash and burn, I would think it becomes less likely someone closer to the Champions Tour would go back. 

Edited by thunderlounge
Fuck Chip Brown

DJ is the interesting one.  He has lifetime exemption I believe so it is possible if they let others go through Q he could come back without going through Q.

Phil has it but he's done.  the question for him is champions tour and majors.

Putting this here vice the PGA thread, as its impact will be more drastic (if they even end up getting WGR points.

3E0F262F-27BD-40D5-B630-716578475EB2.thumb.jpeg.6abd7826c82feb196d9cdfff8f746948.jpeg

I missed a good part of the discussion, but the gist of what I caught was something about points awarded for a tournament would change week to week based on quality of competition. 

Example: Placing whatever spot in the Masters (or similarly strong field) would be worth more points than the same position in a weaker field tournament. 

Which means the fillers on the LIV tour would bring that strength way down, so each place would receive way less points. If they ever get approved for points to begin with, of course  

5 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I missed a good part of the discussion, but the gist of what I caught was something about points awarded for a tournament would change week to week based on quality of competition. 

That’s not a response to the LIV tour or a decision on whether their tournaments will be eligible for points. . They started a study on this in 2018 and announced the changes last year. It is now being implemented. 

Edited by TonyTexas

I would agree with the premise that it’s a convenient excuse. I’m not sure anyone in his position would intentionally WD from the BMW when you’ve really got a shot to win the tour this year, just to avoid a potentially awkward meeting with Tiger.

I was under the impression the meeting invites were just out yesterday/today?

Cam needs to quit being a little bitch and shit or get off the pot.

If it weren't such a fucked up decision, he'd already be gone. That fact that he's still trying to be coy about it tells him everything he needs to know about the decision. He knows it's fucked up and wants to enjoy "it" while it lasts because he's going to be watched by 100k on Youtube from that decision forward.

The fact of why he's hiding the decision is lost on him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If he had shit then he wouldn’t have been eligible to play for the pot (of gold) that is up for grabs in the playoffs. 

Fedex payout is $18M. He's about to make $100M or more just by joining LIV and never again winning another tournament. Maybe he hasn't announced because he wants the $18M. Or maybe he still hasn't announced because these are the last meaningful tournaments he's going to play for awhile. He does have the Open exemption. Will the Masters and US Open still honor their exemption? 

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If he had shit then he wouldn’t have been eligible to play for the pot (of gold) that is up for grabs in the playoffs. 

Except he hasn’t made public any intentions to join, let alone tee it up in an event. Thus, still eligible.

I think it’s coincidence at this point. Simply based off when he WD and when invites went out. 

If he wasn't gonna go he'd say it. Period. He's gone. He and Adam Scott are probably the easiest to get to since they're Australian and probably grew up idolizing Norman. The fact that they've met the guy in person and still feel that way tells you all you need to know about them.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Except he hasn’t made public any intentions to join, let alone tee it up in an event. Thus, still eligible.

I think it’s coincidence at this point. Simply based off when he WD and when invites went out. 

He's said much with what little he has said. He's gone. I imagine the documents have been signed. I guess he could change his mind, but if he's already signed, then what.

Something about a groin (?) injury incurred Sunday. Which I think (would have to check in depth, but away from my desk at the moment) he made known Sunday late? Early Monday?

It’s a sticky spot really. The PGA can’t do shit until he tees it up in one of their events. Until then, even if he said he was headed that way next season, they can’t really do anything.

But Z’s right. Being able to check those boxes (before running off, if so) would be a big deal to any player. And being 2 weekends away from the end game, it would make zero sense to shit on it now. 

I think he may have actually hurt himself. (Although it is potentially rather fortunate timing.)

• Hook 'Em 1