LIV tour discussion

Wulaw Horn

Pat Perez continues to make large money for doing little to nothing. His team wins again and he pockets another $750k for the team part of the tourney. That’s 4 in a row and 3 million for riding DJ’s coat tails. Good work if you can get it. 
DJ with a high finish and has now won 12 million in 5 events. 
I believe that’s roughly even with Scotties official money earnings for the year which was a record. 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I'd probably watch it on TV under the right circumstances but no way in hell I'm watching on Youtube, and the demographics on golf are just absolutely brutal for streaming.  It's old white men (and the occasional woman) and they don't want to stream- so this was always going to be a fiasco. When Fox said they didn't want it (even for free), that basically ended them getting TV coverage in America. I can't see, going forward, anyone else who would want any part of this as ABC, CBS, NBS, ESPN, golf channel etc are all partners/collaborators with the PGA. They better develop some fans internationally.  Looks like that's the plan based upon where the money has gone. 

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Pat Perez continues to make large money for doing little to nothing. His team wins again and he pockets another $750k for the team part of the tourney. That’s 4 in a row and 3 million for riding DJ’s coat tails. Good work if you can get it. 
DJ with a high finish and has now won 12 million in 5 events. 
I believe that’s roughly even with Scotties official money earnings for the year which was a record. 

I'll bet the ass didn't buy a single drink for anyone afterwards either.

Edited by Pam Cummings

On 9/19/2022 at 7:58 AM, 4th&Five said:

I don't really have an issue with these dudes taking the paycheck. Whatever, it's their skill set; use it as they see fit. It's a ton of money...who wouldn't be tempted?

I just know that part of their calculation is the assumption that, when the Saudis get bored of shelling out millions for--whatever the fuck this is--they'll be able to stroll right back onto the Tour and be welcomed with open arms.

So make a shit ton of money for a few years while actively harming the Tour, then pretend like nothing happened when it goes tits up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

LIV nearing a revolutionary new distribution model where they PAY to be broadcast, are responsible for production costs, and have to find their own sponsors. Isn’t this supposed to be a money making venture?

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34680944/report-liv-golf-nearing-deal-buy-air-broadcast-events-fox-sports

Oddly enough, Fox was initially among the broadcast companies that wouldn't work with LIV. That changed when Lachlan Murdoch, the executive chairman and CEO of Fox Corp., reportedly forced the company to be involved with LIV, according to Golfweek.

I’d love to know how much he was personal paid by the Saudi’s to force that move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bryson has the to be the biggest pussy in the history of sports. Screams at caddy when asks him is he’s alright and snatched the towel out of his hands and screams “NO” like a 6 year old.

Falls to a knee like he was hit by a sniper. Jesus H, how does anyone like this guy?

Speaking of miserable pussies, we have a new leader, re-filed his ridiculous lawsuit. Looking for a sympathetic MAGA judge.

1424ac59711e3561b83f1ec73ff9d45c.jpg

I think the rest of the golf world will be able to outlast LIV.  With a few notable exceptions, its the late 30s and 40s tour.  Is LIV going to dip back into their pockets for another billion in a couple years with the majority of its roster (and almost all of the guys anyone has heard of) retire?

Reeds lawyer is quite insane, apparently his viewer experience has been hurt by the PGA’s behavior towards LIV Golf.

If you could sue for something like this, I would have filed multiple lawsuits against the Texas Longhorns and Dallas Cowboys. I could name Jerry Jones and the UT Atheltic Dept. as the perpetrators.

799e4a97c3209e0b6000de8d643b489a.jpg

29fbf3d8c562e593449fc024ee8aef11.jpg

On 9/29/2022 at 9:54 AM, Mileslong said:

Bryson has the to be the biggest pussy in the history of sports. Screams at caddy when asks him is he’s alright and snatched the towel out of his hands and screams “NO” like a 6 year old.

Falls to a knee like he was hit by a sniper. Jesus H, how does anyone like this guy?

Speaking of miserable pussies, we have a new leader, re-filed his ridiculous lawsuit. Looking for a sympathetic MAGA judge.

1424ac59711e3561b83f1ec73ff9d45c.jpg

So Patrick Reed’s own lawyer contends that one of his sponsors has actually suffered a drop in sales due to being associated with him? Bold strategy.

• Like 1

LIV Golf forms strategic alliance with MENA Tour in hopes of securing rankings points for players

The MENA Tour, a feeder circuit that has staged tournaments in the Middle East and North Africa, had been shuttered for more than two years during the COVID-19 pandemic before staging a tournament in May. Founded by the Dubai-based Shaikh Maktoum Golf Foundation in 2011, the MENA Tour was recognized by the OWGR governing board in May 2016.

In a news release on Wednesday, the MENA Tour said the "alliance will boost the MENA Tour's development programs and immediately qualify LIV Golf for OWGR points, starting with the LIV Golf Thailand event at Stonehill this week."

"This is a very exciting day for the MENA Tour and our players," MENA Tour commissioner David Spencer said in a statement. "Through this alliance, our players will now have enhanced playing opportunities and stronger pathways. This is great news for the future of many young players on our Tour."

Through the partnership, all LIV golfers also become members of the MENA Tour, according to Spencer. MENA events have purses of $75,000.

"We are taking this mutually beneficial action to support the game at the developmental level and because of the importance and fairness of LIV golfers qualifying for OWGR points," LIV Golf president and COO Atul Khosla said in a statement. "We're pleased to create pathways that give more opportunities for young players, while also giving fans rankings that include all the world's best golfers."

