LIV tour discussion

Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They offered Phil one last year but he fucked around and won the PGA so he didn’t need it.

Fucking FIGJAM is so awesome. And ridiculous.  And Absurd.  And Sublime.  And Funny.  What a beautiful mess that dude is.  My favorite car crash in pro sports. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I gotta say, Mr. Charles "im not gonna be silenced, im gonna say anything i want because thats the way it is" Barkley joining up with Prince Killed-A-Guy-For-Being-Critical would make him look like a pretty fucking big idiot and make me lose pretty much all respect i had for the guy.

Edited by Pam Cummings

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I gotta say, Mr. Charles "im not gonna be silenced, im gonna say anything i want because thats the way it is" Barkley joining up with Prince Killed-A-Guy-For-Being-Critical would make him look like a pretty fucking big idiot and make me lose pretty much all respect i had for the guy.

His point when he says “everyone in sports is taking some money from unsavory places and people, it’s the nature of it” is spot on. 

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

His point when he says “everyone in sports is taking some money from unsavory places and people, it’s the nature of it” is spot on. 

Sounds like a convenient justification to me. Sounds a lot like a "yet you participate in society, very interesting!" type of argument imo.

Obviously he cant to liv and CBS. CBS has a partnership with the PGA Tour. So he's willing to turn his back on Erneh and the guys for more money? K.

Edited by Pam Cummings

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Its hardly limited to sports. I imagine every major American bank takes money from the Saudis, and those that dont are probably trying to figure out how they can. Plenty of PGA tour sponsors have no problem making money in Saudi Arabia. Defense contractors like Boeing, Raytheon, GD, etc.... make tremendous profits selling to SA. Biden, Trump, Obama, W, etc... all have visited Saudi Arabia with hat in hand. Where's the national outrage against those entities? Somehow FIGJAM, DJ, and BDC are to be held to a higher standard?

I'm not a fan of the LIV tour because I dislike the format, would prefer tournaments in my time zone, and it basically splits talent between two tours making both substandard. But to chastise meatheads like Phil, DJ etc... for taking a paycheck from the Saudis, while American corporations do so with impunity is fucking ridiculous. Yeah, the Saudis are scumbags. And the US has been in bed with them for a long, long time. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Its hardly limited to sports. I imagine every major American bank takes money from the Saudis, and those that dont are probably trying to figure out how they can. Plenty of PGA tour sponsors have no problem making money in Saudi Arabia. Defense contractors like Boeing, Raytheon, GD, etc.... make tremendous profits selling to SA. Biden, Trump, Obama, W, etc... all have visited Saudi Arabia with hat in hand. Where's the national outrage against those entities? Somehow FIGJAM, DJ, and BDC are to be held to a higher standard?

I'm not a fan of the LIV tour because I dislike the format, would prefer tournaments in my time zone, and it basically splits talent between two tours making both substandard. But to chastise meatheads like Phil, DJ etc... for taking a paycheck from the Saudis, while American corporations do so with impunity is fucking ridiculous. Yeah, the Saudis are scumbags. And the US has been in bed with them for a long, long time. 

uh, can you please stop...this is the thread where we tell Charles, Phil, and Norman that we've lost all respect for them because they took money from someone that everyone on the planet has taken money from.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I have decided to come out of retirement as a caddie, if the Liv tour wants to pay me 2.25 million.

My resume includes four and a half years caddying at a local country club, and I did caddy it won Ben Hogan tour qualifier about 25 years ago

Did you caddy for the douchebag next to me at the range today who wouldn't shut the fuck up about the city tournaments he's almost won? 

This is now a complete close show. What the hell does Barkley know about golf? Nothing, now he and feherty babbling about nonsense while the Hotballs are battling with the iron heads for first place.

Tractor pull in back with clowns and mines waking around. Now this may be the strangest golf promo of all time. Phil is batshit crazy now

8 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

McCord, Feherty, Barkley. Who’s next, Carrot Top? I’m not sure this is the correct route for LIV to take in their quest to be taken seriously. 