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34732120/liv-golf-forms-strategic-alliance-mena-tour-hopes-securing-owgr-points-players?platform=amp

OWGR statement:

So LIV just co-branded their next two tournaments as MENA tournaments and expected that would be sufficient to get them owgr points for those two events. 

Edited by heso
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m surprised that LIV hasn’t used bots to boost numbers. Definitely seems like something that would be in their toolbox. 

I'll watch every second for $200K a year. Hit me up, Greg. Also, when did phil become such a dork.

Dan made 30 million (playing) this year inn6 events with 2 more to play. He could well end up at about 40M for 8 events. 
He also got 4/125 guaranteed- so that’s like a 70M year for him. He’s also more or less irrelevant in the golf world now, and down to playing 2 majors. I’m pretty sure he’s probably OK with his decision. I wonder how many other guys would trade with him. That’s a looooooot of money. I’d think almost everyone in the golf world would. The guys like Spieth and Rory that probably wouldn’t are probably making 40 or 50 themselves with sponsorships. 

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dan made 30 million (playing) this year inn6 events with 2 more to play. He could well end up at about 40M for 8 events. 
He also got 4/125 guaranteed- so that’s like a 70M year for him. He’s also more or less irrelevant in the golf world now, and down to playing 2 majors. I’m pretty sure he’s probably OK with his decision. I wonder how many other guys would trade with him. That’s a looooooot of money. I’d think almost everyone in the golf world would. The guys like Spieth and Rory that probably wouldn’t are probably making 40 or 50 themselves with sponsorships. 

I assume you mean DJ? While quite a few people might jump at the numbers you listed for DJ, there's a pretty big drop to the second guy on the list

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/how-much-has-each-liv-golfer-earned/ 

The prize money is better on LIV, but until they pick up a TV deal AND they prove there is an audience for the LIV tour, I would imagine the endorsement earning potential probably takes a huge hit. Who the fuck is paying big dollars to endorse players that compete on a youtube stream that doesn't even crack 100K viewers? 

20 hours ago, Blotto said:

I assume you mean DJ? While quite a few people might jump at the numbers you listed for DJ, there's a pretty big drop to the second guy on the list

The prize money is better on LIV, but until they pick up a TV deal AND they prove there is an audience for the LIV tour, I would imagine the endorsement earning potential probably takes a huge hit. Who the fuck is paying big dollars to endorse players that compete on a youtube stream that doesn't even crack 100K viewers? 

MBS is the answer to your question

and thanks for the link - the only LIV guy I'm interested in is James Piot, he comes in a 32 on the list. Playing in all 6 events and earned just over $1.5 mil. His will be an interesting journey to see how the PGA tour handles someone trying to come from LIV to PGA. He just turned pro this summer, and has never had any status on the PGA Tour; so he took the path to guaranteed money but he didn't have to revoke his membership, but then again he has no OWGR standing (going 7 MC in his 7 events played)

22 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

MBS is the answer to your question

and thanks for the link - the only LIV guy I'm interested in is James Piot, he comes in a 32 on the list. Playing in all 6 events and earned just over $1.5 mil. His will be an interesting journey to see how the PGA tour handles someone trying to come from LIV to PGA. He just turned pro this summer, and has never had any status on the PGA Tour; so he took the path to guaranteed money but he didn't have to revoke his membership, but then again he has no OWGR standing (going 7 MC in his 7 events played)

Q-School. 

Same for any other defector. Have to earn your way back. After a year or two on LIV, I’m not sure a few of them could make it back through.

On 9/30/2022 at 8:34 AM, alincoln said:

I think the rest of the golf world will be able to outlast LIV.  With a few notable exceptions, its the late 30s and 40s tour.  Is LIV going to dip back into their pockets for another billion in a couple years with the majority of its roster (and almost all of the guys anyone has heard of) retire?

This is what I've thought from the beginning. The Saudis will get bored and just stop funding it at some point. The PGA Tour just needs to remain firm, continue to make changes to counter-balance LIV as much as possible and just wait them out.

On 10/11/2022 at 4:00 PM, Blotto said:

I think that's who he was talking about. But DJ isn't earning money above the reported $125M they gave him, right? I thought these guys got their money up front and then any prize money "earned" was NOT in addition to the initial lump sum.

On 10/13/2022 at 11:08 AM, TonyTexas said:

FIGJAM has lost his fucking mind. 

FIGJAM, FUCKSTICK -- you say tomato, I say tomahto

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

This is what I've thought from the beginning. The Saudis will get bored and just stop funding it at some point. The PGA Tour just needs to remain firm, continue to make changes to counter-balance LIV as much as possible and just wait them out.

I think that's who he was talking about. But DJ isn't earning money above the reported $125M they gave him, right? I thought these guys got their money up front and then any prize money "earned" was NOT in addition to the initial lump sum.

FIGJAM, FUCKSTICK -- you say tomato, I say tomahto

No- the money they got up front was signing bonus. They get to keep all their earnings. DJ made another 30M plus this year in addition to signing bonus. 

BTW- I just figured out why Phil said that with a straight face- he said he didn’t ever do an interview with him. They were talking on the phone in a non-formal way and I assume he didn’t consider that to be an interview (as sort of indicated by his half ass’ed I thought that was off the record) but maybe background or something like that for his book. 
it’s a stupid word game he’s playing I think. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

And Pat Perez makes another $4M for winning the team competition. I guess, as points in his favor at least this time he was mildly helpful to the cause as opposed to being carried along throughout. 
I’m pretty sure that dude just made like 7.5M in team competition alone for doing almost nothing, in 8 tournaments. He has to feel like the luckiest dude alive.