It’s a continuation of them trying to buy and fake their way to cool without having any idea what that actually is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I dont know,  man... Barkley,  whatever... but fharety and McCord?  That is great shit and something nbc/espn/CBS should have locked down a long time ago. But let's go with immelman and azinger and love and whoever the fuck else sucks. It's not like I can actually watch them on TV but those two will fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2022 at 5:08 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Hunter Mahan nails it. PGA better change how they handle younger players. Asap …

https://golf.com/news/hunter-mahan-tour-vs-liv-golf/

Dang... hate to say it, but golf audiences are going to keep declining unless they can find more ways to make it entertaining.

Lots of my friends and family ages 35 and below won't watch any golf except for maybe Sunday at The Masters...

• Hook 'Em 1

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022/7/27/23280807/2023-liv-golf-tour-schedule-announcement-team-format-changes-total-prize-money-match-play-captains

The LIV Golf Tour announced there will be 14 events on their schedule for 2023, with the team format continuing but captains now having their players for an entire season instead of changing from event to event.

LIV Golf today announced that the LIV Golf League will officially launch in 2023 with 48 players and 12 established team franchises competing in a 14-tournament schedule. The full slate of events will be announced at a later date and is expected to expand LIV Golf’s global footprint across North and Latin Americas, Asia, Australia, the Middle East and Europe.

Each team will be led by one established Team Captain and will follow a franchise model akin to other sports. Team Captains will compete and have the ability to build their franchises as they see fit in an effort to gain the greatest fan following and sponsor interest.

While the dates and locations of the schedule were not announced, the new schedule looks to “expand LIV Golf’s global footprint across North and Latin Americas, Asia, Australia, the Middle East and Europe.” The schedule is also said not to conflict with majors or international team events such as the Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup, despite LIV players being made ineligible for those events as of now.

The 2022 schedule saw five LIV’s eight events in the United States, with London, Bangkok, and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia the other locales.

A total of $405 million in prize money has been promised across a 2023 14-event schedule, with that projecting to $25 million for the 13 regular events, and another $80 million for the year-ending team match play event.

Currently there are 7 LIV "regular" tournaments with a $25M prize pool ($20M for individuals, $5M for teams) and a year end event with $30M up for grabs for top 3 players, and $50 million for teams. In the new schedule, there will be more events but still $25M per event and $80 for the final tournament. Its already losing money by the fistful, so I'm a little surprised the Saudi's didnt pump up the "per tourney" amounts to give the impression that this thing is gonna grow each year. whats another $100 million when Aramco banked $110 billion in profits in 2021  and presumably on track for much more this year?

It also appears they are aware that nobody gives a fuck about the team aspect of the LIV events so they are reconfiguring that aspect. Realistically, nobody gives a fuck about the actual individual competitions yet either, but that might improve once they get on TV which will eventually happen. 

Somebody will pick them up. Best guess right now is a streaming thing from a platform not in anyway associated with the PGA.

And by streaming I mean something people could stream free, supported by ads. Standard tv shit.

Anyone currently working with, or wanting to work with, the pga won’t go near it for fear of scuttling any current/future relationships.

There goes anything abc/espn/cbs/nbc out the door. Apple/amazon are probably out.

Doesn’t leave many options.

Interesting game to watch play out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Blotto said:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022/7/27/23280807/2023-liv-golf-tour-schedule-announcement-team-format-changes-total-prize-money-match-play-captains

Currently there are 7 LIV "regular" tournaments with a $25M prize pool ($20M for individuals, $5M for teams) and a year end event with $30M up for grabs for top 3 players, and $50 million for teams. In the new schedule, there will be more events but still $25M per event and $80 for the final tournament. Its already losing money by the fistful, so I'm a little surprised the Saudi's didnt pump up the "per tourney" amounts to give the impression that this thing is gonna grow each year. whats another $100 million when Aramco banked $110 billion in profits in 2021  and presumably on track for much more this year?

It also appears they are aware that nobody gives a fuck about the team aspect of the LIV events so they are reconfiguring that aspect. Realistically, nobody gives a fuck about the actual individual competitions yet either, but that might improve once they get on TV which will eventually happen. 

the team event could be interesting if they didn't do shotgun start.  Let's say a couple groups are coming down the last few holes with players that are in the team contention.  the guys that are already finished but on the teams could be around the holes that are left or at 18 being interviewed about their teammate and what to expect on the holes left.  kind of like Ryder Cup.

With shotgun start there is never any teammate interaction or real drama built up.

but whatever. It still fails in 4 years is my guess and PGA Tour adopts things that are deemed successful/interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

The weekly team thing is dumb but the could make it interesting if they had a couple of Ryder Cup style events. Have 4 teams of 12 players. Each team would play each other in an 18 hole match, 9 holes of  four-ball, 9 of foursomes. The team with the most points after the 3 matches plays the team with the fewest, team #2 plays #3 in singles. Team with most points at the end of 4 rounds wins. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Litig8r said:

Now that the Studio 54 disco golf league has more players than slots, it could be interesting if the did relegation like they do in kickball.  Inspired Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

You mean where the lowest on the money list lose their tour card and have to try to earn it back on a lesser tour? 

You may be on to something here. 

What would you call the lesser tour? Hopefully not something Korny.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Somebody will pick them up. Best guess right now is a streaming thing from a platform not in anyway associated with the PGA.

And by streaming I mean something people could stream free, supported by ads. Standard tv shit.

Anyone currently working with, or wanting to work with, the pga won’t go near it for fear of scuttling any current/future relationships.

There goes anything abc/espn/cbs/nbc out the door. Apple/amazon are probably out.

Doesn’t leave many options.

Interesting game to watch play out. 

I thought the rumor was Appletv?

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

You mean where the lowest on the money list lose their tour card and have to try to earn it back on a lesser tour? 

You may be on to something here. 

What would you call the lesser tour? Hopefully not something Korny.

Fuck that korny shit. Make them go back and get their masters, and play college golf for 2 more years. Or finish their degree if they left early. Make having that card mire special than their amex black and they’ll start caring. 

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I thought the rumor was Appletv?

Maybe. I’m not really sure what’s what with this thing today.

Spirit of the comment remains. 

‘Money didn’t play a role’: Why Charles Howell III says he’s ditching lucrative PGA Tour career for LIV Golf

https://golf.com/news/why-charles-howell-iii-ditching-pga-tour-liv-golf/?amp=1

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

You’re in your 40s and starting to bounce in and out of the top 200 OWGR. We all believe that you just couldn’t pass up the chance to play on the storied team crushers with Bryson. 

Edited by heso
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Those companies are owned by Warner. CBS’ parent company is Paramount. 

Got it. I assumed they owned them but apparently it's just a partnership for the tourney. Probably still too close to touch Liv. 

ESPN carries the first 2 rounds of the Masters and PGA right now, before CBS picks up the weekend. Don’t think they would risk it unless the money was stupid.

I would still think networks/streamers would shy away if they even think they might do business with the PGA down the road. When LIV dries up, miracles notwithstanding, the PGA may hold a bit of a grudge. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 6:17 PM, ztejas said:

I'd hope Uresti is cooler than that. I'm sure someone here knows him or has met him. 

Omar's a decent enough guy.  I didn't like the shenanigans he pulled to get into the PGA a few years back, and I'm sure he's got a bit of a Napoleon complex, but he's very approachable and just does his thing.  We've chatted a few times, and he's never come across as anything more than just a guy that likes to play golf.  I was hitting next to him on the range a few weeks ago, and his iron accuracy is still amazing.